PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Media picks Texas vs. Missouri

The Maestro
7/19/2007, 02:23 PM
I can see why with those strong finishes last year.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96351

Oh, well...doesn't matter. Just baffled with the love for Texas.

SoonerRain
7/19/2007, 02:27 PM
I'm guessing they are basing their prognostications on the fact that we will start over at quarterback again.

OSUAggie
7/19/2007, 02:37 PM
IRVING, Texas -- Missouri was picked to win the North division and Texas the South in a preseason poll of media that cover the Big 12 Conference.

Missouri returns 15 starters off of last year's 8-5 team that tied for second (4-4) in the North and participated in the Brut Sun Bowl. The Tigers won eight games in 2006 for only the 10th time in school history. MU will be looking for its third consecutive bowl appearance in 2007 behind junior quarterback Chase Daniel, who threw for 3,906 yards last season.

Nebraska was chosen to finish second in the North, followed by Kansas State, Kansas, Colorado and Iowa State.

Texas welcomes back 13 starters from its 2006 squad that finished 10-3 overall and second (6-2) in the Big 12 while ending the season with a win over Iowa in the Alamo Bowl. UT has logged at least 10 wins in each of the last six seasons, the only NCAA Bowl Division school to accomplish the feat.

Oklahoma, the defending Big 12 Champion, was picked to finish second in the South, followed by Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor.

The winners of the North and South divisions will square off in the 2007 Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship Dec. 1, at San Antonio's Alamodome. The game will be telecast nationally by ABC at 7 p.m. CT.

Big 12 teams will be in San Antonio from Monday-Wednesday, July 23-25 for the annual Big 12 Football Media Days. The 2007 season opens with a full slate of non-conference games beginning Aug. 30.

2007 Big 12 Preseason Football Poll (Media Vote)
North

1. Missouri (16) 136

2. Nebraska (8) 128

3. Kansas State 88

4. Kansas 63

5. Colorado 58

6. Iowa State 31

South

1. Texas (16) 135

2. Oklahoma (7) 126

3. Texas A&M (1) 82

4. Oklahoma State 81

5. Texas Tech 56

6. Baylor 24

Note: First place votes in parentheses

Theskipster
7/19/2007, 03:47 PM
Texas welcomes back 13 starters from its 2006 squad that finished 10-3 overall and second (6-2) in the Big 12 while ending the season with a win over Iowa in the Alamo Bowl.

And OU welcomes back 17 starters from its 2006 squad that finished 11-3 (Counting the loss to Oregon) overall and were the Big XII Champions (8-1).

The Maestro
7/19/2007, 03:51 PM
I think the QB thing is an issue...but it wasn't last year when they picked Texas first despite returning all kinds of studs except a QB...kind of like OU this year. But I also think it has to do with some people being so dumb to look at us and just say, "Well, AD is gone so they HAVE to be down!" Yeah, we sure hope we do as poorly without AD THIS year as we did LAST year when he was out.

SoonerStormchaser
7/19/2007, 03:54 PM
Umm yah...about that bowl game against that ****ty Iowa team...

I wouldn't go around touting that you almost LOST to a ****ty Iowa team...

Theskipster
7/19/2007, 04:06 PM
I think the QB thing is an issue...but it wasn't last year when they picked Texas first despite returning all kinds of studs except a QB...kind of like OU this year. But I also think it has to do with some people being so dumb to look at us and just say, "Well, AD is gone so they HAVE to be down!" Yeah, we sure hope we do as poorly without AD THIS year as we did LAST year when he was out.

There can be no other reason other than the QB situation for not picking OU to win unless they are expecting DJ Wolfe to cover the deep routes by himself again.

I just don't think they understand how good this team can be as long as the QB doesn't try to do too much and give the game away.

Let's face it, Paul Thompson was a below average QB. But the rest of the team around Paul made Paul look pretty good. And most of that team is coming back to support a new more accurate QB. How many times did Malcolm Kelly make catches of balls thrown behind him while being in the worst position to take a big hit? How much extra time did the O-line give Paul to make decisions towards the middle of the year that allowed him to look to a more open receiver?

I am very excited about this year.

bluedogok
7/19/2007, 04:12 PM
I prefer that they not always be picked as the favorite, they seem to play a little hungrier when they feel they have been "disrespected".

XingTheRubicon
7/19/2007, 04:22 PM
I wonder where the 24 media members are from?

picasso
7/19/2007, 04:23 PM
I thought my grandma was picked to win the north again.

JohnnyMack
7/19/2007, 04:25 PM
I thought my grandma was picked to win the north again.

She tweaked a hammy running sprints yesterday. She's listed as day-to-day right now. Probably explains why the media was scared to elevate her to #1.

Straz1999
7/19/2007, 04:28 PM
I think we are going to be in the same boat, maybe an even better one. Yeah, QB is a huge question mark but I feel it was an even more drastic event last year because of the last minute boot. Now we are prepared to groom somebody. They aren't going to be asked to win any games for us, just not lose them.

OSUAggie
7/19/2007, 04:30 PM
I wonder where the 24 media members are from?

There is at least 1 from Texas.... Gig 'Em

picasso
7/19/2007, 04:33 PM
I'd pick k-state over Mizzou. and I ain't giving k-state top choice.

burp.

The Maestro
7/19/2007, 04:44 PM
I think it is a repeat of last year...OU over Nebraska in the Big 12 title game.

And I tell you cause you care.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/19/2007, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't trust Mizzou, they're one of those schools that fails to meet high expectations. In fact, Mizzou would have a better chance of winning the North if Houston Nutt was their head coach instead of Dill Pickle Pinkel.

Tear Down This Wall
7/19/2007, 05:10 PM
When will the half-assed media ever stop predicting Mizzou to do anything other than suck? I'd be shocked as a flying pink muthafacker if they finish above third.

As for the Texas prediction...maybe. It depends on whether or not our defensive coaches, specifically Chris Wilson and BJW, can pull their units into shape. We look pretty dadgum sad at DE these days.

Alonzo Dotson and John Williams need to f'n do something for a change. What have they got...one year left? Chiselers.

And Stoops and BJW better not get into this secondary merry-go-round again. It's killed us the last two seasons. Cut the crap! Get two corners and two safeties ready to start each and every game.

Also, I think Texas Aggie will give both us and Texas a hell of a time. They kicked Texas in the jimmies down in Austin last year, and we only beat them by one measly point. They return the vast majority of the characters from that cast along with their nose-picking coach.

Problems.

By the way, I predict Baylor will suck it again in 2007...and Tech will let them! Dadgum pretenders. Do the honorable thing and join the Sun Belt where you both belong!

htownsooner7
7/19/2007, 05:10 PM
I love not being the favorite. Let Texas think they are the team to beat. Takes pressure off and will garner much more publicity when we pound them in Dallas.

Doged
7/19/2007, 09:51 PM
I think the north div could actually be a 2 horse race, for a change. Mizzou's got a pretty good team.

The south is, as usual, starting off as a 3 horse race. If it goes as usual, the OU-saxet winner will be in the driver's seat. The Aggies will lose two they expected to win, and OSEwe will make some noise before falling flat yet again.

There's no reason 5 of the 6 south teams shouldn't go bowling. Even Baylor might eek out enough wins to be at least bowl eligible.

I predict OU over Neb in the CCG again.

Soonerfan1993
7/19/2007, 09:58 PM
Texas always seems to be for the most part every year to be the pick to win the Big 12 South regardless of the fact they won it only twice in the past 7 years, while OU has won it 5 times.

2000 I believe Texas was the favorite
2001 I believe Texas was the favorite
2002 I believe Texas was the favorite
2005 I believe Texas was the favorite
2006 I believe Texas was the favorite

Only two years Texas wasn't was when OU was preseason #1 in the nation in 2003, and preseason #2 in 2004.

I would like to know who all votes for it?

goingoneight
7/19/2007, 10:00 PM
If you want a quick laugh, look at some of these predictions.

Aggy, aggy and more aggy in San Antonio... (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=37979) :D

Widescreen
7/19/2007, 10:05 PM
...participated in the Brut Sun Bowl.
Brut - by Fabergé.

Thank you.

Cheap mother****er.

MiccoMacey
7/20/2007, 09:27 AM
Predictions are fun, but aren't meant to be taken too seriously.

So they predicted us to be second in the South. I'd be willing to bet they've been wrong before.

And I'm sure Stoops couldn't care less.

If you think Bob Stoops gives a rat's behind about these predictions, then in the game of life you are now down one rat's behind to nothing.

mdklatt
7/22/2007, 04:05 PM
How many time is Mizzou going to have to biff it before the media gives up on them?

I don't understand how you guys can't figure out why Texas is ahead of us. They have a proven QB, and we do not.

Soonerfan1993
7/22/2007, 06:14 PM
How many time is Mizzou going to have to biff it before the media gives up on them?

I don't understand how you guys can't figure out why Texas is ahead of us. They have a proven QB, and we do not.

They also have no oline, no running game, and no defensive backfield.

On Kindle he proved just as much as Gerald McCoy did last year.