PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Lightfoot

SicEmBaylor
7/11/2007, 11:48 PM
I always loved his work. I've re-discovered his song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

It's some good stuff, and I've been listening to it all day.

That is all.

Vaevictis
7/11/2007, 11:51 PM
Sundown (the album) is awesome.

SicEmBaylor
7/11/2007, 11:52 PM
Sundown (the album) is awesome.
The single is also one of my all-time favorite songs.

SicEmBaylor
7/11/2007, 11:53 PM
I've been listening to these sorts of songs all week. I think it has something to do with the fact that in a few days Oklahoma is going to have beach front property and there's a real possibility of a hurricane sinking my car on the way to the grocery store.

Suerreal
7/11/2007, 11:58 PM
He wasn't the best singer, the best guitarist, or the best songwriter of the 1970s, but he may well have been the best package.

My favorites by him:
If You Could Read My Mind (Interesting Mars/Venus case study way before John Gray wrote about it)
Edmund Fitzgerald
Don Quixote - Great line:
See the soldier with his gun
Who must be dead to be admired
Protocol
Spanish Moss
Cotton Jenny
Ghosts of Cape Horn

Vaevictis
7/12/2007, 12:01 AM
Heh, funny thing about him: I heard him on the radio more in a day when I was up in Toronto than I have in my entire life in the States.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/12/2007, 02:04 AM
Heh, funny thing about him: I heard him on the radio more in a day when I was up in Toronto than I have in my entire life in the States.Didja go up there for some health care?

LoyalFan
7/12/2007, 03:17 AM
Met him once, wayyyyy back when. Had cheese in his beard. Not sure how long it'd been there, but a passing mouse took a hopeful sniff, gagged, and ran out of the room.
On the other hand, it might have been...never mind.

LF

TUSooner
7/12/2007, 05:57 AM
I saw him at the OKC civic center in 1974 or '75. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

OU4LIFE
7/12/2007, 07:11 AM
the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald and Sundown are both on my MP3 player.

it's cool when one of those comes on right after something heavy like Black Label Society.

crawfish
7/12/2007, 07:49 AM
"Gord's Gold" is a great album. I like every song on it.

"Gord's Gold II", not so much.

stoopified
7/12/2007, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking he should write a song called WRECK OF THE SOONER SCHOONER.Its kinda how I feel right now.Love Edmund but can only listen to it an hour or so at a time,not all day.

OUAndy1807
7/12/2007, 08:14 AM
Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald is one of the most terrible, boring songs ever. It ranks right up there with Alice's Restaurant.

WILBURJIM
7/12/2007, 08:41 AM
You ain't lived 'til you've swam in the Big Lake they call Gitchigoome. :D

Vaevictis
7/12/2007, 09:12 AM
Didja go up there for some health care?

Nope. Went to visit my brother in law.

He got drunk, broke his wrist, and the lines were so long, he was in and out of the emergency room in two hours. Absolutely horrifying. :rolleyes:

LoyalFan
7/12/2007, 09:33 AM
You ain't lived 'til you've swam in the Big Lake they call Gitchigoome. :D

SONG OF HIAWATHA
Hiawatha's Childhood
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.

Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.
There the wrinkled old Nokomis
Nursed the little Hiawatha,
Rocked him in his linden cradle,
Bedded soft in moss and rushes,
Safely bound with reindeer sinews;
Stilled his fretful wail by saying,
"Hush! the *Naked Bear will hear thee!"
Lulled him into slumber, singing,
"Ewa-yea! my little owlet!
Who is this, that lights the wigwam?
With his great eyes lights the wigwam?
Ewa-yea! my little owlet!"

* There's a SicEm joke here somewhere.
LF

Paperclip
7/12/2007, 09:44 AM
My sister used to think that song was called "The Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald".

LoyalFan
7/12/2007, 09:58 AM
My sister used to think that song was called "The Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald".

Heck, my Uncle Norbert would get drunk every December 7 and shout "Remember Pearl Bailey!".

LF

7/12/2007, 10:03 AM
Nope. Went to visit my brother in law.

He got drunk, broke his wrist, and the lines were so long, he was in and out of the emergency room in two hours. Absolutely horrifying. :rolleyes:Obama '08

HoserSooner
7/12/2007, 10:10 AM
Heh, funny thing about him: I heard him on the radio more in a day when I was up in Toronto than I have in my entire life in the States.

That's mostly because up here all radio stations under law have to play a certain percentage of Canadian music every day. I don't know the exact numbers, but we get a heavy dose of Rush, The Tragically Hip, Barenaked Ladies, etc. all day long.

7/12/2007, 10:15 AM
That's mostly because up here all radio stations under law have to play a certain percentage of Canadian music every day. I don't know the exact numbers, but we get a heavy dose of Rush, The Tragically Hip, Barenaked Ladies, etc. all day long.Oh, good, mandated radio programming. It's coming to your very own US city as soon as the congress can force it on us.

Vaevictis
That's mostly because up here all radio stations under law have to play a certain percentage of Canadian music every day. I don't know the exact numbers, but we get a heavy dose of Rush, The Tragically Hip, Barenaked Ladies, etc. all day long.

More Rush is better. But the rest, meh.

Paperclip
How many times a day do you get to hear Informer?

Beef
7/12/2007, 10:34 AM
I'm sure the suicide rate would directly correspond to the number of times it's played.

I do have it on my ipod, though. :O

royalfan5
7/12/2007, 11:08 AM
Oh, good, mandated radio programming. It's coming to your very own US city as soon as the congress can force it on us.
Can't be any worse than Clear Channel's playlists.

HoserSooner
7/12/2007, 11:54 AM

I don't listen to any radio stations that would dare play that POS.

And yes, the more Rush the better, but like many rock radio stations, they seem to only play the 5-6 most popular songs, so it gets a bit tiresome after awhile.

SoonerStormchaser
7/12/2007, 12:19 PM
The problem with Rush, Hoser, is that they're not labeled as a "radio friendly" band. Take away "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," "Subdivisions," "Time Stand Still," and "Working Man" and not too many outside of us die-hard fans would even know their songs.

My wife's going with me, my dad, my mom and my younger brother to see them here in San Antonio one month from today...and those are the only songs she even knows (my wife and my mom are going with us cause my dad and I insisted that they HAVE to attend at least one Rush concert with us in this lifetime).

HoserSooner
7/12/2007, 12:22 PM
The problem with Rush, Hoser, is that they're not labeled as a "radio friendly" band. Take away "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," "Subdivisions," "Time Stand Still," and "Working Man" and not too many outside of us die-hard fans would even know their songs.

My wife's going with me, my dad, my mom and my younger brother to see them here in San Antonio one month from today...and those are the only songs she even knows (my wife and my mom are going with us cause my dad and I insisted that they HAVE to attend at least one Rush concert with us in this lifetime).

Good point. Doens't just happen with Rush though...the one station in town here seems to think that AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc. only have 5-6 songs worth playing at any time.

Enjoy the show...they are great live. I'm hoping to be able to get down to Toronto to catch them in September. First show is sold out, but hopefully I can get in on the second one.

7/12/2007, 12:44 PM
Can't be any worse than Clear Channel's playlists.MANDATED!

royalfan5
7/12/2007, 01:19 PM
MANDATED!
I'd rather have Rush mandated all day then Hinder getting played as much as they do. Is their country, they can do whatever the hell they want as long as they keep exporting their hot wimmens.

SoonerStormchaser
7/12/2007, 08:10 PM
Good point. Doens't just happen with Rush though...the one station in town here seems to think that AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, etc. only have 5-6 songs worth playing at any time.

Enjoy the show...they are great live. I'm hoping to be able to get down to Toronto to catch them in September. First show is sold out, but hopefully I can get in on the second one.

My dad, my Godfather and I flew out to Vegas three years ago to see them at the MGM Grand for their R30 tour...it kicked major ***...til the morons in front of us lit up a doobie at the start of "Working Man."

OCUDad
7/12/2007, 09:06 PM
MANDATED!You dated Gordon Lightfoot? :eek:

LoyalFan
7/12/2007, 11:29 PM
You dated Gordon Lightfoot? :eek:

No, no, NO! Can't you read? He meant he dated Gordon's RIGHT FOOT!

LF

OCUDad
7/12/2007, 11:36 PM
No, no, NO! Can't you read? He meant he dated Gordon's RIGHT FOOT!

LFWell, duh. No way he'd date the left one. :rolleyes:

LoyalFan
7/12/2007, 11:38 PM
Well, duh. No way he'd date the left one. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that bout with toenail fungus was a real off-turner.

LF

OCUDad
7/12/2007, 11:40 PM
It's them durned leftist feet.

SleestakSooner
7/12/2007, 11:41 PM
He wasn't the best singer, the best guitarist, or the best songwriter of the 1970s, but he may well have been the best package.

HEY! You told me I had the best package! :eek:

Oh and Gordon's stuff is classic, Canadian or not.

RLIMC I got an idea for ya, go listen to so much right wing retoric that you cannot possibly relate to anything else at all with out referring to "what Limbaugh said":pop: