PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons to get pumped for 2007!!!

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 08:52 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/goingoneight/DMu.jpg

Why do people say DM is 'small' and rip him for not 'big enough.' I'm looking at this pic, I'm seeing Allen Patrick, who stands up quite well to the media-proclaimed "monster of a back." I'm also seeing Chris Brown, another so-called "big gun" and I'm seeing DM stacking up quite nicely. And to all the DM doubters who keep saying he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart (talking out their :les:es), it has to be said that DM consistently out-performs two guys (AP and CB) vying for All-BIG 12 honors.

These three, Gresham and Malcom Kelly's crew make for some major star-power. :) I would still start AP, but no way do I let him carry it 30 or more times and let CB and DM mop up. That's too much talent to sit around and ponder transferring.

MHO, Q was 'small.' And dynamite comes in 'small' packages.

UTisLousy
7/17/2007, 09:25 PM
You're looking at our Three-Headed Monster right there! With Jermie Calhoun coming in next year (Texas' top player... He's a friggin beast) we will be insanely talented for sometime. I think goingoneight makes a great point that we need to play them all as much as possible. I don't want to lose great talent to transfers (Tommy Grady).

Offense:
I believe Demarco will light it up this year.
I hope Loadholdt is all he's talked up to be.
I really hope we throw to TE more this year. Think we will with a FR QB.
I can't wait to see some of the acrobatic catches MK will make this year.

Defense:
I think this is Darien Williams' year. He is sooo underrated. Quietly plays great.
I like RS moving back to corner. They should put the name Elmers on the back of his jersey
I think Ryan Reynolds will really play well this year. He seems to have the toughness and speed we need at LB.
I really like Mike Reed. I think this guy will be the star of our defense.
From what I saw of John Williams against TCU he looks like he could be a great player.
I think the keys to our defense will be the DT. If Gerald McCoy and Demarcus Granger live up to their potential this year it will be extremely tough for anyone to score against us. If we stop the run with these guys we have a good enough secondary to shut teams completely down.

SoonerLB
7/17/2007, 09:39 PM
That pic makes me dream of the ol' Wishbone days. Just sayin'.

soonerspudman
7/17/2007, 10:20 PM
That pic makes me dream of the ol' Wishbone days. Just sayin'.

Yep, except which of the three do you put at FB? Answer: it's Madu, then make Murray QB with Brown and Patrick as HB's. Switzer has a woody at the very thought of it...

SoonerBOI
7/17/2007, 10:30 PM
trifecta!

OSUAggie
7/17/2007, 10:31 PM
wow...

Chris Brown is vying for All-Big XII honors and all 180 pounds of Mossis Madu playing fullback arouses The King.

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 10:38 PM
It's not out of the question that both of these guys could contend for All-BIG 12 honors if used as primary backs. I'll take OUrs over yours if that's what you're smirking about.

KantoSooner
7/17/2007, 10:55 PM
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 11:08 PM
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!
:confused:

Sooner74
7/17/2007, 11:16 PM
Personally I think we will see a lot of traditional one back sets with Patrick getting the ball up the gut, but I also see some two back sets and spliting Murray out and opening the middle with him to throw to our stud TE's

StoopTroup
7/17/2007, 11:24 PM
I see a lot of TDs.

KantoSooner
7/17/2007, 11:59 PM
:confused:
sorry to confuse. my reaction when I saw those three was to laugh maniacally thinking about the season(s) to come.
Consider my laughter to ring out once more.

goingoneight
7/18/2007, 12:03 AM
It's all good, KS. I've been residing in Drunkytown since I've been off.

boomersooner28
7/18/2007, 12:56 AM
Uh DM looks like the freakin MAN!

47straight
7/18/2007, 02:35 AM
Are they doing "there's only 1"?

OSUAggie
7/18/2007, 08:48 AM
It's not out of the question that both of these guys could contend for All-BIG 12 honors if used as primary backs. I'll take OUrs over yours if that's what you're smirking about.

It's not out of the question that any tailback in the Big XII could contend for all-conference honors if they're used as a primary back.

Chris Brown might be in the top-20 for most likely.

The_Red_Patriot
7/18/2007, 08:53 AM
MOSIS MADU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

htownsooner7
7/18/2007, 08:54 AM
I don't really know what people you are talking about with the 'too small' stuff. If people say they that about DM, they are uneducated. Patrick is listed as 6'0 191 as is DM. Brown is listed as 5'10 190.

What I find interesting is that OU's size on these RBs appears accurate and fair. This fairness in reporting is much different than say, USC, who listed Reggie Bush as 6'1 220 his senior year and said he was the same size as Ladanian Tomlinson. Absolute bs, even the Saints concede that he is much closer to 200.

MojoRisen
7/18/2007, 09:30 AM
On the Spring interviews- Demarco said he was up to 205 pounds with 4.4 speed is plenty big. Even wilson and his opinions said he was impressed with how DM can take it up the gut or hit the edge.

joeTsooner
7/18/2007, 09:44 AM
How much playing time will Madu see this year?

MojoRisen
7/18/2007, 09:49 AM
I bet he get's in the slot a lot and some carries - maybe 3 touches a game. I understand he had a solid spring as well-

My take

MikeInNorman
7/18/2007, 10:38 AM
Gundy LOVES Madu. He is going to play, probably more than you think. Slot is a possibility.

TexanSooner420
7/18/2007, 12:48 PM
I played against John Williams in HS. One word: FREAK. If he is at all like he was in HS he will be great for us.

NormanPride
7/18/2007, 01:18 PM
John was one of the lone bright spots in the TCU debacle.

KYHonorarySooner
7/19/2007, 08:55 AM
Since I can't start new threads, here ya go.

From Rivals...

Top 50 Countdown No.9 Oklahoma

Breaking down the offense

Overview: Oklahoma must replace the production of All-American and first-round draft pick Adrian Peterson, but the bigger concern around Norman involves the quarterback situation. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops still hasn't decided whether to hand the job to junior Joey Halzle, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford or true freshman Keith Nichol. Oklahoma had an uncertain quarterback situation last year and still won the Big 12. Can the Sooners do it two consecutive years?

OKLAHOMA TOP 10
Malcolm Kelly will be dangerous if his quarterbacks can get him the ball.

1.WR Malcolm Kelly
2.DB Reggie Smith
3.TE Jermaine Gresham
4.RB Allen Patrick
5.DT Gerald McCoy
6.RB DeMarco Murray
7.OG George "Duke" Robinson
8.CB Marcus Walker
9.TE/FB Brody Eldridge
10.FS Darien Williams
Best player: WR Malcolm Kelly: Even while playing on a run-oriented team, Kelly has found a way to establish himself as one of the nation's top receivers. Kelly caught 10 of Oklahoma's 22 touchdown passes last year and finished the season with 62 receptions for 993 yards. Only a knee injury early in the Fiesta Bowl kept him from reaching the 1,000-yard mark. Kelly scored two touchdowns in the Big 12 championship victory over Nebraska and tied a school record with 11 receptions in a win over Texas Tech.
Most overrated: FB Matt Clapp: Rated as the No. 6 fullback in the 2005 recruiting class by Rivals.com, Clapp has struggled to earn playing time while battling injuries. The junior still has time to make an impression, but he needs to stay healthy for a full season.

Most underrated: OG George "Duke" Robinson: Well, he isn't underrated by us. Rivals.com listed Robinson as a third-team All-American last year. Now everyone else needs to take note of this exceptional blocker. Robinson wasn't a first-team or second-team All-Big 12 selection last year despite having an outstanding season with 108 knockdown blocks. If he keeps improving in his junior year, Robinson should get some overdue praise.

Must step up: WR Juaquin Iglesias: Oklahoma would love to have a second receiving threat to take some of the pressure off Kelly. Iglesias showed flashes of his potential last year by collecting six receptions for 120 yards in the Fiesta Bowl after Kelly got hurt, but he also had four games in which he caught only one pass. If Iglesias develops some consistency this fall, it could boost the Sooners' passing attack.

Shoes to fill: RB Allen Patrick, RB Chris Brown and RB DeMarco Murray: Patrick already proved he's capable of doing this job by rushing for 440 yards in the first three games after Adrian Peterson broke his collarbone. Now that Peterson is gone for good to the NFL's Minnesota Vikings, Patrick must prove he's ready to carry the load for a full season. He should get plenty of competition from Brown and Murray, who both played extremely well in spring practice.

Position battle: Quarterback: Former junior college player Joey Halzle is competing with redshirt freshman Sam Bradford and true freshman Keith Nichol for the right to replace Paul Thompson. Halzle and Bradford have a year of experience in the system, but Nichol is a former four-star prospect with the greatest upside of the trio.

Impact newcomer: RB DeMarco Murray: This redshirt freshman had the look of a future star in spring practice and rushed for 103 yards on only four carries in the Red & White Game. That type of performance should have Oklahoma coaches searching for different ways to get the ball in his hands.

New in 2007: The departure of Peterson could cause Oklahoma to rely more on multiple backs instead of having one guy carry the ball 25-30 times a game. The Sooners could use more two-back formations and also might have versatile backs such as Murray going in motion or lining up in the slot.

Grade the units:
QB: C. The lack of experience here is the main stumbling block in Oklahoma's national-title hopes.
RB: A-minus. Even without Peterson, the Sooners have a wealth of talented runners.
WR/TE: B-plus. Kelly is one of the nation's top wideouts, though the Sooners need more contributions from the rest of the receiving corps. Joe Jon Finley and Jermaine Gresham give Oklahoma a nice one-two punch at tight end.
OL: A. Oklahoma is counting on junior college transfer Phil Loadholt to step in for Chris Messner at left tackle, but the Sooners have plenty of experience and depth elsewhere on the line.

Breaking down the defense

Overview: CB Reggie Smith leads a talented secondary that will have to compensate for Oklahoma's inexperience elsewhere on defense. The Sooners must replace first-team All-Big 12 performers C.J. Ah You, Larry Birdine and Rufus Alexander from their front seven.

Best player: CB Reggie Smith: Smith's ability to fill multiple roles has helped him develop into one of Oklahoma's most valuable players. Smith started three games at cornerback last year and spent the rest of the season at strong safety. He collected three interceptions and returned one for a touchdown on his way to earning All-Big 12 honors. The Sooners are planning to capitalize on Smith's versatility by moving him back to cornerback this year. He also is the Sooners' main punt returner.

Oklahoma Schedule
Date Opponent
Sept. 1 North Texas
Sept. 8 Miami
Sept. 15 Utah State
Sept. 22 at Tulsa
Sept. 29 at Colorado
Oct. 6 vs. Texas
Oct. 13 Missouri
Oct. 20 at Iowa State
Nov. 3 Texas A&M
Nov. 10 Baylor
Nov. 17 at Texas Tech
Nov. 24 Oklahoma State
Most overrated: S Keenan Clayton: He opened the 2006 season as the Sooners' starting safety and lost his job before the third game of the season. This sophomore still has plenty of time to work his way back into a featured role, but he first must improve his tackling.
Most underrated: CB Marcus Walker: Smith justifiably garners the majority of the praise surrounding Oklahoma's secondary, but Walker quietly has also emerged as a solid performer. Even though he didn't move into the starting lineup until the fourth game of the season last year, Walker still picked off three passes and earned second-team All-Big 12 honors. The guy who almost ended up as the Fiesta Bowl hero (he returned a 33-yard interception for a go-ahead touchdown shortly before Boise State's stunning comeback) could emerge as a first-team all-conference player if he continues his rapid rate of improvement.

Must step up: SS D.J. Wolfe: This former running back now must make another position switch. After playing cornerback the last two years, Wolfe is shifting to strong safety. The Sooners need Wolfe to succeed at strong safety because it would allow Smith to play cornerback, his more natural position. Smith probably would move back to strong safety if the Wolfe experiment doesn't work.

Shoes to fill: LB Curtis Lofton: The Sooners are counting on this junior to provide some of the production that was lost when Alexander completed his senior year. Lofton's position this fall depends on the development of junior-college transfer Mike Reed. If Reed wins the starting job at middle linebacker, Lofton will replace Alexander at the weak-side spot. If Reed isn't ready to crack the starting lineup, Lofton will man the middle.

Impact newcomer: LB Mike Reed: Rated as No. 2 junior college prospect in the country by Rivals.com, the hard-hitting Reed could immediately take over as the Sooners' starting middle linebacker.

Position battle to watch: Defensive end: The Sooners must find someone to rush the passer now that Ah You and Birdine have departed. Senior Alonzo Dotson is the probable starter at one spot, but the other job remains unsettled. Senior John Williams is trying to hold off a challenge from sophomore Auston English.

New in 2007: The Sooners are trying to get more athleticism at strong-side linebacker so they can use that position more often in passing situations. The probable starter at that spot is senior Lewis Baker or sophomore Ryan Reynolds.

Grade the units:
DL: B. Oklahoma lost a pair of all-conference defensive ends, but the Sooners still have plenty of talent here. This may be the year former five-star prospects DeMarcus Granger and Gerald McCoy develop into standout tackles.
LB: B-minus. Oklahoma could miss Alexander and Zach Latimer quite a bit if Reed and other untested players don't step forward.
DB: A. Smith, Walker and Lendy Holmes could give the Sooners one of the nation's top cornerback trios.

Breaking down the special teams

Overview: Oklahoma welcomes back Rivals.com second-team All-America kicker Garrett Hartley as well as punters Michael Cohen and Mike Knall. Smith also returns as the Sooners' main punt returner.

Season outlook with bowl forecast
Oklahoma has so much talent on offense and in the secondary that the Sooners would rank among the favorites to win the national title if they had a standout quarterback. The uncertainty at the quarterback situation prevents us from being quite that optimistic about Oklahoma's chances. Oklahoma overcame instability at the quarterback position to win the Big 12 title last year, but we're forecasting a second-place finish in the Big 12 South this year. Even if they don't win the division, the Sooners have enough firepower to go 11-2 with a BCS at-large invitation or a spot in the Gator Bowl or Cotton Bowl.
Best player: K Garrett Hartley: Hartley was virtually automatic for the Sooners last season. The 2006 Lou Groza Award finalist went 19-for-20 on field-goal attempts. His only miss – a 44-yard attempt that would have won the Oregon game – was blocked.
Grade the units:
K: A. Hartley enters his final year as one of the favorites to win the Groza Award.
P: B-plus. Oklahoma used a two-punter system last year with Cohen handling the long punts and Knall taking care of the pooch attempts. Both players are back this year.
KR: B. Iglesias averaged 25.9 yards per attempt and scored on one return last year. Murray and Patrick also could return kicks this fall.
PR: B. Smith averaged 7.8 yards per return with one touchdown last year.

Breaking down the coaching
Overview: Even after the NCAA's decision that Oklahoma must vacate eight wins from its 2005 season, Bob Stoops still owns a 78-19 record during his eight-year tenure. His willingness to call any play at any time – along with his reputation for producing NFL talent – has helped make him one of the nation's most respected coaches.

Grade the coaches:
Head coach: A: Stoops may have done his best coaching job last year by winning a Big 12 title after losing quarterback Rhett Bomar in the offseason and Peterson for much of the regular season.
Offensive coaches: A-minus: Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson deserves plenty of credit for helping Oklahoma survive the uncertainty at quarterback last year. He faces a similar situation this year.
Defensive coaches: B: Oklahoma led the Big 12 in total defense last year, but the Sooners weren't quite as dominant as expected on this side of the ball. Defensive coordinator Brent Venables still was one of five finalists for the Broyles Award that goes to the nation's top assistant coach.
Special teams coaches: A: Co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin also coordinates the special teams and has built a unit that has excelled in kick coverage.