PDA

View Full Version : SA says OSU WR flown to hospital in OKC...

goingoneight
7/13/2007, 03:41 PM
Artrell Woods had some kind of weight room incident. OSU boards are saying something about his spine, so thankfully (that sounds like) the bar wasn't dropped on a bench. Still a horrible situation. For all our resident aggies on SF.com, prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery. :(

yermom
7/13/2007, 03:47 PM
"spine" and "thankfully" don't seem to go together...

hope he's ok

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2007, 03:49 PM
prayers sent

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2007, 03:50 PM
Artrell Woods Injured In Workout
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Allen
GoPokes.com Jul 13, 2007

STILLWATER - During OSU's off-season strength and conditioning workout Friday morning sophomore wide receiver Artrell Woods was injured in the weight room. The 6-1, 195-pound receiver lost his balance during a normal weight-lifting exercise and had the weights he was using fall on him. Woods was initially taken to Stillwater Medical Center and then was flown to Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma City.

There are few details on the exact extent of the injury as of now. It is not life threatening, but is potentially serious. Woods is being examined and the injury is being diagnosed at this time. The injury is reported to be with his back.

Oklahoma State officials had no other response than to confirm Woods had been injured, that he was being treated now in Oklahoma City, and the exact extent of the injury was still unknown.

Artrell Woods was the hero of the Oklahoma State spring game with two touchdown receptions, including the winning touchdown and subsequent two-point conversion in leading the White squad to the victory.

He had an outstanding spring that saw him rise to a starting position at wide receiver on the depth chart. The standout from Bryan, Texas had two receptions for nine yards in his freshman campaign in 2006.

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/658484.html

goingoneight
7/13/2007, 03:52 PM
"spine" and "thankfully" don't seem to go together...

hope he's ok

as opposed to a broken neck... it's a little better. that's what I meant by that.

The Maestro
7/13/2007, 04:00 PM
Okay, I feel bad for the guy and hope he is going to be fine, but why in the heck did the article talk about him being the "hero" of the Spring game? Spring games have heroes? Just askin'.

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2007, 04:03 PM
Okay, I feel bad for the guy and hope he is going to be fine, but why in the heck did the article talk about him being the "hero" of the Spring game? Spring games have heroes? Just askin'.

Robert Allen
GoPokes.com Jul 13, 2007

NUFF SAID.

Widescreen
7/13/2007, 04:34 PM
Hope he has 100% recovery and does it quickly.

Then we can abuse him on 11/24. ;)

MamaMia
7/13/2007, 04:55 PM
Prayers from this Sooner home hoping that Mr. Woods has a complete recovery.

Mixer!
7/13/2007, 04:59 PM
done.

Collier11
7/13/2007, 05:04 PM
I hate to see anyone hurt, ags included!

King Crimson
7/13/2007, 05:18 PM
i have a friend who is a quadriplegic from a car accident 13 years ago and it's not a good thing....spinal injury. good luck to the kid. must have been horrible to be there.

goingoneight
7/13/2007, 05:35 PM
He's not related to the other Woods boys, apparently. Haven't heard anything new yet...

poke4christ
7/13/2007, 07:11 PM
On behalf of Artie Woods and all the orange faithful, thank you. Your prayers and thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Hopefully he'll be able to make a full recovery.

KantoSooner
7/13/2007, 07:15 PM
It can not be emphasized too often: if you lift, you got to have a spotter.

I hope he has a prompt and complete recovery.

OUDoc
7/13/2007, 07:49 PM
Hope he's okay.

goingoneight
7/13/2007, 07:51 PM
On behalf of Artie Woods and all the orange faithful, thank you. Your prayers and thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Hopefully he'll be able to make a full recovery.
... you're more than welcome to the prayers. this isn't a childish rivalry where you point fingers, this is a human being. God Bless...

Edmond Sooner
7/13/2007, 08:50 PM
Here's hoping it won't turn out to be as serious as it sounds, but he'll still be in our family's prayers. -E.S.

Oldnslo
7/13/2007, 09:04 PM
I hope the kid is okay.

OSUFAN11
7/13/2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the prayers. They are appreciated! I know we usually go back and forth about OU/OSU subjects but this is a totally different situation. It is good to see that everybody can come together at a time like this.

birddog
7/13/2007, 09:59 PM
that sucks. just empahasizes my theory that weightlifting should only be attempted by whorns.

hope the kid's ok.

SCOUT
7/13/2007, 10:05 PM
I am hoping that he can recover quickly. I will be adding my prayers for his health and well being.

insuranceman_22
7/14/2007, 12:29 AM
Bad deal it sounds like, hope AW makes full and speedy recovery.

jdsooner
7/14/2007, 12:42 AM
God bless him and may he have a full recovery.

Sooner74
7/14/2007, 12:49 AM
Prayers to him. Stuff like this is easily preventable in the use of safe lifting techniques. I hope he makes a full recovery and is able to get back on the field. I am glad so many people care about fellow humans with the respect I feel has diminished as of lately. OUr hearts and prayers are truly out to this kid and I hope OSU takes the proper steps to get this kid help he may possibly need.

Flagstaffsooner
7/14/2007, 04:39 AM
It doesn't sound good for his career. God bless him.

OSU receiver reportedly has surgery after back injury

By Andrea Cohen and Mike Baldwin
The Oklahoman
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State sophomore receiver Artrell Woods sustained what is believed to be a serious back injury during a voluntary weightlifting session Friday morning.

The injury, which several sources said is not life-threatening but could be career-ending, is believed to be a fractured vertebrae. Sources said Woods underwent extensive surgery that lasted several hours, but they did not know the outcome of the surgery.
Woods was doing a standard step-up lift with about 100 pounds of weight on his shoulders.
Sources said it was a "freak accident” during a drill designed to build leg strength. According to sources, Woods lost his footing, went forward and hit his knees on the step, then fell backward. It is a lift that is not done with a spotter.
Woods was taken out of the weight room on a stretcher and treated at Stillwater Medical Center before being flown to Mercy Hospital in Oklahoma City.
Strength and conditioning coach Rob Glass was present at the workout but declined comment. The majority of the football staff, including coach Mike Gundy, are on vacation this week and will return to work Monday.
OSU assistant athletic director for media relations Kevin Klintworth confirmed Woods was undergoing treatment and evaluation in Oklahoma City, but would not address rumors that Woods has already undergone surgery.
Klintworth said more will be known about Woods' condition over the weekend.
Unrelated to the Woods brothers from Millwood, Artrell Woods is a 6-foot-1, 200-pound sophomore from Bryan, Texas, who arguably was the offensive MVP of this spring's Orange-White game.
After hauling in four catches for 111 yards and two touchdowns in the spring game, Woods was considered the leading contender for the No. 2 receiver spot opposite All-Big 12 receiver Adarius Bowman.

zeke
7/14/2007, 09:34 AM
Hopefully he will be OK and be able to continue to play football. Prayers to him & his family.

yermom
7/14/2007, 09:59 AM
man, that sucks. that isn't really a whole lot of weight, that could have happened to anyone.

hopefully he'll back on the field in a year or two

Ash
7/14/2007, 11:19 AM
thoughts and prayers hoping for a speedy recovery.

SactoSooner
7/14/2007, 02:34 PM
Prayers prayers and many more prayers.

Seamus
7/14/2007, 02:49 PM
Best wishes and godspeed to the young man. Here's hoping for a full recovery in both football and life.

soonerloyal
7/14/2007, 03:14 PM
Injuries like this just bruise a mama's heart. God bless Artrell and all who love him. Prayers immediate and heartfelt going up as I type. May he have a full recovery and feel the strength & caring we send him as he heals. I wish him a fast return to the field at full strength and God's blessing.

Newbomb Turk
7/14/2007, 04:03 PM
best wishes for the young man.

Collier11
7/14/2007, 09:26 PM
Prayers to him. Stuff like this is easily preventable in the use of safe lifting techniques.

Dont be so quick to make declarations like that, accidents happen in the weight room just the same as any other aspect of life! I really doubt he was being reckless or careless!

Sooner74
7/14/2007, 11:00 PM
Collier I was just expressing my well wishes to a kid that had a very unfortunate accident. Maybe he couldn't have a spotter on that particular excercise ,but improper techniques are a big reason in why most people get hurt. This kid had an unfortunate accident and I hope he gets to where he is functional in life.

7/15/2007, 06:57 AM
I saw him play a few times here in Bryan/College Station. He was a treat to watch. Sad news.

goingoneight
7/15/2007, 02:23 PM
I hopped on OP and read something about him being in surgery for 3.5 hours. :eek: Also says he's in good spirits, and the family wants any further questions regarding his status directed to the program officials. He says he 'looks forward to catching balls again.'

SoonerBOI
7/16/2007, 09:24 AM
Best wishes and I pray for his full recovery.

picasso
7/17/2007, 01:06 PM
I feel for anybody who jacks their back up. it's not to be played with.

he's young too, hope he's able to live a healthy life.