PDA

View Full Version : Ron Mexico... Indicted.

TexasLidig8r
7/17/2007, 04:56 PM
so.. will this be like... The Longest Yard, The Sequel?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/17/vick.indicted.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

NormanPride
7/17/2007, 04:57 PM
I'm glad the Texans got their backup QB before all this blew up and the Falcons realized they needed him. :D

fwsooner22
7/17/2007, 05:34 PM
so.. will this be like... The Longest Yard, The Sequel?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/17/vick.indicted.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Wow......Vick and Culpepper go down on the same day....

101sooner
7/17/2007, 06:22 PM
I'm no lawyer, but it looks to me like he's going to jail.

When you read that the FBI has been investigating and then statements like this:

"The four men were accused of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture" and conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture."

I'm sure that some of the dogs were transported across state lines which has got to be some sort of additional crime. Also, you'd think that the IRS would get involved somehow.

TexasLidig8r
7/17/2007, 06:38 PM
I'm no lawyer, but it looks to me like he's going to jail.

When you read that the FBI has been investigating and then statements like this:

"The four men were accused of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture" and conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture."

I'm sure that some of the dogs were transported across state lines which has got to be some sort of additional crime. Also, you'd think that the IRS would get involved somehow.

In federal court, there is mandatory sentencing guidelines. Monsieur Vick could be in severe peril.

htownsooner7
7/17/2007, 06:41 PM
Agreed, Lidig8r. Wonder why this is federal and not a state offense.

Seamus
7/17/2007, 07:07 PM
Here's a thought -- let's not feed his dogs for three days and then throw his sadistic arse into a pit with them.

I despise people who treat animals that way. Sick.

101sooner
7/17/2007, 07:07 PM
Agreed, Lidig8r. Wonder why this is federal and not a state offense.

" The Falcons quarterback was indicted for conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District in Richmond, Va. Three others -- Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor -- also were indicted by the grand jury on the same charges."

I think it's the traveling across state lines in the process of committing a felony thing that's going to really hurt him.

But again, Lid's a lawyer and I'm not.

TexasLidig8r
7/17/2007, 07:14 PM
" The Falcons quarterback was indicted for conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District in Richmond, Va. Three others -- Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor -- also were indicted by the grand jury on the same charges."

I think it's the traveling across state lines in the process of committing a felony thing that's going to really hurt him.

But again, Lid's a lawyer and I'm not.

I don't practice crim defense but I think you're spot on.

What Vick should really be concerned about.. feds are going to go to one of the other three conspirators and say.. "psst.. buddy... here's the dealio.. we drop all charges except the lesser one against you... you serve 3 months in a fed pen and then 2 years probation.. but.. you have to rat out Mike Vick."

AlbqSooner
7/17/2007, 07:23 PM

What Vick should really be concerned about.. feds are going to go to one of the other three conspirators and say.. "psst.. buddy... here's the dealio.. we drop all charges except the lesser one against you... you serve 3 months in a fed pen and then 2 years probation.. but.. you have to rat out Mike Vick."
And that, my friends, is how the Feds work prosecution. Name everyone they can, charge everything they can and play lets make a deal with the co-conspirator who seems to be the weakest or who has the most points on enchancement for sentencing purposes.

Vick has plenty of money and can afford the best criminal defense attorney. Question is, does he have sense enough to know an effective criminal defense attorney when he sees one. I suspect Michael will be convicted of at least one charge and will get to view the inside of a federal pen in other than a visitor status.

SoonerBOI
7/17/2007, 07:49 PM
Vick is finished...Hello DJ Shockley!

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 11:28 PM
Shame ENA isn't in Hotlanta.

SoonerBOI
7/17/2007, 11:35 PM
ENA would be great in Hotlanta.

Octavian
7/18/2007, 03:03 AM
...Vick and his co-defendants began a grisly dogfighting operation in early 2001 in which dogs fought to the death -- or close. Losing dogs were sometimes killed by electrocution, drowning, hanging or gunshots.

wow....that's pretty twisted.

william_brasky
7/18/2007, 03:44 AM
If anyone involved in these alleged incidents were electrocuting, drowning, hanging, or shooting dogs, they need to be put away for a very long time. In fact, that's too good for punks who do that sort of thing. They need to be put down themselves in a similar fashion.

Hearing this kind of thing makes me sick and ****es me off.

Seamus
7/18/2007, 03:52 AM
If anyone involved in these alleged incidents were electrocuting, drowning, hanging, or shooting dogs, they need to be put away for a very long time. In fact, that's too good for punks who do that sort of thing. They need to be put down themselves in a similar fashion.

Hearing this kind of thing makes me sick and ****es me off.

I'd gladly pull the plunger on these bastards. Why don't we stage a contest, and the winner gets to off Vick & Doggie Murder Inc. in a similar fashion.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2007, 08:34 AM
So how quickly will the NFL drop Ron and give him a life baneing???

I mean, cruelty to animals, that's worse than rape, drunk driving and discharge of a firearm in public all put together...

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2007, 08:35 AM
I'm glad the Texans got their backup QB before all this blew up and the Falcons realized they needed him. :D

No one ever accused the Smiths or whoever now owns the pidgeons of being smart.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2007, 08:37 AM

Bingo...Surprised there is no mention of RICO as this has to be a conspiracy and also an organized crime scenario.

Beef
7/18/2007, 08:38 AM
I saw somewhere that the Feds have around a 95% conviction rate if they indict someone. They don't indict unless they have a pretty damn strong case. The thing going for Vick is I assume most of the evidence is eyewitness, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be tough to knock the credibility of the people that attend dog fights.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/18/2007, 08:58 AM
I saw somewhere that the Feds have around a 95% conviction rate if they indict someone. They don't indict unless they have a pretty damn strong case. The thing going for Vick is I assume most of the evidence is eyewitness, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be tough to knock the credibility of the people that attend dog fights.

'cept if they have undercover agents...I bet they do, hard to impeach law enforcement agents.

MojoRisen
7/18/2007, 09:54 AM

That's also his strongest defense - there is definitely some of that going on "snitches" or he would have been charged a long time ago. He is a sick bbbbaastardddd if these allegations are true though. The indictment report was sickning...

colleyvillesooner
7/18/2007, 12:00 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2928795

The events Friday, in which it is believed that more dog carcasses were unearthed, neither merged nor eliminated any of those factions. Nor does the fact Vick will not be indicted, according to Chris Mortensen's sources, mean the Falcons' star is beyond suspicion. There are a lot of reasons that federal authorities boast a conviction rate of between 95-96 percent. The most significant one, though, is that the Feds rarely indict unless they know that there is sufficient evidence to convict.

BoomerJack
7/18/2007, 12:22 PM
In federal court, there is mandatory sentencing guidelines. Monsieur Vick could be in severe peril.

One would think so but after the commutation of the Scooter Libby prison stint, I wouldn't be so sure;)

fwsooner22
7/18/2007, 12:55 PM
One would think so but after the commutation of the Scooter Libby prison stint, I wouldn't be so sure;)

I wish you guys would keep it to football related topics.........That's a south oval comment (at least to me it is).....

Seamus
7/18/2007, 01:08 PM
I wish you guys would keep it to football related topics.........That's a south oval comment (at least to me it is).....

1. I agree.

2. But lighten up.

RedstickSooner
7/18/2007, 02:07 PM
I'm a grown-up. I realize it's a sick world we live in, and people do twisted, sadistic shi-ite all the time.

That being said, some of what has been described in conjunction with this case is stomach churning, even by modern standards. Wetting a dog to then electrocute it, as a means of putting it down? Throwing one against the ground to kill it?

Lock these *********s up. Vick should never play another down in the NFL.

Tear Down This Wall
7/18/2007, 02:38 PM
Two words for Michael Vick: You've got problems; and, not just legal ones.

colleyvillesooner
7/18/2007, 02:47 PM
I have two words for you. Basic Math. ;)

Seamus
7/18/2007, 05:11 PM
I have two words for you. Basic Math. ;)

LMFAO! :texan:

goingoneight
7/18/2007, 05:23 PM
Two words for Michael Vick: You've got problems; and, not just legal ones.

Obligatory Bama Math comment.

piusbovis
7/20/2007, 12:18 AM
I'm a grown-up. I realize it's a sick world we live in, and people do twisted, sadistic shi-ite all the time.

That being said, some of what has been described in conjunction with this case is stomach churning, even by modern standards. Wetting a dog to then electrocute it, as a means of putting it down? Throwing one against the ground to kill it?

Lock these *********s up. Vick should never play another down in the NFL.

To me that's the biggest thing. I'll admit when I was a little boy I might have tugged on my pet lab's tail now and again but for a grown man to body-slam a dog to end its life...that's just perturbed. Particularly when they had those other inhumane ways of dealing with it, i.e. shooting it, electrocution, etc. I'm not going to say anything about what should be done but there is something wrong with a grown man who wants to body-slam a dog to its death; if they had those other modes of putting it out of its misery that means he wanted to do that. Dude has some problems.

Okieflyer
7/20/2007, 07:03 AM
I wonder if Marcus is happy right now! :confused:

TexasLidig8r
7/20/2007, 08:34 AM
Apparently, Vick's troubles are just starting...

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/19/0720virginia.html

A possible state indictment as well.

Although the NFL is taking a wait and see posture, it makes you wonder if Atlanta is going to step to the plate and suspend him as being too much of a distraction until all this is over.

Either way.. the over or under on the number of wins Atlanta has this year.. what.. about 5 ?

Beef
7/20/2007, 09:03 AM
I think the NFL has to suspend him at least a couple of games. Using the best case scenario for Mike that he had no direct knowledge of it, he still financed it. He bought the property and I'm guessing financed the building of all the buildings on the property. I think part of what Goodell's doing is making players responsible for what those sponging off the athletes are doing. Might be wrong on this, though. Once again, if Mike's innocent (HA!), he's at minimum responsible for being a complete dumbass. I think the NFL can and should suspend a player for that.

Soonermagik
7/20/2007, 12:24 PM
If I were the one making the decision he would be gone from the NFL forever. He didn't just break some minute law, what he did was disgusting. The NFL is better than that and I would prove it by kicking his arse out of the league permanently.

soonerhubs
7/20/2007, 01:47 PM
nm

OKC-SLC
7/20/2007, 02:08 PM
Michael Vick is a disgusting waste of oxygen who should have to donate all of his wealth to PETA and spend the rest of his days working on a prison ranch shoveling sh**. Societal leeches like this are without conscience.
Word.

birddog
7/20/2007, 02:33 PM
If I were the one making the decision he would be gone from the NFL forever. He didn't just break some minute law, what he did was disgusting. The NFL is better than that and I would prove it by kicking his arse out of the league permanently.

that better happen if goodell wants everyone to think that his punishments fit the crimes.

and i'm tired of african-americans around the country thinking this is a racial issue. maybe this fits into the "hip hop culture of a.a.'s, but it is illegal and only people who are touched in the head would find any enjoyment out of something so repulsive.

btw, it would be a MUCH bigger story if manning or brady where involved instead. but they have some common sense and decency, something vick obvioulsy knows nothing about.

hookem31
7/20/2007, 02:40 PM
Goodell's lack of action here disappointed me. If he really wants to show everyone that he's cleaning house, Vick must go. Nike's stance was almost as bad.

However, ESPN is reporting that Vick might sit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2943276&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Looks like Joey may get some PT, after all.

snp
7/20/2007, 03:08 PM
To me that's the biggest thing. I'll admit when I was a little boy I might have tugged on my pet lab's tail now and again but for a grown man to body-slam a dog to end its life...that's just perturbed. Particularly when they had those other inhumane ways of dealing with it, i.e. shooting it, electrocution, etc.

You really think that in the backwoods of Virgina they have constructed a safe and humane doggy electric chair? Not likely.

Michael Vick is a disgusting waste of oxygen who should have to donate all of his wealth to PETA and spend the rest of his days working on a prison ranch shoveling sh**. Societal leeches like this are without conscience.

I'd rather Vick get off free than give 1 cent to that awful organization.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/20/2007, 03:09 PM
Either way.. the over or under on the number of wins Atlanta has this year.. what.. about 5 ?

Shoot, Lid... I'll take the under on that. 2 feels about right.

(Unless all this time he's been a locker room cancer and his teamates are actually happy he's done for. But I've never gotten the impression that his problems in the NFL were internal team-oriented. But rather he has a "bit" of trouble reading defenses...)

OKC-SLC
7/20/2007, 03:16 PM
...he has a "bit" of trouble reading English
I'd buy that.

TexasLidig8r
7/20/2007, 03:23 PM
I don't mean to get in the way of a good, ole fashioned, lynch mob.. but.. gentlemen.. three words to say....

Duke ... Lacrosse ... Team.

colleyvillesooner
7/20/2007, 03:39 PM
I don't mean to get in the way of a good, ole fashioned, lynch mob.. but.. gentlemen.. three words to say....

3 more words...

Federal...Conviction...Rate.

Beef
7/20/2007, 03:52 PM
He paid for the property where the cruelty to animals took place. Whether it was from fighting or from Ookie petting them with sandpaper gloves, there's no denying there was long term animal abuse going on at HIS property. I'm guessing if Ookie, Tookie and Pookie didn't have the $34,000 to buy the property, then they didn't have the money to build the buildings on the property and buy all of the dogs on the property. It's that simple. Vick funded this thing. Knowingly or unknowingly like he claims. That might not be guilty enough in a court of law, but that should be guilty enough to the NFL. He's responsible for what his direct posse does with the money that he earns from the league.

snp
7/20/2007, 04:48 PM

Federal indictment, dog corpses, fighting equipment, and witnesses all point Vick to be behind this.

2 hookers looking for a meal ticket were the only "evidence" in the Duke saga.

Not even close.

soonerhubs
7/20/2007, 07:22 PM
I'd rather Vick get off free than give 1 cent to that awful organization.
Fair enough. Give me the money. Or Caeser Milan (The Dog Whisperer)

I'll set up pet foster homes and rescue ranches all over the country with his salary.

Restitution charges would be nice. Make Vick pay for my dogs Air Conditioner. :cool:

SanDiegoSoonerGal
7/20/2007, 08:14 PM
Okay. It's been an exhausting two weeks. And I'm on the bullet train to Drunkytown. But is this a funny headline or what?

Link (www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/07/20/0721future.html)

A determined quicky on the field...:D...for Ron Mexico...:D

Dio
7/21/2007, 09:07 AM
The "determined quicky" is the best kind.

TexasLidig8r
7/30/2007, 12:20 PM

And thus .. it begins.

One of his co-defendants just plead guilty... sentencing is Dec. 14.. when questioned whether he received a promise of a reducted sentence in exchange for the plea he testified.. "No." When asked if he agreed to fully cooperate with the feds he said.. "Yes."

The noose just got a little more tight.

Now granted at this point we have not seen any evidence yet that Vick "touched' a dog or lived on the property where the dog fighting took place..

However... Vick.. do not ask for whom the bell tolls....

JohnnyMack
8/14/2007, 12:53 PM
Looks like Ron Mexico is working on a plea deal. Link to follow.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/14/vick_0815.html

I've heard he could be doing more than one year in prison for this.

colleyvillesooner
8/14/2007, 01:12 PM
Hopefully, federal pound me in the *** prison

Seamus
8/14/2007, 01:19 PM
Gotta love the wording in the poll question:

Are you surprised Vick is negotiating a plea deal?

Yes. I actually believed him when he stated his innocence.

No. When all three co-defendants flipped, that sealed it.

Seamus
8/14/2007, 01:25 PM
This week, Vick learned that in the criminal justice system, friendship only goes so far.

On Monday, guilty plea hearings were scheduled for two of his co-defendants and long-time associates.

"There's no telling until the actual pleas, but this doesn't sound like good news for Michael Vick," said Kent Alexander, once the U.S. attorney in Atlanta and now Emory University's general counsel. "Usually, if people plead guilty early in a case they may be cooperating with the government. That's what it sounds like here."

Heh. PWN3D.

Beef
8/14/2007, 01:27 PM
Hopefully, federal pound me in the *** prison
I'm guessing that would be an impressive "skin on the wall" for an inmate. Something to tell the grandkids about.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2007, 01:29 PM
I'm guessing that would be an impressive "skin on the wall" for an inmate. Something to tell the grandkids about.

Grandpa! Tell us about the time you took the bananas and cream up the ol' dirt road on Ron Mexico! Please!?!?!?

Beef
8/14/2007, 01:35 PM
Grandpa! Tell us about the time you took the bananas and cream up the ol' dirt road on Ron Mexico! Please!?!?!?
I wouldn't tell them until they were old enough to use the proper language.

JohnnyMack
8/14/2007, 03:30 PM
If Vick doesn't plead and fast I bet they drop the RICO/CCE hammer on him in a hurry.

Any of you lawyer types think they'll pursue the RICO/CCE side of it if he pleas out the first part of this?

AlbqSooner
8/14/2007, 08:02 PM
This morning Vick was told by the U.S. Attorney's office that he has until Friday to agree to a plea or there will be no further negotiations and a superseding indictment will be forthcoming. At that time his Attorney said they were not looking at any plea deals and were preparing for trial.

My guess is the U.S. Attorney advised Vick's Attorneys about some of the allegations in the superseding indictment. I am guessing that included RICO with its attendant forfeiture provisions.

Look for a plea agreement before Friday at the close of business on the East Coast.

colleyvillesooner
8/14/2007, 10:37 PM
ESPN had a blurb about Vick's lawyers trying to get him under a year in prison.

Seamus
8/15/2007, 04:18 AM
He'll be hooking up with Paul Crewe.

hookem31
8/15/2007, 04:28 AM
And it only gets funnier....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293268,00.html

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2007, 08:47 AM
ahem...who mentioned RICO first.

I hope the NFL if they know what is good allows Vick to play in the CFL the rest of his life...

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 09:09 AM
And it only gets funnier....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293268,00.html

I was cracking up at that this morning.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 09:10 AM
ahem...who mentioned RICO first.

I hope the NFL if they know what is good allows Vick to play in the CFL the rest of his life...

I checked for you. It was someone called TheHumanAlphabet.

hookem31
8/15/2007, 12:44 PM
I was cracking up at that this morning.

Not me. This just exposes our administration's screw ups, regarding the war on terror. We have poured money and troops into Iraq, when it's obvious the problem is here. And he's an NFL quarterback. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/15/2007, 06:47 PM
I checked for you. It was someone called TheHumanAlphabet.

Thanks...also, should've added the winky...;)

Jet lag and all you...Greetings from Bangkok!

KantoSooner
8/15/2007, 06:52 PM
So, which is first? International Entertainment Center? Soi Cowboy?

TexasLidig8r
8/17/2007, 01:43 PM
And.. the noose tightens even that much more...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vickco-defendants&prov=ap&type=lgns

Now.. there's testimony that he was present and participated in the dog hangings and drownings.

For Vick...

http://www.zenwaiter.com/photos/indexnew/fat%20lady%20sings.jpg

JohnnyMack
8/17/2007, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the CFL.

Beef
8/17/2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the CFL.
Assuming they would let a felon get a work visa.

JohnnyMack
8/17/2007, 02:27 PM
Assuming they would let a felon get a work visa.

Oops. Good call.

I hear the Arizona Rattlers could use some help.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2007, 10:21 PM
So, which is first? International Entertainment Center? Soi Cowboy?

Spek!!! If I hadn't been reading the tour guide, I wouldn't have had a clue what you speaking of...

I have been run ragged at work this week. Got a tour to the temples booked for Sunday.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/17/2007, 10:22 PM
Oops. Good call.

I hear the Arizona Rattlers could use some help.

If you promise to hire so many canadians and bring in so much money, they let anyone in...;)

junkyarddawg
8/17/2007, 10:28 PM
nm

TheHumanAlphabet
8/18/2007, 12:08 PM
Blank didn't have much to say good about him today. Said he would be in a plea agreement by 5 pm today (if I read the story right and have my times zones in line). I think we may have seen the last of Vick in an NFL uni. Not that I care much anyway, have always hated my home team Pidgeons.

JohnnyMack
8/20/2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20350573/

Plea deal is imminent.

Going to the hole for at least a year.

colleyvillesooner
8/20/2007, 01:55 PM
I was hoping he wouldn't so they'd lay the Racketeering charges on him.

soonerinabilene
8/20/2007, 02:02 PM
At least he is finally stepping up and taking responsibility. (although i am sure if his three partners hadnt turned he wouldnt be doing this). I bet goodell comes down harder on him than the judge does, considering when goodell asked vick about this when the story broke, Vick told him he wasnt involved.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/20/2007, 06:58 PM
In a telephone interview with the AP, Martin said Vick is paying a high price for allowing old friends to influence his behavior, but he emphasized that his client takes full responsibility.

So just how long has he known the Bad Newz Boyz? CNN just said a lifetime ban is possible. I don't know, perhaps even the CFL will bane him, maybe the Northern Mexico League will let him play, ole ROn should fit right in.

So, I wonder if the genius in the Pidgeons front office will still have a job after allowing the Matt Schaub trade to Houston.

SoonerBOI
8/20/2007, 09:13 PM
classic rise and fall from grace. sad because he had everything and now seems to lose it all.

FaninAma
8/20/2007, 10:44 PM
I'd gladly pull the plunger on these bastards. Why don't we stage a contest, and the winner gets to off Vick & Doggie Murder Inc. in a similar fashion.

Calm down, Killer! Yeah, what Vick did is bad and he deserves to pay for it but every week I see stray dogs and cats dropped off in the country side where I live to starve, get ran over, or if they're lucky, shot by a humane rancher. There is very little, if any, effort by local law enforcement to stop this behavior. And I'm sure the same thing happens all across the country.

Yet there are no cries of outrage for these animals or demands the bastards who dump these animals to suffer a cruel fate be brought to justice.

The lack of motivation by most people to demand action from state and federal representatives to pass stronger laws to stop all irresponsible mistreatment of animals makes all of the outrage over the Vick saga ring hollow. Of course most of the animals that suffer horrible deaths in this country are due to human stupidity and it is hard to outlaw stupidity.