PDA

View Full Version : Question about website for a professional group?

Rogue
7/15/2007, 12:08 PM
So I'm an officer in a professional group of folks who aren't necessarily tech-savvy. We still collect dues via checks in the mail.

Our webmaster says that getting the ability to allow folks to pay by credit/debit on the website is beyond her capability. We talked about getting a paypal account. The group leaned towards the account+routing number version I think because it's cheaper. We aren't a rich group, but I bet we could afford to make it where we can pay dues with credit cards. Etiher way I'm pretty sure it's time to modernize somehow.

Basically it takes a load of time to manually track when members' dues are due, mail or email them a reminder, and follow up. If we could build this into our website it would make it more convenient for our treasurer for sure, but for the members also.

It seems like a simple-enough proposition, but maybe I'm naive.

So, I have some questions for the folks that know these things. If you'll indulge me...

1) What would you do?

2) What are the relative costs of setting up visa/amex/mc capability on our website? Do we need a special type of bank account?

3) If we hire a webmaster type to do this and they croak next year, will be just be up the proverbial creek?

StoopTroup
7/15/2007, 01:20 PM
Maybe this could help...

Quickbooks (http://quickbooks.intuit.com/product/add-ons/merchant-services.jhtml)

Rogue
7/15/2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks! That should get me started.