PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Season question

SteelClip49
7/15/2007, 09:44 AM
Did the 86 Sugar take place before or after the 86 Orange?

Also, was Penn State really that good in 1985 considering they went undefeated in 1986 and won the national title over Miami?

OU wasn't able to beat Miami but Penn State did and OU took care of PSU.

soonernation
7/15/2007, 10:11 AM
Did the 86 Sugar take place before or after the 86 Orange? Before

Also, was Penn State really that good in 1985 considering they went undefeated in 1986 and won the national title over Miami? Yes

OU wasn't able to beat Miami but Penn State did and OU took care of PSU.

MyT Oklahoma
7/15/2007, 12:41 PM
The Sugar Bowl game started before the Orange Bowl game and the Sugar Bowl score (Tennessee 35, Miami 7) was announced before the end of the Orange Bowl game.

As for how good Penn State was in 1985, who really knows? But then it doesn't matter because OU finished Number 1 baby.

XingTheRubicon
7/15/2007, 08:25 PM
PSU was undefeated and No. 1 going into the OB.

Miami was No. 2 and OU was No. 3. It was understood, though that the voters had been polled and the PSU/OU winner would be voted NC. That's why Jimmah spent an entire month bitching and moaning that Miami was SOL. Miami losing was just the icing on the cake.

The Sugar Bowl was on ABC about 30 minutes before the OB on NBC.

XingTheRubicon
7/15/2007, 08:25 PM
Gawd, I still hate Miami.

zeke
7/15/2007, 09:46 PM
Joe Pa lost his temper about something during that game. It was great.

Mac94
7/16/2007, 08:34 AM
The Sugar Bowl was being played while the OB game was going on. It started earlier, though, so it ended early in the 4th quarter of the OU-Penn St. game.

I remember being at an Orange Bowl party with the OU game on the big screen with a small TV set up to follow the Tennessee-Miami game.

Penn State was a great defensive team that year. Here was their season:

9/7 @ Maryland (9-3) W 20 18
9/14 vs. Temple (4-7) W 27 25
9/21 vs. East Carolina (2-9) W 17 10
9/28 vs. Rutgers (2-8-1) W 17 10 @ East Rutherford, NJ
10/12 vs. Alabama (9-2-1) W 19 17
10/19 @ Syracuse (7-5) W 24 20
10/26 vs. West Virginia (7-3-1) W 27 0
11/2 vs. Boston College (4-8) W 16 12
11/9 vs. Cincinnati (5-6) W 31 10 @ Cincinnati, OH
11/16 vs. Notre Dame (5-6) W 36 6
11/23 @ Pittsburgh (5-5-1) W 31 0
1/1 vs. Oklahoma (11-1) L 10 25 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

Mac94
7/16/2007, 08:35 AM
Joe Pa lost his temper about something during that game. It was great.

Well, he was getting his backside kicked by Barry Switzer ... that may have been enough right there.

Wasn't it Joe Pa that said he couldn't retire and leave college football in the hands of Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill? Something like that?

XingTheRubicon
7/16/2007, 08:54 AM
Well, he was getting his backside kicked by Barry Switzer ... that may have been enough right there.

Wasn't it Joe Pa that said he couldn't retire and leave college football in the hands of Barry Switzer and Jackie Sherrill? Something like that?

Yeah, he said that, but he halfway recanted that in the forward of Switzers' Bootlegger's Boy. (I think)

OKLA21FAN
7/16/2007, 09:31 AM
I was at the OB that week, and one of the other hot topics amongst the PSU fans was the Boz. According to them, the Boz 'would never start at Linebacker for PSU' (aka linebackerU, they called themselves). we heard this all week long so it was about halftime and this PSU fan comes up to me and says 'the boz couldn't play LB for PSU...yadda yadda yadda'

and i smiled and 'agreed' with him and said. 'you are probably right, as after seeing the PSU offense this half, the Boz would be starting at Runningback for papa Joe!'

needed to say , the PSU fan was not happy.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/16/2007, 09:39 AM
yay BCS

picasso
7/17/2007, 12:48 PM
Penn State was tough in '85. They took the opening drive and made it look easy (an OU tradition) on us and then we put the clamps on 'em.

We were better, regardless of what the announcers during the game would have you believe.

GrapevineSooner
7/17/2007, 01:12 PM
We were better, regardless of what the announcers during the game would have you believe.

4 field goals and 2 TD's that night say we certainly won the battle of field position and dominated the second half.

And considering it was Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy calling the game, I'm not surprised.

Schoonerbeer
7/17/2007, 01:40 PM
Wasn't that the game where to great announcers, Trickey and Trumpy kept saying the wishbone is not working Sooners, better go to another offence. Then Lydell Carr busts the fullback up the middle for about 50 yards and a TD. Smart guys, they really understood the wishbone!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

HTown77095
7/17/2007, 02:24 PM
Wasn't that the game where to great announcers, Trickey and Trumpy kept saying the wishbone is not working Sooners, better go to another offence. Then Lydell Carr busts the fullback up the middle for about 50 yards and a TD. Smart guys, they really understood the wishbone!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I've got that game on DVD, and that is my favorite play of the game. Sooner magic at its best!

GrapevineSooner
7/17/2007, 02:33 PM

It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time
It's Tricky...(How is it?) Tricky (Tricky) Tricky (Tricky)
It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time
It's Tricky...Tr-tr-tr-tr-tr-tricky (Tr-Tr-Tr-Tricky) Tr-tr-tr...

Prodigal
7/18/2007, 11:42 PM
Turnovers and a couple of other big plays determined that outcome.

I sat near a Miami fan who mouthed off a few times early in the game and then left when Miami got drubbed. That fan has stuck in my mind ever since whenever I think about Miami fans. Not that we don't have more than our share also.

Mac94
7/19/2007, 09:12 AM
One thing about the NBC crew ... they were biased against OU. YOu could kinda tell from their game calling, but if you heard the stuff they'd say during commerical. Back in that day, the guy that hosted the Orange Bowl party had one of those big clunky satelite dishes in his back yard ... and he hooked onto the unedited signal. You got the full game as shown on NBC ... but no commercials and you could hear the NBC guys talking while the station was at break. They would constantly rip OU during the breaks.