PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: SPOILER THREAD!

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2007, 11:15 PM
WARNING: This thread will have spoilers in it. I am setting it up for discussion of Book 7 of the Harry Potter series for people who have already read the book. If you have NOT read the book and are reading this thread, you have two choices: get spoiled, or STOP READING NOW!

Of course, there are no spoilers posted here right now. Because the book won't be out for four more days.

hurricane'bone
7/16/2007, 11:16 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/AngelRoseMarie/Just%20Me/WizardCatSez.jpg

StoopTroup
7/16/2007, 11:17 PM
What about lurking...

Is that allowed?

I might not see the movie is why I asked.

GottaHavePride
7/16/2007, 11:17 PM
Movie will be out in about two years, so...

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, you can lurk. If you want to be spoiled. There is no movie for you to see right now.

Oh, yeah-anyone posting spoilers in any other thread is gonna get themselves deleted. ;)

StoopTroup
7/16/2007, 11:19 PM
There's another thread?

I thought this one was to many....;)

soonerboomer93
7/16/2007, 11:27 PM
I said I read the book already...

soonerboomer93
7/16/2007, 11:34 PM
Ginney is pregant, she pops the kid right before the final battle and he kills voldemort

Mixer!
7/16/2007, 11:42 PM
:les: CLOSE vBOOKIE NOW!

soonerboomer93
7/17/2007, 10:23 AM
just read the sig, yeah, that means you sic 'em.........

:D

crawfish
7/17/2007, 10:52 AM
I'm buying the book and then leaving for vacation. NO INNERWEB SPOILERS FOR ME!!!

SoonerStormchaser
7/17/2007, 11:11 AM
Never read the books...only saw the first three movies...

...not interested in the rest.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/17/2007, 12:13 PM
Well, thanks to the Oklahoman in about two clicks I found a spoiler site, that apparently gleaned it's information from the stolen scanned copies. It'll be intersting to see if any of it is accurate. But after reading what I did it does feel like I already read the book. But I guess I really don't feel cheated if it turns out as stated. Getting there is the fun of it for me.

crawfish
7/17/2007, 12:36 PM

Well, thanks for dropping by to offer your opinion, at least. :rolleyes:

bri
7/17/2007, 12:56 PM

Knowing that makes me (and I'm sure, everyone else) feel a lot better about our choice to continue reading and enjoying the franchise. All the big words are like book bouncers.

silverwheels
7/17/2007, 01:26 PM
Saturday can't get here soon enough.

SicEmBaylor
7/17/2007, 01:48 PM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1275602,00.html
Apparently the book was leaked online, via p2p.

I did a search to see if I could find the book, and admittedly I did take a peak out of curiosity. Honestly, I think it's a fake. I read a couple of the first paragraphs and it doesn't seem to have the same...I don't know flair or quality of writing that the other books had. I'm thinking it's fan-fiction and bogus, but who knows. I'm not going to read anymore; because, I'd rather just wait for the real book to come out.

SoonerStormchaser
7/17/2007, 01:50 PM
I know...I just wanted to share my thoughts with you all. :D

NormanPride
7/17/2007, 02:01 PM
Never flown a plane... I've been in a few planes though.

Not interested in them at all.

Hatfield
7/17/2007, 02:28 PM
i am thinking of rereading the first 6 prior to the 7th to refamiliarize myself with everything...or i will just finish the book i am reading and dive right in....

1stTimeCaller
7/17/2007, 02:56 PM
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

def_lazer_fc
7/17/2007, 08:05 PM
snake kills dumbledore!! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4x_WUb68RQo)
freakin' classic!

the_ouskull
7/17/2007, 08:36 PM
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Greatness.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
7/18/2007, 04:42 PM
snake kills dumbledore!! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4x_WUb68RQo)
freakin' classic!
heh.

:pop:

Melo
7/18/2007, 09:52 PM
I just bought my copy today! They said 'show up at 12 to get it!'

Because its a local bookstore, theyre throwing a 'Harry Potter' party. Am I too old to go? I kind of want to go.... :O

soonerscuba
7/18/2007, 10:10 PM
I just bought my copy today! They said 'show up at 12 to get it!'

Because its a local bookstore, theyre throwing a 'Harry Potter' party. Am I too old to go? I kind of want to go.... :O

Tonight, or Friday?

Melo
7/18/2007, 10:27 PM
Friday? It doesnt come out today, duh! ;)

Though I have to say, the guy who was selling me my book had a Baylor shirt on. He was a complete flipping idiot. He was short and scrawny. Gave off some gay vibes.

I seriously walked out of the store trying to tell myself that had NOT just ran into SicEm.

Norm In Norman
7/18/2007, 10:34 PM
Dunno if there are actual spoilers in here so I won't read. I figure you all have read the photos taken of each page that got leaked.

I'm going to buy it but I'm going to try and wait to read it until I get through the other books again. I'm halfway through #3 so I doubt I'll finish them all by Friday.

Mixer!
7/18/2007, 11:20 PM
Though I have to say, the guy who was selling me my book had a Baylor shirt on. He was a complete flipping idiot. He was short and scrawny. Gave off some gay vibes.

I seriously walked out of the store trying to tell myself that had NOT just ran into SicEm.

Depends... was he equating Voldemort to Lincoln? :D

SicEmBaylor
7/19/2007, 01:01 AM
Friday? It doesnt come out today, duh! ;)

Why do you think he was an idiot in the short amount of time you were conducting a simple financial transaction?

I doubt he was an actual student, we don't have gay people. It's against the student code of conduct you see.

jk the sooner fan
7/19/2007, 06:01 AM
Knowing that makes me (and I'm sure, everyone else) feel a lot better about our choice to continue reading and enjoying the franchise. All the big words are like book bouncers.

so true, nothing defines intellect like harry potter books

SoonerStormchaser
7/19/2007, 04:51 PM
Why do you think he was an idiot in the short amount of time you were conducting a simple financial transaction?

I doubt he was an actual student, we don't have gay people. It's against the student code of conduct you see.

So having gay people at Baylor is bad...but having desperate men on campus is ok? :rolleyes: :eek:

Chuck Bao
7/19/2007, 05:26 PM
I’ve booked my book (UK adult version) online yesterday. I’m supposed to go to a shopping mall bookstore on Saturday morning at 6am (that’s 6pm Friday evening Okie time) to pick it up. The party starts at 4am and I think I’ll go for that because they give away a lot of free stuff and it should be fun to take pics of all the adult HP dorks, besides myself of course. At 6:05am, I’ll be the dude driving my bike while trying to read that epilogue chapter.

Melo
7/19/2007, 06:26 PM

You see - I asked him several questions about the book, things like: 'If I BUY the book, are you sure I will have a copy?' and 'Do I have to come to the party to get my book at 12?' Things I could have PROBABLY answered on my own had I taken the time to think about it. But the guy was THERE to answer those questions. And each time I asked him something, he did this:

"...........uh.....Well....Hey Linda, *repeats Melos question**Looks confused*" Like, dude... if you DONT know... dont waste 30 seconds trying to figure out if you know or not. Just turn around and ask them!

Sooner24
7/19/2007, 10:33 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/haha.gif

so true, nothing defines intellect like harry potter books

OUDoc
7/20/2007, 01:00 PM
I'm buying the book and then leaving for vacation. NO INNERWEB SPOILERS FOR ME!!!
So. When are you leaving?:pop:

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2007, 01:02 PM
so this is the last HP book, but is she going to write something else? or is she so ilthy rich from HP that she's walking away while on top?

hard to believe she wont try some other writing venture

silverwheels
7/20/2007, 01:16 PM
so this is the last HP book, but is she going to write something else? or is she so ilthy rich from HP that she's walking away while on top?

hard to believe she wont try some other writing venture

I think I read somewhere that she's going to write children's books. She must love writing, because she's worth a billion pounds. If I were worth that much, I'd retire.

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2007, 01:17 PM
going to write childrens books?

isnt that what she's been doing? ;)

silverwheels
7/20/2007, 01:21 PM
Heh. I mean like fairy tale-type books. For the smaller childrens.

Fugue
7/20/2007, 01:23 PM
Heh. I mean like fairy tale-type books. For the smaller childrens.

Like the first Harry Potter book? :D

silverwheels
7/20/2007, 01:25 PM
Only slightly longer, probably. :D

jk the sooner fan
7/20/2007, 01:27 PM
so, with pictures then?

silverwheels
7/20/2007, 01:32 PM
so, with pictures then?

Hopefully full-page pictures.

Mixer!
7/20/2007, 06:16 PM
So it's 12:15AM in London. Does this mean the spoilers should start flowing any minute now? :confused:

Chuck Bao
7/20/2007, 07:22 PM
I got my book. It was a pretty cool dealio.

They had a mock up Diagon Alley shop fronts and a platform 9 and ¾ and a small mock-up train, a live owl, dancers and stuff. The British ambassador gave a speech and they gave away a lot of free stuff, but I didn’t win anything. I got free black witch hat, t-shirt and large coffee mug for showing up so early, but I assume part of that was already priced into the book.

Sooner24
7/20/2007, 11:12 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/sleep_2.gif

soonerboomer93
7/20/2007, 11:13 PM
heh, I could probably find an english version around here, but I don't feel like jacking with it today...

GottaHavePride
7/21/2007, 07:32 AM
Holy. ****ing. Crap.

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2007, 07:37 AM
you were up all nite reading it werent you?

i just dont get the whole deal - about any book, or movie for that matter, that has people standing in line for all hours of the day to get the first copy or first viewing

the book isnt going anywhere.........is it the spoiler that pushes you to read it first and soonest?

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2007, 09:25 AM
Holy. ****ing. Crap.

Yeah, that was pretty f-ing good.

I have a feeling that Norm is really going to like one of the names for the Wand of Destiny.

I knew Harry was a horcrux. KNEW it.

Kreacher begging to hit Mundungus just one more time was comedy gold.

Hedwig. :(

Dobby. :( :(

I somehow missed Lupin and Tonks' death scenes-I think I skipped a page somewhere, 'cause next think I knew they were both dead.

Interesting message about Snape. He was still a smarmy little prick, but love even redeemed him.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2007, 09:27 AM

i just dont get the whole deal - about any book, or movie for that matter, that has people standing in line for all hours of the day to get the first copy or first viewing

the book isnt going anywhere.........is it the spoiler that pushes you to read it first and soonest?

Similarly, you don't get a different story if you wait for it and some of us like to enjoy things as soon as we can. If you're not into someone else's idea of fun, what's the point in running it down?

Me, I got to Borders around 11:00, hung out with a few friends, and was out of the store by 12:30. I don't feel like hanging out with friends for an hour and a half is a particularly onerous sacrifice of my time.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2007, 09:35 AM
Oh, yeah, and all the jokes about George's ear-hole were awesome. In particular I enjoyed "Your holeyness."

GottaHavePride
7/21/2007, 12:24 PM

I've been waiting to see how the story ends for a year. That's motivation enough. And I've always been the kind of person that tends to just sit down and read a book all in one go. I read fast enough that reading is like watching a movie in my head, and I wouldn't pause a movie in the middle and say "OK, I'll finish that tomorrow" either.

Damn, that was a BIG bodycount. I was right about Pettigrew biting it for Harry (sort of). I like that all the main characters killed a Horcrux - Dumbledore, Harry (the diary and himself, sort of), Ron, Hermione, and Neville.

How about Mrs. Weasley showing what she's made of at the end there, eh?

Mike, she kind of glossed over Lupin and Tonks dying - Harry wasn't in the room when it happened, so the first time you learn about it is in the aftermath of the battle. The books are nearly always from Harry's viewpoint except for isolated scenes here and there.

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2007, 12:25 PM
Similarly, you don't get a different story if you wait for it and some of us like to enjoy things as soon as we can. If you're not into someone else's idea of fun, what's the point in running it down?

Me, I got to Borders around 11:00, hung out with a few friends, and was out of the store by 12:30. I don't feel like hanging out with friends for an hour and a half is a particularly onerous sacrifice of my time.

i'm running it down?

funny, i wasnt aware asking a question meant i was running your fun down

i simply asked, and quantified it for "any book".......what is the draw to getting the book (again, any book) the minute it comes out

GHP - makes sense, thanks

proud gonzo
7/21/2007, 03:05 PM
if you're going to ask why I stayed up reading the book all night, i'm going to ask why you didn't. I mean, obviously if you don't think it's worth getting a book the first minute it's out, there's nothing we can do to explain why it's worth it in our opinion. "If you have to ask, you'll never know."

silverwheels
7/21/2007, 03:35 PM
Four chapters in and I knew this book was going to be beyond badass, and it was.

Frozen Sooner
7/21/2007, 03:43 PM
All I know is that Norm's head is going to explode when he finds out that one of the names for the wand is the Deathstick.

jk the sooner fan
7/21/2007, 03:51 PM
if you're going to ask why I stayed up reading the book all night, i'm going to ask why you didn't. I mean, obviously if you don't think it's worth getting a book the first minute it's out, there's nothing we can do to explain why it's worth it in our opinion. "If you have to ask, you'll never know."

well since you asked

i was sleeping, i read during the day

FaninAma
7/22/2007, 01:15 PM
Snape turns out to be the most sympathetic, heroic and tragic figure in the entire series. Who wudda thunk it.

Frozen Sooner
7/22/2007, 03:44 PM
Snape turns out to be the most sympathetic, heroic and tragic figure in the entire series. Who wudda thunk it.

I still don't see him that way. I know that a lot of people do, but Snape was a wholehearted Death Eater right up until he lost someone he cared about. It seemed to me that he was more about getting revenge on Voldemort for killing Lilly than he was about being truly good.

GottaHavePride
7/22/2007, 07:08 PM
I definitely think Snape turned out to be the most complex character out of all the books.

Ike
7/22/2007, 07:31 PM
All in all, there weren't a whole lot of surprises in this book. Except for the fact that Harrys death didn't make him dead.

Still, I loved reading it.

jrsooner
7/22/2007, 09:23 PM
Oh, yeah, and all the jokes about George's ear-hole were awesome. In particular I enjoyed "Your holeyness."Well for me it's the first Harry book I've read. Seen the movies, my wife has read all of them. She's out of town with the kids, so I figured I'd read it and make her sweat when she was reading it. Sort of... guessing what's going to happen before it does. Flippant comments like... Yeah, I bet so and so does this, etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed it! Best line though was Hermione's line about there being too many gov't lawyers around. :)

jrsooner
7/22/2007, 09:26 PM
I still don't see him that way. I know that a lot of people do, but Snape was a wholehearted Death Eater right up until he lost someone he cared about. It seemed to me that he was more about getting revenge on Voldemort for killing Lilly than he was about being truly good.That's what I got from the book. That he wasn't doing it to be "good" but doing it to get even with You-Know-Who.

jrsooner
7/22/2007, 09:36 PM
i simply asked, and quantified it for "any book".......what is the draw to getting the book (again, any book) the minute it comes outFor me.. it's simple, I read basically book series. W.E.B. Griffin's series (Brotherhood of Arms, The Corp, The Badge, etc), some David Webers (Honor series), etc. So it's somewhat like a TV show series for me. If you get to liking the characters you want to see what's coming next for them.

As for being first in line or waiting a long time, I will usually pre-order for my wife (she likes hardbacks) or I have to wait an additional year (I like softcovers), so by the time a new book comes out, I'm in the mood for another go with some characters that I've enjoyed.

For movies and books that we know alot of our friends will be discussing, yes, we like to watch/read them quickly so others don't spoil the enjoyment of "not knowing" what's going to happen next.

jk the sooner fan
7/22/2007, 09:39 PM
For me.. it's simple, I read basically book series. W.E.B. Griffin's series (Brotherhood of Arms, The Corp, The Badge, etc), some David Webers (Honor series), etc. So it's somewhat like a TV show series for me. If you get to liking the characters you want to see what's coming next for them.

As for being first in line or waiting a long time, I will usually pre-order for my wife (she likes hardbacks) or I have to wait an additional year (I like softcovers), so by the time a new book comes out, I'm in the mood for another go with some characters that I've enjoyed.

For movies and books that we know alot of our friends will be discussing, yes, we like to watch/read them quickly so others don't spoil the enjoyment of "not knowing" what's going to happen next.

i read those W.E.B. Griffin series as well, after the second one, the story lines were the same - to me anyway

hey i like books, and i'm not knocking harry potter....i just dont get the waiting in line till midnite and staying up and reading it all nite long

we're all different and we all like to read in different ways.......i prefer to read a book over a couple of days....if i pulled an all nighter i'd think i missed something trying to speed read it

yesterday at wal-mart a girl was walking and pushing her basket, while reading the book....

OUinFLA
7/22/2007, 10:09 PM

yeah.........but it's still daylight up where you are. like.........you have no night time.

my Son did the midnight book thing, complete with costume. But since I was in bed by then, I wasn't planning on it. Oh, and I havent read any of the books anyway.

proud gonzo
7/22/2007, 11:27 PM
GHP and I had Gryffindor scarves :D

Ike
7/22/2007, 11:39 PM
GHP and I had Gryffindor scarves :D

There was some chick in front of us in line that was wearing a Hufflepuff robe. I could not, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would do that...Hufflepuff seems to only exist as a placeholder for the 4th house.

SoonerAtKU
7/23/2007, 06:05 AM
There was some chick in front of us in line that was wearing a Hufflepuff robe. I could not, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would do that...Hufflepuff seems to only exist as a placeholder for the 4th house.

Spoken like a true Slytherin. I wondered when the connection between the green S in your avatar and your true feelings about others might come out, Physicist-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

FaninAma
7/23/2007, 09:12 AM
I still don't see him that way. I know that a lot of people do, but Snape was a wholehearted Death Eater right up until he lost someone he cared about. It seemed to me that he was more about getting revenge on Voldemort for killing Lilly than he was about being truly good.

Regardless of his motivation, one cannot argue that Snape did not come from a priviliged background and suffered a lot of derision and humiliation from his classmates but in the end was Dumbledore's closest confident and put himself in tremendous danger by being a spy in Voldemort's inner circle....all the while he continued to suffer the derision and hatred of his colleagues and the "good guys" because they did not know he was only carrying out Dumbledore's wishes. He showed a tremendous amount of courage and discipline.

Becoming a Death Eater was a mistake made when he was young and motivated by the humilating actions perpetratd against him by James Potter and the others. It turns out that Dumbledore was the only friend Snape ever had and ,in fact, Snapes redemption was , IMO, Dumbledore's greatest achievement.

NormanPride
7/23/2007, 10:59 AM
Honestly, after all the euphoria of finishing the book faded, I'm pretty disappointed.

The deaths were meaningless to me. The only death I really cared about was Dobby's, and that was because they made such a big deal about it. However, Rowling turned right around and made Griphook look terrible, thus undermining the whole "all magical creatures are equal" schtik. For ****'s sake, we don't even get to see Tonks and Lupin die, and they were major side characters. Lupin was a main character in one of the books! What the hell! "First wave of the battle's over... gee Lupin's dead. Tonks, too.

Too much time spent in a tent with Ron's wangst and Hermione suddenly not being clever at all. I know Rowling was trying to set up how isolated they felt, but 1. Why? and 2. It was poorly done. Why not spend that time developing side characters? Why not spend it showing Lupin's struggles so that him and Tonks actually make sense together and, I dunno, their deaths mean something at the end?

Here's an idea: If the locket makes you mean and cranky, put it in the damn bag with all the other stuff you carry around! Morons.

Also - did I miss something, or did Ron's injuries mean absolutely nothing? Nothing changed about his activity, and nobody ever said anything when they saw him. Did he get healed? Did I miss that? Or did Rowling just forget that he was missing an arm and some fingers?

Oh, and the Epilogue was uberlame. It read like bad fanfiction, and the fact that Snape got remembered as a name, but there was no mention of Sirius is just terrible.

silverwheels
7/23/2007, 11:17 AM
Here's an idea: If the locket makes you mean and cranky, put it in the damn bag with all the other stuff you carry around! Morons.

They covered that in the book. Harry wanted it on one of their persons at all times, just to be absolutely sure it wouldn't get lost.

As complex as this story is, I don't think she could have ended it any better. The epilogue was a little cheesy, but she's still writing with children in mind, so I didn't have a problem with it.

garland sooner
7/23/2007, 11:20 AM
They covered that in the book. Harry wanted it on one of their persons at all times, just to be absolutely sure it wouldn't get lost.
Maybe, but if it was in their bag, wasn't it with them (i.e. Harry's moleskin pouch)? It seemed like Rowling wanted it to seem like The Ring of Power from LOTR.

To me, Lupin's death and Tonk's death was a little rediculous. It seemed like Lupin paid attention to Harry's plea to not let their son be an orphan and then turned around and forgot about that. Tragic? Yes, but I expected something else. I knew Lupin died before the body count at the end of the first battle because he was fighting Dolohov early in the battle and then later you find Dolohov fighting someone else (I think Tonks).

I just didn't like how Snape went so quietly into the night. I understand why he dies at the hand of Voldemort but seriously, he could've at least taken out Nagini to expose his true self. Show something more macho. I like that he was complex which makes the end of the Half-blood Prince even more dramatic.

Overall, a good read. I might read it again in a couple of weeks if I feel like it.

garland sooner
7/23/2007, 11:26 AM
oh, I bought my couple the next day at Sam's Club in the afternoon. There were a ton of copies so I wasn't even worried about not getting it.

I went to the Rangers game that night and I saw some fan reading the book. Hello? Why buy a ticket if you are just going to read the book? We weren't even losing!

NormanPride
7/23/2007, 11:28 AM

Yeah, that's me just whining that the characters were stupid, not that the writing was bad. :D

And I understand that she added in an epilogue for the kiddos, but it just seemed really out of place. Of course, I have problems with the way she portrayed developing relationships, and that plays a huge part in the epilogue.

silverwheels
7/23/2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that's me just whining that the characters were stupid, not that the writing was bad. :D

Oh. Well, they're teenagers, so what did you expect? :D

Vaevictis
7/23/2007, 12:15 PM

I don't think revenge was really the motivator; I think that he really wanted to do right by Lily in as much as he could, and when she died, Dumbledore successfully convinced him that the best he could do by her was to protect Harry. It didn't hurt that he was utterly disillusioned by Voldemort's killing Lily in spite of a favored servant begging him to spare her; his loyalty to Voldemort was broken by that.

I think the motivation was pure, but not because he had any notion that he should be doing the right thing; he was doing the right thing because it just happened to align with doing what he wanted to do.

Ike
7/23/2007, 12:57 PM
I actually came away thinking that Draco might be just as complex a character as Snape...perhaps more so. He had Ron, Harry and Hermione basically at his mercy at one point and chose to be uncertain. Yeah, its possible he could have been uncertain about Harry due to the fact that that Hermione messed up his face, but Ron and Hermione were untouched, and theres no way he didn't know who they were at first glance.

While I think that the way it ended, there is no room for any more sequels, I do think that at some point Rowling may re-visit the world and tell the tale from Draco's point of view. It could be interesting.

LosAngelesSooner
7/23/2007, 01:07 PM
I freaking loved it. Finished it yesterday around noon.

Can honestly say I was totally satisfied and had every question answered.

Also must admit, "Albus Severus..." squeezed out a tear.

LosAngelesSooner
7/23/2007, 01:08 PM
I definitely think Snape turned out to be the most complex character out of all the books.
I thought that until this book. After all the revelations about Dumbledore...he became almost as complex, IMHO, and a LOT more interesting as a character.

Vaevictis
7/23/2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah.

I expect that the most likely to be revisited character would be Dumbledore as a youngster.

I also think that would be the story with the most demand.

jrsooner
7/23/2007, 01:30 PM
The deaths were meaningless to me. The only death I really cared about was Dobby's, and that was because they made such a big deal about it. However, Rowling turned right around and made Griphook look terrible, thus undermining the whole "all magical creatures are equal" schtik. For ****'s sake, we don't even get to see Tonks and Lupin die, and they were major side characters. Lupin was a main character in one of the books! What the hell! "First wave of the battle's over... gee Lupin's dead. Tonks, too.
Isn't that just the point? I thought it was handled nicely, instead of a big show about it. The book was from his perspective, so therefore he couldn't be everywhere at once. It made more sense to me to have him be told of it than to witness each death.

NormanPride
7/23/2007, 02:08 PM
Isn't that just the point? I thought it was handled nicely, instead of a big show about it. The book was from his perspective, so therefore he couldn't be everywhere at once. It made more sense to me to have him be told of it than to witness each death.

Sure, it makes the story a bit more realistic in the fact that he didn't see the deaths, but why start there? There were so many contrived plot devices used to try and evoke emotion, why stop there? Why not have Voldemort cast a spell on him that caused him to watch all his friends die? Or have Harry be Voldemort watching the battle unfold and feeling happy watching his friends die? That would be an interesting twist. There are so many ways to make those important characters' deaths meaningful, and she used none of them. They were an afterthought.

Vaevictis
7/23/2007, 02:14 PM
It might be that she was trying to make a point about battles like that in general -- people die, instantly, randomly and without any greater meaning. Turn away from them for an instant, and by the time you turn back, they might be dead. Or some such message about the fleeting nature of life. Who the hell knows? :)

garland sooner
7/23/2007, 03:34 PM
Ok, i understand in the epilogue that each of the kid's name came from those who fell in battle but one of the kid's name is Hugo. Was there ever a character anywhere whose name was Hugo?

Maybe I read it wrong.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/23/2007, 04:30 PM

neither is this message board, yet people push refresh on pages 100's of times a day. lets not get into those people who create accounts on other message boards just to talk about those rare times when its down.

Frozen Sooner
7/23/2007, 11:06 PM
Ok, i understand in the epilogue that each of the kid's name came from those who fell in battle but one of the kid's name is Hugo. Was there ever a character anywhere whose name was Hugo?

Maybe I read it wrong.

I think that might have been an obscure Victor Hugo reference-naming a kid after Krum backhandedly. That's all I could think of. Maybe it's Hermione's dad's name?

frankensooner
7/24/2007, 09:40 AM
Well, I thought they just named their kids with their first initials, Rose for Ron and Hugo for Hermione.

Oldnslo
7/24/2007, 10:47 AM
Okay. I finished it last night and:

eh.

All in all... it's a childrens' book. It's always been a childrens' book, its just that adults got in on it, too.

So, the ending is cheesy. Yup. For kids. The battle scenes are pretty antiseptic. For kids. The evil Voldermort is undone. For kids.

FWIW, I was surprised at how V was suddenly stupid about so many things. But wasn't he supposed to be one of the most skilled wizards, evar? Sure, JKR spent an entire page or two explaining away how he didn't study what he didn't necessarily care about, but that came off, to me, as a little too convenient and a little too late in the story. How was he a skilled wizard with such blindness to so many things?

It's tough to end a series. Look at Steven King's Dark Tower. At least this ending was more satisfying than that one.

Ike
7/24/2007, 11:56 AM
not a spoiler, but a funny as hell video from the rednecks that were on the youtube debate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7bNISDMbo&mode=user&search=

Vaevictis
7/24/2007, 12:44 PM
FWIW, I was surprised at how V was suddenly stupid about so many things. But wasn't he supposed to be one of the most skilled wizards, evar? Sure, JKR spent an entire page or two explaining away how he didn't study what he didn't necessarily care about, but that came off, to me, as a little too convenient and a little too late in the story. How was he a skilled wizard with such blindness to so many things?

Nobody said he was particularly intelligent or wise, just skilled and powerful.

They don't necessarily all go together. In fact, it's a repeating theme in literature (and the real world, I think) that as you become more powerful, you have a tendency to become less wise :)

FaninAma
7/24/2007, 01:22 PM
Nobody said he was particularly intelligent or wise, just skilled and powerful.

They don't necessarily all go together. In fact, it's a repeating theme in literature (and the real world, I think) that as you become more powerful, you have a tendency to become less wise :)

Sort of like the Michael Vick of the wizarding world. :D

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 01:23 PM
Sort of like the Michael Vick of the wizarding world. :D
Get back to helping patients and quit this posting shenanigans

FaninAma
7/24/2007, 01:29 PM
Get back to helping patients and quit this posting shenanigans

Aye, captain. Actually I let myatients type most of my posts. And remember the average age of my patients is about 5. :O

dolemitesooner
7/24/2007, 01:30 PM
Aye, captain. Actually I let myatients type most of my posts. And remember the average age of my patients is about 5. :O
ROFL

soonerboy_odanorth
7/24/2007, 05:26 PM
Well, thanks to the Oklahoman in about two clicks I found a spoiler site, that apparently gleaned it's information from the stolen scanned copies. It'll be intersting to see if any of it is accurate. But after reading what I did it does feel like I already read the book. But I guess I really don't feel cheated if it turns out as stated. Getting there is the fun of it for me.

Follow up... Thankfully, the site I found was throwing poo against the wall to see what stuck. They pulled a couple of snippets out of their arses, but were on the whole off the mark.

I loved the book. I am now in serious Harry Potter withdrawal.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/24/2007, 05:33 PM
FWIW, I was surprised at how V was suddenly stupid about so many things.

He's dead. The taboo is no more. It's safe to say "Voldemort" now... ;)

soonerboy_odanorth
7/24/2007, 05:37 PM
I think that might have been an obscure Victor Hugo reference-naming a kid after Krum backhandedly. That's all I could think of. Maybe it's Hermione's dad's name?

I think frankensooner's right on that one. Just kids with first initials like their parents. But Teddy Lupin was snogging with Victoriye, who the one Weasly child noted was their cousin... So Victoriye would be Bill and Fleur's girl...Definitely named after Krum as Fleur was good friends with him.

I was surprised there wasn't a Fred or Frederica child. But I suppose that would be reserved for any child of George's.

And for my two cents, that death was quite traumatic. It was as if the laughter had been sucked out of the entire story. And when it comes to losing a child or sibling, there really can't be much that is more traumatic than one twin losing the other. I always figured one of the prominent Weasleys would not make it out... but I did always think it was going to be Ron in a sacrifice for either Hermione or Harry.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/24/2007, 06:08 PM
Also - did I miss something, or did Ron's injuries mean absolutely nothing? Nothing changed about his activity, and nobody ever said anything when they saw him. Did he get healed? Did I miss that? Or did Rowling just forget that he was missing an arm and some fingers?

I read it more that his injury was like part of his arm or shoulder had been scooped away, like as you would see from a close quarters shotgun blast (if you've ever seen pics of one of those injuries healed that's exactly what it looks like- that someone scooped away flesh and muscle with an ice cream scoop). Regardless, I believe it addressed him being healed once they all reconvened back to the Burrow.

Oh, and the Epilogue was uberlame. It read like bad fanfiction, and the fact that Snape got remembered as a name, but there was no mention of Sirius is just terrible.

I don't know if they mentioned young James's middle name did they? Bet it's Sirius...

As an aside, my only disappointment in the Epilogue was no mention of George.

GottaHavePride
7/24/2007, 06:54 PM
Follow up... Thankfully, the site I found was throwing poo against the wall to see what stuck. They pulled a couple of snippets out of their arses, but were on the whole off the mark.

I loved the book. I am now in serious Harry Potter withdrawal.

Dude. Re-read the books now that you know where it goes. There's a lot more stuff being hinted at in the earlier books that you won't have caught the first time around. Within the first 20 pages of Order of the Phoenix: the scene where Harry's explaining about dementors, and they ask Petunia how she knows about them? She says something about how she remembers "that horrible boy - telling her about them - years ago." Originally I assumed that was a reference to James Potter, but it wasn't - it was about Snape. One of those "oh, holy crap" moments when you read it again.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2007, 07:04 PM
I think frankensooner's right on that one. Just kids with first initials like their parents. But Teddy Lupin was snogging with Victoriye, who the one Weasly child noted was their cousin... So Victoriye would be Bill and Fleur's girl...Definitely named after Krum as Fleur was good friends with him.

Good catch on Victoriye. I was finishing the book at about 5:45am, so I didn't catch that Hugo and Hermione and Rose and Ron shared first initials. I agree, that's a much more likely explanation-the Victor Hugo one was all I could come up with at the time.

Frozen Sooner
7/24/2007, 07:06 PM
Dude. Re-read the books now that you know where it goes. There's a lot more stuff being hinted at in the earlier books that you won't have caught the first time around. Within the first 20 pages of Order of the Phoenix: the scene where Harry's explaining about dementors, and they ask Petunia how she knows about them? She says something about how she remembers "that horrible boy - telling her about them - years ago." Originally I assumed that was a reference to James Potter, but it wasn't - it was about Snape. One of those "oh, holy crap" moments when you read it again.

Some guy was complaining to me that Grindelwald just sort of came out of nowhere and you'd think such an important badass wizard would have been mentioned before. I told him to reread the chapter in the first book where Ron and Harry are eating Chocolate Frogs on the train. He came back to me an hour later and said "Wow, that's awesome. Chocolate Frog cards are the most useful things EVER."

GottaHavePride
7/24/2007, 07:19 PM
Hehehehe. Oh, and wasn't it Victoire? Which would just be a French feminine version of the name Victor.

Actually, I thought Krum would have figured more into Book 7, but he was kind of a throwaway character like Karkaroff. Basically, Krum was only there as someone for Ron o get jealous of.

Oldnslo
7/24/2007, 08:07 PM
I always figured one of the prominent Weasleys would not make it out... but I did always think it was going to be Ron in a sacrifice for either Hermione or Harry.
I, too, had voted Ron "Most Likely To Snuff It". I figured Ron would get tagged out as he killed the snake while Harry ixnayed V.

Voldermort, I mean. :)

TheLurker
7/24/2007, 08:18 PM
JKR says she'll be writing an encyclopedia of sorts regarding Harry Potter. I assume it will be written for charity like "magical creatures and where to find them" and "quidditch through the ages." http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/

GottaHavePride
7/24/2007, 11:37 PM
So that's why Snape throws Harry out of Occlumency lessons in Order of the Pa-hoe-nix. He's not mad that Harry saw something personal and embarrassing... he's worried that if Harry sees anything else and finds out he loved Lily Potter, Voldemort will be able to see it, too.

PG's a genius for noticing that.

proud gonzo
7/24/2007, 11:51 PM
indeed :D

Frozen Sooner
7/25/2007, 12:01 AM
So that's why Snape throws Harry out of Occlumency lessons in Order of the Pa-hoe-nix. He's not mad that Harry saw something personal and embarrassing... he's worried that if Harry sees anything else and finds out he loved Lily Potter, Voldemort will be able to see it, too.

PG's a genius for noticing that.

oooooooo.

Me likey.

GottaHavePride
7/25/2007, 12:10 AM
Dude, the chick playing Ginny Weasley looks eerily like the lady playing Lily Potter. Plus, she's nearly as hot as Emma Watson, in a jailbait sort of way.

proud gonzo
7/25/2007, 12:16 AM
As I discussed with Bri, there's english jailbait for both preferences. Hell, I bet even Pat could find him some english jailbait in that movie.

GottaHavePride
7/25/2007, 12:18 AM
As I discussed with Bri, there's english jailbait for both preferences. Hell, I bet even Pat could find him some english jailbait in that movie.

Moaning Myrtle?

silverwheels
7/25/2007, 12:25 AM
Moaning Myrtle?

Mmm...dead English jailbait.

This movie is going to kick ace if they do it right. I'm hoping for like a 5-hour R-rated director's cut.

garland sooner
7/25/2007, 08:58 AM
I have to hand it to JKR. The fact that we're analyzing books written for children on this forum is unheard of within literature.

That being said, I kept picturing during the fights, battle scenes from other movies: the battle of Helm's Deep in LOTR: The Two Towers, Braveheart, The Last Samurai, etc. So if they don't make these as kickass as those, i'll be upset.

FaninAma
7/25/2007, 10:27 AM
Delete. Wrong thread.

NormanPride
7/25/2007, 10:33 AM
Um... what?

soonerboy_odanorth
7/25/2007, 12:59 PM
I have to hand it to JKR. The fact that we're analyzing books written for children on this forum is unheard of within literature.

You know, from a literary standpoint, I have thought about this assessment, that they are books written for children, which has been expressed by many on this site and worldwide.

But I've come to the conclusion that the premise that these books are children's books or written for children is off the mark. I think if one were to assign an age category to the books it has to at least call them adolescent. If we merely consider that Harry's first year of Hogwarts would actually make him a 6th grader... well, I assure you my soon to be 12-year old is much closer to adolescence than childhood. The fact that kids much younger than 12 have picked up (perhaps before adults) the book and become engrossed with the story is more a tribute to Rowling's skill and the story's universal appeal, not to mention perhaps a general underestimation of children's reading skills and abilities to identify quality in storytelling.

I rather think that if this book is to be categorized, it moreso belongs in those works that we would generally refer to as "populist". Especially if one considers the "golden age" of English and American literature, that is the period from late 18th to late 19th century, the lists of "giants" is brimming with populist works very often done in serial format- Mark Twain, Dickens, Cooper, Stephenson among them. In particular, Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island are brought to mind in consideration of the protagonists' ages, their grapplings with their own adolescence and relationships, and the manners in which their worlds are invaded and they forced to cope with adult social themes (perhaps the depths of which are more pronounced than with Rowling's work) with respect to the coming of age tale of one Harry Potter.

By contrast if we compare Rowling's work to other 20th century adolescent books (none classical, mind you) like Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew, the greater degree of sophistication imbued in her work is evident by the mere mention of these serial works. Or, if we compare her work to the tales of Narnia, certainly considered no less than adolescent novellas, one could draw many comparisons in plotting and prose, especially in their treatment of youth dealing with death and tragedy of varying degrees.

One could say the Harry Potter story begins with childlike wonder, but that's where I feel the label of the story as a children's book ends. More appropriately it is a coming-of-age story for readers of all ages... 9 to 99.

My two cents... for what it's worth.

Oldnslo
7/25/2007, 01:45 PM
Oh, come on. That's much more than two cents worth.

Chuck Bao
7/25/2007, 03:26 PM
You know, from a literary standpoint, I have thought about this assessment, that they are books written for children, which has been expressed by many on this site and worldwide.

But I've come to the conclusion that the premise that these books are children's books or written for children is off the mark. I think if one were to assign an age category to the books it has to at least call them adolescent. If we merely consider that Harry's first year of Hogwarts would actually make him a 6th grader... well, I assure you my soon to be 12-year old is much closer to adolescence than childhood. The fact that kids much younger than 12 have picked up (perhaps before adults) the book and become engrossed with the story is more a tribute to Rowling's skill and the story's universal appeal, not to mention perhaps a general underestimation of children's reading skills and abilities to identify quality in storytelling.

I rather think that if this book is to be categorized, it moreso belongs in those works that we would generally refer to as "populist". Especially if one considers the "golden age" of English and American literature, that is the period from late 18th to late 19th century, the lists of "giants" is brimming with populist works very often done in serial format- Mark Twain, Dickens, Cooper, Stephenson among them. In particular, Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island are brought to mind in consideration of the protagonists' ages, their grapplings with their own adolescence and relationships, and the manners in which their worlds are invaded and they forced to cope with adult social themes (perhaps the depths of which are more pronounced than with Rowling's work) with respect to the coming of age tale of one Harry Potter.

By contrast if we compare Rowling's work to other 20th century adolescent books (none classical, mind you) like Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew, the greater degree of sophistication imbued in her work is evident by the mere mention of these serial works. Or, if we compare her work to the tales of Narnia, certainly considered no less than adolescent novellas, one could draw many comparisons in plotting and prose, especially in their treatment of youth dealing with death and tragedy of varying degrees.

One could say the Harry Potter story begins with childlike wonder, but that's where I feel the label of the story as a children's book ends. More appropriately it is a coming-of-age story for readers of all ages... 9 to 99.

My two cents... for what it's worth.

Spec for that! I know many people are planning to read it again to get greater insights into the plot and character development, me included.

Soonrboy
7/27/2007, 01:48 PM
OH MYGAWD! I had to put it down. The scene in the Malfoys basement, then Harry quizzing the goblin and Ollivander...too stressful...

Like Joey on Friends, who had to put Little Women in the freezer because it got too sad.

Norm In Norman
7/27/2007, 11:01 PM
All I know is that Norm's head is going to explode when he finds out that one of the names for the wand is the Deathstick.
DUDE! I knew JK was a fan of mine. I think it's funnier naming a living thing Deathstick, but she called a stick Deathstick and I laughed anyway,

Norm In Norman
7/27/2007, 11:30 PM
I liked this one - a lot. But I'm norm and I point out the negatives.

Did anyone else think that some parts of the book were written a little sloppy? I've never had to re-read paragraphs to understand them in any of the other books, but I did in this one. Also the last hundred pages or so were cool, but some of it seemed like she rushed through it to meet a deadline or something.

I sort of think the whole Harry + Ginny thing was weak. It should have happened, but Harry + Cho was a lot more complex. In the whole series, Ginny seemed like she just sort of go thrown in there with Harry so Harry wouldn't die alone.

There were actually some of the most boring parts in any of the books in this one. I can't give specifics, but they were there.

On the flip side, I like that almost all answers were answered, although I wish they weren't answered in just 2 chapters. That was a lot to digest at once. Overall I think I liked Neveille the best. He starts out as a sniveling loser and ends up as a hardened leader who kicks some serious ***. I cheered quietly when he killed the snake. I honestly was pretty surprised at the plot. I never guessed what was going to happen next - Aberforth being the eye, the way Albus got Deathstick, the weasley dying, that house elf ending up liking harry, dobby reappearing and dying - and much more. The only thing I figured would happen is that we'd see Dumbledore again, although I didn't know it would be in between life and death. And I totally didn't see Malfoy being Deathstick's owner. She led us on false paths too, like talking about the tiara that Fleur wore and then it not being the horicrux.

I think she could easily do a prequel with Harry's parents and Voldemort's rise to power or she could do 19 years later and focus on the kids or even go to when Dumbledore was a kid. I'd bet this isn't the last we've seen of this world.

Now I can't wait to re-read them.

GottaHavePride
7/27/2007, 11:46 PM
I can agree with that, although I think in the books Ginny is a lot more prominent a character than in the movies. She sets up Harry/Ginny very, very subtly in the background from Ginny's very first scene in Book 1, as opposed to Cho who just sort of appears suddenly in Book 4 with no setup at all.

Actually, she's setting up Ron/Hermione in their first scene in Book 1 as well. Think: how many people, when confronted with the famous Harry Potter, would stop to notice that Ron Weasley still had dirt on his nose? She was already paying attention to Ron.

crawfish
7/28/2007, 08:29 AM
I just finished it last night, and enjoyed it. One question though: How did Neville get the sword? I thought Griphook just took off with it and we never saw it again...

silverwheels
7/28/2007, 09:06 AM
I just finished it last night, and enjoyed it. One question though: How did Neville get the sword? I thought Griphook just took off with it and we never saw it again...

The same way Harry got it in Chamber of Secrets.

Soonrboy
7/28/2007, 10:20 AM
I was most disappointed in the Hermione character. Figured she sould have played a much bigger role instead of just doubting everyone and everything. How did ron get so smart?

I liked the ending and the epilogue. How all the kids were staring at Harry off the train and Ron said it was because he was a movie star.

soonerloyal
7/28/2007, 10:40 AM
Although there were parts of this book I would have done differently (like condensing the H/R/H Horcrux Quest), overall I was very, very pleased. I'm rereading a bit of it before I discuss any further so I don't annoy y'all.

Re: "Moaning Myrtle". You might be surprised to know that the actress Shirley Henderson is actually over 40 years old (born in 1965). No dead jailbait there.

JKR has said in interviews that Ron and Harry go on to totally restructure the Auror Department, and that Hermione is no doubt deeply into Magical Law Enforcement. Wish she'd just mentioned that in the Epilogue...

Frozen Sooner
7/28/2007, 11:41 AM

He pulled it out of the Sorting Hat-something only a true Gryffindor could do. :)

SoonerAtKU
7/28/2007, 01:59 PM
JKR has said in interviews that Ron and Harry go on to totally restructure the Auror Department...

Seems like a bad idea to me, being as the next time someone so much as disarms Harry, they become the new master of the Deathstick. I guess it's farfetched to think that anyone would put it all together and dig up Dumbledore's corpse again after that, but hey...magic.

Soonrboy
7/28/2007, 03:40 PM
does harry HAVE to use the deathstick, now..or can it be in his arsenal?

TheLurker
7/28/2007, 04:02 PM
Harry said he was going to put the Elder Wand back where it came from (Dumbledore's tomb)

He only used it to repair his original holly and phoenix feather wand.

soonerloyal
7/28/2007, 05:54 PM
Where does it talk about Ron's injuries? I'm thumbing through trying to find it. I can't believe I missed something like that. It's hell to be old.

GottaHavePride
7/28/2007, 07:30 PM
He splinched himself twice while they were Apparating from place to place.

And I don't think Ron just "got smart" - he's always been good at certain things. He's obviously very good at wizard chess - and not just good enough to beat people his age, good enough to outplay the defensive spells in Sorcerer's Stone. I think that shows that he's good at strategic thinking and such (you'd have to be with his brothers around), but some things like apparating and learning new spells he's just not as fast to pick stuff up as Harry and Hermione.

Vaevictis
7/28/2007, 07:49 PM
My take is that Ron was never stupid or incompetent, just... unambitious. He never took anything seriously, so he never put his mind to much of anything. Having your life, your best friend's life, your family's life, and your girl's life in danger can put that straight quick.

About the only thing that bothered me, really, was Hermione's rapid swings from the most competent individual in the group to a wussified little girl who couldn't think straight. It seemed completely out of character for her.

soonerloyal
7/28/2007, 08:55 PM
He splinched himself twice while they were Apparating from place to place.

I remember that now - thanks. He didn't get hurt anywhere else, did he?

GottaHavePride
7/29/2007, 01:07 AM
Don't think so.

Oh, I also agree that Ron performs best when it counts. I don't think he tries all that hard in class, but put a troll in front of him and he's spot-on.

And it took me until my third watching of Order of the Pah-Hoe-Nix to pick up that Fred and George were actively trying to keep Harry and Cho apart.

Chuck Bao
7/29/2007, 02:59 PM
This is a minor point, but it still really bothers me.

The whole issue of destroying the horcruxes by the Griffendor sword was brought up. Even the snake seemed to need to have its horcrux destroyed by the sword.

What's the difference between the snake and Harry Potter? Why didn't he need to be run throw by the sword?

While I was reading it, I kept thinking that he would need to run and jump on the sword. It would take a lot more bravery than the Obi Wan-type sacrifice in Star Wars.

Rip off, indeed.

GottaHavePride
7/29/2007, 03:30 PM
They were only using the sword because the sword was loaded with basilisk venom from when Harry killed the basilisk with the sword. Ravenclaw's diadem was destroyed by the demon-fire that got unleashed int he Room of Requirement. They said there were "very few" things powerful enough to destroy horcruxes. I'm betting avada kedavra is one of them, but Harry might not have been confident enough to attempt that curse.

TheLurker
7/29/2007, 04:11 PM
I think I've found a mistake that got past the editors.

on page 96 Hermione explains about modifying her parents memories.

on page 167 after being attacked by death eaters in the cafe, Hermione says she's never done a memory charm..but thinks she knows the theory.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/29/2007, 04:17 PM
She has never erased anyone's memory...she has modified a memory in her parents, she didn't obliviate their memories, she just implanted a false memory.

TheLurker
7/29/2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, but she specifically said they don't even remember having a daughter.

proud gonzo
7/29/2007, 04:35 PM
still, there's a difference between modifying someone's memory with something different and making their memory just go *poof*

TheLurker
7/29/2007, 04:47 PM
I don't mean to say that she used "obliviate" specifically.

After the attack, Harry suggests wiping their memories to Ron. Ron says "you're the boss, but I've never done a Memory Charm." then Hermione says "Nor have I, but I know the theory."

I think the memory modification she performed on her parents definitely qualifies as a memory charm. However, Memory Charm is capitalized in the book.......maybe when it's capitalized like a proper noun it refers specifically to the Obliviate spell.

Stitch Face
7/29/2007, 05:05 PM
I think the memory modification she performed on her parents definitely qualifies as a memory charm. However, Memory Charm is capitalized in the book.......maybe when it's capitalized like a proper noun it refers specifically to the Obliviate spell.

[Bill Clinton]Ah did not...do a Memory Charm...on that girl's family![/Bill Clinton]

Vaevictis
7/29/2007, 05:53 PM
They said there were "very few" things powerful enough to destroy horcruxes. I'm betting avada kedavra is one of them, but Harry might not have been confident enough to attempt that curse.

There's also a lot of stuff we don't know about horcruxes - it may be that a horcrux can be destroyed at will by its creator.

soonerloyal
7/29/2007, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
They said there were "very few" things powerful enough to destroy horcruxes. I'm betting avada kedavra is one of them, but Harry might not have been confident enough to attempt that curse.

Confident enough to? I think he would be. Willing to? I think not.

"Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, boy?" she yelled..."You need to mean them, Potter. You need to really want to cause pain - to enjoy it - righteous anger won't hurt me for long - I'll show you how it is done, shall I? I'll give you a lesson - "... - Bellatrix LeStrange, at the Ministry of Magic after Sirius dies, OotP

TheLurker
7/29/2007, 09:25 PM
He was both willing enough and confident enough to use both the Imperio curse and the Crucio curse in book 7.

TheLurker
7/30/2007, 08:15 PM
JKR answered the question about the Memory Charm in an online chat.

Laura Trego: Did hermione really put a memory charm on her parents she says she did but then about 50 pages later tells ron shes never done a memory charm

J.K. Rowling: They are two different charms. She has not wiped her parents’ memories (as she later does to Dolohov and Rowle); she has bewitched them to make them believe that they are different people.

She answered many more questions as well. Here's the link (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/7/30/j-k-rowling-web-chat-transcript)

soonerloyal
7/30/2007, 08:28 PM
Yes, but Harry did not use the Avada Kedavra Curse. Even on an object. He didn't even use it on Voldemort. It's one of much of what separates him from Voldemort's kind. He can be angry, and want to destroy that which is evil, but not use the tools of evil the way bad wizards choose to...

GottaHavePride
7/30/2007, 09:06 PM
Lurker, that link makes the geek in me very happy.

soonerboomer93
7/30/2007, 10:47 PM
whoo hooo, I got a UK edition while in Shanghai

(no, I haven't read it yet)

bri
8/6/2007, 02:31 AM
Just finished it. By and large, it was full of win and satisfaction. And, since I'm already confident that the middle third of the story that was nothing more than Apparating from one English KOA to the next, stopping only for episodes of Degrassi Junior High Tent will be greatly cut down for the movie removes my primary complaint about Deathly Hallows.

C&CDean
8/6/2007, 09:29 AM
I finished it Saturday night. I read a little bit each night this past week while on the road, and most of it sitting on airplanes. I read it very slowly and deliberately so as to not miss anything.

All I can say is "wow, the American judge gives it a solid 9.9."

The imagination of JKR is something. I really didn't know where this thing was headed, and still didn't until the end. She kept me hanging the whole way through.

While there were the few missing/dragging spots folks have already mentioned, I think the way she tied most everything up/together was phenomenal. I've read a lot of books/series in my time, and none have come close to the greatness that is HP. Nowhere close.

To the haters I say this: you obviously have been confunded by a very skilled wizard. You don't have a ****ing clue about the entertainment you are missing by blowing off the HP series. So, go ahead and spurt seminal fluid over Idol - since that is so very much more entertaining and worthy of your time......and serious lack of imagination and fun.

I doubt another series with this much impact and followership will be experienced again in our lifetimes. It's that good.

Mjcpr
8/6/2007, 09:37 AM
If you want, I can give you my son's XBox Live screen name and y'all could chat about it. Just keep it short though, he has to be in bed by 9:00.

Norm In Norman
8/6/2007, 09:37 AM
The Dean has spoken.

C&CDean
8/6/2007, 11:07 AM
If you want, I can give you my son's XBox Live screen name and y'all could chat about it. Just keep it short though, he has to be in bed by 9:00.

So, what you're saying is that your son is smart, insightful, and mature to a level that you could only wish to be? I'm cool with that.

Mjcpr
8/6/2007, 11:50 AM
So do you want it or don't you?

Frozen Sooner
8/6/2007, 11:51 AM
So, what you're saying is that your son is smart, insightful, and mature to a level that you could only wish to be? I'm cool with that.

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't mind his son chatting with an older man over the internet.

Mjcpr
8/6/2007, 11:56 AM
I think what he's saying is that he doesn't mind his son chatting with an older man over the internet.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/17/arts/17stan.jpg