PDA

View Full Version : Update...

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 08:37 AM
Well, i called the vet this morning to see how "Missy" was doing and he stated that she passed away last night...So this is a great beginning to my wedding week. I can handle the loss of a dog, calling my fiance at her work and telling her that Missy wasnt gonna be coming home freakin killed me..I guess this is my fault in that i took the dog in and shoulda taken her straight to the vet to get her shots, but hell what can i do now about it other than learn from it..

Now the rant...Ok, yeah it was my fault the dog got Parvo, i know that..I knew that when i put $250 down to try to cure her..I knew i was gonna lose that money wether the dog survived or not..But comon now, the dog died and your gonna tell me that you can dispose of the body for $25 more?!?! F**K YOU! How bout you do it for free since i just dropped a crap load of money and had to tell my fiance that the dog she loved is dead and you wanna charge me $25 more? How bout this, i'll come get the damn dog and bury the guy myself..The insensitive bastards really got me going this morning and im trying to cool down before i go get the dog...

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2007, 08:38 AM
how is it your fault she got parvo?

:(

sorry dude, that really sucks....

TopDaugIn2000
7/9/2007, 08:50 AM
so sorry to hear that NS. so sorry.

and that's a pretty sh!tty thing for the vet to do.

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 08:58 AM
I figure its my fault since my common sense told me as soone as i took the dog in that i should take her to the vet. I didnt have the money at the time so i didnt, and thus she did get the shot that woulod have prevented this crap...Im really dreading the fiance coming home tonight, as i dont know what im gonna say..

jk the sooner fan
7/9/2007, 08:59 AM
if she already had parvo, i doubt there's much you could have done about it

dont be so hard on yourself, even if you had taken the dog in sooner, there are no guarantee's she would have made it

Scott D
7/9/2007, 09:05 AM
Sucks that you lost the dog. Sucks even more that you had to call and find out a day later. However, to be honest $25 is nothing compared to some places.

and I'm with jk, if the dog had Parvo when you took it in then the clock was already ticking and there wasn't much you could have done about it.

OUinFLA
7/9/2007, 09:23 AM
it's not your fault.

Soonrboy
7/9/2007, 09:25 AM
Sorry man...paying someone 25 bucks to get rid of the body sounds like a good deal to me. It sucks shelling out that much money and then losing her.

Get rid of all the toys and stuff she had..don't save it for another dog unless you do the bleach wash on them.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/9/2007, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear that. I can't remember if my vet charged me or not when my dog was cremated 2 years ago.

MamaMia
7/9/2007, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. This is something that was given to me a few years ago when we're were devastated over the loss of our little dog. It gave us great comfort in our time of sorrow.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Scott D
7/9/2007, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear that. I can't remember if my vet charged me or not when my dog was cremated 2 years ago.

from what I remember, you may have gotten a discount on that (due to being a long time "visitor"). Most places seem to run between $30 and $300 depending on the size of the dog, and if it's cremated alone.

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 11:14 AM
Well, i prolly just made another stupid decision, but i put her in a rubber tub,put the lid on it and used duct tape to seal it and buried her in the back yard...

And on the $25 cremation, yeah maybe it is a good deal, but i didnt appreciate the tone in which it was conveyed to me. It was like they were trying to sell me something..You know how you go into the Buckle at the mall and you try something on and then while your in the dressing room they keep throwing crap over at you to try on...I mean really, if i want that service i will ask for it...

I really feel sorry for people who come into contact with me today, im gonna be a real a** to get along with..

ChickSoonerFan
7/9/2007, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear this happened, especially right before your wedding.

Parvo is horrible. Easily prevented with a vaccine but once it starts, it would have been too late.

In a tub? I usually just wrap our beloved pet in a towel or blanket when our pets die and let nature take its course. And hope they are deep enough. I hope that is ok.

:)

Sorry, again.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/9/2007, 11:33 AM
Well does she want a new dog..find out what type of puppy she wants if she does. Find out how much it is going to cost and since I haven't bothered to go get you a wedding present yet, I would be willing to get her the dog she wants as long as it isn't like one of those 12,000 dollar dogs. Then think of it as starting your family ;)

LilSooner
7/9/2007, 11:37 AM
Oh man I'm so sorry! That sucks so much. Was she a puppy? I thought that parvo was a puppy disease.

TopDaugIn2000
7/9/2007, 11:37 AM
this reminds me....Lucy needs her 2nd parvo shot

SoonerGirl06
7/9/2007, 11:38 AM
Doesn't Olevet have some puppies he's trying to get rid of.

I'm sure they're in excellent health....

As far as dropping cash on a dog... my ex and I dropped about $1000 on his beloved dog of 10 years when she died. The vet wanted to charge us another $200 to dispose of her. He decided to take her up to his moms and bury her on their property instead. His mom planted Forget-Me-Nots on top of her gravesite.

I thought that was a nice gesture...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/9/2007, 11:40 AM
Well, i prolly just made another stupid decision, but i put her in a rubber tub,put the lid on it and used duct tape to seal it and buried her in the back yard...

And on the $25 cremation, yeah maybe it is a good deal, but i didnt appreciate the tone in which it was conveyed to me. It was like they were trying to sell me something..You know how you go into the Buckle at the mall and you try something on and then while your in the dressing room they keep throwing crap over at you to try on...I mean really, if i want that service i will ask for it...

I really feel sorry for people who come into contact with me today, im gonna be a real a** to get along with..That's not stupid. We buried my doxie/pekingnese mix in a toolbox in my parents' backyard. I made a gravestone from a patio stone kit I bought at Hobby Lobby.

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 12:13 PM
Well does she want a new dog..find out what type of puppy she wants if she does. Find out how much it is going to cost and since I haven't bothered to go get you a wedding present yet, I would be willing to get her the dog she wants as long as it isn't like one of those 12,000 dollar dogs. Then think of it as starting your family ;)

I think that we do want another dog for sure, but Missy was throwing up and stuff inside the house while she had parvo. I dont want to get another dog that could get parvo from the house.

Missy was a puppy i believe. We took her in when it was sleeting and snowing back in march so i dont know if she ever had her shots. I just assumed she did based off of her behavior. She definitely had no fear and my bigger dog loved her also..Man they were the team..
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/P2050023.jpg

LilSooner
7/9/2007, 12:36 PM
Awww I'm so sorry, but it was definitely NOT your fault whatsoever.

sanantoniosooner
7/9/2007, 12:41 PM
If it was your fault you probably wouldn't be the type of person sharing on this site about it.

Sorry to hear about it.

Jimminy Crimson
7/9/2007, 12:46 PM
Here's to Missy! Milk Bones for life...

BajaOklahoma
7/9/2007, 01:12 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. While the shots MAY have prevented her getting Parvo, not all dogs build up an immunity to it. Some dogs are going to get it, shots or not.
You gave her a good life while you had her, better than she would have had if you hadn't.

Deep breath. Has your other dog received shots for Parvo lately?

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 01:24 PM
Im my opinon YES you did do a stupid thing . The Parvo virus will stay in your yard for 5 years or More , shoulda let the Vet cremate her .
Aint no way your gonna get one of My puppies less you can guarantee that youve had your place treated some way .
Sorry about your loss But please Learn from it .

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 01:56 PM
Im my opinon YES you did do a stupid thing . The Parvo virus will stay in your yard for 5 years or More , shoulda let the Vet cremate her .
Aint no way your gonna get one of My puppies less you can guarantee that youve had your place treated some way .
Sorry about your loss But please Learn from it .

Excuse my ignorance, but your telling me that the dead dog that is inside a bag, inside a plastic tub, buried in the ground is gonna spread the virus? I mean if thats the case than ill dig the dog up and dispose of her elswhere..I dont really remember asking for one of YOUR puppies, but thanks for saving me the time and letting me know that i cant have one.

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 02:02 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but your telling me that the dead dog that is inside a bag, inside a plastic tub, buried in the ground is gonna spread the virus? I mean if thats the case than ill dig the dog up and dispose of her elswhere..I dont really remember asking for one of YOUR puppies, but thanks for saving me the time and letting me know that i cant have one.
Thats pretty much it , do a google on Parvo and Please make sure any and all animals are vacinated

BajaOklahoma
7/9/2007, 02:07 PM
Vet, according to what I've read, the house and yard are risk for 6 months.

Norman obviously cared/cares about Missy. I not perfect and made some decisions for my pets and kids that I regret to this day. My first OES, Maudie, loved grapes and we even bought them just for her. She died of renal failure. guess what? I've recently learned that grapes/raisins cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. I am responsible for killing my dog, intentional or not. and I have to live with that.

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 02:08 PM
PS the virus is already in your yard and House so it aint gonna make a dif now If you dig her up or not ,. Just as I aked please make sure any future animals are vacinated befor exposing them to your Place and make sure folks that Might visit with animals Know to have thiers Vacinated as well .
Like I said befor Ive lost 2 to that crap and I hate to see any animal exposed .

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 02:11 PM
Vet, according to what I've read, the house and yard are risk for 6 months.

Norman obviously cared/cares about Missy. I not perfect and made some decisions for my pets and kids that I regret to this day. My first OES, Maudie, loved grapes and we even bought them just for her. She died of renal failure. guess what? I've recently learned that grapes/raisins cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. I am responsible for killing my dog, intentional or not. and I have to live with that.
Maybe Im coming across to harsh sounding , If so I appoligise .
But from what ive read its 5 yrs . But I may be wrong . I just know Its not worth takin a chance with .
And we all learn as we go along . I was just trying give some helpful Info .

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 02:13 PM
Ok, so again i plead ignorance...Is it 5 years, like you say and the vet that i took missy(he said 30 years), or is it the typical 3-9 month range that you see when you google Parvo? Also, what is the best way to treat Parvo inside the house on colored carpet? I knoww you bleach the outside, but what about the carpet?

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 02:19 PM
I dont know the answers , I had always heard 5 yrs or longer . You should be able to find something color safe to disenfect it with . But the main thing is to Make sure to Vacinate BEFOR Bringin any New animal home . And Make sure you give it time to work , as in Not getiin the new animal its shot that day then bringing it home .
After talking about this Im going to the Co-op today and getting the Meds to vacinate the puppies . They are so cute Id hate to see em get that crap .
Good luck bro

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 02:25 PM
Alright, thanks for the help. You should be please to know that my other dog has had his shots and now he is just ****ed cause he knows somethng is wrong so he just gets up eats and drinks his water and lays on the couch staring off into space...And occasionally has a brain fart and thinks he 80 pd fat butt is a lap dog..

TexasSooner01
7/9/2007, 02:30 PM
I bought a lil puppy once that had parvo. He didnt act sick but I found out the next day when i took it to the vet for its shots. The Vet told me he had a 40% chance of living so i tried to save him. it was the most horrible thing to watch, I eventually had him put to sleep. then when i lost him the vet told me that i couldnt get another dog/puppy for at the very least 1 year b/c the virus lives inside the carpet and grass/dirt for anywhere between 6-9 months.

I was so hurt i turned the lady i bought him from into the ASPCA. They shut her down real quick.

Sorry for your loss. My dawgs are just like my kiddos. I understand your loss.

BajaOklahoma
7/9/2007, 02:31 PM
The vaccine needs 2-3 weeks to become effective.
I had my three in the vet's office this morning. Tomorrow I have to go back for my son's cat and I will my ask vet. He is a great guy - not prone to panic, but conservative. I trust him.

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 02:50 PM
The vaccine needs 2-3 weeks to become effective.
I had my three in the vet's office this morning. Tomorrow I have to go back for my son's cat and I will my ask vet. He is a great guy - not prone to panic, but conservative. I trust him.
Thats what I was thinkin On the time for the Vac. to be effective
Oh and Norman , fence the area off where yuou buried her and just hose it down every now an then

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 03:21 PM
Im gonna go home and pour a whole bottle of b;leach around the area where i buried her...some good ole fashion bleach treatment shold do the trick dont ya think?

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 03:25 PM
Im gonna go home and pour a whole bottle of b;leach around the area where i buried her...some good ole fashion bleach treatment shold do the trick dont ya think?
Hell if I know , But I bet it kills the grass:D
really tho just put a lil decorative fence around her and spray that area every now an then

TexasSooner01
7/9/2007, 03:26 PM

How deep did ya burry her? I would think that if it was 3-4 feet it should be fine. I would worry about the areas she used the bathroom.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/9/2007, 03:28 PM
From a quick Google search (www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm (http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm)):
Clean up all the dog's stools in your yard.
Use a 1:30 ratio of chlorine bleach and water to clean food and water bowls (4 oz. in 1 gallon of water). Wash any bedding the dog has been in contact with in this same bleach solution and hot water. You should also try to disinfect any other areas that the dog has been, like linoleum, concrete kennels, crates, etc.
If you have any other dogs that are two years old or younger, or who have never been vaccinated for parvo, please bring them in for a booster as soon as possible.

If you have had parvo in your home, use a strong bleach/water solution to kill it. Soak the yard with it -- better to kill the grass than your next dog! Be careful using it on carpets and fabrics, though. Parvo can live up to 6 months or so in your home or yard. Before you bring home another dog, be sure it has a strong immunity to parvo. You can have a veterinarian draw blood and run a titre to find out how well your prospective dog will fare in a parvo-infected environment. Adult dogs generally have a higher resistance than puppies do, but they need to be kept current on their vaccines. If in doubt, have your vet do the titre.

Norman Sooner
7/9/2007, 03:29 PM
Hell if I know , But I bet it kills the grass:D
really tho just put a lil decorative fence around her and spray that area every now an then

Ok, not trying to sound rude, just trying to learn as much as possible...But, if you dont know about the bleach, what is the purpose of the fence and spraying the area down??? Man, my ignorance is really showing today..

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 03:32 PM
There ya go
Did it say how old they have to be befor vacinatin em ?
These pups are about 10 weeks or so . Im wondering if they may still be to young ?

olevetonahill
7/9/2007, 03:34 PM
Ok, not trying to sound rude, just trying to learn as much as possible...But, if you dont know about the bleach, what is the purpose of the fence and spraying the area down??? Man, my ignorance is really showing today..
The fence thingy is Just a thot to keep other pets away from the area , In case the virus does stay around longer
Im no expert on this stuff , I just love dogs and was thinkin prevention , for the future puppies