PDA

View Full Version : Football player who you were right/wrong about?

Collier11
7/18/2007, 04:41 PM
We all have made claims about how great or underrated someone is going to be, who did you get right or wrong? PRO OR COLLEGE

Right:
I thought coming out of college that Drew Brees was way underrated
Ron Dayne was not gonna hack it in the NFL
Antonio Gates I really thought would be good
Ed Reed was going to be a star
Even coming from TCU, I thought LT would be a star

Wrong:
Coming out of college I thought Carson Palmer was way overrated
I thought David Carr would be really good
Rocky Calmus was going to be an impact player
Eli was gonna be as good as his brother
Thought Steven Jackson was overrated

Im sure I could list forever, but these are the ones that came to mind right off the top of my head

The Maestro
7/18/2007, 04:53 PM
Right

Mark Clayton. Had stud written all over him from day one.

Wrong

Josh Huepel/Sage Rosenfels. Just could never believe that a weak sauce QB from Iowa State could make it in the league, but Josh couldn't. Still boggles my mind to this day.

Oh, and Brandon Daniels as a QB. I just knew after that Spring game in the Blake era when no one was allowed to touch the QB and he ran for all those touchdowns OU football was back, baby! (I'm actually kidding...I was embarrassed at all the fans cheering so loudly when it was apparent he was to remain untouched!)

BillyBall
7/18/2007, 05:09 PM
Brent Rawls

bstuff1979
7/18/2007, 05:12 PM
wrong: Jeff Frazier (though he did have to go through a stellar coach)

soonerboy_odanorth
7/18/2007, 05:18 PM
From a making it in the NFL standpoint...

Right:

I told lots of people around the office (up here in Minnesnowta) that the trio of OU receivers (Clayton, Bradley, & Jones) picked well after Troy Williamson out of South Carolina were all going to outperform Williamson to an embarrassing level, and that Williamson was one of the worst Top 10 draft picks I could ever remember.

Wrong (showing my age):

Brian Bosworth. 'nuff said.

SouthFortySooner
7/18/2007, 05:40 PM
Chiojoke Onyenyenagetcha

sanantoniosooner
7/18/2007, 05:51 PM
Chiojoke Onyenyenagetcha
Are you talking about his play or spelling his name?

Harry Beanbag
7/18/2007, 06:06 PM
We all have made claims about how great or underrated someone is going to be, who did you get right or wrong? PRO OR COLLEGE

Right:

I'll admit I'm not an NFL scout, but how the hell did you know Gates was going to be good, he didn't even play college football?

The Maestro
7/18/2007, 06:06 PM
I know this is a football thread, but this reminds me of Al Eschbach belting out on the radio one day, "Angelo Hamilton is going to be a lottery pick in the NBA!"

Uh, yeah...right there with Ebi Ere!

BudSooner
7/18/2007, 07:07 PM
Right about Tomlinson
Wrong about Dayne, wow...way wrong.
Wrong about Brees
Wrong about Culpepper
Right about Leaf

AlbqSooner
7/18/2007, 07:57 PM
If you check the archives here you will see me (when I was FlaSooner) predicting Brent Rawls would be OU's next Heisman winner.

I also predicted Tinker Owens would be a Howard Twilley type receiver in the NFL.

soonerinabilene
7/18/2007, 08:21 PM
Right- Drew Brees, coming out of high school AND college, I thought he was way underrated.

Dat Nguyen- I thought the Cowboys got a steal getting him, and that everyone saying he was too small for the nfl was retarded.

Cedric Benson- I figured he would disappoint whoever got him in the draft.

Sneezy Beltran- Played football with this guy in HS. Signed with Texas as a running back. He was considered one of the best rbs in texas. Very highly recruited. Only problem was he was dumb as a rock and had everything handed to him his entire life. And oh yeah, the guy I mentioned above came in the following year.

Wrong-
Julius Jones- I thought he was gonna tear it up for the cowboys. While he has been decent, he hasn't been what I thought it would be.

Lehman and Calmus- Injuries are teh suc

David Carr-even though we dont know how good he really is because hes never had a line worth a crap, his record cant be ignored.

Ken Dorsey- I hate Miami. HATE THEM. But Dorsey was an excellent college qb and I thought he had a really good chance of being a surprise in the nfl.

Collier11
7/18/2007, 09:19 PM
I'll admit I'm not an NFL scout, but how the hell did you know Gates was going to be good, he didn't even play college football?

It was more a hunch of him being so lightly regarded and being such a good athlete that I thought he would succeed, I def didnt know he would be all-pro!

OSUAggie
7/18/2007, 09:21 PM
Wrong - Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith

Right - Quit attempting to predict after those two flamed out.

soonerkaufmanII
7/18/2007, 11:45 PM
I always thought Jeff Garcia was a little "fruity," until I saw his wife.

MojoRisen
7/18/2007, 11:48 PM
Garcia and Rice go both ways :) - not to mention the other reciever SF had.

Right: Tikki barber - I knew was going to be a star coming out of college

Wrong: Antonio Perkins I thought would be all that in the League as well

TexasIsOUsBtch
7/19/2007, 01:03 AM
Right- Rashaun Woods.. i told people he would never make it in the NFL.. They didn't listen... He made a career off of the games against us when he torched a secondary that wasn't as good as advertised..

Wrong- Demond Parker... I thought he had the moves to make it in the league...

HTown77095
7/19/2007, 01:13 AM
u know what? I could care less about the NFL. All I know is OU football and DeMarco is going to be OUr next stud. mark it down.

We make not take the nc this year but it will come soon.....and maybe back to back baby....remember the 70's? J. Washinton....I can see alot a resemblence between him DeMarco.. Bring it on baby....back to back....

Aries
7/19/2007, 08:20 AM
I said about the third or fourth game of his first season that Malcolm Kelly was going to be a stud.

The wrongs are way too numerous to start into.

Taxman71
7/19/2007, 08:45 AM
Without question, Wes Welker. I never thought he would see the field in college, much less pro. I am usually accurate on other players, but could not have been more wrong about the little guy.

1stTimeCaller
7/19/2007, 09:16 AM
I just knew that Ryan Leaf would be head and shoulders better than Peyton Manning.

Big Red Ron
7/19/2007, 11:25 AM
I really thought Derrick Strait would be a stud in the NFL. He's been okay but not near what I thought he would be.

Antonio Perkins is another, has he even been given a shot to run back punts?

JohnnyMack
7/19/2007, 11:34 AM
I just knew that Ryan Leaf would be head and shoulders better than Peyton Manning.

That's cause you're a ****ing idiot.

JohnnyMack
7/19/2007, 11:39 AM
I thought Larry Birdine was going to evolve into an AA and first round draft pick.

I thought Chijioke was going to be the answer at CB. His physical stats and film of him from JC were gaudy.

1stTimeCaller
7/19/2007, 11:42 AM
That's cause you're a ****ing idiot.

It's not just a hat rack.:texan:

By the way, learn how to properly use the various forms of your and you're.

;)

MI Sooner
7/19/2007, 11:56 AM
Right (predicted NFL success):

Harris
Clayton
Brown
Trent Smith

Wrong:

Strait
Heupel and White (thought they'd make a roster for 3-4 years, then wash out)
Runnells (thought he'd be an all-pro FB)

I'll get back with you on AD in a few years. I made a bet with a buddy and took the under on the number of Pro Bowls he makes. I think we set it at 3.5. I hope I'm wrong, but I see him playing at the level of someone like Kevin Jones. Very good runner, but not a complete back and injury prone.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/19/2007, 11:57 AM
Right:

Chrissy Simms. If he'd go ahead and get that hysterectomy, he might be able to man up and stay healthy. But I doubt it.

J.D. Runnels. This one has yet to really pan out, so time will tell. But my fellow Titan is a William Henderson in the making. Consistent, powerful, and an absolute joy to watch. Bank it.

Wrong:

Donovan McNabb. I missed this one by a mile.

Warrick Dunn. No way I thought he'd even survive in the NFL, let alone be known as a durable back at his size.

Seamus
7/19/2007, 12:06 PM
I made a bet with a UGa alum at work that Josh Heupel would finish his NFL career with more yards than Quincy Carter.

Thank God it was only a 75 cent soda.

I also whiffed on Ron Dayne, Andre Woolfolk and Rocky Calmus. Katzenmoyer and Nathan Vasher, too, and Chris Zorich.

As for right, I "knew" Plexico Burress was going to be a stud. Tommie Harris was a lock, and even as an All-American, I thought Jammal Brown was underrated. That is one bad-arse OT.

My misses are far greater than my hits, it would seem.

ADs_Agent
7/19/2007, 12:10 PM
right on He Who Tackles Himself, knew from his first start he'd never be NFL material

stoopified
7/19/2007, 01:56 PM

Right:
Ya threw me for a minute with the LT from TCU reference and I was about to point out LT(LAWRENCE TAYLOR) played at UNC.Then I realized you were refering to Tomlinson.I will stick to predictions on OU frosh.

Having said that I must be honest and amit I thought AD was OVERRATED coming out of HS.After he signed with OU he shot his mouth off all the time about how great HE was.One statement I recall him making was that if he HAD gone to UT,he would start ahead of Cedric Benson.He further stated that if he went to USC he would beat out White and Bush.I started thinking we had a mouthy version of Dupree coming to OU with a ME-FIRST attitude.I have never been happier to be wrong in my life

. On the flipside I was right about Chris Brown being able to step up and play last year.

Wrong:

Im sure I could list forever, but these are the ones that came to mind right off the top of my headI hav eonly one NFL prediction and that is that VY is and always will be an NFL bust.

BillyBall
7/19/2007, 02:06 PM
Right- Cedric Benson- I figured he would disappoint whoever got him in the draft.

Its hard to get on the field with the 2 years that Thomas Jones had and Cedric has played well when given the opportunity. Calling him a "disappointment" at this point in his career isn't all that valid...

Then again, I'm a huge Bear fan.

JohnnyMack
7/19/2007, 02:36 PM
Its hard to get on the field with the 2 years that Thomas Jones had and Cedric has played well when given the opportunity. Calling him a "disappointment" at this point in his career isn't all that valid...

I think he runs like a *****.

Taxman71
7/19/2007, 02:39 PM
I thought Cedric Jones would be a stud in the NFL because of how well he performed at OU. Didn't happen.

Never thought Kelly Gregg would be as good as he is and still playing, much less dominating.

Collier11
7/19/2007, 02:57 PM

If you read what he wrote, I dont think he was calling him a dissapointment

Big Red Ron
7/19/2007, 05:40 PM
Benson was the most over rated tailback, not to win a heisman in 20 years.

He is teh suck. I'm glad I never liked the Bears. Oh well, at least they'll get to see AD once a year.

BHud
7/21/2007, 10:12 PM
I hav eonly one NFL prediction and that is that VY is and always will be an NFL bust.

How on Earth can you say "is" a bust?

Young holds the NFL record for rushing yards by a rookie quarterback with 552, breaking the old record of 408 yards set by Bobby Douglass in 1969. He won the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of The Year honors at the conclusion of the 2006 NFL campaign, becoming only the third quarterback to win the award, along with Dennis Shaw and Ben Roethlisberger.[32] On Saturday February 3, Vince Young was named to the 2007 Pro Bowl to replace Phillip Rivers whose foot injury kept him out of what would have been his first pro bowl appearance. Young would throw one interception in limited play time in the Pro Bowl.

Of the rookie QB class of 2006, Vince Young has the best record as a starter, surpassing the only other three starting rookie QB's: Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, and Bruce Gradkowski. During the 2006 season, Vince Young led the Tennessee Titans to eight wins including six straight wins where he posted an 8-5 record as a starter. Of the wins, four of them were fourth quarter comebacks, including three straight fourth quarter comebacks. His passer rating was 66.7.

-Wilkepedia

Rogue
7/21/2007, 10:45 PM

Yup, me too!

And VY will be a bust. I always thought a good rushing QB would make it in the NFL. He's like Mike Vick without the touch or the long ball.

I also thought Aubrey Beavers would be an NFL linebacker and the DeMond Parker would be a great back in the NFL too.

Major Applewhite - Despite overwhelming evidence year in and year out I kept thinking that Opie couldn't cut it. He proved me wrong several times and convinced me that he's just a gamer finally.

Actually, I'm just pretty bad at evaluating athletic talent.

opksooner
7/21/2007, 10:45 PM
Tommy McDonald:

His freshman year he was invited for dinner at my frat house. When I was introduced to him I thought to myself, "This kid is gonna get killed playing with the big boys!"

Wrong!

mdklatt
7/22/2007, 03:58 PM
Bomar. He seemed to be a punk right off the bat, and the way he got in trouble for MIP at the Hornets game had "dumbass" written all over it. I knew his OU career would not end well.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2007, 04:15 PM

Right:

Wrong:

Im sure I could list forever, but these are the ones that came to mind right off the top of my head

Not trying to bag on you, but what exactly prompted you to think that Antonio Gates, a guy who hadn't played a single down of organized football since high school, was going to tear the league up?

Big Red Ron
7/22/2007, 07:19 PM
How on Earth can you say "is" a bust?

Young holds the NFL record for rushing yards by a rookie quarterback with 552, breaking the old record of 408 yards set by Bobby Douglass in 1969. He won the Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of The Year honors at the conclusion of the 2006 NFL campaign, becoming only the third quarterback to win the award, along with Dennis Shaw and Ben Roethlisberger.[32] On Saturday February 3, Vince Young was named to the 2007 Pro Bowl to replace Phillip Rivers whose foot injury kept him out of what would have been his first pro bowl appearance. Young would throw one interception in limited play time in the Pro Bowl.

Of the rookie QB class of 2006, Vince Young has the best record as a starter, surpassing the only other three starting rookie QB's: Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, and Bruce Gradkowski. During the 2006 season, Vince Young led the Tennessee Titans to eight wins including six straight wins where he posted an 8-5 record as a starter. Of the wins, four of them were fourth quarter comebacks, including three straight fourth quarter comebacks. His passer rating was 66.7.

-WilkepediaSee winning teams in the NFL have these guy's that are smarter than most of the other players on the field, and can also manage to complete a forward pass when needed nearly every time, right?

The QB.

Show me where Vince fit's in there?

He might be decent, like Vick, but VY will never make us forget Steve Young.

OUstud
7/22/2007, 09:23 PM
I was right on Eli Manning being a crappy QB.

birddog
7/22/2007, 09:42 PM
I was right on Eli Manning being a crappy QB.

me too. never liked him for some reason.

Boarder
7/22/2007, 09:44 PM
I knew Quincy Carter would be a bust. I almost vomited when Dallas drafted him. Little did I know how horrible of a personal life wipeout he'd have. I'd never wish that upon anyone.

Harry Beanbag
7/22/2007, 10:00 PM
Not trying to bag on you, but what exactly prompted you to think that Antonio Gates, a guy who hadn't played a single down of organized football since high school, was going to tear the league up?

You're about 4 days too late dude. :texan:

Collier11
7/22/2007, 10:44 PM
You're about 4 days too late dude. :texan:

Its just a list to give us something to talk about, I dont have to validate my opinions to you or anyone else. If you dont believe me then so be it, doesnt really matter much!

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2007, 12:49 AM
Its just a list to give us something to talk about, I dont have to validate my opinions to you or anyone else. If you dont believe me then so be it, doesnt really matter much!

Well, then, I bow before your incredible football knowledge and ability to know that a guy who hasn't played since high school and was an UDFA was going to develop into the best tight end in the game.

Sorry, missed your back and forth with Harry on page one. I wasn't doubting you, I was just wondering if you knew the kid in high school or had some inside information or somethin.

limey_sooner
7/23/2007, 03:44 AM
Right: Tony Mandarich (my god how could you pay that for a lineman, a lineman).

Wrong: Roger Craig (that was more hoping he wouldn't do well cause he was a bugeater).

Collier11
7/23/2007, 10:24 AM
WI wasn't doubting you, I was just wondering if you knew the kid in high school or had some inside information or somethin.

All I said was that I thought he would be good, I had no idea he would be an all-pro! I saw him in the NCAA tournament that year and also as my normal protocol, watched and read alot about him based on the pre-draft stuff. I just liked his athleticism and thought he could make an impact

TexasLidig8r
7/23/2007, 11:15 AM
See winning teams in the NFL have these guy's that are smarter than most of the other players on the field, and can also manage to complete a forward pass when needed nearly every time, right?

The QB.

Show me where Vince fit's in there?

He might be decent, like Vick, but VY will never make us forget Steve Young.

More often than not.. quarterbacks wash out... Let's look at some of the QBs in the league right now... Grossman?... Kitna?... whoever has a pulse for the Vikings?.. Carr?... whoever has a pulse for the Atlanta Faldowns who is not currently indicted?... whoever has a pulse for the Browns?... Harrington?... the Bills QB, the former Tulane "great"?... Schaub?... Romo?.. Bah... all supposedly "NFL" quarterbacks and all will be quickly... forgotten.

Will Vince make us forget Steve Young? Young is in the Hall of Fame.. Young did something VERY few people can do.. replace a legend and still excel.

So, what does Vince do? He finds ways to win.. in high school.. at UT.. and in his rookie year.. surrounded by questionable talent, he led Tenn. to more wins than what was expected. So, he doesn't fit the "stereotype." :rolleyes:

But, if he can avoid the injury bug, like all NFL players must do, his history indicates he will be successful.

By the way Ron,.. it is perfectly understandable to start posts like yours with, "I cannot be objective about VY and allow myself to think outside the box.. so..." :D

Big Red Ron
7/23/2007, 11:28 AM
More often than not.. quarterbacks wash out... Let's look at some of the QBs in the league right now... Grossman?... Kitna?... whoever has a pulse for the Vikings?.. Carr?... whoever has a pulse for the Atlanta Faldowns who is not currently indicted?... whoever has a pulse for the Browns?... Harrington?... the Bills QB, the former Tulane "great"?... Schaub?... Romo?.. Bah... all supposedly "NFL" quarterbacks and all will be quickly... forgotten.

Will Vince make us forget Steve Young? Young is in the Hall of Fame.. Young did something VERY few people can do.. replace a legend and still excel.

So, what does Vince do? He finds ways to win.. in high school.. at UT.. and in his rookie year.. surrounded by questionable talent, he led Tenn. to more wins than what was expected. So, he doesn't fit the "stereotype." :rolleyes:

But, if he can avoid the injury bug, like all NFL players must do, his history indicates he will be successful.

By the way Ron,.. it is perfectly understandable to start posts like yours with, "I cannot be objective about VY and allow myself to think outside the box.. so..." :DVY had more talent on defense than any of the other Rookie QBs last year.

VY is simply too one dimensional. Last year he sort of caught some Ds off guard. Don't bet on that happening again.

Believe me, I am being "objective." I think his rookie season wasn't near as impressive as it appears. There were at least three Rookies that I think had a better season than VY.

Also, note, I said, "Winning teams."

Seamus
7/23/2007, 12:23 PM
How about, "I cannot be objective about :texan: posters and allow myself to read their posts without dishing up some http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif , so..." :D

stoopified
7/23/2007, 02:23 PM
While it IS true that VY had a better record as a starter than all other rookies,so what?Does that prove he has the tools to be a NFL qb? The Titans would have won a lot more games and IMHO been in the playoffs with McNair.The NFL is all about passing, good decision making ,and taking care of the ball.VY is sorely lacking at all three.VY is a great athlete but will never be more than a mediocre NFL qb.People seem to be thinking that the Titans won because of Vince when in reality they won IN SPITE OF HIM.This year should prove the issue ,one way or another.

TexasLidig8r
7/23/2007, 02:32 PM
VY had more talent on defense than any of the other Rookie QBs last year.

VY is simply too one dimensional. Last year he sort of caught some Ds off guard. Don't bet on that happening again.

Believe me, I am being "objective." I think his rookie season wasn't near as impressive as it appears. There were at least three Rookies that I think had a better season than VY.

Also, note, I said, "Winning teams."

You're off a bit there Ron. Tennessee's defense was the SUCC last year. They gave up 25 points a game, 400 points on the year which put them ranked 31 out of 32; In terms of passing, they gave up 225 yards passing per game, a total of 3,740 which put them at 26th in the league... In terms of rushing they gave up 144 yards rushing per game, which put them at 30th, and overall, passing yards allowed, rushing yards allowed, points allowed.. THEY WERE STATISCALLY THE WORST TEAM IN THE NFL.

As for being one dimensional, people, (usually the fans of opponents) have been saying he has been too one dimensional since high school... have said he can't pass.. all he can do is win. And, it appears since then, all he does is make crucial pass completions at crucial times to win ballgames.(see, Ohio State in 2005 and Kansas in 2004).

Now, you really don't think defensive coordinators had an adequate chance to "study" game films on VY? And, of the 3 teams they played twice last year, VY's stats improved substantially in the 2nd game of 2 of the 3 games, and in the 3rd game, Tenn. still won it. These teams had defensive coordinators who were, supposedly at the top of their game (including the Super Bowl champs, the Colts), and who had actual game film as well as game experience against VY and yet... he improved... hmmm...

Stats and the facts simply don't support your alleged.. "objectivity." As for the 3 rookies who you believe had better years... how many were quarterbacks with the limited supporting cast that VY had? In any event, arguing who is 'better" when they play different positions under completely different circumstances is nothing more than.. rendering an opinion.

Finally, I'm not saying VY will be a perennial all pro.. but... he has the potential to succeed much greater than most sooners will ever give him credit for.. and all because he went to Texas and for the most part... there will never be any objectivity about players who play at Texas.

TexasLidig8r
7/23/2007, 02:38 PM
While it IS true that VY had a better record as a starter than all other rookies,so what?Does that prove he has the tools to be a NFL qb? The Titans would have won a lot more games and IMHO been in the playoffs with McNair.The NFL is all about passing, good decision making ,and taking care of the ball.VY is sorely lacking at all three.VY is a great athlete but will never be more than a mediocre NFL qb.People seem to be thinking that the Titans won because of Vince when in reality they won IN SPITE OF HIM.This year should prove the issue ,one way or another.

Merrill Hoge.. I didn't know you posted on here. Everything you said is on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDahCWm0oVg

And no... this year will not prove the issue one way or another. A QB's career is gauged more over the course of time.

OSUAggie
7/23/2007, 02:44 PM
It amazes me that people still doubt Vince Young's ability to play quarterback.

Big Red Ron
7/23/2007, 02:54 PM
It amazes me that people still doubt Vince Young's ability to play quarterback.In the NFL? You must be crazy. He had ONE great season at UT. A .66 passer rating aint gonna get it done.

And Lid, I'd take Tenn. Defense over Denver's or Arizona's.

JohnnyMack
7/23/2007, 03:00 PM
I have a bet with a guy in my office that after 5 seasons in the NFL I say VY won't have a winning record as a starter.

Big Red Ron
7/23/2007, 03:01 PM
I have a bet with a guy in my office that after 5 seasons in the NFL I say VY won't have a winning record as a starter.Try after next year. Double or nothing. :D

Collier11
7/23/2007, 03:06 PM
Sometimes it isnt about stats(see dilfer, etc.) but more about field presence and that is one thing that VY has