PDA

View Full Version : i hate crabgrass!

def_lazer_fc
7/18/2007, 05:01 PM
what in the hell is the most effective method of killing this godless bastard?

yermom
7/18/2007, 05:06 PM
salt the earth

royalfan5
7/18/2007, 05:07 PM
Can you get a round-up ready lawn? That's what I would do If I were you.

Taxman71
7/18/2007, 05:23 PM
Buy some crabgrass killing spray with MSMA in it (I think that's what it is). Very plain white bottle. Mix it with water in a sprayer and start killing.

Or just wash yourself with Rid, if that's what you meant.

royalfan5
7/18/2007, 05:27 PM
A deep chisel plowing, followed by a couple of passes with a springtooth harrow might go a long way as well.

def_lazer_fc
7/18/2007, 05:39 PM
A deep chisel plowing, followed by a couple of passes with a springtooth harrow might go a long way as well.
i have no idea what you just said. :D

royalfan5
7/18/2007, 05:42 PM
i have no idea what you just said. :D
Then it's probably not the best option for you.

Jerk
7/18/2007, 05:43 PM
The stuff with the MSMA will work like Taxman said.

The best thing to do is to put down the crabgrass preventer in late Winter: Feb. or early March.

def_lazer_fc
7/18/2007, 05:55 PM
cool, thanks for all the advice. hopefully i'll be sending that crap back to hell by the end of the week.

jk the sooner fan
7/18/2007, 05:57 PM
even with the msma, you're going to spend time pulling them up

you have to dry choke the weed out of the ground, so dont spray the msma until you know for certain you're going to have at least 3 days with no rain

do not water your yard for those 3 days........the crabgrass will choke out and can be pulled very easily once dead

goingoneight
7/18/2007, 06:00 PM
Burn it.

StoopTroup
7/18/2007, 06:01 PM
If you have a in-ground lawn sprinkler system....

I'd avoid this advice anyway...

:pop:

NormanPride
7/18/2007, 06:22 PM
Have Howzit come by and tell it some of his "stories". That should do the trick.

WILBURJIM
7/18/2007, 06:32 PM
It's been dry as a bone here and the crabgrass is the only part of my lawn green right now. Damn tough weed. I think I will do the whole lawn next year with the stuff.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/18/2007, 08:19 PM
The best thing to do is to put down the crabgrass preventer in late Winter: Feb. or early March.

What he said. Except to really ensure a crabgrass-free lawn, spread pre-emergent in the fall AND mid-Februrary. Spot treat the nearly nonexistent problem spots with MSMA or 2-4D with JK's advice in mind. Nice and hot with a couple of days of dry weather. I prefer to spray immediately after mowing and in the dead heat of the day when the plants are opened up and taking in moisture.

rufnek05
7/18/2007, 08:22 PM
if that doesn't work go to the health clinic, i think they give you a comb and some special shampoo.

def_lazer_fc
7/18/2007, 08:52 PM
Burn it.
i like this idea.

i wouldn't mind the weed that much, but i just moved into this house and mowing the back yard is a struggle. lawn mower getting clogged and all. and im sure the rain hasn't helped this situation. but yeah, a good freaking portion of my back yard is nothing but that dastardly weed.

side note: do i get any spek for using the word 'dastardly' in a sentence? :D

Jimminy Crimson
7/18/2007, 09:42 PM
With the weather we've been having, and since it's the backyard, you could always use regular roundup. It should fill in rather quickly...

But the best advice is prevention...