PDA

View Full Version : book report

jk the sooner fan
7/15/2007, 11:42 AM
just finished "lone survivor" by marcus luttrell.....this is his account of a SEAL mission to afghanistan where he was the lone survivor of a mission gone wrong

you have to wade thru the guy being seriously full of himself because he's a SEAL - having just a bit of military experience, i realize he's earned the right to be that arrogant but at the same time, just a little bit of humility goes along way

but, if you're a liberal, you wont like the book......the mission was compromised when 3 goat herders happened upon them.....the decision was to either kill them or let them go....they knew that letting them go would spell disaster as they'd alert the taliban - which is what happened......the reason they let them go was fear of being tried in the press for killing a "non-combatant"

one thing he said that i totally agreed with is that sometimes in war, innocent people die...things happen, and if you arent prepared to deal with that and broker that, then dont go in.....because there are times when its necessary

i give the book a "B minus"

NYSooner1355
7/15/2007, 07:12 PM
just finished "lone survivor" by marcus luttrell.....this is his account of a SEAL mission to afghanistan where he was the lone survivor of a mission gone wrong

you have to wade thru the guy being seriously full of himself because he's a SEAL - having just a bit of military experience, i realize he's earned the right to be that arrogant but at the same time, just a little bit of humility goes along way

but, if you're a liberal, you wont like the book......the mission was compromised when 3 goat herders happened upon them.....the decision was to either kill them or let them go....they knew that letting them go would spell disaster as they'd alert the taliban - which is what happened......the reason they let them go was fear of being tried in the press for killing a "non-combatant"

one thing he said that i totally agreed with is that sometimes in war, innocent people die...things happen, and if you arent prepared to deal with that and broker that, then dont go in.....because there are times when its necessary

i give the book a "B minus"

While I was back in NY a couple weeks ago this was on the cover of Newsday...the father of Lt. Murphy (they are from Long Island) was ripping this guy for his account of the story. Apparently (and mind you I'm just going by the article) the author is claiming that Murphy was willing to do kill the goat herders but the father is adamant that his son would not have been willing to kill the goat herders and in fact that Luttrell told him that Lt. Murphy was against killing them...then Luttrell claimed he only told him that because that was what they (Murphy's parents) probably wanted to hear.

Vaevictis
7/15/2007, 07:46 PM

Heh, what's liberal got to do with it?

Sooner24
7/15/2007, 07:56 PM

They would have tried to get the goat herders signed up for food stamps and any other freebie program they could. :D

jk the sooner fan
7/15/2007, 08:12 PM

he bashes liberals thruout the book, its an extremely pro-military book

as for LT Murphy's father - i dont know how exaggerated the account of the story is....when you read it, you get the sense that there is a bit of it going on.....but they all wanted to kill the goat herders, at least by Luttrell's account, but Luttrell takes credit for being the vote that spares their lives

Vaevictis
7/15/2007, 08:32 PM
he bashes liberals thruout the book, its an extremely pro-military book

Ah, I didn't quite catch that from what you had said.

colleyvillesooner
7/15/2007, 10:30 PM
****ing goat herders...