PDA

View Full Version : 1957 SI WHY OKLAHOMA IS UNBEATABLE

stoopified
7/16/2007, 04:50 PM
This issue came out the week before OU-ND and is considered by many to be the harbinger of the SI cover jinx.I have been trying to find a copy for years and have finally suceeded.My copy arrived express mail this afternoon and takes its place along with an SI cover featuring Wilkinson from 1955.It is soo cool.

PLaw
7/16/2007, 05:14 PM
One of my most prized possessions is the game day program from the 1971 NU game. My first OU game to attend.

I understand your sentiment.

freshchris05
7/16/2007, 11:38 PM
speaking of sooner memorabilia

i had one of those old tear away #20 Billy Sims jerseys that i loved when i was a kid but one day when playing backyard football it tore away as expected... i cried... i didnt even really know much about billy sims really since i was born in the 80's...

Blues1
7/17/2007, 12:19 AM
I was 15 years old when that SI issue came out - I've owned 2 of those issues over the many long years - Where they are now..? - Atleast I can say I was a the last win of the 47 - (OU 39 - Mizzou 14) - IF I remember right..??
Yep you are Lucky to find one - They even had our famous opition play diagram in that issue...Keep Rockin'

SOONER STEAKER
7/17/2007, 10:12 AM
My prized possesion? 1984 & 1985 playbooks. 84' signed by Mack Brown and and 1985 signed by Barry Switzer. Along with all the summer letters from the coaches.

I also have a framed picture of Bud Wilkinson with the 4 teams pictures that were involved in the 47 game win streak. My father played on the 1953 team. Dad reived the framing at haftime of one of the games I believe 2 years ago. I also have dad's Big 7 and Orange Bowl trophies.

SteelClip49
7/17/2007, 11:34 AM
You all remember the Dr. Pepper commerative glass bottles of the 1974 and 1975 National Champion Oklahoma Sooners? It also has the Orange Bowl score over Michigan on the sides with an older OU logo on it. They were big glass bottles. I have 2 that were never open. You think they would have any significant monetary value?

soonerspudman
7/17/2007, 01:37 PM
Had an authentic Greg Pruitt #30 in Jr. High, no idea what happened to it but it was my pride and joy. Still have a ball autographed by the 1968 team, including Owens, Fairbanks, Switzer, Womack, Hinton, Zabel, etc...

stoopified
7/17/2007, 04:47 PM
I just finished reading the cover story.My favrite part:

First,let the record speak.Since 1947(through the week preceding ND 1957) Oklahoma has won97 games,lost only 7,and tied 3.It has won 60 conference games,lost none,and tied only 2.Ou has played in 5 bowl games winning four and losing 1.It has scored in 123 straight games,which is a national record,has won 47 games in a row,again a national record.It has won three national titles including 1955 and 1956,AND WILL MOST LIKELY WIN THE THIRD CONSECUTIVE TITLE THIS YEAR.If only that had happened,....sigh.
This latest addition to my SOONER collection is indeed prized.My other favorites include framed and matted set of pictures of OUr 4 Heisman winners ,framed Little Joe autographed picture,framed print of Switzer Center Mural and of course framed placque/picture of Roy Williams' Superman play.I also have an autograped football from the 2000 National Title Team.Oddly enough this was purchased cheaply from OU Authentic prior to the 2000 season starting.

Ok now I have turned this into a full-blown bragfest about my Sooner stuff.Did I mention my minature Memorial Stadiums?My jersey collection,which includes #'s 7,11,14,18,20,22,28.I never get jerseys with names on them because so many talented players have worn the various numbers.I also have a Sooner Book collection numbering around 20 books(not including media guides).Among the titles I have are Sooner (follows Tinker Owens and the Sooners through 1973 season)Oklahoma Kickoff(great book on early OU football),Sooner Century(IMHO best complete history of OU football up to'95),The Winning Edge(covers 1975 game by game including practice and strategy).
Bragging about Sooners and Sooner stuff can be addicting.

MyT Oklahoma
7/17/2007, 06:38 PM
This is all just so damn cool.

Yeah, it's a guy thing.

SOONER STEAKER
7/17/2007, 07:52 PM
I just found some "Good Luck Chuck" seat cushions in the garage. They were sponsoed by Kerr McGee.

Soonerfan88
7/17/2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, it's a guy thing.

Ummmm, no. It's a SOONER thing, sweetie. :)

A couple of my favorites are my 8 track recording of "Boomer Sooner" by the Pride and an autographed poster of Steve Davis.

Edit for the smilie, no offense meant.

soonerspudman
7/17/2007, 10:14 PM
I just found some "Good Luck Chuck" seat cushions in the garage. They were sponsoed by Kerr McGee.

That takes me back, I remember as a kid in Norman seeing homemade "Good Luck Chuck" signs hanging from dorm windows on game day. Lucky for him he had Barry to install the wishbone, as I recall Chuck was about to be run out of town before the infamous bone unveiling v. Tejas...

StoopTroup
7/17/2007, 11:42 PM
My attic is full.

I need a bigger hOUse.

Enough said.

RADsooner
7/18/2007, 06:43 PM
I have been trying to find a copy for years and have finally suceeded.

where did you get yours?, i found one through a google searchright off the bat- is yours mint or what?

RAD

Legendarybud
7/19/2007, 12:21 AM
Ummmm, no. It's a SOONER thing, sweetie. :)

A couple of my favorites are my 8 track recording of "Boomer Sooner" by the Pride and an autographed poster of Steve Davis.

Edit for the smilie, no offense meant.

You're right. It isn't just a "guy" thing but rather a "Sooner" thing. Two of my favorite possessions are first editions of the books "Presidents Can't Punt" by George Cross, OU president during the Wilkinson era and "An Autumn Remembered" which has been reprinted recently by the University Press and is an account of many of the players of the 1956 team. For those who love to read about OU's football history, these books are two of the best.

7/19/2007, 03:44 AM
I've got a bunch of stuff... autographed and not.

Looking at it all makes me remember the great games, the terrible years and so many Sooner moments.

I have an autographed, black and white 8x10 of Steve Davis; deep in the pocket and ready to throw. It sits on my desk in my [rival Big 12 opponent stadium] office.

My son's grand-Godfather is Mike Trepps.

It is a Sooner thing.

ALL of it is a Sooner thing.

God has blessed us, one and all.

Amen.

Sooner in Tampa
7/19/2007, 05:53 AM
Very Nice

http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/pictures/RIRSIcvs.jpg

AllAboutThe'O'
7/19/2007, 04:30 PM
You all remember the Dr. Pepper commerative glass bottles of the 1974 and 1975 National Champion Oklahoma Sooners? It also has the Orange Bowl score over Michigan on the sides with an older OU logo on it. They were big glass bottles. I have 2 that were never open. You think they would have any significant monetary value?

One of the high school baseball coaches in this area has a bunch of OU memorabilia in his office. In particular, one collectible is a 7UP bottle honoring the '74 champs. It also had the word "SOONERS" on it, but the middle letters in the word, "ONE," were bigger than the other letters.

opksooner
7/19/2007, 05:05 PM
You're right. It isn't just a "guy" thing but rather a "Sooner" thing. Two of my favorite possessions are first editions of the books "Presidents Can't Punt" by George Cross, OU president during the Wilkinson era and "An Autumn Remembered" which has been reprinted recently by the University Press and is an account of many of the players of the 1956 team. For those who love to read about OU's football history, these books are two of the best.
Legendarybud knows stuff....and people. Believe it!

SOONER STEAKER
7/29/2007, 12:41 PM
1953 OU/ND program along with the1954 Orange Bowl program where OU played Maryland.

RedStripe
7/30/2007, 10:27 AM