PDA

View Full Version : If you get to change 3 things about CFB...

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 02:40 AM
... what would they be? If Lord Bear Bryant ;) came to you and said change three things to make it right... what's your fantasy?

For me...

1. NCAA states laws clearly and enforces (fairly and evenly) their penalties ASAP according ot preset guidelines. You don't ever see a game go into the final miute and a referee runs in and says "wait a minute... the home team false started earlier in the game, we'll now penalize them on 4th and 1" with 30 seconds to go, need a 1st and 10, need a TD... it just doesn't work that way. You set the rules, clearly state the punishment for offenses, repeat offenses, etc... and you enforce them without dragging your feet in a manner that it screws up something like where a young man decides to get his education or whether or not a coach wants to retire, blah-blah-blah.

2. BCS turns into a playoff system where a league of conference champions battle to find out who is the National Champion. This decides who is the National Champion, and whose conference is truly the baddest of 'em all. Does it not? Or do we want to continue to kiss up to Michigan, Notre Dame, USC... or even ourselves just because of who they are, and not what they're doing on the field by voting.

3. National Awards are given out after the season is totally over, championship and all. How many Heismans and All-Americans would have changed throughout history if they were governed by the final showdowns? You could say that we'd have sacrificed JW's, but Billy could have won 2 in a row, and Heupel could have stolen it from Weinke. Although Texass sickens me, VY would have totally owned the Heisman after the Rose Bowl. It's my opinion that it would change the way a player actually plays his final game, too. Anyone else think Troy Smith would have completed more than 4 passes had he not already been crowned the 'king' of CFB players? He's not the only one, either. I could only imagine how AD would have played in the Fiesta if he knew that missing a few games injured didn't mean anything and that a solid performance could still get him nods for the trip to NY.

KantoSooner
7/17/2007, 09:23 AM
Why don't we just ask Barry to set things up? I'd ride with whaddever he says.

Soonermagik
7/17/2007, 09:30 AM
1) A playoff system

2) Give the players enough money to live on

3) I know this is going to be a weird one, but have a 3 game championship. i.e. the National Championship game will be played out in 3 games, one each week for 3 weeks. This way we know that truly the best team won. No BS ref calls, trick plays etc. When you think about it Baseball, Basketball, Hockey all do this.

usmc-sooner
7/17/2007, 10:14 AM
IMO
CFB has the best way of teams to play for a NC. I think they take the 2 best teams all year instead of the 2 hottest teams at the end of the year.

OSUAggie
7/17/2007, 10:27 AM
1. Everybody in the world would realize the BCS is the best system in sports and would never utter the word playoff.

2. Everybody in the world understands that student-athletes on a football scholarship receive a free education, free meals and free lodging, plus they have the ability to apply for grants and loans like any other poor college student and they can live off of that money quite easily. Sorry they can't feed their baby's mommas on it.

3. OSU isn't a historical doormat.

Landthief 1972
7/17/2007, 11:14 AM
1. Everybody in the world would realize the BCS is the best system in sports and would never utter the word playoff.

2. Everybody in the world understands that student-athletes on a football scholarship receive a free education, free meals and free lodging, plus they have the ability to apply for grants and loans like any other poor college student and they can live off of that money quite easily. Sorry they can't feed their baby's mommas on it.

3. OSU isn't a historical doormat.

None of those three are realistic changes (especially #3). :stunned:

JohnnyMack
7/17/2007, 11:23 AM
1. The +1 system would be as close as we ever got to playoff

2. The NCAA would banish Aggie and Aggie Lite to an alternate dimension in which time, space and suckitude were in an infinite loop, dooming them to dwell in their own **** for eternity.

3. Naked cheerleaders.

Octavian
7/17/2007, 11:23 AM
1. All major conference leaders, university presidents, and international bankers sign a pact in blood that no attempt shall be made to ruin the game by instituting a "playoff."

2. The Big XII sends a nice thank you letter to the good folks at the Fiesta Bowl and we regain our rightful automatic bid to the Orange Bowl.

3. A college football channel all day every day. Nothing but college football. In-season analysis and reports from across the country. Replaying Saturday games all week long so fans and voters have more chances to see all teams across the country and base their opinions AND votes on more than SportsCenter highlights. The offseason possibilities for shows, classic games, documentaries, practice reports, etc. are endless.

edit: I second JM's #3.

Frozen Sooner
7/17/2007, 11:27 AM
1. The NCAA begins recognizing ONE national champion per year by officially endorsing either the AP or Coaches' poll.

2. Football is recognized as a unisex sport and thereby exempted from Title IX.

3. Division I-Bowl division is trimmed to 80 or so teams.

SteelClip49
7/17/2007, 11:30 AM
Magik, are you serious??? They can make money by working for it. They have the free education, free Nike apparel meaning they have enough clothes, the athletic cafeteria and dorms (which I lived in for 2 years and at at and is quite a luxury), unlimited tutoring access around the clock; nice little setup to the north of the stadium. College football players are treated like royalty. They do not need to be paid other than what their families provide then and/or what they earn whereever they work.

As far as the 3 changes:

1. Obviously a playoff format
2. 24 Bowls instead of 32 if no playoff is created
3. Overtime possession starts from the 50 yard line

Collier11
7/17/2007, 11:34 AM
No team is allowed to go to a bowl game with a 7-6, 6-5, or 6-6 record. You must be atleast 2 games over 500. for heavens sake

Landthief 1972
7/17/2007, 01:12 PM
No team is allowed to go to a bowl game with a 7-6, 6-5, or 6-6 record. You must be atleast 2 games over 500. for heavens sake

Now this is one idea I could get behind. Well, that and the naked cheerleaders. :D

Edmond Sooner
7/17/2007, 01:28 PM
1. The +1 system would be as close as we ever got to playoff

2. The NCAA would banish Aggie and Aggie Lite to an alternate dimension in which time, space and suckitude were in an infinite loop, dooming them to dwell in their own **** for eternity.

3. Naked cheerleaders.

What you said. Especially #3.

OSUAggie
7/17/2007, 01:30 PM

You say that as if it's not reality.

royalfan5
7/17/2007, 02:12 PM
1)Bring back ties
2)Relagation System like the English Premier League
3)Complete abolition of current restrictions on recruiting and scholarship limits.

Collier11
7/17/2007, 02:52 PM
1)Bring back ties
2)Relagation System like the English Premier League
3)Complete abolition of current restrictions on recruiting and scholarship limits.

You should receive a BAN just for bringing up fake football on a real football board!!!

;)

royalfan5
7/17/2007, 03:00 PM
You should receive a BAN just for bringing up fake football on a real football board!!!

;)
If we had a relagation system, Baylor would be in the NAIA where they belong, and OSU would be DIII. I fail to see the drawback of that.

Collier11
7/17/2007, 03:10 PM
No drawback of the actual plan, just a draw back for you bringing up soccer right before football season!

NormanPride
7/17/2007, 03:13 PM
If we had a relagation system, Baylor would be in the NAIA where they belong, and OSU would be DIII. I fail to see the drawback of that.

I haven't heard of this system... care to explain?

I think I'd go with Mike Rich's on all points. Except I think D-1 should be 60-70 teams, based on strength and attendance.

Collier11
7/17/2007, 03:15 PM
In some soccer leagues, the bottom two teams get relegated and the top two from the lower league get moved up. It may be more intricate than that, but that is the basic premise!

royalfan5
7/17/2007, 03:15 PM
I haven't heard of this system... care to explain?

I think I'd go with Mike Rich's on all points. Except I think D-1 should be 60-70 teams, based on strength and attendance.
The English Football (Soccer) Leagues are organized on a hierarchical basis. The bottom teams in a level get demoted, and the top teams of the level below get to move up.

stoopified
7/17/2007, 05:11 PM
1 Conference title games for everone or no one.

2. ALL teams have to be in a conference to be playoff eligible.(ND can kiss my a$$ after the NCAA is done )

3. Eight team playoff

PDTsooner
7/17/2007, 05:44 PM
1. Lower the cost for season tickets/End the extortion for season tickets.

2. I would like to see players stay all 4 years

3. Would like to see more players with respeect for the coaches/game and less attitude. Level headed on the side line and a bad *** on the field. (no more Bomars)

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 07:29 PM
The thing that will always get argued is the playoff idea. To each their own, I guess. When 2010 rolls around and there's 2 or three more "deserving teams" blown out in the title game, I guess we'll still believe that.

A 64 team playoff like the B-Ball one is retardo, IMHO. But letting a hall of conference champions play it out makes a helluva lot more sense than voting based on statistics. Are people afraid the playoff would create a predominate contender like the Yankees year in and out that is not their own team or something? Playing off the conference champs is gathering the best of the best, to play for the best of the best of the best (MNC) award. Simply a matter of opinion, I guess.

But I'd settle for my 1 and 3 ages before I'd worry about a playoff. The NCAA and the premature National Awards ceremonies should be changed and I think most everyone would agree on that.

Soonerfan88
7/17/2007, 09:26 PM
1. All major conference leaders, university presidents, and international bankers sign a pact in blood that no attempt shall be made to ruin the game by instituting a "playoff."

2. The Big XII sends a nice thank you letter to the good folks at the Fiesta Bowl and we regain our rightful automatic bid to the Orange Bowl.

3. A college football channel all day every day. Nothing but college football. In-season analysis and reports from across the country. Replaying Saturday games all week long so fans and voters have more chances to see all teams across the country and base their opinions AND votes on more than SportsCenter highlights. The offseason possibilities for shows, classic games, documentaries, practice reports, etc. are endless.

I was actually agreeing with Aggie until #3. But Octavian nailed it with these.

SoonerStormchaser
7/17/2007, 09:31 PM
1. Rhett Bomar grows a ****ing brain!
2. AD gets a stronger collarbone.
3. Gordon Riese gets LASIK!

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 10:29 PM
1. Rhett Bomar grows a ****ing brain!
2. AD gets a stronger collarbone.
3. Gordon Riese gets LASIK!

heh... 2006 called.

Straz1999
7/18/2007, 06:26 AM
Three major things I would change are pretty easy.

1. The obvious. An 8 team playoff that includes automatic bids from 6 major conferences champions (ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10) with two wildcards to include either an independent or conference champions from conferences like the MAC, WAC, Mountain West or Conf USA. Whichever of those two teams has the highest BCS rankings get into the playoff format, with the BCS standings determining the seeding.

2. Coaches cannot be hired from staffs that are currently in the middle of their season. I know there is dead time in December but you should have to finish the job you started before aquiring another one.

3. Early signing period for recruits coming in just like there is in basketball. This can really take some pressure off of recruits during the season and help them keep focused during their season if they choose, and can really help the college coaching staffs as well.

OSUAggie
7/18/2007, 08:46 AM
Three major things I would change are pretty easy.

1. The obvious. An 8 team playoff that includes automatic bids from 6 major conferences champions (ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10) with two wildcards to include either an independent or conference champions from conferences like the MAC, WAC, Mountain West or Conf USA. Whichever of those two teams has the highest BCS rankings get into the playoff format, with the BCS standings determining the seeding.

So in your little system a team like 2006 Michigan isn't qualified since they weren't conference champs but perhaps an 11-1 Tulsa squad qualifies because they swept through Conference USA.

Collier11
7/18/2007, 10:08 AM
So in your little system a team like 2006 Michigan isn't qualified since they weren't conference champs but perhaps an 11-1 Tulsa squad qualifies because they swept through Conference USA.

Not that this is a playoff thread necessarily but if they did have one, I like having all conf champs and then the next 5 highest rated teams in the bcs for 16 teams. I just dont think it is fair now or if we had a playoff that over half the teams in D1 will never even have a shot at the title regardless of their chances.

Straz1999
7/18/2007, 04:00 PM

How about reading the post. A wildcard with the best BCS standing. So "in my little system" Boise State would have been the other wildcard along with Notre Dame. Doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

goingoneight
7/18/2007, 04:56 PM
Methinks aggy doesn't want their chances ruined by an undefeated mid-major for the tournament idea.

John Kochtoston
7/18/2007, 06:06 PM
1. A plus-1 post-season championship format. The two teams are determined post-BCS bowls by the BCS system. There are no "play-in" games for the sports in the NCG.
2. The BCS re-emphasizes SOS. I know it is part of most computer rankings, but it should, once again, be its own, separate component. Teams should not be rewarded for K-State-like scheduling.
3. Notre Dame must be ranked in the BCS Top 12 or ahead of an automatic qualifier to play in the BCS, just like mid-major champs. Yes, I know they are only an automatic pick if they finish in the top 8, but, if they post nine wins, they are an unofficial automatic pick, as no BCS bowl will pass on ND if it can take them.

Scott D
7/18/2007, 06:36 PM
In some soccer leagues, the bottom two teams get relegated and the top two from the lower league get moved up. It may be more intricate than that, but that is the basic premise!

psst..3 not 2. :)

WestAustinSooner
7/18/2007, 08:21 PM
1. We beat USC in 2004.
2. We beat LSU in 2003.
3. We beat Arkansas in 1977.

If I had one more, I'd go with we beat ND to win 48 straight.

That's what I'd really want to change the most. to heck with all the other noise!!!!

OSUAggie
7/18/2007, 09:10 PM
How about reading the post. A wildcard with the best BCS standing. So "in my little system" Boise State would have been the other wildcard along with Notre Dame. Doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

How about understanding what the **** you typed. And you're still leaving off Michigan, who was much more deserving than Notre Dame last year.

1. The obvious. An 8 team playoff that includes automatic bids from 6 major conferences champions (ACC, Big East, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 10)

K, there are 3/4 of the 8 bids, all coming from BCS conference champions.... So we have two left...

.... with two wildcards to include either an independent or conference champions from conferences like the MAC, WAC, Mountain West or Conf USA

And the other 2 spots have to be selected from a choice of either an independent (Notre Dame, Temple, Army or Navy) or a conference champion from one of the non-BCS conferences... (MAC, WAC, MTN West, Sun Belt or C-USA).

Whichever of those two teams has the highest BCS rankings get into the playoff format, with the BCS standings determining the seeding.

hmm... I guess I'm missing the part where those two spots can be filled by teams in BCS conferences that did not win their conference crown, much like my example of 2006 Michigan.

goingoneight
7/18/2007, 10:41 PM
Why the HELL do we even care who conference champions are if we're going to use the lame, current BCS format? The best way, the only way is to cut the crap. If you aren't the bst in your conference, why do you belong anywhere but maybe a prestigious bowl?

tulsaoilerfan
7/18/2007, 10:45 PM
1. A true playoff system with at least 8 teams.
2. Do away with the OT's starting at the 25; hell sudden death would be preferable to this stupid way of deciding games.
3. Either Eliminate Instant replay entirely, or let the official on the field make the decision, not some blind *** in the booth that may be swayed by outside influences.

47straight
7/19/2007, 12:34 AM
1. A true playoff system with at least 8 teams.
2. Do away with the OT's starting at the 25; hell sudden death would be preferable to this stupid way of deciding games.
3. Either Eliminate Instant replay entirely, or let the official on the field make the decision, not some blind *** in the booth that may be swayed by outside influences.

So basically the NFL. :P

Two feet inbound for possession? Dance music instead of the Pride? Training camp holdouts?

7/19/2007, 03:32 AM
Playoff... that's going to happen. How could it not?

I think the Bowl thing will remain because of the local and national revenues.

Money is the only legitimate argument against a tourney, though.

Straz1999
7/19/2007, 05:41 AM
How about understanding what the **** you typed. And you're still leaving off Michigan, who was much more deserving than Notre Dame last year.

K, there are 3/4 of the 8 bids, all coming from BCS conference champions.... So we have two left...

And the other 2 spots have to be selected from a choice of either an independent (Notre Dame, Temple, Army or Navy) or a conference champion from one of the non-BCS conferences... (MAC, WAC, MTN West, Sun Belt or C-USA).

hmm... I guess I'm missing the part where those two spots can be filled by teams in BCS conferences that did not win their conference crown, much like my example of 2006 Michigan.

Whatever guy. I just used Notre Dame as an example. Yeah youre right, Michigan would have a higher BCS average than Notre Dame, but neither Notre Dame or Michigan showed up for their bowl games, so theres really no point in defending Michigan either. Yeah maybe my post wasnt clear enough because maybe I got too much sand in my eyes and its a little hot over here in the middle east. Sorry pal.

OSUAggie
7/19/2007, 11:35 AM
Why the HELL do we even care who conference champions are if we're going to use the lame, current BCS format? The best way, the only way is to cut the crap. If you aren't the bst in your conference, why do you belong anywhere but maybe a prestigious bowl?

So you don't make a habit of recognizing conference championships in basketball or baseball?

goingoneight
7/19/2007, 03:43 PM
So you don't make a habit of recognizing conference championships in basketball or baseball?

Three different animals, man. That argument is weak. No way do baseball or basketball teams ever walk away as sore and beaten up as even the greatest winner in football does. I know, I played all 3 and loved them all. The whole argument is gettint the best of the best in the tourney. Not giving somebody a chance because they have over 100K fans and weren't able to beat their own CC. The glory of CFB right now, is EVERY WEEK COUNTS. If Meatchicken couldn't beat the elite in conference play, where's the argument that they'd do any better if given a graceful second chance?
The argument comes down to last year for me. If we had a playoff, Michigan would have never been toasted in a meaningless game. So what if you don't like Boise State, so what if they went one-and-done in the playoff. There's just as much a chance Florida could have raped OSU out of the tourney and got their own handed to them on a silver platter by BSU, USC, or OU. Nobody besides BSU last year actually proved they were anything but a good team. Nobody besides BSU proved that they could handle everything that came their way.

SONofa47straitSOONER
7/22/2007, 12:30 AM
Here's a few things that chaps my arse about college football:

1. TV timeouts! There's way too many! It gives the tired team a free rest robbing the team with the momentum and their efforts. This is not the way the game was designed to be played. And it's painful for fans at the actual game. Come on, somebody that's played the game and is in charge put all the commercials during the actual team timeouts and between quarters.

2. That lame attempt to shorten the game by starting the clock when the team gets set and the ref says so. Take away some of the most exciting plays of the game! Huh! (Who thought of that?! And who voted for that?! Clearly, morons at the helm!) (This rule was changed back to the way it was, I believe.)

3. College O.T. should be like the NFL: flip, kickoff, and first to score wins. These young men are in hopes of playing in the big leagues, so they should learn to play that way. Not closer to high school O.T.

goingoneight
7/22/2007, 01:41 AM
Here's a few things that chaps my arse about college football:

1. TV timeouts! There's way too many! It gives the tired team a free rest robbing the team with the momentum and their efforts. This is not the way the game was designed to be played. And it's painful for fans at the actual game. Come on, somebody that's played the game and is in charge put all the commercials during the actual team timeouts and between quarters.

2. That lame attempt to shorten the game by starting the clock when the team gets set and the ref says so. Take away some of the most exciting plays of the game! Huh! (Who thought of that?! And who voted for that?! Clearly, morons at the helm!) (This rule was changed back to the way it was, I believe.)

3. College O.T. should be like the NFL: flip, kickoff, and first to score wins. These young men are in hopes of playing in the big leagues, so they should learn to play that way. Not closer to high school O.T.

Respectfully disagree on the OT. That should be changed in the NFL. That's gay, IMHO. I agree on the coin toss and KO... but first to score is stupid, you're playing a team sport, so let your offense, defense, and if need be special teams units play it out. If the first team scores and the second goes 4 and out... game over, fair and square.

PLaw
7/22/2007, 09:16 AM
1) A playoff system facilitated by the independents joining conferences. Have eight conferences with twelve teams. Conference champs automatically go to the 16 team playoff. At large berths selected by RPI and computer rank average. Polls used for seeding. Four weeks to a champion with the BCS bowls rotating the championship game. Other BCS bowl games would be used for final rankings (3,4); (5,6); and (7,8).

2) Pay the players - funded largely by the NFL and TV contracts. The NFL gets a free pass to player developement. Pay is a function of class and GPA. Along these lines, there needs to be a currculum for "Professional Athletics" that combines some aspects of contract law, business management, and public relations.

3) The NCAA is removed as the controlling entity of college football and replaced by the CFA. Sanctions against the rule breakers are focused on those individuals. Players, coaches, and boosters involved banned from participation from a period of time. For incidents discovered after the players/coaches leave, games played should be forfieted and player/coach to pay restitution or face felony procescution for fraud and/or tax evasion.

BOOMER
PLAW

SONofa47straitSOONER
7/22/2007, 12:58 PM
Respectfully disagree on the OT. That should be changed in the NFL. That's gay, IMHO. I agree on the coin toss and KO... but first to score is stupid, you're playing a team sport, so let your offense, defense, and if need be special teams units play it out. If the first team scores and the second goes 4 and out... game over, fair and square.

That's the best O.T. idea I've heard!