PDA

View Full Version : Any Pensacolans out there?

TUSooner
7/11/2007, 06:51 PM
I plan to invade P'cola Beach on Saturday, for a week, with wife, 2 daughters, 4 friends of daughters, mother-in-law, M-i-L's cousin from Vegas :eek: , and the dog formerly known as Dean.

Just a warning.

How can you get away from it all if you take it all with you?

TUSooner
7/11/2007, 08:22 PM
Bump for jthomasou78?

olevetonahill
7/11/2007, 08:52 PM
Are they HAWT ?
srry had to :D

phead903
7/11/2007, 08:53 PM
The wimmen or the dogs?:D

olevetonahill
7/11/2007, 08:56 PM
The wimmen or the dogs?:D
Aint that the same thing ?:D :D :pop:

SoonerInFla
7/11/2007, 09:16 PM
Hope you have fun TU. If you get a chance, check out NAS Pensacola. The Naval Aviation Museum and the IMAX theater are pretty cool. I'd suggest eating at McGuires, in Pensacola. There's also good seafood at a place called The Fish House. If you want to get some fresh seafood to cook yourself, check out Jo Pattis. If you decide to go Charter fishing check out " The Lively One II." It's right when you get on the beach on the right. I'm pretty sure he still does trips where you pay by the person, which is more economical than chartering a private charter. Plus, he has been doing it about 20 years and knows where the fish are. I'll try and think of more and if you've got questions, fire away.

Don't speed through Gulf Breeze, the little town between Pensacola and Pensacola Beach. They're award winning ticket writers.

OUinFLA
7/11/2007, 09:29 PM
If you'll just come on south I can manage to eat dinner with you.
Heck, if I can put up with Howzit for dinner, you should be easy.

SoonerInFla
7/11/2007, 09:30 PM
Here's something else. Ladies Billfish Tournament at Palafox Pier & Yacht Harbor downtown Pensacola. The Ladies can catch some big fish too.
The Fish House and some other good restaurants are close by.

The weigh-in is slated for 3-9 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Prizes will be given for top blue marlin, wahoo, dolphin and tuna. There also is a tag-and-release division.

olevetonahill
7/11/2007, 09:46 PM
If you'll just come on south I can manage to eat dinner with you.
Heck, if I can put up with Howzit for dinner, you should be easy.
Glad you didnt say " Olevet ":D :P

Okla-homey
7/12/2007, 05:53 AM
Two of my favorite ante-bellum masonry forts are at Pensacola. Ft Pickens and Fort Barancas.

Check them both out, especially Barancas. It is "aboard" NAS Pensacola (but administered by the NPS.)

Pickens was where Geronimo and many surrendered Apache were held until they were brought to Ft Sill.

TUSooner
7/12/2007, 06:06 AM
Have been to NAS and museum - really cool.
In all the years we used to go to P'cola regularly, we never went to McGuire's because it was always jam packed.
Thanks for the reminder about Ft Pickens, Homey. I drove down to the park entrance once, but it was closed or something, so I've never been to the fort itself. Never went to Ft Barancas, either. Maybe this time

Okla-homey
7/12/2007, 06:46 AM
Have been to NAS and museum - really cool.
In all the years we used to go to P'cola regularly, we never went to McGuire's because it was always jam packed.
Thanks for the reminder about Ft Pickens, Homey. I drove down to the park entrance once, but it was closed or something, so I've never been to the fort itself. Never went to Ft Barancas, either. Maybe this time

The cool thing about Barancas, IMHO, is the fort is entirely surrounded by a ditch (dry "moat.) On the ditch face opposite the fort, runs a "counterscarp" which is essentially a masonry tunnel with firing loopholes running it's entire length. Thus, if the fort were attacked by infantry, any d00d who got into the ditch would be in a crossfire from both sides. Also, at the corners of the ditch, they had set up 42 pounder carronades, which were essentially ginormous shotguns which could sweep the ditch with 42 pound canister -- that's about 200 musketballs per shot.

jthomasou78
7/12/2007, 06:12 PM
TU how old are the girls that are coming with you? Might be able to give you some better ideas on what to do. If shopping is a plan make a day trip to destin.

TUSooner
7/12/2007, 09:33 PM
TU how old are the girls that are coming with you? Might be able to give you some better ideas on what to do. If shopping is a plan make a day trip to destin.

They are old enough that you should stay away from them! :D

NO Destin, no way. At least I'm not about to go that far. We picked Pensa because its closer and less crowded and more laid back -- at least it used to be. If they can get what they want at the Pnsacola WallyWrld then they dont need it!
Check your PEEMs