PDA

View Full Version : and about China trying to poison us...

yermom
7/10/2007, 05:05 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070710/ap_on_re_as/china_tainted_products

:eek:

Chuck Bao
7/10/2007, 08:17 AM
If you are eating anything imported from China, you shouldn't be all :eek about it.

Ummm, they make the cheap stuff.

Thailand exports lots of food and pretty good stuff, or at least I haven't died yet.

Jerk
7/10/2007, 08:29 AM
Holy Sh** batman:eek:

Can you imagine if the beaurocrats had that same kind of accountability over here???

"Yeah, umm, Mr FDA guy, you delayed a lifesaving drug too long and it costs several thousand lives. Tomorrow morning at sunrise you will be blind-folded and shot"

ETA- I have no beef, per say, with the FDA. My post was for entertainment purposes only

Oh, and they beaurocrat who mandated 1.5 gallon toilets from the good old reliable 3.0:

"Tomorrow morning, at dawn, you will be bound and gagged, and flushed down a giant comode."

crawfish
7/10/2007, 09:36 AM
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

jk the sooner fan
7/10/2007, 09:49 AM
SHE'S A MAN BABYYYYYYYYYYYY

oh wait, wrong China.......

MamaMia
7/10/2007, 10:39 AM
In North America earlier this year, pet food containing Chinese wheat gluten tainted with the chemical melamine was blamed for the deaths of dogs and cats.

Since then, U.S. authorities have turned away or recalled toxic fish, juice containing unsafe color additives and popular toy trains decorated with lead paint.

Yan said the food and drug administration was working to strengthen its safety procedures. The administration has already announced a series of measures to tighten safety controls and closed factories where illegal chemicals or other problems were found.

But Yan acknowledged that her agency's supervision of food and drug safety remains unsatisfactory and that it has been slow to tackle the problem.

"China is a developing country and our supervision of food and drugs started quite late and our foundation for this work is weak, so we are not optimistic about the current food and drug safety situation," Yan said.

Chinese officials have already said the country faces social unrest and a further tarnished image abroad unless it improves the quality and safety of its food and medicine.

Last week, China's food safety watchdog said almost 20 percent of products made for domestic consumption were found to be substandard in the first half of 2007.

China has also stepped up its inspections of imported products and said some U.S. products are not safe.

In the latest case, the official Xinhua News Agency reported Tuesday that a shipment of sugar-free drink mix from the United States had been rejected for having too much red dye.Thats enough information to keep me away from everything Chinese. :eek:

jk the sooner fan
7/10/2007, 10:40 AM
Thats enough information to keep me away from everything Chinese. :eek:

even the buffets?

Jerk
7/10/2007, 10:47 AM
Thats enough information to keep me away from everything Chinese. :eek:

From a guy on another forum:

"They'll kill this fellow, and wake up the next day, only to continue mixing ingredients for Catfood, Melamine plastic, knock off Motrin, cynauric acid, toothpaste, wheat gluten, and antifreeze in the same equipment without washing it.

Dead and sick people and pets will follow.

rinse and repeat."

True or not, I don't know...but kind of funny.

MamaMia
7/10/2007, 12:01 PM
even the buffets?
Anything and everything. I wonder if any of that poison is being peddled to their own people here in Oklahoma in those Chinese markets off Classen?

RacerX
7/10/2007, 12:07 PM
mama - I think it was Vietnam, within the past 5 years, using formaldehyde in their noodle making process, for their own citizens.

RacerX
7/10/2007, 12:34 PM
Ok, it was 7 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/592010.stm

Wednesday, 5 January, 2000, 15:36 GMT
Vietnam noodle fright

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/590000/images/_592010_noodle300.jpg
Hanoi's noodle bars have emptied in the wake of the scare

Vietnamese health authorities have cracked down on food producers after finding a chemical used for embalming bodies in noodles. The authorities said noodle producers, mainly in Hanoi and in Ho Chi Minh City, have been adding formaldehyde to fresh noodles to lengthen their shelf-life and enhance flavour.
Formaldehyde is normally used for preserving dead bodies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/590000/images/_592010_fish150.jpg
Formaldehyde is also used to perserve specimens

Following an emergency meeting, the government announced that it would tighten food production regulations and introduce compulsory registration of noodle-makers. Those found to violate health standards would be fined and shut down.
People have been warned not to eat the contaminated noodles, as consuming the chemical over long periods of time can increase the risk of cancer.
The BBC's East Asia reporter, Clare Arthurs, said blanket coverage of the food scare had emptied the usually busy restaurants and street stalls selling the traditional noodle soup, pho.
The soup, a favourite in the north of the country, is enriched with chicken, beef or pork and fresh herbs, and spiked with additives such as formaldehyde, colouring and chemicals to make the noodles chewy.
Local media reported that formaldehyde had been smuggled into Vietnam and sold widely for as little as 5,000 dong (30 cents) a litre.
Exporters said the chemical was not used in dry noodles sold for overseas markets.

RacerX
7/10/2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp?id=2172

VIETNAM: Formaldehyde in rice noodles prompts wide-scale food scare (07 January 2000)

The discovery that many rice noodle producers have been adding formaldehyde to their products in order to lengthen shelf life has prompted government officials to hold an emergency meeting.

According to the Saigon Times Daily, restaurants serving the Vietnamese 'national dish' pho have seen "a staggering drop in customers". Until the food scare, which erupted in December following inspections by Ho Chin Minh City's Preventive Health Centre, the rice noodle-based dish was a staple in the daily diet of many.
The inspections in Ho Chi Minh City were prompted by the action of an employee of one rice noodle producer who was concerned about her employers' use of an unknown chemical. Formaldehyde is banned for use as a food preservative. Long-term health effects from exposure to the chemical include liver, nerve and kidney damage. The chemical is used to preserve products such as cosmetics and to embalm bodies or preserve body parts for medical purposes.
Thus far, many rice noodle producers in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City have been found to have used formaldehyde and several have been closed down as a result. An emergency meeting of Vietnam's ministries of Health and Trade has led to the imposition of a 1 March deadline for nationwide inspections of rice noodle and rice pancake producers.

MamaMia
7/10/2007, 12:48 PM
mama - I think it was Vietnam, withing the past 5 years, using formaldehyde in their noodle making process, for their own citizens.
Okay, thats it. I shall never eat foreign food again! :eek:

Chuck Bao
7/10/2007, 12:53 PM
That's like a 7-year old news flash?

RacerX
7/10/2007, 12:54 PM
That's what I prefaced it with.

Chuck Bao
7/10/2007, 01:02 PM
Good Gawd! You're right.

With all of the formaldehyde and alcohol, I'm probably already pickled.

RacerX
7/12/2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html

BEIJING, China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.
http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/art.cardboardfood.jpg
Steamed buns sold in Beijing contain 60 percent cardboard, a report on China Central Television said.

The report, aired late Wednesday on China Central Television, highlights the country's problems with food safety despite government efforts to improve the situation.

Countless small, often illegally run operations exist across China and make money cutting corners by using inexpensive ingredients or unsavory substitutes. They are almost impossible to regulate.

State TV's undercover investigation features the shirtless, shorts-clad maker of the buns, called baozi, explaining the contents of the product sold in Beijing's sprawling Chaoyang district.

Baozi are a common snack in China, with an outer skin made from wheat or rice flour and and a filling of sliced pork. Cooked by steaming in immense bamboo baskets, they are similar to but usually much bigger than the dumplings found on dim sum menus familiar to many Americans.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork.

The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.
Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda -- a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap -- then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. Fatty pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in. Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."

The police eventually showed up and shut down the operation.

E-mail to a friend (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html#) http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/util/email.gif
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press (http://www.cnn.com/interactive_legal.html#AP). All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

royalfan5
7/12/2007, 01:20 PM
Okay, thats it. I shall never eat foreign food again! :eek:
Of course there is plenty of contaminated U.S. grown food every year too.

Paperclip
7/12/2007, 02:08 PM
China's a billion years old. How are they a "developing country"?

royalfan5
7/12/2007, 02:09 PM
China's a billion years old. How are they a "developing country"?
Developing refers to their economy.

StoopTroup
7/12/2007, 02:09 PM
I'm having a cardboard quesadilla right now.

Jimminy Crimson
7/12/2007, 02:21 PM
Developing refers to their economy.

:les:IT SHOULD ALREADY BE DEVELOPED!!!!11!1!

royalfan5
7/12/2007, 02:22 PM
:les:IT SHOULD ALREADY BE DEVELOPED!!!!11!1!
but it isn't, so the term stays.

RacerX
7/12/2007, 03:49 PM
I'm having a cardboard quesadilla right now.

mmmmm, chewy.