PDA

View Full Version : Oh great and powerful uber-wise denizens of the SO...

Okla-homey
7/13/2007, 04:15 PM
I gotta buy some 'spensive software for my Blonde Daughter for her senior year coursework at AU.

I gotta get Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standardand AutoCAD 2008. To put it mildly, them bastages is sho-nuff proud of that stuff. IOW, each package costs more than than her flippin' laptop.:eek:

Any steers on where to get it cheapest? Not bootlegged. Legit copies please.

TIA

RacerX
7/13/2007, 04:17 PM
Her school bookstore might sell them at student rates.

yermom
7/13/2007, 04:20 PM
yeah, look at educational pricing... can you just buy it at TU?

OU Adonis
7/13/2007, 04:22 PM
Pics?

hurricane'bone
7/13/2007, 04:23 PM
I gotta buy some 'spensive software for my Blonde Daughter for her senior year coursework at AU.

I gotta get Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Standardand AutoCAD 2008. To put it mildly, them bastages is sho-nuff proud of that stuff. IOW, each package costs more than than her flippin' laptop.:eek:

TIA

As a student at the University of Tulsa you have access to an online CDW store that sells Adobe CS3 at Student Prices. CS3 design standard is around 400. I'm not sure if they have AutoCAD, but you can check.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/13/2007, 04:28 PM
What he said.

Also, depending on what she's using it for, I know at least for AutoCAD, you can get some pretty dang functional demo versions. But that's been five plus years ago since I last fooled with any of that.

Vaevictis
7/13/2007, 04:33 PM

TIA

A couple things:

1. As others have mentioned, have her look in the University Bookstore. They'll often have student prices.
2. Have her go talk to the IT guys in her department, specific college, AND university. They'll sometimes have the ability to give you a free install on certain software -- I get Matlab (~$2k) and Windows Server Enterprise Edition ($4k), and a bunch of other stuff free through the College of Engineering, School of ECE and School of CS here at OU.
3. Ask her if they have it installed on any lab machines -- because I bet they do -- and then ask:
a. If they allow Remote Desktop Connections to those lab machines -- I can RDC into lab machines at the OU COE from anywhere with internet access and get access to a bazzillion software packages.
b. If she can't do (a), if it's really worth a few grand for her to not have to go to the lab to use them.

mdklatt
7/13/2007, 04:37 PM
I'm with everybody else. There's a good chance she can get copies at school for dirt cheap or maybe free if this is a class requirement.

Vaevictis
7/13/2007, 04:50 PM
For example, look here:

(IIRC, Auburn, right?)

http://www.lib.auburn.edu/drl/

The lab has:

AutoCAD
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

FWIW, those four Adobe titles are the titles included in Adobe Design Standard. So, as long as she doesn't need to have it installed on her laptop for some crazy college mandated reason, at the very minimum you could just say :les: GO TO THE DADGUM LAB!@#

Okla-homey
7/13/2007, 05:47 PM
For example, look here:

(IIRC, Auburn, right?)

http://www.lib.auburn.edu/drl/

The lab has:

AutoCAD
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe InDesign
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

FWIW, those four Adobe titles are the titles included in Adobe Design Standard. So, as long as she doesn't need to have it installed on her laptop for some crazy college mandated reason, at the very minimum you could just say :les: GO TO THE DADGUM LAB!@#

I agree 100%, BUT, her departemnt is now requiring that each kid have it because the lab is crying "uncle" since inevitably these kids, being kids, wait til the last minute to do stuff, and they endi-up in big p1ssing matches in the lab at midnight before an assignment.

Howzit
7/13/2007, 05:57 PM
Dude...ALL my madskillz work of which c_p is so jealous is done in MS Paint.

So...um...yeah.

yermom
7/13/2007, 05:58 PM
excellent, pay lab fees AND pay for a laptop ;)

Vaevictis
7/13/2007, 06:22 PM
excellent, pay lab fees AND pay for a laptop ;)

That's pretty much my comment. Why the **** should the students pay the lab fees if you're going to require them to duplicate the lab themselves?

Nastygrams are in order.

Vaevictis
7/13/2007, 06:34 PM
Other thing I'd say is that just because the department says they require it doesn't mean they actually check that you have it. There are some equipment ownership requirements down here at the OU COE that lots of kids don't pay any attention to, and the only thing that happens to them is that they don't have an excuse as to why they couldn't get the assignment done anymore.

But that said, definitely have her scour the resources available on campus. Often times, there will be some resource that doesn't much advertise itself on campus that you can get software from. I'd start by looking for the things I suggested, and if worse comes to worst, buy a student license -- they're usually very cheap, comparatively.

CUinNC
7/14/2007, 06:55 AM
SolidWorks......screw Adobe...she'll blow 'em away with it

Provided they aren't playing that "you must get Adobe" gangster talk;)