PDA

View Full Version : HDTV... whatdyaknow?

goingoneight
7/19/2007, 10:16 PM
So I'm wanting to buy an HDTV of my own, something like a 50" or 52" TV. I set up my friend's TV a few years ago and just fell in love with HDTV during football season.
Wondering how many F'n Hillbillies have got'em an HDTV? What does some of the acronyms (besides the obvious 'high definition') mean? What does the 5,000:1 mean? Which one lasts longer? Lowest maintenance? Best picture? I went to Best Buy and Wal-Mizzle and they point me directly to the most expensive piece in stock everytime. I understand (have heard) that certain types of TV are enhanced better by certain choices of TV sets. That could be salesmen talk, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Something about you like outdoor sports, pick HDTV X... you like special effects movies, pick HDTV Y... blah-blah-blah...

Rogue
7/19/2007, 10:34 PM
I'm looking for similar answers. Plasma? HD? Bang for my buck?

OUHOMER
7/19/2007, 10:38 PM
GOOD LUCK

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86484&highlight=HDTV

Harry Beanbag
7/19/2007, 10:41 PM
I got a Sony 55" LCD two years ago and couldn't be happier. You might want to PEEM 85Sooner.

goingoneight
7/19/2007, 10:48 PM
I have two crazy little cats and a dog that chases them all the time, so I'm thinking on of those thin dealios is an expensive toy to knock over if that means anything. RCA used to be a hosehold name, but all the retailers neg RCA like NickZepp in the Switer Center. Wal-Mart's 52" RCA is somewhere around $900, is not too bulky, but not too skinny either. Has a great picture on it, IMHO... but most outsiders look at it and go "...ehhhhh?" Same warranty and everything. So, again 8 is :confused:.

Frozen Sooner
7/19/2007, 10:51 PM
So I'm wanting to buy an HDTV of my own, something like a 50" or 52" TV. I set up my friend's TV a few years ago and just fell in love with HDTV during football season.
Wondering how many F'n Hillbillies have got'em an HDTV? What does some of the acronyms (besides the obvious 'high definition') mean? What does the 5,000:1 mean? Which one lasts longer? Lowest maintenance? Best picture? I went to Best Buy and Wal-Mizzle and they point me directly to the most expensive piece in stock everytime. I understand (have heard) that certain types of TV are enhanced better by certain choices of TV sets. That could be salesmen talk, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Something about you like outdoor sports, pick HDTV X... you like special effects movies, pick HDTV Y... blah-blah-blah...

5000:1 is contrast ratio. Which is kind of meaningless, because there's no standard. But generally speaking, the higher the number on the left, the better.

The better LCDs now give just as good a picture as a plasma, give off less heat, and uses less power. Screen life is kind of a non-factor anymore, no matter what salesmen will try to tell you. A plasma screen will last well longer than the normal usage-cycle of a television.

Go to www.avsforum.com .

85Sooner
7/19/2007, 11:37 PM
After all the posts and stickys, If you have not taken an opportunity to read all the information that has been posted here, my question is why? By your post count you have been here a while. Whats up? Mike and I have posted everything you could ever want to know about hdtv and the choices and while I respect your question , the answers have been here for you for over a year. I cannot speak for Mike but if you have specific questions email or pm us. If not select search and type in your items. Sorry I have had a bad day.

StoopTroup
7/19/2007, 11:47 PM
Chin up 85...

I never read any of it as I'm still enjoying the last technology bump I paid good money for....

I'm sure when I get to the point where I want to upgrade...I'll make the jump and read up.

We are definitely blessed to have so many different folks here in the SO that do help in whatever pops up in each of our daily lives.

Goingoneight...

I've read some of 85's thread about HDTV....

It's a wealth of information. Some of it was over my head.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your new toys.

Good Luck....

ST

goingoneight
7/20/2007, 12:49 AM
Did some reading on the subject. Thanks for all you guys posted, I made it a Favorite on my PC for when time gets closer to my preferred purchase date (money thang). I figured since HDTV is something that people get excited about all the time and talk about on a regular basis, it wouldn't kill to ask since I'm still kind of an SO n00b. I plead ignorance to the year-old thread and thought that old info meant it could have been out-dated ala computer stuff. That's why I didn't thread search. Surely this thread can't be so annoying that it rivals all the duplicates and mocks we see on a daily basis. Sorry your day sucked. I was just looking for a little insight because googling techno info tends to bring up confusing results and salesman talk, which I've generated more than my share of over the last two weeks.

Boomer.....
7/20/2007, 08:23 AM
I got a Sony 55" LCD two years ago and couldn't be happier. You might want to PEEM 85Sooner.
x2 except last Christmas.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/20/2007, 08:34 AM
Got a Panasonic 50-inch plasma HDTV. Love it and when games are in HD, they look great!

SoonerBOI
7/20/2007, 08:41 AM
Just my .02 cents. The key is to have a HD subscription although I like the Philipps HD ant, you can buy from WM if you do not want to pay for added cost. Personally I like LCDs (Sony) because they are entry level (projection tvs) and prices have gone down.

Widescreen
7/20/2007, 09:54 AM
Plasma's are fairly cheap but I wouldn't own one due to the potential for screen burn-in. There are techniques to avoid this, of course,but when you have little ones, it's a very real risk.

Taxman71
7/20/2007, 01:29 PM
Just my 2 cents after many, many hours of internet research:

Best: LCD flat-panel (let 85Sooner recommend a brand/model, but Sony's are nice). These are the future IMHO and will replace all others eventually.

Good:
Plasma - cheaper than LCD, wide viewing angle, but heavy and will eventually lose out to LCD. I don't like the reflective glass front though.
LCD RP - great pic for low price, but about 10-12 inches deep at the base and the picture fades from tsides and floor angles (I have a 50 inch Sony LCD-RP and love it).

Okay:
DLP - basically same as LCD RP, except tons of moving parts and many, including me, see the rainbow effect.

I have had a 50 inch Sony LCD-RP for 2 years and it rocks. Not as good of a viewing angle as a flat-panel, but nice picture.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/20/2007, 05:36 PM
I have a 50" Vizio plasma, absolutely love it. My parents have the same tv except it's like 60". My tv is a lot clearer than theirs, even on HD channels.

bluedogok
7/20/2007, 06:18 PM
I like the glass front of plasma screens, in optimum conditions they are great, everywhere else where there might be light they suffer. The LCD screens just work better in more environments.