PDA

View Full Version : PC noer bowters....

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2007, 09:50 AM
POS desktop presario. When I poosh the on button, it powers up for about 3 seconds and then shuts off. After about 30 time of going through this, it will stay on, but not boot up. The D & E drive flash for about 30 minutes, then you hear a beep and the monitor comes alive and shows the boot up. I leave it on, and after a day or so, it shuts down on it's own. WTF? TIA!

KABOOKIE
7/10/2007, 10:28 AM
Stop looking at pr0n or get a better virus blocker. YW.

MamaMia
7/10/2007, 10:29 AM
When that happened to me, it was the monitor. I had to get a new one. Before I did that though, I tried another monitor that I knew worked fine and was able to trace the problem that way.

TopDaugIn2000
7/10/2007, 10:32 AM
was it just a single beep, or a series of long and short beeps?

Jerk
7/10/2007, 10:32 AM
Mine does that when the power supply either goes out (which it does once a year:rolleyes:) or gets choked full of dust.

TopDaugIn2000
7/10/2007, 10:38 AM
if your processor is overheating it'll cause the auto shutoff.

NormanPride
7/10/2007, 10:39 AM
Power supply, it seems like. Might be overheating. If it's an old-*** computer, just get a new one because it might be more expensive to repair the old one.

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2007, 10:48 AM
was it just a single beep, or a series of long and short beeps? Only one beep like normal.

Power supply, it seems like. Might be overheating. If it's an old-*** computer, just get a new one because it might be more expensive to repair the old one.

Even after it's been off for a day or two, it still won't come on.

When that happened to me, it was the monitor. I had to get a new one. Before I did that though, I tried another monitor that I knew worked fine and was able to trace the problem that way.

You may be onto something there, but I don't have another monitor to check:mad:

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2007, 10:50 AM

Had it rebuilt over a year ago. New MB, CPU, video card and all that shiz nizzle.

NormanPride
7/10/2007, 10:50 AM
Is the PC fan whirring? Can you hear the Hard Drive start spinning up? If nothing happens when you press the power switch, it's either the Power Supply or the power switch connection to the motherboard, methinks.

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2007, 11:00 AM
Is the PC fan whirring? Can you hear the Hard Drive start spinning up? If nothing happens when you press the power switch, it's either the Power Supply or the power switch connection to the motherboard, methinks.

Yes, I can hear the fan and the HD grinding for all of 3-5 seconds before it shut's off.

NormanPride
7/10/2007, 11:20 AM
yeah, either a dying power supply or overheating, I'd say. No way to really know until you get it checked out by people with the right tools.

yermom
7/10/2007, 11:21 AM
yeah, that really doesn't sound like the monitor

Jerk
7/10/2007, 11:23 AM
It's over-heating if it goes off after it's been on awhile.

If you wake up in the morning, and turn it on, and nothing happens, it's the power supply.

btw- taking an air compressor nozzle to a computer can really do wonders. Make sure it's dry air.

GrapevineSooner
7/10/2007, 03:46 PM
It's over-heating if it goes off after it's been on awhile.

If you wake up in the morning, and turn it on, and nothing happens, it's the power supply.

btw- taking an air compressor nozzle to a computer can really do wonders. Make sure it's dry air.

Especially if you can blow out dust that might have settled in the grooves of the heat sink.

NormanPride
7/10/2007, 04:30 PM
Is the power cord all the way in? I hear Howzit has that problem sometimes.

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2007, 04:48 PM
Actually, the pwr cord IS all the way in. I alway's make sure of that. I just unplugged EVERYTHANG from the pc and powered it up. It powered right up. I hooked the monitor up, and it still powered right up, but nothing came up on the screen. I left the monitor hooked up and plugged in the keyboard and powered up.....and it shut down about three seconds after pooshing the button:mad:. I give up....mebbe a bonfar tonight.

SoonerAtKU
7/10/2007, 04:50 PM
Had it rebuilt over a year ago. New MB, CPU, video card and all that shiz nizzle.

If you added all of that without upgrading the packed-in power supply, you'll get overheating. Overheating leads to stuff like you're seeing after time. Dollars to doughnuts everyone here is right and it's the power supply.

Turd_Ferguson
7/10/2007, 05:07 PM
He did replace my power supply....however, I remember him having a problem with it fitting in my tower....here's the pic's if it helps.

http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mypc002oz1.jpg
http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mypc001de9.jpg

NormanPride
7/10/2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, that's not good... It might just be a bad PS as well.