PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa peeps! Eat Fresh, Green and Local!

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 08:31 AM
This just in from my Birkenstock wearing, hairy-legged wimmen friends...

Topic: Pearl Farmers Market
When: Every Thursday evening, 4:00p.m.-8:00p.m.
Where: SW corner of 6th & Peoria, in Centennial Park
Why: Locally grown food is delicious , nutritious, and healthy for you! Supporting farmers' markets are healthy for the local economy, and for building sustainable communities! What a great way to reduce your carbon footprint!

Featuring:

Creekside Plants and Produce/Blakely Family Farm Meats- Porter peaches, blackberries, tomatoes,egg plant, pork, beef, and lamb. All natural meats that are free of steroids and hormones.

Fresh Country Vegetables- Por Yang is back with her beautiful heads of cabbage, tomatoes,cucumbers, okra, squash, basil and more.

Valley Berries & Vegetable Co., Certified Organic-Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, mint, and basil.

Mannford Organic Farms- We could have some cantelope and watermelon, if he is finished baling his alfalfa:-) Also he said he has tomatoes, green beans, acorn & yellow squash, cucumbers, zucchini,herbs and more.

Mushroom Planet-Maitake, king oyster,lion's mane, oysters, and maybe some shiitake. A high source of protien and minerals!

Living Kitchen Farms- Four types of garlic and numerous selections of new potatoes. They offered purple colored potatoes, two weeks ago. A great article was in the Tulsa World yestereday, written by Natalie Mikles, about their Lavender Dinners. Be sure and pick up a brochure or business card for your special party and catering needs!

Natural Farms- Offers free range chicken, their own all natural low-cholestrol beef, and organic pork, and lamb. They also offer local honey, with the comb! Yum!

In addition to all of this fresh produce and meat, look for our other regular vendors like Well Bread Bakery, offering 100% whole wheat bread, Tillie's Old Fashioned peanut brittle and pecan brittle made with Oklahoma nuts, Melissa's Sweets, who brings fudge, small fruit pies, and specialty breads. Palace Cafe's Catering offers fresh salsa, hummus, salmon pate, and grilled chicken/veggie dinners.

A Variety of local artists, and artisans, such as Bath Deva, who offer handmade soaps, adirondack chairs, earrings, and more. Each week is different and interesting.

Today Topeca Coffee will offer ice coffees! Come out to the park, taste the flavors and listen to music by Jerry Bowen and the Blue Flame Band.

Be Vocal! Support Local!
Rita Scott
Pearl Farmers Market Manager
640-5408
[email protected]

Sponsored by Sustainable Green Country, www.sustainablegreencountry.com a local chapter of Oklahoma Sustainability Network,
www.oksustainability.org . Other community sponsors are Alrac Electric, AEO-PSO, and the Pearl District Association.

Mushroom Planet-

SoonerStormchaser
7/20/2007, 08:33 AM
Mushrooms...blech!

SoonerJack
7/20/2007, 09:24 AM
What!? No hemp clothing vendors? What kinda farmer's market is this?

OKLA21FAN
7/20/2007, 09:53 AM
Tulsa > OKC once again! :pop:

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 12:21 PM
Tulsa > OKC once again! :pop:

I would hazard to guess Tulsa has one of the hightest concentrations of "greenies" in the state. Frankly, I'm not sure that's a good thing.;)

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2007, 04:29 PM
This thread went down the *hitter about as quick as mine did. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94702

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 04:42 PM
This thread went down the *hitter about as quick as mine did. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94702

yeah. Frankly, I like to buy local whenever possible because it TASTES BETTER.

on a totally unrelated aside, have you ever driven up from Olathe to Weston MO in autumn? (It's near KCI)

picasso
7/20/2007, 04:42 PM
mmmm armpit hair sandwiches..........

there's also an outdoor market in front of Jason's Deli (Cherry St.) on Sat mornings.

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2007, 04:50 PM
yeah. Frankly, I like to buy local whenever possible because it TASTES BETTER.

on a totally unrelated aside, have you ever driven up from Olathe to Weston MO in autumn? (It's near KCI)

Yeah, that's a pretty popular place. You can actually go ski there during the winter on their man made slopes.:cool:

Okla-homey
7/20/2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty popular place. You can actually go ski there during the winter on their man made slopes.:cool:

When we were stationed at Leavenworth for three years, it was our favorite spot. The Apple Festival is magical.

But here's the point. Check out O'Malley's.

KC//CRIMSON
7/20/2007, 04:57 PM
When we were stationed at Leavenworth for three years, it was our favorite spot. The Apple Festival is magical.

But here's the point. Check out O'Malley's.

Yep, I've caught a buzz in that dungeon a few times.:cool:

StoopTroup
7/21/2007, 04:37 AM
http://www.beatles.com/hub/gfx/articles/tour/John%20sings%20I%20Am%20The%20Walrus.jpg