PDA

View Full Version : NCAA to announce OU decision today

Sooner24
7/11/2007, 09:47 AM
Thought this might get seen quicker over here.

http://newsok.com/article/3081119

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman
NORMAN -- The verdict is in.
The NCAA's Committee on Infractions will release its findings – and any further penalties – from an investigation into the Oklahoma football program this afternoon.

The announcement will bring to a close a process that began more than a year ago, when an anonymous e-mail tip led OU and the NCAA to begin investigating the employment of football players at Big Red Sports and Imports.

Major rules violations were discovered. In August 2006, OU dismissed quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn from the program after determining they had been paid for work they did not perform at the Norman car dealership.

The NCAA later determined a third player, former walk-on receiver Jermaine Hardison, had also been overpaid.

OU self-imposed penalties including the dismissal of Bomar and Quinn – and the loss of those scholarships – and the formal disassociation of former Big Red general manager Brad McRae from the OU athletic department. OU also reduced by one the number of football coachers allowed to recruit off-campus next fall and prohibited athletes from working at Big Red through the 2008-09 school year.

The NCAA could accept those sanctions or add more.

OU officials were called to a hearing with the Committee on Infractions last April. They contested the failure in monitoring charge, arguing OU's compliance department "met, if not exceeded, industry standards" and could not have been expected to catch players determined to cheat.

"It's very hard to devise any system that will catch deliberate violations," OU president David Boren said after the hearing.

Jerk
7/11/2007, 09:56 AM
Get ready to bend over:rolleyes:

Petro-Sooner
7/11/2007, 10:01 AM
I'm hearing rumors about the death penalty.

colleyvillesooner
7/11/2007, 10:06 AM
Don't even say that...

Petro-Sooner
7/11/2007, 10:06 AM
Don't even say that...

:D

1stTimeCaller
7/11/2007, 10:08 AM
that

colleyvillesooner
7/11/2007, 10:08 AM
:mad: Now you've done it...

King Crimson
7/11/2007, 10:13 AM
well, i've been reading on other boards (texags and some others) that all we'll get is a "slap on the wrist" for our systematic, institutionally endorsed cheating--because we are "one of the NCAA untouchables". that's the only reason we could consistently out-recruit, out-perform a great school like ATM with so much Tradition from the great state of Texas. :rolleyes:

yermom
7/11/2007, 10:20 AM
untouchable? what morons

anyway, i am nervous :(

usmc-sooner
7/11/2007, 10:46 AM
let's sacrifice Bomar that should appease them.

Osce0la
7/11/2007, 10:51 AM
I would think they wouldn't be too hard on OU considering the fact that you guys did everything you could to get to the bottom of it and then released the guilty parties. Hopefully nothing additional will come from the NCAA's decision...

OUDoc
7/11/2007, 10:59 AM
let's sacrifice Bomar that should appease them.
I hear we'll have a mandatory reduction of mascots.
We can only hope.

Petro-Sooner
7/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Oh please please please please.....We at least deserve that.

Osce0la
7/11/2007, 11:09 AM
The only problem with that is the NCAA is a bunch of a**holes, and they would likely get rid of the mascots you want to keep, while leaving you with the horsepigs...

Osce0la
7/11/2007, 11:19 AM
Actually, that may be OU's punishment...forcing OU to keep the horsepigs...

Sooner in Tampa
7/11/2007, 11:24 AM
I hate the ****ing NCAA!!!!

usmc-sooner
7/11/2007, 11:27 AM
Here's a picture of my sister. If you let us go you can have her. I hear she's quite good.

OKC-SLC
7/11/2007, 11:56 AM
I don't think it was mentioned above, but the conference call is scheduled for 2 p.m. (I assume eastern time).

mxATVracer10
7/11/2007, 12:02 PM
2pm hillbilly time :texan:

1stTimeCaller
7/11/2007, 12:08 PM
Here's a picture of my sister. If you let us go you can have her. I hear she's quite good.

she is

usmc-sooner
7/11/2007, 12:13 PM
she is

word

Beef
7/11/2007, 01:45 PM
How long before avatars are turned off? 2:01?

Beef
7/11/2007, 02:01 PM
The guests are coming! The guests are coming!

1stTimeCaller
7/11/2007, 02:02 PM
7pm

Scott D
7/11/2007, 02:05 PM
blah blah.....vacate record from 2005, 2 yrs added to probation and loss of 2 schollys the next two years.

HskrGrl
7/11/2007, 02:09 PM
You know how I know I spend too much time on SF? We have a subscription to HuskersIll. on Rivals and while I was reading the thread on there about the OU annoucement and people saying things like "Hope for the worst Husker fans"... I found myself wanting to reply with a big **** off dip****. :O

I really do hope for the best for you guys. I like good competition more than I like a fight where a team has one hand tied behind it's back.

usmc-sooner
7/11/2007, 02:16 PM
let's forfeit last year's Oregon game

Hot Rod
7/11/2007, 03:09 PM

Stop right there...and I'll bring back the sun.

Osce0la
7/11/2007, 03:13 PM
I think the refs already decided to forfeit that one for you...

Scott D
7/11/2007, 03:22 PM
You know how I know I spend too much time on SF? We have a subscription to HuskersIll. on Rivals and while I was reading the thread on there about the OU annoucement and people saying things like "Hope for the worst Husker fans"... I found myself wanting to reply with a big **** off dip****. :O

I really do hope for the best for you guys. I like good competition more than I like a fight where a team has one hand tied behind it's back.

that's because you have common sense, most message board jockeys do not ;)

Osce0la
7/11/2007, 03:48 PM
Can someone please explain how the win stripping is going to work? Are they only stripping the wins and leaving OU as 0-4 on the season, or are they wiping out the 2005 season completely as if OU had never played a game, leaving OU at 0-0? I'm getting mixed reports on this one...

Osce0la
7/11/2007, 04:25 PM
nevermind, found my answer on the football board...

Rogue
7/11/2007, 05:31 PM
That was my 2nd thought! :mad:

I'm torn between a complete meltdown and seceding from the NCAA and shrugging my shoulders.

From yahoo:

NCAA: Oklahoma must forfeit 2005 season

By MURRAY EVANS, Associated Press Writer
July 11, 2007

Oklahoma must erase its wins from the 2005 football season and will lose two scholarships for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 school years, the NCAA said Wednesday.

The penalties stem from a case involving two players, including the Sooners' starting quarterback, who were kicked off the team last August for being paid for work they had not performed at a Norman car dealership. The NCAA said Oklahoma was guilty of a "failure to monitor" the employment of the players.

Oklahoma President David Boren said the university will appeal the NCAA's "failure to monitor" finding and the ruling that Oklahoma must erase the wins from the 2005 season. Oklahoma has 15 days to notify the NCAA in writing of any such appeal.

The Sooners went 8-4 and beat Oregon in the Holiday Bowl to end the 2005 season. Records from that season involving quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn must be erased, the NCAA said, and coach Bob Stoops' career record will be amended to reflect the erased wins, dropping it from 86-19 in eight seasons to 78-19.

Oklahoma also will have two years of probation added to an earlier penalty, extending the Sooners' probation to May 23, 2010.

Those sanctions are in addition to those already self-imposed by Oklahoma, which has banned athletes from working at the car dealership until at least the 2008-09 academic year and moved to prevent the athletes' supervisor at the dealership, Brad McRae, from being involved with the university's athletics program until at least August 2011.

Oklahoma also will reduce the number of football coaches who are allowed to recruit off campus this fall. The Sooners also dismissed Bomar, Quinn and walk-on Jermaine Hardison from the team.

Paul Dee, the athletic director at Miami and the interim chairman of the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions, said Oklahoma will be allowed to keep the money it received for playing in the 2005 Holiday Bowl, because the NCAA does not regulate bowl games.

"Although this case centered on a few violations involving three student-athletes, the committee finds this case to be significant and serious for several reasons," the NCAA report said, noting the length of time of the violations and the fact that Oklahoma had appeared before the committee in April 2006 regarding violations in its men's basketball program.

On Aug. 3 — the day before the Sooners began preseason practice — Stoops dismissed Bomar and Quinn from the team after the university determined they had been paid for work not performed at Big Red Sports and Imports.

That led to an NCAA investigation, which found that Bomar, Quinn and Hardison had been paid for time they did not work at the car dealership and that Hardison received payment for time he spent participating in a scrimmage and spring game.

The players and McRae engaged "in a deliberate scheme to deceive both the employer's payroll system and the university's employment monitoring system in an attempt to violate NCAA rules of which they were real aware," the report stated.

The committee found that Oklahoma "demonstrated a failure to monitor" the employment of several athletes, including some football players who worked during the academic year. The NCAA said that failure led to the university not detecting NCAA rules violations.

During the investigation, the university disputed that allegation, arguing that the NCAA should applaud, not penalize, its efforts to root out violations and noted that NCAA president Myles Brand told one news outlet that the university "acted with integrity in taking swift and decisive action" in the case.

Dee said Wednesday that Oklahoma should be praised for quickly dismissing the players from the team, calling that action "very influential on the committee."

Still, the committee said that Oklahoma should have undertaken more extensive efforts to monitor the players' employment, because the dealership apparently was the largest employer of Oklahoma athletes.

Boren disagreed, saying in a statement that "any mistakes made by the athletic department compliance staff while monitoring would not have prevented the intentional wrongdoing by the student athletes and the employer involved."

Stoops said he "strongly supported" Boren's decision to appeal.

"Our current team is focused on the upcoming season," Stoops said. "The university is dealing with a matter that relates to the 2005 season. This group of players and those that will join our program later have no reason to be concerned about our goals or the direction of our program. Those things remain unchanged."

Both Bomar and Quinn lost a season of eligibility. Bomar has been ordered by the NCAA to pay back more than $7,400 in extra benefits to charity, while Quinn was told to pay back more than $8,100. Both players transferred to Division I-AA schools — Bomar to Sam Houston State and Quinn to Montana — where they can resume their careers this season.

Through Sam Houston State athletic department spokesman Paul Ridings, Bomar declined comment Wednesday.

Oklahoma officials also appeared before the Committee on Infractions in April 2006 following an investigation into hundreds of improper recruiting phone calls by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson's staff.

Oklahoma escaped major sanctions in that case, as the infractions committee also found the university guilty of a "failure to monitor," a less severe ruling than "lack of institutional control," which had been recommended by the NCAA's enforcement staff.

The committee mostly accepted the university's self-imposed sanctions, which included reductions in scholarships, recruiting calls and trips and visits to the school by prospective recruits.

Rogue
7/11/2007, 05:38 PM
Does this mean the NCAA is about to declare war on USC?

yermom
7/11/2007, 05:54 PM
i'd almost rather us just take it, move on and then wait to see what happens to USC

how many games did they play with Dwayne Jarrett living in Leinart's dad's pad? or while Bush's family had that agent's house?

Cam
7/11/2007, 06:25 PM
i'd almost rather us just take it, move on
Allow me to quote our IT and Reporting departments favorite line: It is what it is.

In other words, you're not going to change anything, so move on.

Such is life.

Scott D
7/11/2007, 07:34 PM
That was my 2nd thought! :mad:

I'm torn between a complete meltdown and seceding from the NCAA and shrugging my shoulders.

From yahoo:

every reporter that uses Forfeit is a moron that should be in politics with the rest of the natural born morons....the wins are Voided, not Forfeited.