PDA

View Full Version : Okay, the top 25 list had me thinking...

Big Red Ron
7/10/2007, 02:20 PM
Are baseball players, golfers and race care drivers actually athletes or just highly skilled people?

Beef
7/10/2007, 02:24 PM
Why do people always forget about bowlers?

Big Red Ron
7/10/2007, 02:32 PM
Why do people always forget about bowlers?I dunno, maybe it's all the ball wiping?

:O

Big Red Ron
7/10/2007, 03:20 PM
I was gonna say sitting down athletes are not athletes until I memembered the wheel chair folks racers.Me too, almost exactly what I thought about.

For me, I love Baseball but it just doesn't require much athletic ability. I mean the greatest baseball player ever has bragged about drinking a keg of beer between double headers and hitting home runs. There was also a pitcher that played a game on acid and almost had a no hitter.

Golfers, I just do not see as athletes at all. That doesn't mean that there aren't athletic guys who play, it just doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Car drivers, no. See golfers above.

royalfan5
7/10/2007, 10:52 PM
it depends on what you consider athletic ability. Race car drivers have extraordinary reflexes and perception, plus many of the races are physically demanding. Is athletic ability just running, jumping, and physical strength or is it other physical skills too?

critical_phil
7/10/2007, 11:03 PM
Golfers, I just do not see as athletes at all. That doesn't mean that there aren't athletic guys who play, it just doesn't seem to be a requirement.

yes, there are athletic guys who play golf and baseball.

tiger in golf. had earl wanted to make him a QB or a PG, he probably would've been a good one. i'm pretty sure Tits Mickelson wouldn't have.

in baseball, dave winfield was a freak. terry pendleton went about 5'9"/220 and could dunk a basketball. bo, deion, etc, etc, etc...

and i don't know/care enough about racing to comment on that.

JohnnyMack
7/11/2007, 11:33 AM
Baseball = Yes

Auto Racing = No

Golf = Some athletic people play golf, but for the most part, no

GrapevineSooner
7/11/2007, 12:33 PM
As a big Nascar fan, I'll freely admit that Nascar drivers probably shouldn't be considered athletes in the same vein as Football, Basketball, Baseball, or Hockey players. The only people in Nascar that could be compared to athletes in those four sports are the guys in the pit crew, IMO.

Still, not anyone can hop into a stock car and drive nearly every weekend for 9 months for between 3 to 4 hours per race (save for any wrecks or mechanical problems with the car causing a Did Not Finish result). In addition to having the skill to run 200 to 500 laps every race, you still have to be in somewhat decent physical condition.

If people want to call it a sport, that's fine with me.
If they don't consider it a sport, that's fine with me as well.

Big Red Ron
7/16/2007, 05:47 PM
Still, not anyone can hop into a stock car and drive nearly every weekend for 9 months for between 3 to 4 hours per race (save for any wrecks or mechanical problems with the car causing a Did Not Finish result). In addition to having the skill to run 200 to 500 laps every race, you still have to be in somewhat decent physical condition.

If people want to call it a sport, that's fine with me.
If they don't consider it a sport, that's fine with me as well.I would in a second for that kind of dough. It just seems you have to be born in the right family or have five first names to get the gig.;)

OUFan22
7/18/2007, 03:08 PM
I would in a second for that kind of dough. It just seems you have to be born in the right family or have five first names to get the gig.;)
Wrestling is the most demanding sport. Golf doesn't count as a sport. It is a skill and doesn't require any physical attributes except the ability to walk and grab a pole.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/18/2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah they were talking about on ESPN whether pro wrestling is a sport and I was thinking, this is the same station that shows hot dog eating contest, poker, or Paper, Rock Scissors...I kind of chuckled a little :P

OUFan22
7/19/2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah they were talking about on ESPN whether pro wrestling is a sport and I was thinking, this is the same station that shows hot dog eating contest, poker, or Paper, Rock Scissors...I kind of chuckled a little :P
I for one don't consider pro wrestling a sport, simply entertainment. It is fake. I was referring to collegiate wrestling. If you have ever done it you would agree.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/19/2007, 09:04 AM
Oh I don't consider it a sport at all...except college, but I am just saying I would consider The Undertaker more of an athlete than any hot dog eating champion ;)

OUFan22
7/19/2007, 10:41 AM
One could almost always say that each sport and/or leisure activity has it's share of good athletes. Simply stated, some of these sports and/or activities don't require one to be an athlete. Therein lies the difference between golf and actual sports.