PDA

View Full Version : How do the penalties affect the stats of players?

batonrougesooner
7/12/2007, 07:24 AM
Sorry if it's been asked already. I've been away.

Will the "vacated" games also mean vacating the stats compiled in those games? I was thinking about AD.

And does this mean that what's his name has to give back the Holiday Bowl MVP trophy? What does the athletic dept. do with the Holiday Bowl trophy as well?

Harry Beanbag
7/12/2007, 07:30 AM
Everybody's stats count except for Bomar's and Quinn's. Makes perfect sense huh?

On the bright side, Peterson's ypc should go up significantly since he "gained" like 1000 yards in games that never happened. :)

mxATVracer10
7/12/2007, 07:31 AM
only the idiots stats are removed from the records, all other player stats remain...

And anything relating to the holiday bowl (trophy, banners, etc.) can not be publilcly displayed, so no holiday bowl trophy in the Switzer Center. Although when I went thru there after the red white game I dont remember seeing it in there anyways...

Rhino
7/12/2007, 11:50 AM
Check the sticky.

OSUAggie
7/12/2007, 11:53 AM
Most of the sticky's Q&A have their own threads. :)

Partial Qualifier
7/12/2007, 11:58 AM
I suspect the wins & the stats will remain in place basically everywhere you look, albeit with an asterisk, except for the official OU recordbook and NCAA's official W/L records.

Don't you think that'll be the case, rhino? I mean, I can't see the whole college football world retro-fitting all their stat and W/L compilations because of this. They'll just asterisk it and move on.

Rhino
7/12/2007, 11:58 AM
Most of the sticky's Q&A have their own threads. :) Shows you how much people don't pay attention, I guess.

The only reason why I'm letting some of them continue is because some people still need to vent.

Rhino
7/12/2007, 12:06 PM
I suspect the wins & the stats will remain in place basically everywhere you look, albeit with an asterisk, except for the official OU recordbook and NCAA's official W/L records.

Don't you think that'll be the case, rhino? I mean, I can't see the whole college football world retro-fitting all their stat and W/L compilations because of this. They'll just asterisk it and move on. The only stats and records that have to change are on OU's side. We have to correct all our stats and records to show the eight games vacated and the statistics vacated.

5. Pursuant to NCAA Bylaws 19.5.2.2-(e)-(2) and 31.2.2.4-(b), the institution will vacate all wins in which the two ineligible student-athletes competed during the 2005 football season. The individual records of these (former) student-athletes shall be vacated as well. Further, the institution's records regarding football as well as the record of the head coach will be reconfigured to reflect the vacated wins and so recorded in all publications in which football records for the 2005 season are reported, including, but not limited to, institution media guides, recruiting material and institution and NCAA archives. Finally, any public reference to these vacated contests, including the bowl game won during this time shall be removed from athletics department stationery, banners displayed in public areas and any other forum in which they may appear. Teams that we beat in 2005 will probably put an asterisk next to the score, but they cannot claim a win and cannot change their record or stats for that year.

If we had to forfeit those games, it'd be a different story.

Now, if you're talking about media publications like ESPN or Rivals -- they'll probably just put an asterisk by some of that stuff and move on. We as fans can still claim those wins, just like pathetic aggy fans will claim wins now, because the NCAA doesn't govern us or ESPN or Rivals.