PDA

View Full Version : A sad avian development

Okla-homey
7/8/2007, 12:49 PM
This morning, I read in the paper that the nation's bobwhite quail population is in serious decline. Down two-thirds just since the 1970's. It is attributed to the fact they need large expanses of uncultivated grassland to do well and have not adapted to suburban incursions into their habitat.

It will be sad indeed if someday, a future generation of Americans do not know the adrenaline dumping, momentary "crap-your-pants" terror experienced while meandering through a fallow field as your steps flush a covey of eight or ten quail that take wing four feet in front of you in a whirring, feathery mass.

Get well soon Mr and Mrs Bob White.

OUHOMER
7/8/2007, 02:53 PM
there used to be tons around my place, now i dont see but a very few

StoopTroup
7/8/2007, 04:02 PM
There may come a day when the VP of our Country might not be able to enjoy the thrill of shooting a friend while quail hunting.

Sad indeed.

LoyalFan
7/9/2007, 06:56 AM
Fire ants have played a major role in the decline of the Quail population, as has the proliferation of feral felines.
Sad duty, but when I'm afield, shotgun in hand, any cat I see within range is a goner. That's tough for me 'cause when I get home and Mr. Winchester T. Katt and Miss Monicat Meowinsky ask, as they rub against my legs, how the hunting was, well...
Same rule applies when deer hunting. When a pack of dawgs is spotted, the .270 speaks. When possible I deliver the ears to the rancher and he is deeee-lighted. I don't mean coyotes here and I don't necessarily mean dogs that are homeless.
When otherwise "normal" canine pets "pack up", they will run down deer (also sheep, goats, calves, llamas, etc.) and kill them for the sheer hell of it. Can't have that. So, if your beloved Spot, Fluffy, Ol' Yeller, and/or Lassie go MIA, you'll know what happened.

Sincerely,

LoyalFan

Jimminy Crimson
7/9/2007, 09:44 AM
When otherwise "normal" canine pets "pack up", they will run down deer and kill them for the sheer hell of it. Can't have that.

[Devil's Advocate]And how is that different than the hunting that you're doing? :confused: ;)