PDA

View Full Version : Trains vs Cars

OUinFLA
7/17/2007, 12:26 PM
The car usually doesn't win.

In our city, there is a lot of train traffic. With the phsophate mines to the south of town, and the E-W leg of Amtrack crossing Lakeland, there are just a lot of trains moving through town

The phosphate trains are tiresome. Usually they are in excess of 100 cars and don't go too fast through town as the switching yard is located in the SW corner of the city and they don't have much room to get up to speed.

Amtrack is a different horse. They come in from Tampa hitting the 78mph mark and don't slow down until they get into the city limits.

In the last month, we have had two sad wrecks around the city.

A month ago a young lady was in such a hurry to go pick up her boyfriend from work that she approached a crossing that had the gates down and by-passed 4 cars waiting at the crossing to try to beat the train. Saddly, it was the 78mph Amtrack and she didnt make it over the tracks in time. Dead at the scene.

Yesterday almost the same thing about a mile closer to town. Only this time it involved a small car with 4 young people in it. Again, the gates were down, the signals were blinking and the bell was clanging. Again, someone thought they could beat the train through the crossing. When the78mph Amtrack hit this car, it blew pieces of it 200 yards up the track. What remained of the car looked like it had been inserted into a wrecking yard compactor. All 4 dead at the scene. A warehouse security camera which was aimed at their parking lot, captured the entire event on tape. They haven't released the tape yet, but it was reported that apparently all safety signals were working properly.

Now, I know everyone is always late for where ever they are going , and I know that it is frustrating to wait for the slow 100 car phosphate trains that criss-cross Lakeland daily, but, 4 times a day, Amtrack is going to go screaming through town, and at 78 mph, that million ton mass of metal interia is going to make little pieces out of any car that tries to challenge it.

Im sorry for the families/friends involved, but somewhere there is something seriously wrong if people are going to try to circumvent the safety barriiers that are in place to tell us that danger is approaching. Sometimes at a high rate of speed.

crawfish
7/17/2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks, dad. ;)

OUinFLA
7/17/2007, 06:07 PM
Well, crap, this is unbelievable.
It happened again today about 10 miles to the west.
A truck tried to beat the same train, and the truck lost.
This time it derailed the train.

StoopTroup
7/17/2007, 06:14 PM
Those darn Duke Boys are at it again...

olevetonahill
7/17/2007, 08:52 PM
Its just Darwin thining the herd

sooneron
7/17/2007, 09:14 PM
There are usually at least a couple of fatalities a year up here with the commuter trains. A conductor told me about a time when a woman was with her three kids and they tried to beat the train....

on foot! The conductor managed to stop and laid into her something fierce. He should have pulled a gun out and put that woman out of her and her kid's misery right there.

Sooner in Tampa
7/18/2007, 05:31 AM
They were talking about this on the radio this morning. I don't mind older people being so stupid, but I hate to hear the young uns getting killed like that.

olevetonahill
7/18/2007, 06:29 AM
They were talking about this on the radio this morning. I don't mind older people being so stupid, but I hate to hear the young uns getting killed like that.
Ya might wanta Rethink what you just said .
Ive said some dumb things and then retracted . just sayin

Sooner in Tampa
7/18/2007, 06:44 AM
Ya might wanta Rethink what you just said .
Ive said some dumb things and then retracted . just sayinI think what I was trying to say is that it always bothers me more when young people get killed...you know, the whole "They had their whole life in front of them" dealio.

Hell, I am not so young and I have said and done way more stupid things than most people :O

olevetonahill
7/18/2007, 06:47 AM
I think what I was trying to say is that it always bothers me more when young people get killed...you know, the whole "They had their whole life in front of them" dealio.

Hell, I am not so young and I have said and done way more stupid things than most people :O
:cool:
I see what ya mean , But hell Im old so Im a lil testy :D

OUHOMER
7/18/2007, 07:08 AM
My mom got hit by a train once. less than a 1/4 mile from her house. Tracks were in the country. The approach to the tracks was in a valley so she was below the train . She never heard the train and there were no lights or signals.
She made it about 3/4 across before she got hit. it tore the hell out of her car and she was sore as hell for a while. Funny thing was the train representatives and lawyers were at the scene almost as fast as the police and ambulance.

She had crossed that blind track a million times. Which may have lead to a lackadaisical approach. Now where she really screwed was she told the railway company she was fine and signed a wavier never got a dime for her car or anything.

now several years later she has major back problems( just had surgery) and needs surgery on her neck.

But yea cars never win.

olevetonahill
7/18/2007, 07:12 AM
This makes me think of the Ole gal I hauled off in the Back of My truck .
She got runned over by a dammed Ole train :eek:

OUinFLA
7/18/2007, 07:20 AM
I don't mind older people being so stupid,

Then you're gonna really like me when we meet.

btw clean out your PM box !

OUHOMER
7/18/2007, 07:22 AM
That is a great song. Mommy, trains and prison

Sooner in Tampa
7/18/2007, 08:15 AM

Then you're gonna really like me when we meet.

HEH...dinner tonight could be way more fun than I was anticipating :P

Sooner in Tampa
7/18/2007, 08:17 AM
That is a great song. Mommy, trains and prison
:texan: I was drunk the day my mom got outta prison, and I went to pick her up in the rain...:texan:

TexasLidig8r
7/18/2007, 08:21 AM
but before.. Ahhhhh... could get to the station in mah PICK UP.. truck...

olevetonahill
7/18/2007, 08:27 AM
Yall need to do a search . :eek:
I did Haul one off she Did get Runned over !:D

Sooner in Tampa
7/18/2007, 08:28 AM
...she got runned over by a train