PDA

View Full Version : One of you experts have to know?

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 12:10 AM
A few months ago i had a mini schnauzer walk up to my house, so my fiance and i took her in and everything had been great. She was very playful, never aggressive and got along with my older dog as best as could be. We went and watched fireworks on wednesday and then thursday we noticed that the schnauzer had thrown up yellow stuff all over the bedroom. The schnauzer has been acting real wierd the last 2 days now in that she just sits around and doesnt eat or drink anything. She continues to throw up this yellow stuff.

Any of you experts know what is the matter with the dog?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/7/2007, 12:11 AM
Herpes simplex 10.

[edit]
But seriously...

You kept up with its shots?

Mongo
7/7/2007, 12:12 AM
sounds like he ate some yellow stuff that didnt agree with him.

sorry,:D

KC//CRIMSON
7/7/2007, 12:16 AM
Yellow foamy stuff? Are small dog does the same thing. I think it's just nerves or he ate a turd.

SCOUT
7/7/2007, 12:19 AM
My dogs throw up yellow stuff when they have somehow obstructed a passage way. It is usually something out of the trash like paper towels or fast food wrappers (yes I am a health nut) etc.

They usually get it up or pass it on through. I hear that there is a risk of severe blockage so I always keep a close eye on them for a day or two. I would take her to the vet if it has been a couple of days.

My .02

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 12:19 AM
Im thinking he got into something in the garage while we were watching fireworks..This is definitely something i dont need to be worrying about 7 days from my wedding day...

StoopTroup
7/7/2007, 12:22 AM
We had a Dachshund that would tear tennis balls to shreds. It would de-fur the ball and then some how chew on it till it could tear it into pieces. The darn dog could tell if I hid the tennis balls in a rubbermaid container and put it up on the top shelf of a closet. It would sit there a bark until I either gave it a ball or took it completely out of the house.

It got sick just like yours.

We took it to the vet and they went into his stomach and didn't find anything the 1st time...the second time they found a 2" x 1 1/2' piece of the tennis ball. It was lining the stomach and nothing would pass into the intestines. It would eat and then throw up.

Sounds like you might need a Vet.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/7/2007, 12:25 AM
To keep from writing this off as something simple, if you haven't kept his shots up, you need to get him to the vet. Pronto.

Yes, it could be something simple he got into.

But it could also be something serious. I had a pup when I was a kid that I didn't keep up on shots and he went down the exact same way. Yellowish colored vomit for about a week. Lethargic. Unwilling or able to take food or water. Next thing I know, he's foamed up at the mouth then dead in a matter of hours. The vet wrote it off to parvo and stressed keeping your dog up to date with a simple 7 in 1 vaccine.

If you've been on top of the game, it may be something simple. If you haven't, well, there's the lesson to learn from.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2007, 01:26 AM
Parvo is bad news, I would definitely take him to the vet.

birddog
7/7/2007, 01:31 AM
pancreitis causes dogs to throw up yellow junk. i'd get your dog to the vet, if not just for peace of mind.

SCOUT
7/7/2007, 01:31 AM
Im thinking he got into something in the garage while we were watching fireworks..This is definitely something i dont need to be worrying about 7 days from my wedding day...
Congratulations on your wedding! I am definitely hoping that it is something simpe, but it is better to find out sooner rather than later. Best of luck.

Vaevictis
7/7/2007, 05:54 AM
pancreitis causes dogs to throw up yellow junk. i'd get your dog to the vet, if not just for peace of mind.

... and apparently, pancreatitis is one of those diseases that are more common in miniature schnauzers.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2007, 06:00 AM

if it were pancreatitis, the dog would be dead by now.......trust me, my dog had it and they do much much more than throw up yellow stuff

yellow stuff is bile - could be alot of causes......best bet is a trip to the vet

OUinFLA
7/7/2007, 07:25 AM
like everyone else said, ask a vet.

in fact, you could ask olevet.

Rogue
7/7/2007, 08:27 AM
like everyone else said, ask a vet.

in fact, you could ask olevet.

He'll prescribe a Natty Lite and give you a warm puppy. :D

My dogs do that from time to time. But when they stop eating or drinking it's an automatic trip to the dog doc.

Fireworks really stress out many pooches and I have a dog that does the same thing as Stoop Troup's with the tennis balls. I swear he can smell them from across the room and know if we've hidden one in a cupboard or on top of the entertainment center or anywhere. He gets completely neurotic about it.

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 09:13 AM
well, got the dog an appointment today at 11:15. I am takin donations as i dont see this as being inexpensive.. Thanks for you guys help!

BajaOklahoma
7/7/2007, 09:36 AM
Good luck. I'm glad you are taking him in to the vet.
Positive thoughts for an easy, cheap treatment and quick recovery.

TopDaugIn2000
7/7/2007, 09:40 AM
Lit'l Man has done that twice, and it has been a bacterial infection both times. A round of antibiotics usually does the trick, but only after the vet does a couple hunnert in tests.

hope the little one gets better SOON!!!!!

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 11:04 AM
Ok, i finally figured out why she is doing this to me and gonna cost me so much money... This is from the Fourth of July, i dont think she liked it so much...And no, thats not me next to the raft, its my dad...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/P5080084.jpg

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 12:29 PM
Alright, whoever said Parvo is correct!! She is in the hospital courtesy of a $250 deposit and they are trying to treat the Parvo..THis sucks, there goes my poor little stash i had hidden for the wedding...Hopefully she will recover, otherwise i got some explaingin to do

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2007, 12:33 PM
Alright, whoever said Parvo is correct!! She is in the hospital courtesy of a $250 deposit and they are trying to treat the Parvo..THis sucks, there goes my poor little stash i had hidden for the wedding...Hopefully she will recover, otherwise i got some explaingin to do

That really sucks. I think Parvo is the deal where you have to bleach your backyard or wherever the little one has been using the facilities to kill the virus.

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, i just read that i have to bleach the back yard...I dont know how im gonna do that but we will see..

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2007, 12:57 PM
Just get one of those insecticide pump spray thingies and dilute some bleach in it. I have no idea what the concentration should be but it should work fine.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/images/SureSpray_1Gal.jpg

BajaOklahoma
7/7/2007, 02:28 PM
Positive thoughts headed your way. Just like with skin kids, the furries don't get sick at convenient times.

Since it's got a 7-10 day incubation period, were you or she around anyone different or at an unusual place? I'm thinking of the source of the parvo and not exposing her again.
Also, the location you were on the 4th needs to be treated too. And any place that you have taken her since. They may recommend any place that she was at for a few day prior to showing symptons, but I'm not sure.

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 03:09 PM
The only place she has been is at my aunts(the scene of the crime) and my house. I guess im gonna have to bleach the porch down and dispose of some food bowls..This sucks for real..

OUinFLA
7/7/2007, 03:12 PM
Positive thoughts headed your way. Just like with skin kids, the furries don't get sick at convenient times.

Since it's got a 7-10 day incubation period, were you or she around anyone different or at an unusual place? I'm thinking of the source of the parvo and not exposing her again.
Also, the location you were on the 4th needs to be treated too. And any place that you have taken her since. They may recommend any place that she was at for a few day prior to showing symptons, but I'm not sure.

Just bleach the whole state.
why be selective?

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2007, 03:42 PM
Just bleach the whole state.
why be selective?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5849/thatsracistdk6.gif

Tailwind
7/7/2007, 03:45 PM
Oh, poor little dog! I hope she can be saved. We lost 2 dogs to parvo a decade or so ago. It really, really sucked.

TopDaugIn2000
7/7/2007, 05:06 PM
oh man, that really stinks. sure hope she can beat it. wow

olevetonahill
7/7/2007, 05:15 PM
I hate to be the one to tell you , But you should have the vet put her down . Even if she pulls thru she will NEVER be right .
I love dogs more than Most and I dont like to see em suffer
Ive lost 2 to that shat also and it aint fun to watch .

Tulsa_Fireman
7/7/2007, 05:16 PM
Yes, I'm the shiznit.

Give it up to the Dog Whisperer and King of Parvo.

C'mon.

But seriously, good luck with it.

olevetonahill
7/7/2007, 05:20 PM
He'll prescribe a Natty Lite and give you a warm puppy. :D

My dogs do that from time to time. But when they stop eating or drinking it's an automatic trip to the dog doc.

Fireworks really stress out many pooches and I have a dog that does the same thing as Stoop Troup's with the tennis balls. I swear he can smell them from across the room and know if we've hidden one in a cupboard or on top of the entertainment center or anywhere. He gets completely neurotic about it.
Like Rouge said
Drink a natty , Put the dog down then come get a puppy . AFTER you treat your yard . That virus can live in the soil for 5 yrs or longer

TopDaugIn2000
7/7/2007, 05:39 PM
Did you take her to a Norman vet? which one?

Jerk
7/7/2007, 06:32 PM
Dog okay?

I like dogs.

Kick my wife, and I might be inclined to kick you.

Kick my dog, you get 2 in the chest, 1 in the head.

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 07:50 PM
I kind of thought the same thing about putting her down, but i thought for sure it would be a death wish if i had the fiance's dog put down a week before the wedding

Soonrboy
7/7/2007, 09:06 PM
Our lab had parvo when it was 12 weeks old, I think. we bought it to give my daughter a good dog to grow up with, she was just out of kindergarten. My little girl and I were in the vets office when they told us...then they told us how much the treatment was going to be...$750. I was turning my head to my daughter to tell her that her dog was going to die, when i saw the look...my girls big brown eyes full of water. Damn. They saved the dog.

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 09:08 PM
This vet said it would be like 400-500 dollars..I told them that if it goes over $500 then i will need to make another decision..

Okla-homey
7/7/2007, 09:09 PM
Our lab had parvo when it was 12 weeks old, I think. we bought it to give my daughter a good dog to grow up with, she was just out of kindergarten. My little girl and I were in the vets office when they told us...then they told us how much the treatment was going to be...$750. I was turning my head to my daughter to tell her that her dog was going to die, when i saw the look...my girls big brown eyes full of water. Damn. They saved the dog.

and you sir, learned through the eyes of your child...

A Dog Is For Life, Not Just For Christmas.:D

Norman Sooner
7/7/2007, 09:22 PM
They say this parvo can stay in the environment for crazy amounts of time..Anyone know what to use to clean the throw up and diareha up out of the carpet? Obviously bleach wont work, any suggestions?

Soonrboy
7/7/2007, 09:27 PM
we used the resolve carpet cleaning and the pet deodorizer stuff. You just can't have any other dogs in the house who have not been vaccinated against it for at least a year.

TopDaugIn2000
7/7/2007, 10:18 PM
They say this parvo can stay in the environment for crazy amounts of time..Anyone know what to use to clean the throw up and diareha up out of the carpet? Obviously bleach wont work, any suggestions?

once you've gone the $500, might as well finish it out.

I rented a rug doctor and used the bissell shampoo for pet stains, worked pretty well. even added a little "odo-ban" that I use when I mop to kill the smell.

add a little color safe bleach to the solution maybe???