PDA

View Full Version : Yeah...so...I got in a wreck today

Osce0la
7/13/2007, 02:09 PM
I was driving through downtown Birmingham on my way back to work, was going down a hill on 20th street, there was a car ahead of me trying to turn left. I hit the brakes, car slides, let off the brakes, tap them lightly, car slides, repeat a couple of times - car slides every time. I turn the wheel to the right hoping maybe it will grip and I can avoid him - car slides...straight. I end up running into him. His SUV is ok, slight (very slight) damage to the bumper (scratches, on raised spot where the metal behind the cover pushed the cover out). My car has a busted up fender, busted up hood, possibly a damaged radiator (it is pushed back, haven't determined the exact damage of anything under the hood yet), busted headlight (completely busted, most of it is still on 20th Street)...it is generally ****ed. It does still run, but the A/C is not working on it now :mad:. I would post pics, but since my phone will not let me send pix messages (that I am paying for, **** you Verizon :mad:), I can not get them to my email to get them posted...

I am fine, he and his passenger are fine. I am hoping everything under the hood is ok and I can just go to pull-a-part and get a hood, fender, and headlight. This is an old car and I only drive it to work and home, so if it doesn't look great I don't care, I just don't want a ****ed up fender and hood...

NormanPride
7/13/2007, 02:18 PM
That sucks. Hope the radiator is okay...

TheHumanAlphabet
7/13/2007, 02:32 PM
Was it raining? how come no traction? Sorry for the accident.

Osce0la
7/13/2007, 02:33 PM
I'm just hoping I can get the thing home without it overheating. I only live about 15 minutes from work (about the same time it took me to get to work after the police report and everything was filed). It made it back to work without getting hot, so I am hoping I can get it home without it getting hot...

I'm really going to hate not having an air conditioner in there this afternoon though :O

Osce0la
7/13/2007, 02:35 PM
Was it raining? how come no traction? Sorry for the accident.
Yes, it has been raining off and on all morning. I think the roads right there were the main problem. I had no problem stopping (from much higher speeds than I was traveling when this happened) the entire time I had been driving while on my lunch break, until I got to that point. Going around the curves just before that point my car was trying to slide into the other lane while I was only doing about 15 mph (and the tires on my car are not old at all)...Seems that road does not do too well when it is wet...

Mjcpr
7/13/2007, 02:36 PM
You live in Birmingham, right? Just park it in the front yard.

:D

Osce0la
7/13/2007, 02:38 PM
You live in Birmingham, right? Just park it in the front yard.

:D
I don't live in Tuscaloosa...:D

;)

Sooner_Bob
7/13/2007, 11:06 PM
That stinks . . . glad you're ok though.

oumartin
7/13/2007, 11:35 PM
Birmingham has great japanese steakhouse!

StoopTroup
7/14/2007, 12:05 AM
Glad your OK.

Turd_Ferguson
7/14/2007, 12:12 AM
Birmingham has great japanese steakhouse!
Hell yeah....Ray Ray's saki and shrimp...been there done that.

jk the sooner fan
7/14/2007, 08:00 AM
glad you're ok, but if your hood is bent up, then you likely went up under his backside and thats where most of his damage will be

Chuck Bao
7/14/2007, 08:23 AM
I've noticed in Bangkok that the roads are extra slick when we get the first little rain after the 6-month dry season. I don't know if it is the dirt or oil on the road.

Maybe something similar was the reason your car couldn't get traction, like first rain in a while and a construction site nearby.

Ditto the glad-your-safe comments.

MamaMia
7/14/2007, 10:11 AM
The main thing is that its good nobody was hurt. What kind of car do you have, other than banged up?