PDA

View Full Version : Writer's block

royalfan5
7/16/2007, 02:16 PM
I have one 10-15 page paper left to write before I can graduate. It is due at the end of this week. I have written about a page so far, but I seem to have some sort of writers block going. The paper is about economic models for ethanol plants, so it's not an unfamiliar topic to me, but I just can't seem to get going for some reason. Are there any good ways to beat writers block?

sooner_born_1960
7/16/2007, 02:18 PM
Just print the one page 15 times. It's not like anyone will read it.

Mongo
7/16/2007, 02:21 PM
How about an angle of "E85 ethanol will cure America's fat ***"?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/united_states/article2080599.ece

StoopTroup
7/16/2007, 02:21 PM
Go here....just click print. YWIA :D

http://www.ethanolacrossamerica.net/CFDC_EconImpact.pdf

Chuck Bao
7/16/2007, 02:22 PM
I write for a living, I guess. Anyway, my advice is to step away from the interweb a while. Get a bottle of whiskey, take a sip or two and sit for a while thinking about how much you will enjoy your chance to say something meaningful.

If you haven't started writing anything meaningful after the first bottle of whiskey is gone, then copy from someone else.

sooneron
7/16/2007, 02:23 PM
Chuck is lying, he knows full well that a good hooker is the only thing that will cure writer's block.

Vaevictis
7/16/2007, 02:24 PM
Are there any good ways to beat writers block?

The way I handle it is to just sit down and start writing. It doesn't matter how bad the crap I start spewing out is, the key is to just to put pen to paper, so to speak.

Eventually, I start rolling, and it's good to go from there.

Chuck Bao
7/16/2007, 02:40 PM
Chuck is lying, he knows full well that a good hooker is the only thing that will cure writer's block.

Sooneron knows and speaks the truth. Book the hooker for 9pm today. By 9pm, you'd better be finished with your little writing exercise.

Frozen Sooner
7/16/2007, 02:44 PM
I have one 10-15 page paper left to write before I can graduate. It is due at the end of this week. I have written about a page so far, but I seem to have some sort of writers block going. The paper is about economic models for ethanol plants, so it's not an unfamiliar topic to me, but I just can't seem to get going for some reason. Are there any good ways to beat writers block?

Just write "Based on the current carrying capacity of arable land, ethanol is not a viable replacement solution for petroleum. Any significant increase in carrying capacity is outside the purview of any reasonable model."

Then poop on the paper and hand it in.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/16/2007, 02:50 PM
Had the same problem when I wrote my Master's Thesis. 2 packages of oreo's later, I was done...:D

royalfan5
7/16/2007, 02:53 PM
Just write "Based on the current carrying capacity of arable land, ethanol is not a viable replacement solution for petroleum. Any significant increase in carrying capacity is outside the purview of any reasonable model."

Then poop on the paper and hand it in.
That's not quite what I am trying to accomplish with this paper. I am trying to outline a linear model that evaluates sites for a plant under current market and governmental invention conditions. Otherwise I would just write that.

Vaevictis
7/16/2007, 03:07 PM
Had the same problem when I wrote my Master's Thesis. 2 packages of oreo's later, I was done...:D

Man, that would be nice.

My committee absolutely destroyed me on defense. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
7/16/2007, 03:31 PM
Well when that sugar high kicked in, I was writing for like 24 hours straight. Cheaper than crack...;)

SoonerStormchaser
7/16/2007, 05:17 PM
"It was a dark and stormy night..."

Scott D
7/16/2007, 05:31 PM

And Zordoz, the leader of the clan of evil monkeys was hard at work hatching a plan for Southwest Airlines to prevent SoonerStormchaser from having what most humans would consider a 'normal' flight on his airline.

Chuck Bao
7/16/2007, 05:50 PM
For dramatic effect, you could have Romeo and Ethanol...

But, you may not want Romeo running himself through with a sword, just as Ethanol awakens again from her deep slumber.

<><
7/16/2007, 11:57 PM
Postmodern essay generator:
http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo

another one, a bit different:
http://radioworldwide.gospelcom.net/essaygenerator/

when all else fails, drop some lorem ipsum on 'em:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

VeeJay
7/17/2007, 01:16 AM
Hemingway was known to fish, drink, then write, in that order. By 4 PM he was sunburned, wasted, and cranking out tales of San Fermin.

The great Southern writers were all known to hit the sauce - Faulkner, Percy, Willie Morris are the ones that come to mind.

But they never wrote about ethanol plants.

Never mind.

royalfan5
7/17/2007, 03:26 PM
I was rolling along today, until they convened a faculty meeting outside my door. Apparently being an Ag Econ professor means that you lack an indoor voice.

picasso
7/17/2007, 03:29 PM
a start would be to get off the internet.

picasso
7/17/2007, 03:31 PM
I write for a living, I guess. Anyway, my advice is to step away from the interweb a while. Get a bottle of whiskey, take a sip or two and sit for a while thinking about how much you will enjoy your chance to say something meaningful.

If you haven't started writing anything meaningful after the first bottle of whiskey is gone, then copy from someone else.
that's kinda how it works with painting too. only you need music, beer and grappa.

RacerX
7/17/2007, 04:02 PM

"A shot rang out"

soonerhubs
7/17/2007, 04:16 PM
I'd suggest making an outline or two. Just write as many main points as you can make, then go from there. You can always cut the fat if you find it to be too wordy.

royalfan5
7/17/2007, 04:24 PM
I think I am through the hard part, and that the rest of the paper should be a downhill slide.

royalfan5
7/18/2007, 05:44 PM
It's all done now except the final editing for grammar and a quick build of a solver program. It feels good.

GottaHavePride
7/18/2007, 07:11 PM
An essay on economic models for ethanol plantsThink back to the first time you ever heard of economic models for ethanol plants. Many an afternoon has been enjoyed by a family, bonding over the discussion of economic models for ethanol plants. While it is becoming a hot topic for debate, its influence on western cinema has not been given proper recognition. Inevitably feelings run deep amongst the easily lead, many of whom fail to comprehend the full scope of economic models for ethanol plants. Complex though it is I shall now attempt to provide an exaustive report on economic models for ethanol plants and its numerous 'industries'.
Social Factors
While some scholars have claimed that there is no such thing as society, this is rubbish. When Thucictholous said 'people only know one thing' [1] he, contrary to my learned colleague Sir George Allen�s recent publication �Into the eye of , could not have been referring to eighteenth century beliefs regarding society. While the western world use a knife and fork, the Chinese use chopsticks. Of course economic models for ethanol plants is quite good.
Our post-literate society, more than ever before, relies upon economic models for ethanol plants. Clearly it promotes higher individualism and obeyence of instinct. As soon as a child meets economic models for ethanol plants they are changed.
Economic Factors
Economics has been defined as 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.' To my learned ear that sounds like two people with itchy backs. We will study the JTB-Guide-Dog model, as is standard in this case. Oil
Prices http://radioworldwide.gospelcom.net/essaygenerator/images/graph_down_2.gif

economic models for ethanol plants
Clearly the graphs demonstrates a strong correlation. Why is this? It goes with out saying that oil prices sings a very different tune. The economic policy spectrum is seeing a period of unprecedented growth.
Political Factors
Much of the writings of historians display the conquests of the most powerful nations over less powerful ones. Comparing international relations since the end of the century can be like observing pre and post war views of economic models for ethanol plants.
Let us consider the words of that silver tongued orator, award winning journalist Maximilian Tuigamala 'You can lead a horse to water, big deal.' [2] He was first introduced to economic models for ethanol plants by his mother. To paraphrase, the quote is saying 'economic models for ethanol plants wins votes.' Simple as that.
Since the Renaissance economic models for ethanol plants has become more and more prevalent. May it continue.Conclusion
To conclude economic models for ethanol plants has played a large part in the development of man in the 20th Century and its influence remains strong. It questions, brought up a generation and most importantly it perseveres.
I'll leave you with this quote from Courteney Hendrix: 'I love economic models for ethanol plants? Yes! Hurray for economic models for ethanol plants!' [3]
[1] Thucictholous - Man - Published 42 AD
[2] Tuigamala - Captain Sir - 1844 Inevitable Publishing
[3] My economic models for ethanol plants! - Issue 4 - BFG Publishing

Ike
7/18/2007, 11:07 PM
I had writers block pretty bad when I started writing my dissertation. My wife ended up breaking it for me by saying "Write something you jackass. Maybe if you do, you'll actually graduate and make some damn money for a change".

3 weeks later, I was done.

royalfan5
7/19/2007, 01:55 PM
Are some more reworking today, it is submitted, and I can say I am done. Except for a couple more small hoops.

royalfan5
7/20/2007, 08:28 AM
Got the grade back this morning. It's an A, and an offer to recommend me for a PHD program if I so choose. I'm pretty proud of myself on this one.

VeeJay
7/20/2007, 12:29 PM
Congrats on that!

Good jorb.

I know the sound advice of the many experienced professionals here was what pulled you through. :rolleyes:

Chuck Bao
7/20/2007, 12:40 PM
That whole alcohol writer's block angle was good, right? I mean it beats the hell out of ethanol.

Are you going to do the PhD thing? If you do, are you going to change your usernic to Dr. Royalfan?

Oh, congrats on the good grade and reference!

royalfan5
7/20/2007, 01:02 PM
That whole alcohol writer's block angle was good, right? I mean it beats the hell out of ethanol.

Are you going to do the PhD thing? If you do, are you going to change your usernic to Dr. Royalfan?

Oh, congrats on the good grade and reference!
I doubt I will do a PHD in the near future. At some point I may work on an M.DIV if the right opportunity presents itself.