PDA

View Full Version : OU #1 PROGRAM OF MODERN ERA 1946-2006

soonerfaninfla
7/8/2007, 03:48 PM
OU #1 Program of the Modern Era
Courtesy: SoonerSports.com Release: 07/12/2006

Winningest Program of Modern Era

NORMAN | Oklahoma is the winningest program in what is widely considered the modern era of college football. OU has the most victories and best winning percentage of any team since the end of World War II.

The Sooners have earned seven AP National Championships in that span and are recognized by the NCAA for 16 titles. OU has spent more weeks ranked in the top five (342) of the poll than any other team and is tied with Notre Dame for most weeks ran ked No. 1 (95). The AP poll began in 1936.

Updated | January 11, 2007

Victories, 1946-2006
1. Oklahoma 524
2. Alabama 492
3. Nebraska 494
Penn State 494
5. Texas 491
6. Ohio State 484
7. Michigan 481
8. Tennessee 475
9. Southern Cal 469
10. Notre Dame 467

Winning Percentage, 1946-2006
1. Oklahoma .761 (524-160-13)
2. Ohio State .743 (484-160-20)
3. Penn State .734 (494-176-9)
4. Michigan .729 (481-174-15)
5. Texas .714 (491-193-11)
6. Nebraska .710 (494-199-9)
7. Alabama .706 (492-199-20)
8. Notre Dame .704 (467-192-14)
9. Tennessee .695 (475-201-24)
10. USC .694 (469-200-23)

Weeks Ranked Top 5 in AP Poll
1. Oklahoma 342
2. Nebraska 294
3. Ohio State 288
4. Notre Dame 276
5. Michigan 271
6. USC 267
7. Texas 252
8. Alabama 243
9. Florida State 204
10. Miami (Fla.) 201

Weeks Ranked No. 1 in AP Poll
1. Oklahoma 95
Notre Dame 95
3. Ohio State 88
4. Southern Cal 81
5. Nebraska 70
6. Miami (Fla.) 68
7. Florida State 59
8. Texas 42
9. Michigan 34
10. Alabama 31

Stitch Face
7/8/2007, 04:07 PM
Victories, 1946-2006
1. Oklahoma 524
2. Alabama 492
3. Nebraska 494

Typical 'Bama, squeakin' into 2nd place with fewer victories that #3.

Sooner_Bob
7/8/2007, 04:11 PM
Typical 'Bama, squeakin' into 2nd place with fewer victories that #3.

:D

Rogue
7/8/2007, 04:27 PM
About any honest top 10 list has those same teams in it.

Thanks for posting that.

okstateguy987
7/8/2007, 10:22 PM
also the #1 program in cheating and NCAA probations in the modern era, man, i would be soooo proud of that.....

Big Red Ron
7/8/2007, 10:24 PM
I'm pretty sure we passed Nebraska for weeks ranked number one by a week.

Big Red Ron
7/8/2007, 10:27 PM
also the #1 program in cheating and NCAA probations in the modern era, man, i would be soooo proud of that.....Wrong, OSU, Notre Dame, UT, FSU, SMU, Alabama, Tenn., Miami, USC all have pretty much the same amount of issues. Okie State's is worse because you couldn't win even though Jimmy and Pat were paying cold hard cash. Maybe Bundy will do better with Boone's $$$.

rainiersooner
7/8/2007, 10:43 PM
also the #1 program in cheating and NCAA probations in the modern era, man, i would be soooo proud of that.....

Thanks for playing.

Soonerus
7/8/2007, 11:02 PM
Great stuff !!!!

RADsooner
7/9/2007, 12:15 AM

typical little brother reply. :rolleyes:

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/9/2007, 12:22 AM
SMU and OU arent the same thing. Neither is *cough Piggy Barnes *cough LSU the same as OU.

insuranceman_22
7/9/2007, 12:24 AM

But you're still OUr bitch!

SouthCarolinaSooner
7/9/2007, 12:29 AM
But you're still OUr bitch!
Yeah that too.

okstateguy987
7/9/2007, 12:31 AM
man it's wayyyy too easy to hijack a thread in here, lol

silverwheels
7/9/2007, 01:14 AM

Typical loser OSU fan coming in here bringing that up. How did Hart Lee Dykes work out for you? When was the last time you guys won a conference outright? For that matter, are the Pokes ever going to get their all-time winning percentage above .500?

Run along, now, little Pokie, and take Dexter Manley and Prentiss Elliot with you.

Octavian
7/9/2007, 01:24 AM
Victories, 1946-2006
1. Oklahoma 524
2. Alabama 492
3. Nebraska 494
Penn State 494
5. Texas 491
6. Ohio State 484
7. Michigan 481
8. Tennessee 475
9. Southern Cal 469
10. Notre Dame 467

Winning Percentage, 1946-2006
1. Oklahoma .761 (524-160-13)
2. Ohio State .743 (484-160-20)
3. Penn State .734 (494-176-9)
4. Michigan .729 (481-174-15)
5. Texas .714 (491-193-11)
6. Nebraska .710 (494-199-9)
7. Alabama .706 (492-199-20)
8. Notre Dame .704 (467-192-14)
9. Tennessee .695 (475-201-24)
10. USC .694 (469-200-23)

Weeks Ranked Top 5 in AP Poll
1. Oklahoma 342
2. Nebraska 294
3. Ohio State 288
4. Notre Dame 276
5. Michigan 271
6. USC 267
7. Texas 252
8. Alabama 243
9. Florida State 204
10. Miami (Fla.) 201

Weeks Ranked No. 1 in AP Poll
1. Oklahoma 95
Notre Dame 95
3. Ohio State 88
4. Southern Cal 81
5. Nebraska 70
6. Miami (Fla.) 68
7. Florida State 59
8. Texas 42
9. Michigan 34
10. Alabama 31

complete dominance

OUfan7
7/9/2007, 07:39 AM
I may be looking at it wrong but I don't see Okie St. on any of those lists. Nuff said!!!

StoopTroup
7/9/2007, 09:01 AM
Their gonna turn it around this year.

Bwahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Landthief 1972
7/9/2007, 09:14 AM
Please do not feed the inbred troll.

Jalal23V
7/9/2007, 09:25 AM
Its funny how SUC claims they have like 14 titles. We should start claiming we have 16 even though the AP titles are legit. Great post.

soonerinabilene
7/9/2007, 09:38 AM
Imagine how much we would be in the lead if the 90's hadnt been so bad.

CobraKai
7/9/2007, 09:39 AM
Wrong, OSU, Notre Dame, UT, FSU, SMU, Alabama, Tenn., Miami, USC all have pretty much the same amount of issues. Okie State's is worse because you couldn't win even though Jimmy and Pat were paying cold hard cash. Maybe Bundy will do better with Boone's $$$.

Exactly. Did an OSU fan actually dog another fan about cheating? Talk about the definition of irony. Either this guy is anew fan that knows nothing of his own school's history, or he has forgotten about pre-1990s OSU.

picasso
7/9/2007, 10:20 AM
no more than you.

all of those wrestling and basketball flags you have are no comparison to the program that is OU football.

sucks for you huh?

also, I thought this (thread title) was old news.

JohnnyMack
7/9/2007, 10:36 AM
Their gonna turn it around this year.

Bwahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

This is their year! I promise!

SteelClip49
7/9/2007, 11:16 AM
Boone's Farm stadium is still a joke on stilts surrounded by a school play-like setting on stage; looks like it can be easily torn down.

so what if Oklahoma has had problems before; several successful programs have experienced some downfall with probation: USC, Alabubba, Notre Dame, Florida, some others.

Hell, Oklahoma is 1 of only 2 schools to win the national title while on probation.

Oklahoma State isn't even good or smart enough to come up with a scheme. So, keep striving for those elusive Houston Bowl titles and mediocre 7 win seasons and watch OU represent the state like always.

Ash
7/9/2007, 11:20 AM

I thought this focktard would be baned by now.

picasso
7/9/2007, 11:28 AM
any form of jacking is a great oSu past time.

soonerinabilene
7/9/2007, 12:35 PM

I can't believe that you would have little brother syndrome. I mean, seriously, we should have it, not you. After all, the most powerful offense in the world is located in stillwater. You have the entire nation jealous! Everybody is shaking in anticipation of hearing the 10,000 people screaming at the top of their lungs for the most advanced scheme of football known to man. When those 10,000 voices echo off the 40,000 empty seats, the world will know the true power that is Gundy ball.:rolleyes:

Do me a favor. Instead of talking crap about ou on an ou board, why don't you try to explain why osu is going to contend for a national title. Don't talk about your great new stadium(even a toilet made of gold still has sh#t inside of it). Don't talk about OU being cheaters. Don't bring up any other sport. This is the football forum. Enlighten us as to how a football program with a winning percentage under .500 deserves to be seen as a great program along side the likes of ou, michigan, nebraska, texas, usc, florida state, miami, etc. Tell us why someone should be proud of your football team. When you can do that, come back and we will have a nice discussion about it. Until then, F*** off, dip****!

CatfishSooner
7/9/2007, 01:03 PM
Sooners #1, #1, #1, #1!!!!!!!!!!

SoonerShark
7/9/2007, 01:06 PM

Which school is number one in having one of its top all-time basketball players continually petting the "dog" in public and having its head coach pulling out his winky and tinkling on a middle school building?

It's a shame that Byron and Eddie did not do those things in BaBoone Pickens Stadium. Nobody would have seen them that way.

SoonerShark
7/9/2007, 01:11 PM
Why did the receiver, Hart Sleeze Dykes, end up at OSU in the 80s, which started the probation problem for both OU and OSU? And why would wishbone era OU buy a wide receiver? Answer: OU would NOT buy a receiver, but took the NCAA hit anyway since Hart Less Dykes lied his butt off to keep elibible so he would be drafted, sacrificing multiple teams by his lies.

Snrfn4ever08
7/9/2007, 01:13 PM
I can't believe that you would have little brother syndrome. I mean, seriously, we should have it, not you. After all, the most powerful offense in the world is located in stillwater. You have the entire nation jealous! Everybody is shaking in anticipation of hearing the 10,000 people screaming at the top of their lungs for the most advanced scheme of football known to man. When those 10,000 voices echo off the 40,000 empty seats, the world will know the true power that is Gundy ball.:rolleyes:

Do me a favor. Instead of talking crap about ou on an ou board, why don't you try to explain why osu is going to contend for a national title. Don't talk about your great new stadium(even a toilet made of gold still has sh#t inside of it). Don't talk about OU being cheaters. Don't bring up any other sport. This is the football forum. Enlighten us as to how a football program with a winning percentage under .500 deserves to be seen as a great program along side the likes of ou, michigan, nebraska, texas, usc, florida state, miami, etc. Tell us why someone should be proud of your football team. When you can do that, come back and we will have a nice discussion about it. Until then, F*** off, dip****!

Great stuff man...have some spek

SoonerShark
7/9/2007, 01:14 PM
In all fairness to Byron Houston, he must be a "gifted" athlete. Many of the folks who reported seeing his acts of self-love were in cars while he was in a SUV. Said gift must have stuck up a good 2 feet for those folks in cars to see his beacon of hope.

DalHorn
7/9/2007, 01:22 PM
Whenever the subject of cheating comes up, you all remind me of the Bush WH. But, but!! The Clintons did it too!!

Most people don't deny that UT, aTm, etc.. etc.. have been busted for cheating of some sort at one time or another. What is undeniable is you guys ROCK at it!

Petro-Sooner
7/9/2007, 01:41 PM
Since this thread has been already jacked once lets go for two. Whats the deal with hart lee dykes? Whats exactly happened?

soonerinabilene
7/9/2007, 02:02 PM
What is undeniable is you guys have won more than any other team in the modern era of college football

Yeah, we know, thats the whole point of this thread.

okstateguy987
7/9/2007, 02:37 PM
Whenever the subject of cheating comes up, you all remind me of the Bush WH. But, but!! The Clintons did it too!!

Most people don't deny that UT, aTm, etc.. etc.. have been busted for cheating of some sort at one time or another. What is undeniable is you guys ROCK at it!

It's the only way they could have ever gotten ahead. They would have never gotten those mnc's back in the fifties and seventies if they hadn't spent loads of money buying the best team that money could buy. and it wasn't just in recruiting, they actually paid they're players for touchdowns, first downs, tackles, etc.....so while every school is recognized for some sort of cheating at one time or another, the nation knows who the worst cheaters and worst sportsmen are, FIVE probationary periods to get those mnc's, wow, and yet they still incessantly whine about getting cheated out of games. Karma comes back to bite you in the a**.......it's no wonder the nation despises Trailorpark U.

CtheB
7/9/2007, 03:00 PM
Since this thread has been already jacked once lets go for two. Whats the deal with hart lee dykes? Whats exactly happened?

Hart Lee Dykes got more schools in trouble than the clap. Just leave it at that.

CtheB
7/9/2007, 03:02 PM
It's the only way they could have ever gotten ahead. They would have never gotten those mnc's back in the fifties and seventies if they hadn't spent loads of money buying the best team that money could buy. and it wasn't just in recruiting, they actually paid they're players for touchdowns, first downs, tackles, etc.....so while every school is recognized for some sort of cheating at one time or another, the nation knows who the worst cheaters and worst sportsmen are, FIVE probationary periods to get those mnc's, wow, and yet they still incessantly whine about getting cheated out of games. Karma comes back to bite you in the a**.......it's no wonder the nation despises Trailorpark U.

Aggie, cheating and winning beats cheating and losing. You can put your halo back on now, that is, if you didn't lose it fumbling through your pointless view.

CtheB
7/9/2007, 03:05 PM

Yes, and it would be a wonder if underage chicks, drug possession and illegal use of a firearm were also felonies in Texas.

Would love to see how many Texas wins there would be if players committing such an act actually were suspended.

And since all of the current roster gets busted with a recent alumni each time, I'm sure Texas does what's right and throws the book at the alumni.

soonerinabilene
7/9/2007, 03:20 PM

Thats some mighty fine detective work there, Horatio. I can just see you pulling the sunglasses off while you say all that garbage. Still haven't responded to the post above asking you to explain why you think your team is worth a sh*t. Guess its taking a while. Its cool. I'll wait.

Petro-Sooner
7/9/2007, 04:18 PM

This dood is hilarious. I mean, I really started laughing.

JohnnyMack
7/9/2007, 04:22 PM

Did we pay players back in the day? Yep. Just like every other program did. Show me ONE national powerhouse that didn't do it and I'll kiss your ***.

silverwheels
7/9/2007, 05:32 PM
Worst sportsmen? Does this guy not remember that it was a white Oklahoma A&M player that coldcocked a black player from Drake and broke his jaw in the middle of a game? And no, it wasn't a tackle, either.

Any negative point you can bring up about OU, I can do the same for OSU, smart guy. The difference is the Sooners are winners and the Cowboys are not.

picasso
7/9/2007, 06:36 PM
hey dipwad.

we were winning league titles before WWII. We just so happened to help put our state on the map.

sucks for you huh.

HTown77095
7/9/2007, 06:48 PM
I nominate okstateguy987 troll of the week:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/9secZ28/powder.jpg

Funny how these trolls are getting on this board and getting their jabs in now because they know they are already beat :)

KantoSooner
7/9/2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the enlightenment, and here all along I thought the MNC's in the 1970's had quite a bit to do with the fact that Barry was recruiting black players while UT and OSU (among others) were attempting to prove the racial superiority of the white bubba. I also thought that Bud's MNC's in the1950's had to do with his revolutionizing of the college game. But now I see that he was just a filthy cheater. And I had, erroneously of course, thought that Stoops won a championship with better players than anybody else in the nation. But, no, I must be wrong, all those MNC's were bought and paid for. Thanks, OKStateguy, for setting me straight. By the way, I write to you from the Southern Philippines (Cat Balogun) where I sit in a bar called 'The Sooner'. Nice red and white decor. Must be owned by people who hate us.
And a boomer sooner day to you, too.

Cam
7/9/2007, 08:48 PM
If we're "Trailorpark U", what does that make "the state's university"?

Can't have it both ways ****** rocket.

Landthief 1972
7/9/2007, 09:18 PM
Tsk tsk... you guys just keep encouraging the mouthbreather to continue posting.

Somebody just post a photo of John Smith in his "regulation uniform" so the aggie can get distracted.

Then he can talk about winning in a sport with a coach who nearly killed someone in drunken stupor. Or bragging about winning in a sport that requires you to strip down to a unitard and grab another dude's package.

BigRedJed
7/9/2007, 09:19 PM
Don't worry. He won't be posting anymore. Ridicule him all you want.

Landthief 1972
7/9/2007, 09:20 PM
whoops, double post.

C&CDean
7/9/2007, 09:20 PM
Judas H. Priest performing analingus on a farm animal, where do these ag trolls come from? Say goodnight sheep****breath.

HTown77095
7/9/2007, 10:45 PM
Poor LOSUR....

goingoneight
7/9/2007, 10:52 PM
Has anyone in Stoolwater learned that 'TRAILER' does NOT have an 'O' in it? Gawd, those types of "people" are dorks. You still have 16-13 on your signature there, too?

BTW... Hart Lee Dykes ring a bell? How was it Eddie lost his two best jobs at UK and Okie Light again? Whose "university" is surrounded by cows and you guessed it... trailer parks? Newsflash, it's not the flagship (OU) which just so happens to be next to OKC... you know... OUr state's CAPITAL?

You were owned way before you tried to spit your trash-talk around here... you may go away now.

goingoneight
7/9/2007, 11:03 PM

I've determined that Aggies are like Wimp Lo on the movie Kung Pow. They think losing is winning, and being throroghly OWNED is an even better thing. :texan:

And to whatever Aggie negged me with the grammar police, YOU try typing with a broken hand. :P

PLaw
7/9/2007, 11:10 PM
OU #1 Program of the Modern Era

And it ain't even close!

BOOMER
PLAW

Big Red Ron
7/10/2007, 01:54 AM
Notice our resident horns have taken a pass on this thread?

;)

Oh, and we are officially known as the Sooner State.

Jdog
7/10/2007, 10:30 AM
*.......it's no wonder the nation despises Trailorpark U.

DextOr Manley, is that you? You're the only person that I would know to put an o in Trailer - or is that how they learned you to spell at OSUe. I knowed you didn't learn to read there.

(Sooners, sorry to have to use the sort of grammar taught at OSU - but I figure it maybe the only way to communicate with a meadow muffin).

PS: Dexter, just curious? Have you ever beaten Texas? Halftime scores don't count.
What’s been their best come back (I'm talking points, not Aggie jokes) against your football team?

Snrfn4ever08
7/10/2007, 12:45 PM
DextOr Manley, is that you? You're the only person that I would know to put an o in Trailer - or is that how they learned you to spell at OSUe. I knowed you didn't learn to read there.

(Sooners, sorry to have to use the sort of grammar taught at OSU - but I figure it maybe the only way to communicate with a meadow muffin).

PS: Dexter, just curious? Have you ever beaten Texas? Halftime scores don't count.
What’s been their best come back (I'm talking points, not Aggie jokes) against your football team?
Do you think by any chance he meant TAILORpark U, like we're a sophisticated race of people with lots of suits?

CobraKai
7/10/2007, 01:26 PM

I think you need to learn the distinction between cheating, and the stuff we got in trouble for in the 80s, which for the most part consisted of collecting a group of talented law-breakers. The Switzer probation had a few minor "cheating" violation, but the lion's share of the problems were from:

1. A gang rape
2. A drug-dealing QB
3. A DB shooting a DE

Explain how that is "cheating," other than the fact that we may have cheated some local Norman residents out of having a peaceful night's rest.

CobraKai
7/10/2007, 01:30 PM
Worst sportsmen? Does this guy not remember that it was a white Oklahoma A&M player that coldcocked a black player from Drake and broke his jaw in the middle of a game? And no, it wasn't a tackle, either.

Any negative point you can bring up about OU, I can do the same for OSU, smart guy. The difference is the Sooners are winners and the Cowboys are not.

Or that an OSU fan tried to strangle TJ Ford on national TV, leaking dip spit all over TJ's game jersey? Perhaps he remembers Gary Ward's long time controversial policy of not allowing his team to shake the other team's hands after a game. There's a sportsman for you...

Big Red Ron
7/10/2007, 02:42 PM
Or that an OSU fan tried to strangle TJ Ford on national TV, leaking dip spit all over TJ's game jersey? Perhaps he remembers Gary Ward's long time controversial policy of not allowing his team to shake the other team's hands after a game. There's a sportsman for you...Really, or that redneck aggie that cussed my 12 year old daughter at a baseball game at the Brick for wearing, "a gay team's hat."

And yes, he got a bloody nose before begging me to stop hitting him for that.

Jdog
7/10/2007, 03:41 PM
Do you think by any chance he meant TAILORpark U, like we're a sophisticated race of people with lots of suits?

Great point – one can only wonder what kind of diabolical conspiracy theories and propaganda that they’re hatching in their Poultry College.

nytehorn
7/10/2007, 07:55 PM
Notice our resident horns have taken a pass on this thread?

;)

Oh, and we are officially known as the Sooner State.

I am always on the fark board, but it was slow, so I drifted over here tonight. You are right Ron, no one can deny that OU has been great. But I think the main reason the regular Horns on this board have stayed away is that they were laughing so hard at the TOTAL BS uttered by the OSU jerk, and all the Sooners responses! He probably got kicked off, or should be, but wow, what an idiot! :pop:

Big Red Ron
7/10/2007, 08:24 PM
I am always on the fark board, but it was slow, so I drifted over here tonight. You are right Ron, no one can deny that OU has been great. But I think the main reason the regular Horns on this board have stayed away is that they were laughing so hard at the TOTAL BS uttered by the OSU jerk, and all the Sooners responses! He probably got kicked off, or should be, but wow, what an idiot! :pop:Don't be workin' that reverse psychology, hornfan, mind game angle on me pal.

:D

:texan:

colleyvillesooner
7/12/2007, 04:54 PM
Everyone just got 8 games closer ;)

bevot
7/13/2007, 09:31 AM
A little history lesson from an ESPN article from 6 years ago, for those of you who either were not born yet, or like some of you, have just lost sight of your past. Obviously things like honesty, honor and integrity are just not a part of the Oklahoma lexicon.

"Just win baby!"

Thursday, October 4, 2001

'76 "Spy Game" was series' most bitter

By Robert Heard
Special to ESPN.com

This Saturday's (2001) Oklahoma-Texas game is the most anticipated in a quarter-century. The infamous "Spy Game" of 1976, which Darrell Royal to this day will tell you he wanted to win more than any other as player or coach, ended in a 6-6 tie. (No. 1 UT played No. 2 OU in 1984, and that game also ended in a tie, 15-15, but OU should have won; Texas lived off its reputation from 1983, after which the NFL drafted 17 Horns, still the all-time record; "Field Goal" Fred Akers doomed that team.)

Oklahoma has won three national titles since '73. Texas came within a 10-9 loss to Georgia in the 1984 Cotton Bowl. But in the first two of those Sooner title years no one expected the UT game to be a real contest, and it wasn't. Last year, No. 10 OU pounded No. 11 Texas, 63-14.

The Oklahoma football program is written in two volumes, one before the end of World War II and one after. The all-time series now stands at 55 victories for Texas, 35 for the Okies, and five ties. But since World War II, the count is Texas 28, Oklahoma 23, and three ties.

Darrell Royal coached Texas to national titles in 1963, '69 and '70.
After 1945, the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry became the meanest and most bitter in the country. How did that happen?

In addition to the Great Depression and World War II and their hardships for all Americans, the state of Oklahoma suffered through another calamity: The Dust Bowl. Thousands of Oklahomans fled to California in the 1930s for back-breaking, poor-paying agricultural jobs. "Okies" originated as an epithet.

At an OU regents' meeting in November 1945, someone brought up John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath (one of the greatest novels of all-time but hated by Oklahomans, who saw only the grinding poverty, not the magnificent survival, of the Joad family). What could the regents do to combat the "Okie" image? On the agenda: Hiring a football coach to succeed Dewey "Snorter" Luster, 1941-45, who resigned after losing five straight to UT.

The regents hoped to get more than OU's share of football stars returning from the war. The new coach, Jim Tatum, did precisely that, exhausting the athletics' surplus of $125,000 (huge then), and had to borrow money, to finance tryouts for as many as 600 players. The focus for this all-consuming effort: Texas. Big, fat, arrogant Texas. Beat Texas, and Oklahoma could command national attention immediately. Oklahoma made war on Texas.

And most of the best troops OU used in that combat came mainly from Texas. That's why the series became so bitter. Many alums from both schools ran into each other regularly, particularly in the oil business. OU in the early years "outbought" UT for Texas high school stars. Only later did the Sooners suffer NCAA major probations for cheating, because NCAA rules prior to 1953 wouldn't frighten a girl scout.

There is no rivalry to rival this one. It is played at a "neutral" site, Dallas' Cotton Bowl, 200 miles from each campus. Each school gets half the seats, so half the stadium is screaming all the time, often all of it. In addition to that, the game is the main event of the Texas State Fair, which takes place at the same place at the same time each year.

Dan Jenkins wrote in Sports Illustrated after the 1963 game: "The University of Texas football season begins with the Oklahoma game. All before that is so much throat-clearing."

After showing next to nothing from its playbook before last year's Texas game (always played early in October), OU sprang a terrific short-passing game on the Horns, featuring QB Josh Heupel, who had the ability often to scramble toward the line of scrimmage, then pull up just short and throw. After the Sooners showed their wares against UT, they encountered tougher games against talented teams, beating Kansas State 41-31, Texas A&M 35-31, Oklahoma State 12-7, and Kansas State again, in the Big XII title game, 27-24. But the close score in the FedEx Orange Bowl contest for the brass ring against Florida State, 13-2, is misleading. OU dominated.

Texas held the talent and an even better schedule in 2000 to have done the same thing, but it did not, finishing 9-3 -- its the third-straight nine-win season. This year, Heupel is gone, but so is Texas' great DT tandem, Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers. Nate Hybl quarterbacks OU now. Worst news for Texas: Hybl never flinched from a couple-dozen blitzing hits from Kansas State last week in OU's 38-37 win.

Barry Switzer coached the Sooners to national titles in 1974, '75 and '85. The '76 game dripped with drama. OU under Chuck Fairbanks and Barry Switzer had beaten Texas five straight after copying, at Switzer's suggestion to Fairbanks, the new (1968) wishbone formation that Royal used in his last victory over OU, 41-9, in 1970. Worse, Royal accused Switzer of spying on UT practices and offered $10,000 each to Switzer, defensive coordinator Larry Lacewell and the spy he named, Lonnie Williams, if they would take polygraph tests. Turned down and also ridiculed by Switzer, Royal, in an AP interview with me, called the OU coaches "sorry bastards," a phrase Okie fans chanted outside Royal's hotel room the night before the game.

The Horns ranked a lowly No. 16 that year against the better-talented (mainly with Texas kids) No. 3 Oklahoma (of the "Top 23" players listed in the OU football media guide, three went to schools in Oklahoma, 14 to high schools in Texas). Royal lavished his concentration on the OU game at least part of every day weeks before the season that year. He crafted a defensive masterpiece, and led 6-0 with less than six minutes to play on two long-range Russell Exrleben field goals.

Royal at that point, with Texas holding the ball at its 36 after a run of nine yards by Earl Campbell produced a first down, wished out loud to defensive coordinator Mike Campbell that Texas had practiced a quick kick. He'd use it on first down, he said. On the next play, needing only to run out the clock, UT gave the ball on a draw to RB Ivey Suber, who forgot to cover it with both hands when he saw DT David Hudgens loom in front of him. Suber tried to cut to his right with the ball in his left arm. With his left hand, Hudgens raked the ball free.

After the turnover, with 5:31 on the clock, OU held the ball on the Texas 37. It took 10 grinding plays to score. Then the center snapped the ball over the placekicker's head, and the game ended in the gut-wrenching tie. Blackie Sherrod of the Dallas Times-Herald said it best: "Royal looked like he had driven a gravel truck without a windshield nonstop across Death Valley." Indeed, Royal dry-heaved on his way to the dressing room.

Lacewell later admitted the Sooners benefited from spying, and, later still, Switzer confessed it, too. Royal quit after the '76 season, his 20th at UT, at age 52. He couldn't beat Oklahoma without cheating. And he wouldn't cheat.

After Bud Wilkinson's great career at OU, 1947-63, Okie fans, sensitive about the "outlaw" tag, argued the Sooners started winning the recruiting wars because of "tradition." There is truth to that. But it is a tradition built on cheating. Searching for any argument to counter the cheating tag, Okies chortled that Texas needed an Oklahoman, Royal, to beat them. But, of course, Royal was a professional coach, by definition a person for hire. The NCAA forbids salaries for amateur athletes.

Switzer dismissed Texas complaints about his recruiting Lone Star State blue chips. "You don't own them," he said. He also noted it usually took him a visit or two merely to get "all that" Texas state loyalty out of a recruit's head. But when it came to a good player from Oklahoma, the Sooners preached state loyalty.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/1001/1257984.html

Ash
7/13/2007, 09:41 AM
Ah yes, the trolls are as thick as the skeeters. Both are nothing but a bunch of blood suckers.

We'll settle our differences in October, bevo lovers. Otherwise, if you don't have anything real to contribute: STFU NOOB!!!!!

soonerinabilene
7/13/2007, 09:42 AM
A little history lesson from an ESPN article from 6 years ago, for those of you who either were not born yet, or like some of you, have just lost sight of your past. Obviously things like honesty, honor and integrity are just not a part of the Oklahoma lexicon.

"Just win baby!"

you know what, nm. its not even worth it.

bevot
7/13/2007, 11:19 AM
Can't even give an honest reply eh? Figures!

colleyvillesooner
7/13/2007, 02:17 PM
Can't even give an honest reply eh? Figures!

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.MajorInfPackage.SearchAndDisplayList?p_Schoo l1=TEXAS-AUSTIN&p_School_Num1=703&p_School2=&p_School_Num2=&p_Case_Division=0&p_Date_Radio=1&p_Month1=JAN&p_Day1=1&p_Year1=1953&p_Month2=JUL&p_Day2=13&p_Year2=2007&p_Sport1=Any&p_SportAndOr_1=0&p_Sport2=Any&p_SportAndOr_2=0&p_Sport3=Any&p_TV_Penalty=10&p_Postseason_Penalty=10&p_Probation_Penalty=10&p_Division=0&p_bylaw_radio1=0&p_Bylaw=0&p_Article=&p_Contains_Clause1=1&p_SearchWords1=&p_Inword1=heading&p_Boolean1=and&p_Contains_Clause2=1&p_SearchWords2=&p_Inword2=heading&p_Boolean2=and&p_Contains_Clause3=1&p_SearchWords3=&p_Inword3=heading&p_Button=Go+Search

picasso
7/13/2007, 03:14 PM

"Just win baby!"
Royal getting his clocked cleaned by the young brash Switzer is even sweeter now that you've joined us.

wanker.

fadada1
7/13/2007, 05:26 PM
highest number of football graduates that still can't read and write?????

anyone?

anyone?

hookem31
7/13/2007, 08:00 PM
https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.MajorInfPackage.SearchAndDisplayList?p_Schoo l1=TEXAS-AUSTIN&p_School_Num1=703&p_School2=&p_School_Num2=&p_Case_Division=0&p_Date_Radio=1&p_Month1=JAN&p_Day1=1&p_Year1=1953&p_Month2=JUL&p_Day2=13&p_Year2=2007&p_Sport1=Any&p_SportAndOr_1=0&p_Sport2=Any&p_SportAndOr_2=0&p_Sport3=Any&p_TV_Penalty=10&p_Postseason_Penalty=10&p_Probation_Penalty=10&p_Division=0&p_bylaw_radio1=0&p_Bylaw=0&p_Article=&p_Contains_Clause1=1&p_SearchWords1=&p_Inword1=heading&p_Boolean1=and&p_Contains_Clause2=1&p_SearchWords2=&p_Inword2=heading&p_Boolean2=and&p_Contains_Clause3=1&p_SearchWords3=&p_Inword3=heading&p_Button=Go+Search

You got us.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.MajorInfPackage.SearchAndDisplayList?p_Schoo l1=OKLAHOMA&p_School_Num1=522&p_School2=&p_School_Num2=&p_Case_Division=0&p_Date_Radio=1&p_Month1=JAN&p_Day1=1&p_Year1=1965&p_Month2=JUL&p_Day2=13&p_Year2=2007&p_Sport1=Any&p_SportAndOr_1=0&p_Sport2=Any&p_SportAndOr_2=0&p_Sport3=Any&p_TV_Penalty=10&p_Postseason_Penalty=10&p_Probation_Penalty=10&p_Division=0&p_bylaw_radio1=0&p_Bylaw=0&p_Article=&p_Contains_Clause1=1&p_SearchWords1=&p_Inword1=heading&p_Boolean1=and&p_Contains_Clause2=1&p_SearchWords2=&p_Inword2=heading&p_Boolean2=and&p_Contains_Clause3=1&p_SearchWords3=&p_Inword3=heading&p_Button=Go+Search

Y'all win, 5-4. I think it was having your TV and postseason appearances taken away (3 yrs. and 4 yrs., respectively) that actually put you over the top.

;)

goingoneight
7/13/2007, 08:08 PM
So let me get this straight... two supposed "cheaters" are arguing over eachother's wrongdoings? :rolleyes: Gawd, the off-season is teh succc.

BASSooner
7/13/2007, 08:41 PM
You got us.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/LSDBi/LSDBi.MajorInfPackage.SearchAndDisplayList?p_Schoo l1=OKLAHOMA&p_School_Num1=522&p_School2=&p_School_Num2=&p_Case_Division=0&p_Date_Radio=1&p_Month1=JAN&p_Day1=1&p_Year1=1965&p_Month2=JUL&p_Day2=13&p_Year2=2007&p_Sport1=Any&p_SportAndOr_1=0&p_Sport2=Any&p_SportAndOr_2=0&p_Sport3=Any&p_TV_Penalty=10&p_Postseason_Penalty=10&p_Probation_Penalty=10&p_Division=0&p_bylaw_radio1=0&p_Bylaw=0&p_Article=&p_Contains_Clause1=1&p_SearchWords1=&p_Inword1=heading&p_Boolean1=and&p_Contains_Clause2=1&p_SearchWords2=&p_Inword2=heading&p_Boolean2=and&p_Contains_Clause3=1&p_SearchWords3=&p_Inword3=heading&p_Button=Go+Search

Y'all win, 5-4. I think it was having your TV and postseason appearances taken away (3 yrs. and 4 yrs., respectively) that actually put you over the top.

;)
you know what, just to get you and your butt buddy, bevot to shut the **** up, allow me to show you several things:

Programs of OU and UT of the modern era:

All time wins of the modern era: OU 524
UT 491
Winning percentage: OU .761(524-160)
UT .714(491-193)
Weeks ranked top 5 in the polls OU 342
UT 252
Weeks ranked #1 in polls OU 95
UT 42
Number of major infractions UT 4
OU 5
Series in the annual RRS 57-39-5 UT

Number of 10+ seasons OU 29
UT 20
Conference championships OU 40
UT 29
Bowl victories OU 24
UT 23
National Championships OU 7
UT 4
Coaches with W + 80%. OU 3(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops)
UT 2(Royal, Brown)

Winners(those in bold) OU 9
UT 2

Conclusion: Oklahoma has been and always will be better than UT when it comes to a prestigious football program. When you come on this board, just remember all of this :D so you will know the truth in reality that we pretty much own you in almost everything in football.

hookem31
7/13/2007, 10:55 PM
So let me get this straight... two supposed "cheaters" are arguing over eachother's wrongdoings? :rolleyes: Gawd, the off-season is teh succc.

No doubt. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif

When you come on this board, just remember all of this so you will know the truth in reality that we pretty much own you in almost everything in football.

Except for this -

57-39-5 :D

insuranceman_22
7/14/2007, 12:26 AM
Check this link: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-no1-program-modern-era.html

KingDavid
7/14/2007, 12:40 AM

OK. I will toy with it for a little while, too.

Total all-time wins, Sooners: 746
Total all-time wins, Cowboys: 472

So, let's put this in perspective. This means that if OU were given the death penalty for the NEXT 19 YEARS, and during that time the Cowboys won the national championship EVERY YEAR, FOR NINETEEN CONSECUTIVE YEARS, assuming a full 14 game schedule (including conference championship & NCAA championship, then . . . and only then . . .

OSU STILL WOULDN'T HAVE MORE VICTORIES THAN OU.

So, here's what this means for our little interaction. Listen carefully: I'm going to explain what is REALLY happening right now, right here on this thread. I'm going to help you understand you. This may hurt, but I'm going to try to be gentle.

Imagine now a locker room full of skilled athletes getting ready to take the field. They are herculean. Warlords. Blood-spattered gladiators. And out of no where, as they're getting ready for their next battle, in wanders an iddy-biddy widdle baby, crawling on its widdle hands and knees.

Would these warriors turn and crush the widdle biddy baby?

No, of course not. They would pick it up, they would humor it a little. They might even talk to it in cute, high pitched voices to keep it from crying. Ultimately, they would try to help it find its mommy.

And I guess in some way, that little baby might think it had hi-jacked the locker room and all of those mighty warlords attention. Perhaps, in some sort of ironic way, it might even be true:

There, there widdle cowboy. Does it like it here on de big bad Sooner boardie? Does it want to hijackie de big bad Sooner threadie? ok, widdle cowboy. you big tough cowman, you! bang, bang! bang, bang bang! He-hee. tickle tickle. You funny tough big cowboy!

Ok, now. There, there. Scurry along . . .

CatfishSooner
7/14/2007, 01:22 AM
Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BASSooner
7/14/2007, 01:26 AM
No doubt. http://bestsmileys.com/lol/6.gif

Except for this -

57-39-5 :D
I already mentioned that one

Dumba$$

Thanks for showing your complete stupidity as a whorn:D

hookem31
7/14/2007, 09:45 AM
Actually, I did see that. Just wanted to throw it out there again for you to chew on. ;)

BASSooner
7/14/2007, 12:25 PM
Actually, I did see that. Just wanted to throw it out there again for you to chew on. ;)
Oh I don't mind that at all, that's about the only thing you guys have against us. We have about 9, which one would you like to see first?

HTown77095
7/14/2007, 01:06 PM
We have more Heisman winners than Texas for one. And 3 out of 4 of them were okies:D

LSUdeek
7/14/2007, 03:22 PM
SMU and OU arent the same thing. Neither is *cough Piggy Barnes *cough LSU the same as OU.

:confused:

crimson&cream
7/14/2007, 06:09 PM
What a dumba$$ NO! were not # 1 in cheating, I just read that list the other day an several school are ahead of OU therefore open mouth and insert foot and shut up as any school that produced an NFL player- Dexter Manley-that couldn't read or write has so much to be proud of. Then a few yrs ago for parent day LosuR printed up t-shirts that spelled Oklahoma - Oklaohoma and parents and fans were wearing them at a FB game.(I have a picture of that if like I'll send you copy and you can pin it above your headboard) What a bunch of comical dweebs, oh I forgot BROKEBACK COWBOYS. Geez almost forgot about Eddie Sutton & Jack Daniels. Furthermore, didn't you also have a fine upstanding player by the name of Prentiss Elliott who has a rap sheet a mile long.
One last question ---Now how many National Championships do you sheep herders have in that trophy case there in Stoolwater------Thats right NONE!, and how many Conf C's -one tied for- wow that stacks up well against our 40.

goingoneight
7/14/2007, 06:20 PM
OK. I will toy with it for a little while, too.

Total all-time wins, Sooners: 746
Total all-time wins, Cowboys: 472

So, let's put this in perspective. This means that if OU were given the death penalty for the NEXT 19 YEARS, and during that time the Cowboys won the national championship EVERY YEAR, FOR NINETEEN CONSECUTIVE YEARS, assuming a full 14 game schedule (including conference championship & NCAA championship, then . . . and only then . . .

OSU STILL WOULDN'T HAVE MORE VICTORIES THAN OU.

Heh... he's gone now. I think him and the rest of the resident aggies are trying to figure out 'plan B' to win 19 consecutive MNCs now that we're not getting "justified punishment." :D

Poor aggies, how do you ever become an aggy fan anyway??? :confused:

crimson&cream
7/14/2007, 06:29 PM
On another site it list most all their infractions major and minor and it takes a good 2/3 pages. So STFU.

One things for sure in Texa$$ you can always tell when a Longwhoren or for that matter in Okla concerning Aggies- You can tell when they're married -- By the tobacco spit stains on the outside of both of his pickup doors.

crimson&cream
7/14/2007, 06:36 PM
you know what, just to get you and your butt buddy, bevot to shut the **** up, allow me to show you several things:

Programs of OU and UT of the modern era:

All time wins of the modern era: OU 524
UT 491
Winning percentage: OU .761(524-160)
UT .714(491-193)
Weeks ranked top 5 in the polls OU 342
UT 252
Weeks ranked #1 in polls OU 95
UT 42
Number of major infractions UT 4
OU 5
Series in the annual RRS 57-39-5 UT

Number of 10+ seasons OU 29
UT 20
Conference championships OU 40
UT 29
Bowl victories OU 24
UT 23
National Championships OU 7
UT 4
Coaches with W + 80%. OU 3(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops)
UT 2(Royal, Brown)

Winners(those in bold) OU 9
UT 2

Conclusion: Oklahoma has been and always will be better than UT when it comes to a prestigious football program. When you come on this board, just remember all of this :D so you will know the truth in reality that we pretty much own you in almost everything in football.
I think in the modern era of FB WWII on, the RRS series is even.

hookem31
7/14/2007, 11:50 PM
I think in the modern era of FB WWII on, the RRS series is even.

Yeah, not so much. Since '45 it's 31-28-3. Try again.

Tell ya what, since 2000, it's 5-2 OU. Better? :D

goingoneight
7/15/2007, 12:11 AM
I like all those shiny extra CC, MNC and Heisman trophies in the Switzer Center, myself.
That and OUr colors don't resemble something you find in a diaper, either... :P

BASSooner
7/15/2007, 12:21 AM

quick fact about the series, i believe it was the sooners that scored the most points against an opponent in a single game ;)

hookem31
7/15/2007, 06:56 PM
And I believe we own the longest winning streak at eight in a row. Twice. ;)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Peter Gardere. :D

BASSooner
7/15/2007, 10:00 PM

like i said before, those are the ONLY things you have against us.

Everything else, we own everyone.

Oh and try beating our 47 game win streak:D

Did I also mention that your greatest head coach is a sooner? Damn texans are desperate these days...

colleyvillesooner
7/15/2007, 10:22 PM
Did I also mention that your greatest head coach and stadium name is a sooner? Damn texans are desperate these days...

Fixed.

crimson&cream
7/15/2007, 11:24 PM
I will.
Add another one to that last one smarta$$ 4 OU Big 12 Championships- Texa$$ 2.:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
Nice Try.

BASSooner
7/15/2007, 11:25 PM
also add on 5 BCS bowls, and texass with 2

C&CDean
7/16/2007, 08:10 AM

Hey ****wad, I draw the line at Gardere. Tread lightly.

TexasLidig8r
7/16/2007, 09:02 AM
God Almighty.. have the kids reported for two a days yet? :(

I have always believed that taking a certain time period to simply suit your own arguments is pedantic at best.

The same arguments are rehashed.. over.. and over.. and over.. and over again.

If you can't take pride in your own program without having to run down another program, then, perhaps your own program isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

hookem31
7/16/2007, 01:02 PM
September can't get here fast enough, huh?

Octavian
7/16/2007, 01:40 PM
If you can't take pride in your own program without having to run down another program, then, perhaps your own program isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

ok....now say something nice about Aggy.

TexasLidig8r
7/16/2007, 01:53 PM
ok....now say something nice about Aggy.

They sure do squeeze their testicles real pretty like.

Big Red Ron
7/16/2007, 05:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure how the heck anyone, ever, thought that orange of any shade would be a good idea to dress up in.

If you are wearing anything orange and you are reading this you're probably a total ******.