PDA

View Full Version : BIG 12 team "weaknesses"

goingoneight
7/15/2007, 03:27 AM
Sometimes you breeze through your schedule, and it seems your team can accomplish anything... see: us in 2004, tOSU 2006 for recent examples. I discussed this today with the future bro-in-law; what is the ONE THING (or things) that will bring down the teams worthy of mention, based on recent results?

We'll start with OUrselves to be fair...

OKLAHOMA
It has to be said... by season's end, three years in-a-row-- OUr defense can look big, bad and great, but has a problem finishing the job. Some believe it's just a matter of execution, some call for assistant coaches' heads or personnel changes. What's truth is that if OU was playing USC for the National Title back in 2003, holding onto a 14-point lead with three minutes to go, everyone could safely assume the game was iced. Nowadays we're letting freshmen quarterbacks QB-sneak for eight yards and mid majors pull off hook-and-laterals for not only 4th and 19 conversion, but for the game saving score as well. If OU's quarterback leads his team well this season, we'll forever be on the edge of OUr seat wondering which defense will show up. The one that stole five turnovers and owned national power, Nebraska... or the one that went into OT with Baylor.

Hook 'em
It's difficult to pinpoint a trendy weakness for Mack Brown and Texass. They just kinda show up in different areas. Sometimes, Greg Davis crawls into a hole. Sometimes, your once-a-generation talent QB (VY) can't hold onto a ball to save his life. Sometimes, a quarterback who rarely completes a pass can light up your "All-American" secondary. This year, I honestly think that the Texas depth chart is one of the youngest overall, but finest stacked in the nation. All positions but one. The sole position that wrecked your team last year when its designated starter was out, quarterback.
Do I think Texas loses to Baylor or Iowa State if Chiles has to step in for McCoy? Not really... do I think they struggle against Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tx Tech, on the road at both aggy pits? I wouldn't bet a dime on Texas beating any of those teams without McCoy unless he went down at a comfortable score margin for :mack:. Would they win? Possibly/Probably... are you really gonna bet the farm on it, though?

aTm
This one's easy... Fran is not a big-game coach. Has no history of being so, and no signs shown yet that he ever will be. To think that there is more fan support and $$$ going into that guy's program than OUrs is just sickening. His offense is predictable, his defense only plays decent games againt "rivals," and he's like having Al Bundy on the sidelines-- comical at times, always the victim, mostly boring. If ever you want to swing the momentum, try an onside-kick... a fake punt... hell, even a play-action pass has been known to kick the FRANchise right where it hurts. Guys like Mike Leach and Bob Stoops are like kids with magnifying-glasses when it comes to torturing aggy with surprise "GOTCHAs!!!" They play a mean home game, but most approach them with the attitude "how do we win this time?" rather than "how do we stack up?"

TEXAS TECH
As long as Leach is there, I consider them dangerous. This guy has a nack for throwing the ball damn-near every down, and still racking up impressive stats. His defense = cluster****. It's great to have standout WRs playing in the secondary, but I don't think skinny "converted" linebackers really pose any threat outside of the tacky gloves they wear for INTs. Maybe one of the gazillion quarterbacks or wideouts on the roster forgot they were out on defense... I dunno. A red-hot offense like TT brings to the table versus a Fiesta Bowl OU defensive effort is a recipe for disaster. Their weakness, however, is division 1 athletes capable of running simple corner-routes all the way in the zone to tie it up or regain the lead. Shoot-out football, 'nuff said.

NEBRASKA
Calahan tries WAY too hard to "out-coach" his opponents. Such examples include the opening KO return of the BIG 12 CCG, brilliant reverse call put them inside their own five instead of somewhere across the 20, or the run of failed trick plays againt Auburn. Usually coaches who approach Calahan's team approach it calmly and alert for his signature bonehead call that sticks out like a sore thumb every game.

OKLAHOMA STATE
The kind way to say it is... 6 minutes shy of ten wins or more. The truth is saying they choked. Mike Gundy really hasn't established any trends other than packing it up too soon. We're all guilty of that from time-to-time, but coughing up 5 losses in the final moments? Defense is another cluster****, but such tis OSU football. Has anyone ever said "gawd I wish we had Barry Sanders/Thurman Thomas/Bobby Reid?" Of course it has been said. Has anyone ever thought to themselves "man, if our defense was as good as OSU's is, we'd be something special!" with a serious look on their face? I know, I know... new DC, give 'em a chance... whatever. Much like last year, I'm not counting any OSU opponent out of a game who is only down 21 in the 4th. Shoot-out football, orange-aggy style.

Anyone agree or disagree? Care to mention any others you might see that I don't or just didn't mention? :pop:

Rogue
7/15/2007, 03:49 AM
Good topic.

OU: Mobile QBs have been a problem for our defense for 8 years now.

Texas: C'mon this is low-hanging fruit. Mack! Unless he has a QB that can overcome his coaching a'la VY, Major, or Colt. Their 3rd team special teams right side gunner is sorta slow and goofy-looking. So I like our chances in Dallas this year.

Tech: You nailed it. Also, they play in Lubbock, so morale is low. :D

Nebraska: Still lacking identity. Whattya mean we're not a smash-mouth run it down your throat or run the I-option team anymore?

oSu: Here's a team that would be better off if Les Miles were their coach. Need I say more?

Kansas State: Welcome back to mediocrity. It's like you never left.

aTm: I don't know. Despite Fran this team worries me every year. They always manage to lose a few every year. And they also manage to jump up and slap the snot outta the biggest meanest guy in the room the very next week. You really can't have a rivalry with half the NCAA though. I mean you are Texas A&M, not a team that anybody thinks about the 51 weeks a year that they aren't playing your team.

PrideTrombone
7/15/2007, 08:30 AM
Baylor: Football.

Dr. Jelly Finger
7/15/2007, 12:15 PM
OU: Like many on this board, I am entering this season with high but guarded expectations. I have learned over the past several years that everyone is unbeatable in the pre-season. If we take care of the ball on offense and force a few turnovers on D, I think we have a great year and possibly another Big XII trophy. Penalties and turnovers, just like in Pop Warner, will kill you in D-1 football.

Texas: Sleeper this year. Mack seems down on his talent / experience and they have several key players to replace. Seems like a Lou Holtz ploy to me. Charles is a good back, but who else has game experience at RB? Lokey? They will contend again this year, but may have to lean on the passing game a bit too much to run the table.

aTm: Fran....... As previously mentioned, they can lose to Baylor at home one week and then go to West Virginia and blow them out the next. Plenty of talent to go around, but it is talent that is completely misdirected. How about the play calling against us last year when they had us on the ropes at 1st and goal with a 754 lb. tailback? 1 run and 3 play action passes if I remember correctly..........

TT: Can score at any time. You have to have defense to win championships though. Ironically enough, the sand aggies and the sheep aggies have quite a bit in common. Both with incredible offenses, but cannot stop anyone. Until they can, I am not worried about either. Weren't they up 35-7 on the Whorns last year and managed to produce an L?

Huskers: I absolutely despise Callahan. They lose some huge talent on D with Carricker and Moore gone this year. If they can stop the run, they should win the North, which isn't really saying much.

Pokes: These guys always scare me. The season opener at GA will determine which direction their season goes. When was the last time they had a decent non-conference opponent? Again, defense will determine whether they are successful or not. This Sooner says not. Another 6 and 5 or 7 and 4 year for the Pokes with multiple discussions in November about what might have been and how good the basketball team will be.

OSUAggie
7/15/2007, 01:36 PM
To be a bit more in depth on OSU's defensive issues, the main source of concern is up front. The linebackers and secondary should be pretty solid (relatively speaking), but the defensive line (especially the tackles) really need to have a player or two step up. If the tackles aren't able to occupy blockers enough to let the linebackers make some plays, teams will run all over the Pokes.

Luckily, the Big XII has become more of a passing conference, but Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Nebraska will probably rush for 200+.. maybe more.

Beckman will try to offset his deficiencies up front with a variation of looks and attempt to use a lot of speed on the edges to make plays in the backfield.

As bad as the OSU defense was last year, the front 4 was actually pretty good (8th in the country in tackles for loss, and 12th in sacks). The 5 freshmen (3 of which were true FR) playing behind them were the issue.

goingoneight
7/15/2007, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about Mizzou? They were okay last year, but my $.02 was that their wins came againt weak opponents, therefore prematurely ranking them against the likes of OU and aTm... aggy, who was also a product of their schedule.

snp
7/15/2007, 04:22 PM
Tech is not a threat to Oklahoma at all. Their offense struggles to score in the 20s since Leach took over and they will never have a decent defense as long as Leach recruits like he does. Stoops and Venerables know Leach's offense, as they should since it doesn't change. They have the knowledge and the athletes that are necessary to stopping Tech.

And we gotta stop blaming the defense for the Fiesta Bowl. Boise State was a good team. 14 of those points are on Paul Thompson. I love the guy, but he made 2 crucial mistakes that directly lead to them scoring. The hook and ladder play is a 1 outta 100 chance to be successful, which is why it was such a big deal when it finally worked. We got unlucky and didn't play well enough to offset the unfortunate play.

goingoneight
7/16/2007, 12:32 AM
Tech is not a threat to Oklahoma at all. Their offense struggles to score in the 20s since Leach took over and they will never have a decent defense as long as Leach recruits like he does. Stoops and Venerables know Leach's offense, as they should since it doesn't change. They have the knowledge and the athletes that are necessary to stopping Tech.

And we gotta stop blaming the defense for the Fiesta Bowl. Boise State was a good team. 14 of those points are on Paul Thompson. I love the guy, but he made 2 crucial mistakes that directly lead to them scoring. The hook and ladder play is a 1 outta 100 chance to be successful, which is why it was such a big deal when it finally worked. We got unlucky and didn't play well enough to offset the unfortunate play.

I don't think anyone disagrees that BSU fielded a great team. It's extremely difficult to run the plays they ran with NO defense on the field. They ran them not well, not good, but to PERFECTION to take advantage of OUr weakness. The choke factor has been consistent for three years now. I hope it thins out; believe me, I'm calling for no heads. To say that Marcus Walker didn't totally bite on a simple play-action and gave up a deep TD pass would be lying. To say that everyone and their brothers can't slip OU's tackles is lying, too. PT is not responsible for the tipped ball that was intercepted, and the WR (Iglesias) who ran the wrong route, either. You could tell it was a bad route when the WR was kicking himself after the pick. He cut the wrong direction, it happens. PT WAS responsible for the INT in the endzone that was too short and thrown across his body. He was also responsible for fumbling deep in OUr territory, too. We played really sloppy and OUr DC wasted two timeouts. But we still made one of the more memorable comebacks in the game's history, too. Give credit to PT, we get blown out if he didn't absolutely rock out in the 4th.

What sticks out as a weakness in the FB is the same thing that sticks out in at least 5 games a year since the start of the 2004 season, OUr D can't seem to close teams out consistently. Here's hoping that finally changes... Lord knows we have the "talent" to attempt so yet again.

snp
7/16/2007, 01:55 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees that BSU fielded a great team. It's extremely difficult to run the plays they ran with NO defense on the field. They ran them not well, not good, but to PERFECTION to take advantage of OUr weakness.

I bolded it for emphasis. Enough credit isn't given to them by some fans, mostly my dumb frat friends.

The choke factor has been consistent for three years now. I hope it thins out; believe me, I'm calling for no heads. To say that Marcus Walker didn't totally bite on a simple play-action and gave up a deep TD pass would be lying. To say that everyone and their brothers can't slip OU's tackles is lying, too.

That play was actually Reggie's fault. He bit on the play action and couldn't get over the top. Another fun fact, the guy that caught the TD in overtime was Reggie's responsibility too. Latimer just made a really smart move by sticking with him when he saw him running his route.

As for the indictment on ou's tackling ability, it was still good enough to beat teams like Nebraska, Missouri, Tech, oklahoma State and very good vs Texas. Finished 16th in total defense and 19th in scoring. Just a few bad tackles skew their overall performance.

PT is not responsible for the tipped ball that was intercepted, and the WR (Iglesias) who ran the wrong route, either. You could tell it was a bad route when the WR was kicking himself after the pick. He cut the wrong direction, it happens. PT WAS responsible for the INT in the endzone that was too short and thrown across his body. He was also responsible for fumbling deep in OUr territory, too. We played really sloppy and OUr DC wasted two timeouts. But we still made one of the more memorable comebacks in the game's history, too. Give credit to PT, we get blown out if he didn't absolutely rock out in the 4th.

I still would've preferred he hang onto the ball if someone jumps in his throwing lane, but I'm ignorant to what they teach QBs in that regard so I very well could be wrong. It was a bad break either way so I was a little hasty in placing total blame on him. I didn't know about Iggy's antics after that catch so looks like I was wrong on that one.

But don't get me wrong, I loved me some ENA. I was jumping up and down and freezing my *** off during "The Drive" and he made some great throws in the end.

What sticks out as a weakness in the FB is the same thing that sticks out in at least 5 games a year since the start of the 2004 season, OUr D can't seem to close teams out consistently. Here's hoping that finally changes... Lord knows we have the "talent" to attempt so yet again.

2005 Tech, Oregon, and BSU are the obvious answers. But 2006 osu and 2005 A&M the other games you're talking about?

goingoneight
7/16/2007, 02:05 AM
I'm with ya up to the last line... not gonna attack you, just wondering exactly what you're asking...

snp
7/16/2007, 02:08 AM
What are the other teams that the defense failed to close out on?

edit: Yikes that is worded terribly.

goingoneight
7/16/2007, 02:20 AM
:D

Well, to think of a few, Baylor 2005, UAB 2006, Washington beat themselves up or they'd have been closer in that game, IMHO... OSU 2004, we had a team "miles" better, and led by double-digits... somehow were holding OUr breath for a missed FG by the end. 2004 aTm... I'll give you College Station, but that was just flat-out ugly defense at times... freaking DENNIS FRANCHIONE ran tricks against us we were so lost!!! :eek: If it weren't for Clint Ingram missing the call to blitz, we were totally in choke mode in the Holiday Bowl that never happened. 3/4 of great defense and all of a sudden Brady Leaf starts looking like Matt Leinart... that was rather irritating.

Once again, I'm not calling for any heads... the defensive staff knows damn-well what everyone gripes about. They've admitted it several times in press conferences. I really hope it's just a slump and we'll start dominating consistently again, and playing better fundamentally.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/16/2007, 10:50 AM
NEBRASKA
Calahan tries WAY too hard to "out-coach" his opponents. Such examples include the opening KO return of the BIG 12 CCG, brilliant reverse call put them inside their own five instead of somewhere across the 20, or the run of failed trick plays againt Auburn. Usually coaches who approach Calahan's team approach it calmly and alert for his signature bonehead call that sticks out like a sore thumb every game.

In the same vein I'm voting for a Callenberger v. Sam Keller clash of ego/wills/bad team chemistry to rip this team to shreds by November.

hookem31
7/16/2007, 01:19 PM
Hook 'em
It's difficult to pinpoint a trendy weakness for Mack Brown and Texass. They just kinda show up in different areas. Sometimes, Greg Davis crawls into a hole. Sometimes, your once-a-generation talent QB (VY) can't hold onto a ball to save his life. Sometimes, a quarterback who rarely completes a pass can light up your "All-American" secondary. This year, I honestly think that the Texas depth chart is one of the youngest overall, but finest stacked in the nation. All positions but one. The sole position that wrecked your team last year when its designated starter was out, quarterback.
Do I think Texas loses to Baylor or Iowa State if Chiles has to step in for McCoy? Not really... do I think they struggle against Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tx Tech, on the road at both aggy pits? I wouldn't bet a dime on Texas beating any of those teams without McCoy unless he went down at a comfortable score margin for :mack:. Would they win? Possibly/Probably... are you really gonna bet the farm on it, though?

I have to disagree, somewhat. Although after Colt's fall from grace at the end of last season does raise questions, after watching him this spring, I think he'll bounce back nicely. But depth could be a concern. Harris looked solid in the spring, but he is still untested. I think Chiles will redshirt (JMHO).

My question marks for us are threefold.

1. Our secondary
Losing our big guns back there will definitely take a toll on our pass D. And truth be told, if you look at last year's numbers, it wasn't all that great to begin with.

2. Our O-line
Fresh faces all around and that scares me. Considering we didn't run the ball very well in the second half of last season, the trend could continue if the new kids don't step up. And continuing that theme....

3. Running back
Charles looked more and more tentative as the year went on. Davis' play calling didn't help either. Depth will also be a problem. I look for Ogbonnaya to provide a spark.

soonerinabilene
7/16/2007, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know anything about Mizzou? They were okay last year, but my $.02 was that their wins came againt weak opponents, therefore prematurely ranking them against the likes of OU and aTm... aggy, who was also a product of their schedule.

There is just something about Chase Daniels that makes me think he has "it". As long as he is healthy, I think he gives them a chance. I know nothing whatsoever about their D, so Im saying they will contend for the big 12 title, but Chase, to me, is the most dangerous qb in the league.

As for the whorns, everybody is making a big deal about replacing their all american corners and safeties, but I dont think replacing one of the worst secondarys statistically last year is automatically a bad thing for them.

goingoneight
7/16/2007, 04:14 PM
Chase Daniel obviously was good for Mizzou's standards last year. He seems like a firey guy, too. However I do think his so-called play fakes are horrible, he stares down receivers, and his worst problem is nothing more than locking his knees and standing too upright. That not only hinders your mobility, it hinders accuracy and is very dangerous (injury-inviting). That was also Smith's problem, so methinks it may be his QB coach who is the bonehead. Nothing really impresses me about this team. BIG 12's Hawaii. I plead the fifth, maybe someone knows a little more, like maybe they have good linebackers, or a DeMarco Murray kind of surprise recruit coming in, etc.

goingoneight
7/16/2007, 04:45 PM
I have to disagree, somewhat. Although after Colt's fall from grace at the end of last season does raise questions, after watching him this spring, I think he'll bounce back nicely. But depth could be a concern. Harris looked solid in the spring, but he is still untested. I think Chiles will redshirt (JMHO).

I think Colt McCoy is going to do great things at UT, I don't think his injury will affect him anymore. What I stated was UT is kind of in deep without him. To say Harris looked good in the spring is just like saying Sam Bradford looked good for us. Whorns rip us to shreds for hyping SB, so it goes both ways. Especially since OU has better overall surrounding talent on O. Colt won't have any more neck problems, but who says he doesn't tear an ACL, roll an ankle or get rocked again? No one actually WANTS that, but it could happen. And it usually happens to the team star that opposing defenses sell out to stop. AD can vouch for that. CM stays healthy, and you're one of the sharpest if not the sharpest looking offenses in the BIG 12.

My question marks for us are threefold.

1. Our secondary
Losing our big guns back there will definitely take a toll on our pass D. And truth be told, if you look at last year's numbers, it wasn't all that great to begin with.

Everyone just assumes you're in big trouble here. That could end up like OU's OL transitioning from 2005 to 2006. It was young and thin, but performed overall better, and all of the doubters had to have played at least a small role in this unit playing so well.

2. Our O-line
Fresh faces all around and that scares me. Considering we didn't run the ball very well in the second half of last season, the trend could continue if the new kids don't step up. And continuing that theme....

Boom or bust. You still have the best of young Texas talent up front. This isn't the wishbone where you have a blocking pattern, it's a zone-read spread where you are basically just buying time with your bulk. The biggest issue an OL usually faces in retooling for a passing offense is penalties. Holding (trying too hard), false start (loud crowds drown out the signal caller and anxious guys just jump too early), etc. It shouldn't take Texas more than four games to start performing better. You can also find creative ways to move the pocket around, therefore easing the pressure on the OL and mixing it up for the opposing D. KW did that a lot last year with PT.

3. Running back
Charles looked more and more tentative as the year went on. Davis' play calling didn't help either. Depth will also be a problem. I look for Ogbonnaya to provide a spark.

Aside from the RRS, I never really saw Charles as a threatening back like AD or Benson. JC always manages a good game in Dallas, but it seems most of the rest of the time he's not utilized for his talent. He's not elusive to be playing in the shotgun as much as he does. He's similar to Chris Brown here. If he's going to do anything, he's going to do it downhill.