PDA

View Full Version : Why does the NCAA think that forfieting/vacating games...

LittleWingSooner
7/11/2007, 04:11 PM
Is a punishment?

It's not like they really stopped anything from happening again. It's not like it didn't actually happen. The loss of scholarships kinda hurts but it wasn't really that bad. It could hurt our depth early in the 2010s some, but if we have classes that work out instead of doing what the 02 and 03 classes did we'll be fine with the scholarships.

This punishment is really light if you think about it. The only thing that's harsh is that we better not get into anymore trouble.

soonervegas
7/11/2007, 05:01 PM
At least the 0-4 record matches your opinion of Stoops.

BASSooner
7/11/2007, 05:07 PM
At least the 0-4 record matches your opinion of Stoops.
haha true true. He does make a point though. Recruits are not going to give a flying sh*t that the NCAA made us "vacate" our record.

The Maestro
7/11/2007, 05:11 PM
The part that bothers me the most is the overall record for Stoops. Sucks for him in his pursuit of greatness...not that he hasn't already achieved it, but that is 8 fewer wins behind Barry and Bud...8 fewer wins for his overall winning percentage. How dare he not know where these goons were every waking second of the day!!!

fwsooner22
7/11/2007, 05:17 PM
Does anyone even care that Michigan gave up their B-Ball wins for two seasons. Not me!

If the NCAA thinks this is the way to get tough, they are mistaken. They can't take bowl games and TV anymore, cause they figured out by doing so it took money out of their pockets. Money, money, money.

Let's just go kick everyone's $$$. I cannot wait for the Miami game.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/11/2007, 05:25 PM
The part that bothers me the most is the overall record for Stoops. Sucks for him in his pursuit of greatness...not that he hasn't already achieved it, but that is 8 fewer wins behind Barry and Bud...8 fewer wins for his overall winning percentage. How dare he not know where these goons were every waking second of the day!!! He can still overcome them both in # of NC's.

canes4ever
7/11/2007, 05:26 PM
"Let's just go kick everyone's $$$. I cannot wait for the Miami game."

You looking past North Texas State?

The Maestro
7/11/2007, 05:41 PM

No. But at least their stadium is halfway decent, NOT located in Cuba, has fresh paint and they can get 20,000 fans to show up.

Now get back to helping K2-Fed with his motorcycle lessons...

soonersweetie
7/11/2007, 06:03 PM
No. But at least their stadium is halfway decent, NOT located in Cuba, has fresh paint and they can get 20,000 fans to show up.

Now that's funny!! :)

soonersweetie
7/11/2007, 06:11 PM
From Fox Sports News-

NCAA can't really take OU's wins away
Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com, Updated 1 hour ago

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

So according to the NCAA, Oklahoma didn't win any games in 2005 because of the mortal sins of former quarterback Rhett Bomar, who (gasp!) took a few dollars for basically being the Oklahoma quarterback, and lineman J.D. Quinn who (oh heavens!) also got some coin for a no-show gig at a car dealership.
The NCAA has you brainwashed in thinking that what these guys did was morally wrong in some way, but that's a discussion for another time. The NCAA forced OU to forfeit all eight of its wins from 2005, and now the can of worms is open wide as far as what should come next. As you read this, the words "Reggie" and "Bush" are probably all over LSU and Oklahoma message boards.

It's all silly. I don't care that the wins don't technically count. You don't care that the wins don't technically count. Anyone with a brain doesn't care that the wins don't technically count. Those games happened, and that can't be changed.

Or can they?

What the NCAA should've done is punish OU with a bowl ban or additional scholarship limitations. If the organization really had any teeth, it would force the school to pay back all revenues from games played with the "illegal" players. That being said, I don't believe any of that should really happen. But it makes far more sense than taking away wins on games that actually happened. So, if we're going to do this, then let's really do this.

Therefore ...

Nebraska gets the 2005 Big 12 North title, and not Colorado. Oklahoma forfeits its 31-24 win, giving the Cornhuskers a 5-3 mark, good for a tie with Colorado atop the division. Thanks to a 30-3 blowout of the Buffs, the 'Huskers win the Big 12 North. Unless Vince Young and the rest of the 2005 Longhorns can regroup and play the 2005 Nebraska team for the Big 12 title, we're forced to conclude Texas is no longer the official 2005 Big 12 champion, seeing as how it didn't beat the North champion in the conference title game.

Baylor University must be paid reparations for the bowl game it would've gone to, now that football team is 6-5. It most certainly would've gotten a 12th game.

The same goes for Kansas State. The Wildcats, thanks to the forfeit win, are now 6-5 and should be owed back pay for the bowl game it would've gone to.

The same goes for Texas A&M, who now also finishes 6-5.
Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Of course it does, and that's the point. Oklahoma won those games, whether or not Bomar and Quinn were given a few hundred dollars, a few million or a ham sandwich. Had they gambled on the games, been caught using steroids or human growth hormones (just wait until that Pandora's Box opens up), or had been guilty of actually messing with the games themselves, then the forfeiture of wins might be justified. Then you're talking about the integrity of the game, as opposed to what amounts to the players thumbing their noses at an antiquated and unfair policy.

GrapevineSooner
7/11/2007, 06:42 PM
Except that the opponents OU beat in 2005 don't get to claim those games as wins now.

On the surface, it does seem silly to try and rewrite history by forcing teams to vacate wins or even forfeit them. OTOH, what if the NCAA investigates USC and Reggie Bush and determines he broke a boatload of rules during the 2004 season.

It wouldn't really seem right to allow the Trojans to keep their National Title even though it was one player committing all those transgressions.

Jello Biafra
7/11/2007, 06:48 PM

why don't you go play a nice quiet game of hide and go f*ck yourself cane.....grown folks are talkin.....

bcgvh
7/11/2007, 06:56 PM
Well, as much as I hate this decision and want to see USC get the same treatment, at least they got us on our down year.

sooneron
7/11/2007, 07:07 PM
It wouldn't really seem right to allow the Trojans to keep their National Title even though it was one player committing all those transgressions.
One player? Come on, now.

Jello Biafra
7/11/2007, 07:11 PM
One player? Come on, now.

exactly...isn't it ironic that dwayne jarrett, a matter of hours after his re-instatement to the team, is delivered to practice in a car that was swarmed by the police for a suspected armed robbery? imagine the bad luck with ole dwayne.......

ouwapiti
7/11/2007, 07:24 PM
they should make oregon 'vacate' their 'win' last year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swardboy
7/11/2007, 08:23 PM
This is what could put the chill in recruiting:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=690631

Dee indicated that Oklahoma could be subject to the NCAA's "death penalty" if more violations occur during its probation period.
"If that would be the case that issue would be considered," Dee said. "That has not occurred in a while, but it would be available."

Jello Biafra
7/11/2007, 08:49 PM
This is what could put the chill in recruiting:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=690631

Dee indicated that Oklahoma could be subject to the NCAA's "death penalty" if more violations occur during its probation period.
"If that would be the case that issue would be considered," Dee said. "That has not occurred in a while, but it would be available."

wait.....so dee is still the athletic director at Miami? another reason to whip the dawg shiite out of them in a couple of months....

Scott D
7/11/2007, 08:54 PM
Does anyone even care that Michigan gave up their B-Ball wins for two seasons. Not me!

If the NCAA thinks this is the way to get tough, they are mistaken. They can't take bowl games and TV anymore, cause they figured out by doing so it took money out of their pockets. Money, money, money.

Let's just go kick everyone's $$$. I cannot wait for the Miami game.

ask Alabama if they can't take bowl games and TV anymore.

LittleWingSooner
7/11/2007, 09:32 PM
A school like OU would never be put on the death penalty because if that happened, someone for OU would get ready to take the NCAA down by suing them. It's the same with a Texas or any other bigger money school. It would mean the end to the NCAA as we know it.

swardboy
7/11/2007, 09:48 PM
As I recall, the sanctions against Alabama were very similar to what befell OU back in the early '90's....and both programs were decimated by it for years (loss of tv, bowl games, recruiting penalties). We may not suffer the death penalty for future infractions, but we certainly stand to relive the mediocrity of the '90's IF WE DON'T SHAPE UP AND RIGHT NOW MISTER! Fair or not.

Jello Biafra
7/11/2007, 10:22 PM
A school like OU would never be put on the death penalty because if that happened, someone for OU would get ready to take the NCAA down by suing them. It's the same with a Texas or any other bigger money school. It would mean the end to the NCAA as we know it.

eheh......they aren't afraid of congress......they certainly aren't scared of a few schools suing them..... get real.

LittleWingSooner
7/12/2007, 12:16 AM
You think a bigger budget school like OU, Texas, USC, Miami would just take a death penalty sitting down? Especially when that sport has put so much revenue for the state over the last 90 years?

OUstud
7/12/2007, 12:46 AM
nm

fwsooner22
7/12/2007, 09:25 AM

There is no such school.......what is North Texas State? It's the University of North Texas......you want to be called Miami State?;)