PDA

View Full Version : Business Causual for Job Interview?

royalfan5
7/9/2007, 09:53 AM
I have an interview with a major worldwide farm equipment manufacturer tomorrow. I was told explicitly that I was to not wear a suit. What is good business casual outfit to wear for an interview. Any colors I should avoid, stuff like that. TIA.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/9/2007, 09:54 AM
Wear a pair of khakis and a nice polo type shirt.

Soonrboy
7/9/2007, 09:55 AM
wear shoes, too.

Jimminy Crimson
7/9/2007, 09:57 AM
Overalls and a sleeveless t-shirt with clean boots.

You did say farm equiptment, right?

;)

King Crimson
Dickies.

TopDaugIn2000
spandex

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/9/2007, 09:58 AM
Is it John Deere? Then wear John Deere green.

Ross33
7/9/2007, 09:58 AM
Who told you not to wear a suit?

Did that person just tell you not to wear a suit, or did he/she tell you to wear business casual (there are options in between "business casual" and a suit)?

I would be very surprised if business casual is appropriate for an interview.

Okla-homey
7/9/2007, 10:01 AM
Twill khakis, loafers (with socks) and a nice, starched long-sleeve dress shirt (open collar.) Make sure your belt and shoes match.

Note: While I understand "long-sleeve" and "dress shirt" is redundant...unfortunately, it needs to be said these days.

Also, get a manicure and a haircut. Trust me.

sooner_born_1960
7/9/2007, 10:02 AM
If you wear a suit, you'll be the only one in the room with a suit on. Wear whatever you'd wear when you are not wearing jeans.

sooner_born_1960
7/9/2007, 10:03 AM
It's summer. Long sleeves are not necessary.

M
7/9/2007, 10:04 AM
Ahh, a farm equipment manufacturing job. This situation calls for...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/phatfarm.jpg

Phat Farm! ;)

colleyvillesooner
7/9/2007, 10:11 AM
I would go with the khacki's polo/button down idea.

My guess on the no suit is they might walk around or do something that would be limited in a suit?

TexasLidig8r
7/9/2007, 10:26 AM
It's summer. Long sleeves are not necessary.

au contraire Pierre.... on an interview, where it's business casual, a long sleeve dress shirt should be required. Since presumably no tie will be worn, you can go with a button down.

Your slacks should have a razor sharp crease.. polish the shoes... socks that come up high enough so no leg skin (and hair) show.. ever.

as for a short sleeve dress shirt... there is no such thing... ever.

Okla-homey
7/9/2007, 10:30 AM
au contraire Pierre.... on an interview, where it's business casual, a long sleeve dress shirt should be required. Since presumably no tie will be worn, you can go with a button down.

Your slacks should have a razor sharp crease.. polish the shoes... socks that come up high enough so no leg skin (and hair) show.. ever.

as for a short sleeve dress shirt... there is no such thing... ever.

amen.

and as far as the "polo" option goes, if you're not golf pro or actually playing polo, keep it out of the office.

sooner_born_1960
7/9/2007, 10:44 AM
There you have it, Royalfan. Pick whichever advice you want. Let us know how it goes.

TopDaugIn2000
7/9/2007, 10:46 AM
http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/store/Vendor17/fullscale/OSE1CPPO-c.jpg

Scott D
7/9/2007, 10:50 AM
amen.

and as far as the "polo" option goes, if you're not golf pro or actually playing polo, keep it out of the office.

you are going to find the private sector vedy vedy interesting when you finish your schooling.

1stTimeCaller
7/9/2007, 10:57 AM
Slacks and a nice long sleeve shirt that you had pressed at the cleaners for the interview.

Every company is different. When you get the job the key is to dress like everyone else does.

If everyone wears jeans and polo shirts to work in you should not wear a suit to work, ever.

sooner_born_1960
7/9/2007, 11:03 AM
you are going to find the private sector vedy vedy interesting when you finish your schlong.
:eek:

royalfan5
7/9/2007, 11:18 AM

Did that person just tell you not to wear a suit, or did he/she tell you to wear business casual (there are options in between "business casual" and a suit)?

The HR lady who is interviewing me told me not to wear a suit.

Petro-Sooner
7/9/2007, 11:20 AM
Good luck

royalfan5
7/9/2007, 11:20 AM
Is it John Deere? Then wear John Deere green.
No, but green is one of their colors, but the most well known of their equipment is marketed under a very well known American Companies colors.

Okla-homey
7/9/2007, 01:03 PM
you are going to find the private sector vedy vedy interesting when you finish your schooling.

Why? No one I presently work with wears short-sleeved shirts. And that is a sample size of about 40.

TexasLidig8r
7/9/2007, 01:11 PM
Why? No one I presently work with wears short-sleeved shirts. And that is a sample size of about 40.

Yes.. your choices will range from.. as an associate.... Jos A Bank, or Brooks Bros, or Ralph Lauren suit to work.. and then, as a partner.. Armani or Zegna.. or Oxford suit.

Of course, the daily decision of french cuff or barrel cuff can be a tester as well....

Oh.. and never, a button down shirt with a suit.

Petro-Sooner
7/9/2007, 01:16 PM
What do you mean never a button down shirt with a suit? Are you saying no to a long sleeved dress shirt? You throwing me here.

proud gonzo
7/9/2007, 01:18 PM
If you wear a suit, you'll be the only one in the room with a suit on. Wear whatever you'd wear when you are not wearing jeans. that leaves a lot of leeway and makes very little sense to me...

Norm In Norman
7/9/2007, 01:19 PM

Although I haven't had a successful interview in a while (I've only had three in my life though), I'd say most computer people aren't required to wear suits to an interview. In fact, I've heard of people getting programming jobs and they were dressed casual at the interview. I guess it depends on the type of company.

Petro-Sooner
7/9/2007, 01:23 PM
Does business casual mean chinos or strictly dress slacks? Casual Friday chinos would be fine?

1stTimeCaller
7/9/2007, 01:36 PM
button down refers to the collar. true dress shirts don't button down at the collar, they have 'stays' or whatever you call the plastic things you insert into the collar.

If you work in a law firm you should probably wear a suit and tie. If you work for an oilfield service company and not one person in the office wears a suit or tie you may not want to wear a suit and tie. If you work for a construction company and not one person in the office that houses both your district and the entire US operations wears a suit and tie to work you may not want to wear one there either.

1stTimeCaller
7/9/2007, 01:39 PM
By the way, when I interviewed for my current position the HR lady told me that I was the only person she had seen wear a suit and tie when interviewing for an MWD position. I had also interviewed for a sales position and that's why I had the suit on.

Unless you are told not to or you just know that in your industry/position that you don't need to wear a suit and tie to interview you should wear one. Most often it's better to be over dressed than under dressed.

royalfan5
7/9/2007, 01:46 PM
I was just doing research on the company, and they sell overalls with their brand and color scheme. Perhaps that's a sign.

Scott D
7/9/2007, 03:03 PM

because it still varies from company to company. 1tc pretty much covered it, and there are companies who state in their dress code that there is a relative preference allowed to wear polo shirts during warmer months if not year round. It all comes back to what kind of environment they want to set, and how they feel it may or may not affect productivity.

def_lazer_fc
7/9/2007, 03:23 PM
at my work, it is pretty much khakis and a polo shirt. when a friend of mine came for an interview, everyone thought he was a salesman b/c of his suit. but keep in mind, the avg age at my work is probably late 20's.

also, i think companies should ban the use of suits in the summer time. no one wants to wear an undershirt, a button up shirt, and a jacket when it feels like its damn near 100 degrees outside.

Penguin
7/9/2007, 03:26 PM
Don't use your mom as a reference. For some reason, companies don't take it seriously.

OU Adonis
7/9/2007, 03:38 PM
.....Make sure your belt and shoes match........Also, get a manicure and a haircut. Trust me.

I didn't realize you were gay Homey, NTTISWWT. JK :D

In all seriousness. There is nothing worse than seeing a dirty shirt or dirty nails in an interview.

GottaHavePride
7/9/2007, 07:18 PM
button down refers to the collar. true dress shirts don't button down at the collar, they have 'stays' or whatever you call the plastic things you insert into the collar.

Real collar stays are metal. ;)

Oh, and who cares if you're wearing a suit when it's 100 degrees outside? Most jobs where you wear suits are indoors and climate-controlled.

Soonerfan88
7/9/2007, 07:35 PM
The general rule is your interview attire should be one level above the standard business dress of the company, which in this case sounds like khakis and polos.

I would recommend a button shirt (long sleeves, why this has become a question I'll never understand) and nice slacks with loafers - no tie but maybe a sport coat if the weather is cooler. Yes, your belt should match your shoes and your socks should match either your slacks or shoes.

And no smart alecky comments, I'm female.

VeeJay
7/9/2007, 08:49 PM
If the HR lady says no suit, then no suit.

I'd wear slacks (dress, not khaki) and a long sleeve button down dress shirt.

At my last interview in Feb. in Minneapolis, I wore a suit knowing I'd be the only person in the building with one on. Absent of a request not to wear a suit such as what you received, that is standard dress for an interview.

I think the more important aspect is how you demonstrate your abilities, ideas, and how you can help make the company more efficient, and subsequently, more profitable. Let them know you have initiative, and are not afraid to assume leadership on special projects.

And, of course, you'll need to whistle at the hot chicks and ask the hiring manager if there's a topless joint close by for lunch.

Good luck!

OKC-SLC
7/9/2007, 09:54 PM
No, but green is one of their colors
That settles it--a green thong.

Shoes if there will be a lot of walking.

GottaHavePride
7/9/2007, 11:15 PM
FYI, "slacks" never refers to "khakis". "Khakis" are actually chinos - khaki is just the color chinos are usually dyed.

1stTimeCaller
7/9/2007, 11:28 PM
if the dress is business casual, chinos are fine

StoopTroup
7/10/2007, 03:20 AM
http://www.torso.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/businesscasual.jpg

Mjcpr
7/10/2007, 07:30 AM
We've got more chinos in Tulsa than you can shake a stick at.

royalfan5
7/10/2007, 11:44 AM
I looked sharp, and the interview went well, but I have to wait until they have an opening. On the upside they should have a big year, and may be in a position to expand in the fall, which would dovetail nicely with the interim option.

Mjcpr
7/10/2007, 12:21 PM
I have to wait until they have an opening.

A lot of times, that's how the hiring process works.