PDA

View Full Version : Is Ichiro REALLY worth $20 million a year?

JohnnyMack
7/13/2007, 01:19 PM
Cause that's what he's gonna get.

illinisooner
7/13/2007, 01:26 PM
From a baseball standpoint, no. From a marketing/business standpoint, yes. And A-Rod is not worth 30 million a year. Pujols makes around 15 million a year, IIRC, and his stats are very similar to Alex's. A-Rod might have slightly better numbers, but are they worth 15 million more than Pujols? No. I figured that when A-Rod signed his next contract, it'd be less than his current one.

royalfan5
7/13/2007, 01:36 PM
I would guess that the incremental revenue from Japan more than covers the cost of Ichiro for the Mariners, and you have to remember that they are owned by Ninetendo, and as such have more ties to Japan than your average franchise. Keeping Ichiro is the right business move for them, and he isn't hurting the team on the field by any means.

soonerinabilene
7/13/2007, 05:18 PM
For Seattle, yes, he is. He is the face of their franchise, and is a huge revenue maker for them. On a team that had another star, no, he probably wouldnt be.

bluedogok
7/13/2007, 09:26 PM
They lost A-Rod for the cash to the Rangers. I don't think they wanted to lose their star in the Seattle market and Japan like they lost A-Rod, Randy Johnson and others previously.

garland sooner
7/18/2007, 03:05 PM
I'd pay to go and see Ichiro. I'd pay to go see him a bit more often if he played for the Rangers. so... is he worth it? yes.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/18/2007, 03:25 PM
Well you also have to take into account that he generates runs with his speed. No matter how good your power hitters are..they are going to have nights where they just don't hit...whereas Ichiro is going to turn outs into singles, singles into doubles, doubles into triples. He makes life easier for your middle of the order to because he distracts pitchers with his speed. So in some sense he effects the whole game plan of a team, as Barry Bonds has shown, you can neutralize a good hitter by pitching around him.

snp
7/19/2007, 02:58 PM
Yes, he is definitely worth it.