PDA

View Full Version : Are you still "hurt" about the Fiesta Bowl?

AimForCenterMass
7/16/2007, 11:40 PM
There's a thread going on at BroncoCountry in which one of the fans mentions how funny it is that a Zabransky cardboard cutout is standing at local store's entrances. I countered that argument because I certainly don't think too many OU fans are upset about it. I explained that, whether OU is coming off of a good season or bad season, the fans always look to the upcoming year. I guess we've been spoiled and always had something to look forward to, but I remember after 2000, all people could talk about was 2001 and whether or not OU would win another. I also went on to mention that the best team in BSU history beat the sixth best team in Bob Stoops' eight year tenure as Head Coach and that this wasn't OU in its prime. This riled up a few members who claimed I was just saying that because OU lost, but I backed up my statement by providing statistics from 1999-2006. 2006 really was a bad year for OU standards.

So anyways, are you still upset about the loss or have you moved on and are ready for 2007? Please be honest. I have no problem going back to the board and admitting I was wrong.

Here's the link if any of you would like to join in the conversation.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=336&F=2246#S=336&F=2246&T=703398

By the way, don't think I'm only visiting that board because of the Fiesta Bowl. I started posting on the BSU board around 2003, a year after I got stationed in Idaho.

Ash
7/16/2007, 11:55 PM
Nope.

The only thing that bothers me, and it's just slightly annoying, is how they're potrayed as some meek little rag tag pee-wee league team who beat the goliath juggernaut Sooners. Everyone seems to have forgotten that we had beat the odds to get there, no one predicted OU to win the Big 12 after Bomargate, and Peterson went down for part of the year, we had young guys playing...

goingoneight
7/16/2007, 11:56 PM
Heck no... at least we weren't struggling againt 6-6 Iowa or Alabama in the Toilet Bowl... we went to the freaking BCS. If you can't admit BSU's greatness, then you just flat-out don't know greatness when you see it. The great thing about being an OU fan is knowing that we'll see more 12-win seasons, Heisman candidates, BCS games, National exposure (be it bad or good), etc. Great tradition doesn't guarantee wins against so-called "lesser" opponents. Hell, USC supposedly only had four MNCs when they played us... Texas manages wins against us... OSU has won a few games over the last century against us :D... it happens, at least we put up a fight.

AimForCenterMass
7/17/2007, 12:07 AM
Thank you for your responses gentlemen. I'm open to anyone's input if you'd like to reply.

Pepper
7/17/2007, 12:08 AM
I am somewhat bitter because I was there, and I don't think OU played nearly as well as they could have. However, the sting of the loss is gone and I admit it was an exciting game. I'm glad I can say I was there at one of the best bowl games ever played. You are right though that now I am more looking forward to seeing OU vie for another championship in 2007.

Sooner98
7/17/2007, 12:20 AM
I wasn't bitter about it, even as I was walking out of the stadium. The team over-achieved last year with all that happened, we got a Big 12 title out of it, and I got to take a nice trip to Phoenix. Every other Big 12 school would have LOVED to experience what we did last year, the loss in the Fiesta Bowl notwithstanding, and anyone making fun of us because we lost the game is just jealous that we got to play in our FIFTH BCS GAME in seven years.

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 12:31 AM
That's exactly the way I see it. If you don't like your team going 6-6 and hyperventillating as you wait to find out IF you're going to a bowl or not... why are you a fan of that team? Is it Bob Stoops's fault he's a winner and that BIG 12 crowns and 12-win seasons = BCS bowls?

MamaMia
7/17/2007, 12:34 AM
Every once in a while even as blind squirrel finds a nut.

illinisooner
7/17/2007, 12:55 AM
I could care less about it, but I cannot stand other fans who portray it as the Miracle on Ice of college football and say it's the biggest upset of all time or whatever.

KingDavid
7/17/2007, 01:22 AM
The only thing that urks me is that thug Zabransky. I would have so loved to have sent him back to therapy with his last memory Marcus Walker's pick 6. Oh well.

Otherwise: awesome game. Nothing to be ashamed of. Rather, I'd say I'm darn proud of the way we hung in there and came back. Lotta heart!

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 01:29 AM
What did Zabransky do that Torrance Marshall DIDN'T do to FSU? If you're mad about him backing his words up, that's kinda silly.

Boffingham
7/17/2007, 02:21 AM
i think the ncaa should investigate something stupid for the 06 season, so we can vacate the fiesta bowl and never be allowed to mention it again.

Doged
7/17/2007, 02:30 AM
I was disappointed we lost, sure. Not bitter, though. OUr pretty good soph laden team took the measure of a pretty good senior laden team, is how I've viewed it. Boise had a solid team and a great season.

yermom
7/17/2007, 02:47 AM
we should have won. yet again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory sucked.

maybe i'd be less bitter if Oregon hadn't been in the same season, and if i hadn't been there for both of them.

anyway, it was an amazing game. i just want to be on the right side of one again one of these days ;)

any season that gets us another conference championship can't be looked at as bad. just making the BCS is a pretty big accomplishment

leavingthezoo
7/17/2007, 07:36 AM
i'm not that bitter. the way i look at it, it's all they've got. if it wasn't all they have, there wouldn't be such joy and awe associated with beating a team whose record for the year was actually worse than yours. so i'm ok with them bustin' a nut over it because... there's a good chance it won't get better from here for them. oklahoma on the other hand... has risen, fallen and risen again in the past. if we didn't have a such a storied history, we'd depend on a questionable david/goliath story to sate our egos also.

good for them. and it was one heck of a game.

MiccoMacey
7/17/2007, 08:10 AM
Not bitter. It's just a college football game. It's not life. When I woke up the next morning, my kids and wife still loved me. All was right with the world.

It doesn't even sting, especially in light of the 2004 Orange Bowl (which was still just a football game). I doubt any other game will ever "sting" as bad as that one.

Boise State outplayed us. They were the better team that night. I have no problem saying that.

SoonerBOI
7/17/2007, 08:10 AM
nope. It could have gone either way.

sanantoniosooner
7/17/2007, 08:14 AM
I'm only bitter about fans that still whine about it.

leavingthezoo
7/17/2007, 08:17 AM
i'm not that bitter. the way i look at it, it's all they've got. if it wasn't all they have, there wouldn't be such joy and awe associated with beating a team whose record for the year was actually worse than yours. so i'm ok with them bustin' a nut over it because... there's a good chance it won't get better from here for them. oklahoma on the other hand... has risen, fallen and risen again in the past. if we didn't have a such a storied history, we'd depend on a questionable david/goliath story to sate our egos also.

good for them. and it was one heck of a game.

YOU SO SOUND BITTER!

once again the football board fails to admonish me appropriately.

EstablishedSooner1967
7/17/2007, 08:33 AM
Pretty much.... there is no way OU should have lost to F-ing Boise St.! OU came back down 28 to 10 and lost on 3 trick plays.. I just think about how this still could have been one of the best games of the bowl series.. Marcus Walkers INT.. with 1:08.... to come back and win.. but no! OU gets beat with the play OU invented with the Hook and latteral.... OU we'll! time to move on.

olevetonahill
7/17/2007, 09:09 AM
YOU SO SOUND BITTER!

once again the football board fails to admonish me appropriately.
Im just gonna have to Spank you then :hot:

usmc-sooner
7/17/2007, 09:12 AM
OU should never lose to BSU.

but like MM said the next day the sun still came out. I'm ready for this year especially Miami.

HTown77095
7/17/2007, 09:21 AM
I don't see any shame in losing to an undefeated team by 1 pt in overtime. Lets face it, BS was darn good last year. Like has been said before, OU overcame ALOT of adversity to get there. No way will BS beat OU this year. No way..

And BS would have never beat OU without all those trick plays that NOBODY saw coming.

Bottom line is that game was a fluke.

Jewstin
7/17/2007, 09:47 AM
I'm not bitter about losing to a senior laden squad like Boise State. No matter what talent level, any time you get that many guys together for 3 or 4 years, they're going to be a solid team.

I *am* bitter about the botched call on an Ian Johnson fumble late in the game. They kept showing this stupid replay from the other side of the stadium at ground level, not realizing that football fields have a crown to them. The other angles were plain as day that his knee wasn't down when the ball came out.

But after enduring Oregon '06 and Tech '05, I've kind of grown accustom to being completely tooled by referees. :)

picasso
7/17/2007, 09:56 AM
we've won more big ones than we've lost.

Was that game a big one? At the time maybe but not in history.

Tear Down This Wall
7/17/2007, 10:05 AM
Every once in a while even as blind squirrel finds a nut.

Exactly!

Edmond Sooner
7/17/2007, 10:32 AM
Yes. Marcus Walker should have stepped out of bounds with that interception instead of running it back to score a touchdown!!!!!!!11 :mad:

I keed! I keed! :P

Seriously, just looking forward to this season.

FlatheadSooner
7/17/2007, 07:36 PM
Fiesta loss - I'm fine.

OB SUC - Still hurt.

'07 Season will help heal the wound - '08 Season might damn near make it disappear.

BOOMER!!!!!

PLaw
7/17/2007, 07:45 PM
This whole subject is really, really tired.

Time to think about two a days, opening day, hurtin' the 'Canes, kickin' the t-sips, and winning another Big XII championship,

BOOMER
PLAW

GrapevineSooner
7/17/2007, 07:53 PM
Boise State needed to pull off three clutch plays to win the game.

They did.

I can't be bitter about it.

All I can do is tip my hat to them and thank both teams for giving us a classic.

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 07:54 PM
Not bitter. It's just a college football game. It's not life. When I woke up the next morning, my kids and wife still loved me. All was right with the world.

It doesn't even sting, especially in light of the 2004 Orange Bowl (which was still just a football game). I doubt any other game will ever "sting" as bad as that one.

Boise State outplayed us. They were the better team that night. I have no problem saying that.

Try waking up in Stillwater after the 2002 ****** game, having to re-air-up your tires, clean oranger **** off the windows, listen to countless agroids cuss you out at places like the gas station, the car wash, and McDonalds. Come home to Tulsa, read the Sunday paper about a "team on the rise," that jerkoff :les:'s smartass comments all over Tulsa (aggy) local TV stations for hours on end. Those were the two worst games in the Stoops era to swallow for me.

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 07:57 PM
Lemme ax a question: How come we couldn't comeback from 28-10 against Texass? Yeah, that'd have been saweet. :D

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 08:01 PM
I don't see any shame in losing to an undefeated team by 1 pt in overtime. Lets face it, BS was darn good last year. Like has been said before, OU overcame ALOT of adversity to get there. No way will BS beat OU this year. No way..

And BS would have never beat OU without all those trick plays that NOBODY saw coming.

Bottom line is that game was a fluke.

Not when it's your 3rd BCS loss.

Great game.
Great opponent.
Exciting to know a great majority of that OU team is back in 2007 and 2008.
Sucks to lose in OT, but it was bound to happen someday. Thankfully it wasn't Baylor.

tulsaoilerfan
7/17/2007, 08:31 PM
Not bitter about it, but can't understand why such a big deal was made about it when, realistically, this was Stoops' worst team to win the Big 12, which no one in the media seems to give a damn about. Let's match up the 01 team against BSU and i don't think they would have ever scored on us.

BASSooner
7/17/2007, 08:32 PM
I've moved on since the game. I thought it was great. Apparently some of OUr guys are still hung over from it and should be hung over(in a good way) about OUr upcoming season

fadada1
7/17/2007, 08:39 PM

you refer to this event as if it actually happened. frankly, i don't know what the heck you're talking about. this event was similar to the 1942-44 british open golf tournaments... they simply didn't happen. ask anyone that was there... they don't remember a thing about them.

;)

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 08:42 PM
:les: REMEMBER, UO DIDN'T PLAY FOOTBALL IN 2005!!!

Soonerfan88
7/17/2007, 08:58 PM
I was never bitter about it, just EXTREMELY disappointed. And the possibilities of 2007 have me as excited as I have ever been. I believe Bob could get his own back-to-back championships in 07-08 to match Bud & Barry.

However, it does make my blood boil when I hear media & others call it "one of the biggest upsets ever." OU was only favored by 7 pts, BSU was undefeated and a Sr. laden team. It causes the same twitch as the Sugar Bowl being referred to as a "blowout." AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

JohnnyMack
7/17/2007, 09:02 PM
Nope.

soonerspudman
7/17/2007, 10:41 PM
Heck no... at least we weren't struggling againt 6-6 Iowa or Alabama in the Toilet Bowl... we went to the freaking BCS. If you can't admit BSU's greatness, then you just flat-out don't know greatness when you see it. The great thing about being an OU fan is knowing that we'll see more 12-win seasons, Heisman candidates, BCS games, National exposure (be it bad or good), etc. Great tradition doesn't guarantee wins against so-called "lesser" opponents. Hell, USC supposedly only had four MNCs when they played us... Texas manages wins against us... OSU has won a few games over the last century against us :D... it happens, at least we put up a fight.

Nicely put. BSU had a great season, but a mammoth gap exists between having a great year and being a great tradition for over half a century. BSU will likely learn this year how hard it is to achieve persistent greatness, while OU will continue to be OU, that's the perspective required.

StoopTroup
7/17/2007, 11:18 PM
Wow...

BSU won a Bowl Game against a Team that scrapped it's way to get there...

OU had one of the most memorable comeback seasons since they won the MNC in 2000. The 2000 year was made up of some very special people. They were battered and bruised yet they all stuck it out till they took home the crystal ball.

Last years OU team was looking to be one of the best and was faced with the possibility of self-destructing. They pulled it together all year long and made it to a Conference Championship against Nebraska...A longtime Conference Powerhouse looking to knock off the Sooners. OUr Team defeated them and went on to play an Undefeated NCAA Div 1 Team in a BCS Bowl. If my memory is correct...the BCS is supposed to pick the BEST Team to go to a BCS Bowl...

I think 2 very good Teams met in the Feista...

One of them almost ruined a perfect Season but saved it in the last moments of a well fought contest.

Neither Team deserved to lose....

OU ended up with less points...BSU gets bragging rights for the Game.

I've moved on...

soonersweetie
7/18/2007, 02:42 PM
Wow...

BSU won a Bowl Game against a Team that scrapped it's way to get there...

OU had one of the most memorable comeback seasons since they won the MNC in 2000. The 2000 year was made up of some very special people. They were battered and bruised yet they all stuck it out till they took home the crystal ball.

Last years OU team was looking to be one of the best and was faced with the possibility of self-destructing. They pulled it together all year long and made it to a Conference Championship against Nebraska...A longtime Conference Powerhouse looking to knock off the Sooners. OUr Team defeated them and went on to play an Undefeated NCAA Div 1 Team in a BCS Bowl. If my memory is correct...the BCS is supposed to pick the BEST Team to go to a BCS Bowl...

I think 2 very good Teams met in the Feista...

One of them almost ruined a perfect Season but saved it in the last moments of a well fought contest.

Neither Team deserved to lose....

OU ended up with less points...BSU gets bragging rights for the Game.

I've moved on...

My thoughts exactly.

I was at the game and I will say that it was the "most exciting" game I have ever witnessed in person where we came out on the losing end. At that moment it felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest.

However, looking back at it now, I follow the sentiments of the quote above.

Boomer Sooner!

AZSOONER
7/19/2007, 10:13 AM
I was sitting 30 rows up on the 50 yard line (I bought those seats under face value the day of the game) I've never seen emotion switch hands so often as it did that night, the west side of the stadium was going crazy while we sat and watched, then our dive down the field to pull within 2, an hour and 18 plays later (so it felt) we converted it and the Crimson side was the side going crazy. Then the intereception, I thought it was over. By the time the game was over I was sitting in my seat feeling as though I was having a heart attack, I threw up 3 times on the way back to my truck in the parking lot from anxiety that night sucked. The next day was better and now I'm glad we were apart of that game. BSU was and remained an undefeated team. Which also makes me happy having another example showing the bcs doesn't work. The only team at the end of the season without a loss and they end up ranked 5th. What a joke.

stoopified
7/20/2007, 03:50 PM
I'm a very poor loser,so yes it still hurts.I remain convinced that the best team didnot win.To put things in complete perspective you must realize I am still chapped over the 1957 ND game and that game took place 3 years before I was even born.

Big Game Bob
7/20/2007, 03:57 PM
I wasn't bitter about it, even as I was walking out of the stadium. The team over-achieved last year with all that happened, we got a Big 12 title out of it, and I got to take a nice trip to Phoenix. Every other Big 12 school would have LOVED to experience what we did last year, the loss in the Fiesta Bowl notwithstanding, and anyone making fun of us because we lost the game is just jealous that we got to play in our FIFTH BCS GAME in seven years.

I am relatively new at this, so please be patient. How many of those five BCS games that you have been a part of in seven years have resulted in victory? Thanks in advance!

Ash
7/20/2007, 04:02 PM
I am relatively new at this, so please be patient. How many of those five BCS games that you have been a part of in seven years have resulted in victory? Thanks in advance!

I'm not new at this, so please cut to the chase, how many troll handles did you go through before you chose this one?

LittleWingSooner
7/20/2007, 04:04 PM
After we destroy North Texas I'll be over it. Anytime you lose to end a season it's tough to forget it.

picasso
7/20/2007, 04:15 PM
enough to fill our trophy cases and give us much smack to talk.

how about you show some chub and tell us who your short strokin team is you small town huzzy?

picasso
7/20/2007, 04:16 PM
After we destroy North Texas I'll be over it. Anytime you lose to end a season and you're an overall dork who has used the internet as a mouth piece for a nerd's view of the game of football it's tough to forget it.

yep.

picasso
7/20/2007, 04:43 PM
just kiddin ya man.

keep on hatin on the best coach we've had in years, ok?

lumberlady
7/20/2007, 04:56 PM
Definitely still "hurt" and won't get over it. I am a sore loser!
Boomer Sooner
LL

Pricetag
7/23/2007, 01:44 PM
There's a thread going on at BroncoCountry in which one of the fans mentions how funny it is that a Zabransky cardboard cutout is standing at local store's entrances.
Evidently someone is still hurt about it around here. At my local Wal-Mart, someone had taken a marker to it--drew on a crappy-looking moustache and ridiculous arm band tattoo.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/23/2007, 03:37 PM
I was never bitter about it, just EXTREMELY disappointed. And the possibilities of 2007 have me as excited as I have ever been. I believe Bob could get his own back-to-back championships in 07-08 to match Bud & Barry.

However, it does make my blood boil when I hear media & others call it "one of the biggest upsets ever." OU was only favored by 7 pts, BSU was undefeated and a Sr. laden team. It causes the same twitch as the Sugar Bowl being referred to as a "blowout." AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!My sentiments, too. The Sooners were definitely overconfident going into that Fiesta Bowl, and didn't get serious til middle of the third quarter. It'
s tough to get up for a bush-league team-even one that's undefeated.