View Full Version : Mike Treps interview

Flagstaffsooner
7/8/2007, 10:12 AM
damn, happens every Sunday morning

Sorry my elec keeps going off.

The Collected Wisdom of Mike Treps

Interviewed by Bob Hersom
The Oklahoman
Mike Treps, 73, retired from the University of Oklahoma in 1998. The 1956 OU grad served the university for 27 years as director of media information, sports information director and assistant athletic director. He also spent many years as one of the voices of Sooners football on their radio broadcasts. The long-time Chicago Cubs fan still resides in Norman and is the RedHawks' official scorer.
http://promos.newsok.com/adview.php?what=zone:487&n=aa5204b2 (http://promos.newsok.com/adclick.php?n=aa5204b2) adsonar_placementId=1298127;adsonar_pid=64749;adso nar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=300;adsonar_zh=190;adsonar_jv='ads.ad sonar.com';

Baseball is my favorite sport because it's not in a hurry, there's no clock. You can take your time watching it. You can decipher it. You can cut it to pieces. You can inspect it. You can have fun with it, whereas in football and basketball, as much as I love those sports, it's hurry, hurry, hurry. You've got a clock to beat and there's really no time to visit.
When I was a small boy in Chicago, my dad took me to a Cubs game. This was in 1947, believe it or not, and I got hooked. The Cubs won 10-8 on a two-run homer in the ninth inning and I just was stunned... Since 1954, I think I've only missed five years of not seeing them play (live) somewhere.
To my way of thinking, the greatest OU football player was Lee Roy Selmon by far. He was so dominant at what he did that he was a presence just by himself.
I think Bud Wilkinson was not only the greatest coach in our history but has to be among the top five in all-time coaches in college football.
John Brooks and I made a great team. The fact that he and I worked together for so long, I think we were a popular team, too. We just fit. And more than that, we were friends off the field. We went to various social functions together and we just meshed. There was a great chemistry between John and I.
I certainly respect Bob Barry Sr. in every way. Our relationship off the field was very, very good, but the way he put it once is something agree with, and that is that we didn't make as good a team as John Brooks and I did.
John Blake was a disappointment, a terrible disappointment. I know that he wanted to be, as an OU alum, to come back and be the kind of guy that puts together national championships. But he just wasn't a very good fit for our program and as a result we went through some very hard times. You kind of feel sorry for him because I had no problem with John off the field. He was a fine person, but he probably wasn't ready to be a head coach.
Howard *************** was really a misfit. He came in here with an ego far beyond what most people have as far as what he was going to do with the university. It just never worked out, and he just didn't get a feel for what OU tradition was, never did. And as a result, when they started losing, people just didn't want to have any part of him. It was just a bad fit.
Barry Switzer is one of those kinds of people that you can't help but like. He is so gregarious off the field, and on the field, too. Our relationship was very, very good. We didn't run around together under any circumstances, but I can't remember any time that Barry and I had a disagreement to the point where it affected our relationship.
B elieve it or not, I've only met Bob Stoops twice. I was retiring just about the time he was coming in. The only two times I met him, I was very, very impressed. Now, as a fan and as an alum, you have to really appreciate what he has done. I think he's the closest to Bud Wilkinson since Bud was here.
Gary Gibbs came into a situation where he just didn't win enough. And I think Gary's personality mitigated against him to some extent. He just was kind of aloof. He had a great mind and was a great coach, but he was one of those people like Gomer Jones years ago who just probably wasn't meant to be a head coach. Merv Johnson is the top of the line. I think people, when they see Merv Johnson, have to feel a little bit sorry for him because he deserved to be a head coach. He was a great assistant here and he was a great assistant everywhere he went. He deserved to be a head coach, but somehow that just passed him by for whatever reason. But he's one of the top, most respected people that I've ever met and certainly a great friend. But he never got the shot that he deserved.

boomersooner28
7/8/2007, 10:53 AM
Mike Treps is speechless.

BajaOklahoma
7/8/2007, 11:52 AM
I miss Mike and John.
And I agree with everything he said.

47straight
7/8/2007, 02:13 PM
Coach Merv might never have gotten a shot as a head coach, but I'm sure he had chances to go somewhere. What he got instead was a great relationship with his kids and never being run off from the best program in the country. That's gotta count for a lot.

Rogue
7/8/2007, 04:31 PM
How long has Merv been at OU?

Tear Down This Wall
7/9/2007, 11:23 AM
I sat with Treps' daughter during one of the 1999 road games. She said he'd have come back if they'd asked. She was classy about it. Said her dad really missed it. Her dad and Brooks got screwed royally.

I think she works for Texas A&M now.

7/9/2007, 01:47 PM
Mike's daughter and her husband are my son's Godparents. I've been fortunate enough to visit with Mike a few times... he is a walking encyclopedia of Sooner knowledge. I hope he is writing his memoirs.

Soonerfan88
7/9/2007, 06:25 PM
he is a walking encyclopedia of Sooner knowledge. I hope he is writing his memoirs.

If he isn't, suggest it. That would be an instant bestseller for OU fans.

Great interview, thanks for posting it.

King Crimson
7/9/2007, 07:29 PM
How long has Merv been at OU?

i'd guess since about 1980.

Skysooner
7/9/2007, 09:45 PM
I went to high school with Mike's daughter. Great person.

stoopified
7/9/2007, 10:00 PM
i'd guess since about 1980.
Close,he ws hired in 1979 from ND.Switzer called him to pick his brain for possible coaching candidate to come to OU.Merv said HOW BOUT ME? The rest AS THEY SAY IS HISTORY.

PLaw
7/9/2007, 11:16 PM
I miss Mike and John.
And I agree with everything he said.

Ditto, what he said. Trepps and Brooks were priceless. I can't recall all of the Saturday afternoons working on the car with Dad and listening to the Sooners roll down in Lovington, NM on KLEA.

Jimminy Christmas!

BOOMER
PLaw

critical_phil
7/9/2007, 11:38 PM
yes, brooksie and treps were awesome back in the day.

i noticed that treps wasn't asked about teaming up with al eschbach to call the OU baseball games.

bru.

tal.

OU Adonis
7/9/2007, 11:50 PM
So what did Treps and brooks do to **** off OU so bad?

KantoSooner
7/10/2007, 02:24 AM
The first words I taught my daughter were, "Touchdown, OKLAHOMA!" in that special delivery. Annoyed the hell out Texas relatives and friends. Made Grandpa smile, though.

Tear Down This Wall
7/10/2007, 09:11 AM
So what did Treps and brooks do to **** off OU so bad?

As I recall, they gave pretty honest assessments of what was happening down on the field during the Gibbs Era. At least Brooks did. And, he should have.

Gibbs had Jim Donnan, Larry Coker, and Watson Brown as offensive coordinators. Donnan won multiple national I-AA titles and took Marshall I-A. Coker has a national title ring. Brown took a I-AA UAB and has done a good job guiding them into I-A waters. If Gibbs had just left them alone and let them coach, no telling what might've been.

Brooks just would made comments from time to time on the air. Gibbs was terrible at handing the media anyway. Brooks being honest probably didn't help.

Then AD Donnie Duncan was already screwing up the budget and making bad hires, so screwing up the broadcast booth was just part of the package.

ouwapiti
7/10/2007, 07:38 PM
my favorite treps story is when he did 'the go, joe, go' against missouri in about '76 maybe???......little joe broke a long run for a winning td in the 4th quarter and treps uttered that exhortation in mid-run.......it was greatness and i remember it to this day...wish someone had a recording of it...

soonercop
7/11/2007, 09:50 AM
Here's Trepps calling the play with video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA

ouwapiti
7/11/2007, 08:08 PM
WOW, i cant believe i remembered what he said was wrong...it was only
'go joe'........too long ago i guess.....but man, i have wanted to hear that call for 30 years......was it 76??????