PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend of 30 years needs our help!

MamaMia
7/6/2007, 05:46 PM
Our husbands went to the OU dental school together. They are the nicest folks you could ever meet. Our daughters were bridesmaids at each others weddings. They have a small dental practice in southeast Oklahoma and Emily helps out in the clinic like most of us wives do.

Their attorney is on vacation until the 16th, so we're it. :D

This is what happened. Emily said that a maid called her up to offer her services. This lady charged by the hour. Emily asked if she could pay her on the 1st and 15th. She agreed, so Emily decided to give her a try. Before she started, the maid asked if they would trade dental work for her maid service, complaining that she had a toothache. Emily felt bad that the lady was in so much pain and wanted to help her, so she scheduled her an appointment even though they aren't really able to accept new patients at this time. She has a big heart. :)

So apparently, the girl did some work at either their home or their clinic the next morning, had her tooth taken care of the following day and worked another couple of hours for them the following Monday and never showed up again. On the patients forms that she filled out on the day of her appointment, she wrote down that she was on state assistance with Soonercare and also claimed she had dental insurance through her 'boyfriends' company. Well, Emily called both places but the state Soonercare people said they don't have anyone by that name in their files and her boyfriends insurance company told her that his coverage didn't even start until July. They did her dental work on the 15th of June. Emily filed the claims anyway but hasn't gotten anything back. So this woman has an outstanding bill for a couple a hundred dollars at their clinic and to top it off, on June 29th she filed a claim against Emily's husband with the Oklahoma Wage and Labor Board for $70.00 for her maid service. They got a copy of it in the mail today.

I'm no attorney but since Emily and her husband have never taken taxes out when they pay for maid services, doesn't that make them contract labor, and if so, why is the Oklahoma Dept. of Wage and Labor involved?

yermom
7/6/2007, 05:54 PM
well, at least you know where to find her, right?

BajaOklahoma
7/6/2007, 05:58 PM
Did Emily get her sign any agreement to work at the house?
Any other witnesses to the agreement to trade dental work for cleaning?
Copy of Driver's License?

I would sent a letter to the Labor Board stating that their attorney is on vacation until the 16th. That should (hopefully) give them an extension on the reply.

Somebody with actual knowledge of the law should be along to help.

Sooner24
7/6/2007, 05:59 PM
Just garnishee her wages. ;)

OUinFLA
7/6/2007, 06:29 PM
Is she hawt?

Flagstaffsooner
7/6/2007, 06:43 PM
Sounds like the maid is a pro scammer.

PhxSooner
7/6/2007, 07:00 PM
Do nothing until the attorney gets back. Sounds like she had a sob story to get dental care.

olevetonahill
7/6/2007, 07:04 PM
Tell em to dispute it then wait on the attorney

MamaMia
7/6/2007, 07:10 PM
Sounds like the maid is a pro scammer. I'll bet shes a con artist. Get your teeth fixed for free and charge the dentist. Its free to file one of those complaints, but Emily with have to pay her lawyer.

CUinNC
7/6/2007, 07:15 PM
I call FUBAR.....legalese may not work.....she's a pro and it will be pro-bono...

find out where she resides & let the hell come down....otherwise it's a loss...IMHO

Jimminy Crimson
7/6/2007, 07:33 PM
Call INS? :texan:

MamaMia
7/6/2007, 08:56 PM
I just spoke to her. They've decided not to use a lawyer at all. None of their friends, including us, feel that the woman has a leg to stand on. They're going to fill out the questionnaire and feel that once the Wage and Labor people realize that this maid, as well as the other 5 they have had throughout the years, were not employees, but service providers. No taxes were taken out. No W-2 was ever filled out. This would be like a plumber or an electrician calling the wage and labor board on someone.

I told her not to worry. :)

tulsaoilerfan
7/6/2007, 09:57 PM
Girlfriend? Do tell us more mama. :D ;)

OUAndy1807
7/6/2007, 10:08 PM
tell them to pay her the $70. that's half an hour or less of a lawyers time. nobody wins when you get lawyers involved except the lawyers.

OUinFLA
7/6/2007, 10:11 PM
tell them to pay her the $70. that's half an hour or less of a lawyers time. nobody wins when you get lawyers involved except the lawyers.

spek

Soonerus
7/6/2007, 10:15 PM

That is a very unsophisticated and uneducated type of analysis...

OUAndy1807
7/6/2007, 10:19 PM
That is a very unsophisticated and uneducated type of analysis...
is it as unsophisticated and uneducated as bartering dental services for cleaning services without any kind of signed contract or W9/W2's being exchanged? (no offense mamamia)

Soonerus
7/6/2007, 10:22 PM
No comment on Mamamia's issue but if you have ever had good legal services you would know they can save you thousands even millions of dollars...

OUAndy1807
7/6/2007, 10:31 PM
we're talking about $70. I didn't figure anyone would take my comment to mean "never use lawyers, ever"

olevetonahill
7/6/2007, 10:41 PM
I just spoke to her. They've decided not to use a lawyer at all. None of their friends, including us, feel that the woman has a leg to stand on. They're going to fill out the questionnaire and feel that once the Wage and Labor people realize that this maid, as well as the other 5 they have had throughout the years, were not employees, but service providers. No taxes were taken out. No W-2 was ever filled out. This would be like a plumber or an electrician calling the wage and labor board on someone.

I told her not to worry. :)
A int that what I said ?
Dispute it then if it goes on get there Shark on it ?
By the way is she HAWT ?

goingoneight
7/6/2007, 11:21 PM
30 years and you still haven't tied the knot??? :D

OUinFLA
7/7/2007, 07:22 AM
Don't you have to report wages and pay FICA or report on a 1099 form on maids if you pay them over a certain amount per year? ($2500 ?). Otherwise, you are in trouble with the IRS, I think.
Not to worry you, but before you mention the previous 5 maids to anyone, you might want to see if you paid them over the minimum amount for reporting in any one year.
But, Im not an accountant, better check with Stanley1.

Mjcpr
7/7/2007, 08:44 AM
Andy is such an uneducated, unsophisticated rube. :D

:D

MamaMia
7/7/2007, 11:14 AM
No, I most certainly will not tell her to do that.
Emily is taking olevets advice. :D

SoonerStormchaser
7/7/2007, 11:27 AM
Sounds like an illegal freeloader at work...

phead903
7/7/2007, 12:22 PM
I say stick it to the scammer like she's never been stuck before.

Teach that skank a lesson for sure.

Respectfully-

-sg06

OUinFLA
7/7/2007, 12:58 PM
No, I most certainly will not tell her to do that.
Emily is taking olevets advice. :D

That'll be a first !

MamaMia
7/7/2007, 02:52 PM
Not to worry. My brother made a phone call. Its been taken care of. :)

OUinFLA
7/7/2007, 03:08 PM
is your brother in the mob?
or <gasp> in the Immigration Service?

olevetonahill
7/7/2007, 05:23 PM
That'll be a first !
Hey I represent that remark :eek:
Some folks recognise wisdom when they see it :P

MamaMia
7/7/2007, 05:33 PM
is your brother in the mob?
or <gasp> in the Immigration Service?
Oh my Goddess. You must have ESPN. :eek:

Seriously though, he just simply explained all the facts to a golfing buddy of his who has some pull in that department. I just called Emily and told her to fill out the question form and gave her my brothers friends fax number to send it all to.

Hey I represent that remark :eek:
Some folks recognise wisdom when they see it :P:D

Okla-homey
7/7/2007, 08:45 PM
My non-legal advice? Pay whatever it takes to make this go away and be smarter next time.

Where I come from, we call this a 3 credit hour course in the "School of Hard Knocks."

SoonerGirl06
7/7/2007, 08:55 PM
Not to worry. My brother made a phone call. Its been taken care of. :)

Hmmmm... he sounds like my cousin in New York who's in the sanitation business. ;)

Okla-homey
7/7/2007, 08:57 PM
Hmmmm... he sounds like my cousin in New York who's in the waste management business. ;)

fixed it.

MamaMia
7/7/2007, 08:58 PM
My non-legal advice? Pay whatever it takes to make this go away and be smarter next time.

Where I come from, we call this a 3 credit hour course in the "School of Hard Knocks."
It was not necessary for you to insinuate that my dear friend is un-smart for helping this woman out of the kindness of her heart and after I was happy to report that the slap in the face she got for it has been taken care of. Actually, your post comes off as being rather rude.

SoonerGirl06
7/7/2007, 09:04 PM
You know, it is such a shame that people can't do acts of kindness without fear of being scammed by lowlifes like the woman your friend encountered Mama.

OUinFLA
7/7/2007, 09:04 PM
Homey rude? :eek:

What do you think this is? The SO or something?

Okla-homey
7/7/2007, 09:06 PM
It was not necessary for you to insinuate that my dear friend is un-smart for helping this woman out of the kindness of her heart and after I was happy to report that the slap in the face she got for it has been taken care of. Actually, your post comes off as being rather rude.

Not my intention. Further, my experience has been that people who try to help folks out occasionally get hosed. That is no reason not to be kind, but it is a reason to be more careful.

Anyway, I came into this rather late and only read your initial post.

MamaMia
7/7/2007, 09:08 PM
You know, it is such a shame that people can't do acts of kindness without fear of being scammed by lowlifes like the woman your friend encountered Mama. Yes, its a shame. Emily and her husband will be blessed for their efforts because they're the kind of people who easily forgive. :)

SoonerGirl06
7/7/2007, 09:13 PM
Yes, its a shame. Emily and her husband will be blessed for their efforts because they're the kind of people who easily forgive. :)

Yes, they will be.

I've been burned a few times myself and I could stop makingn the effort to be kind because of those experiences, but it's been my philosophy to always take the high road and do what's right....

unless they totally **** me off, then vengence is mine!!!!

;) :D

Okla-homey
7/8/2007, 07:11 AM
It's rather like those folks who stand at busy intersections holding cardboard signs saying things like "Broke. No Eat since last Tuesday. Anything Will Help."

Just try handing the guy a sandwich, instead of five bucks, and see how appreciative he is.

Rogue
7/8/2007, 08:05 AM
Really there is no reason to go hungry in America. I support the soup kitchens, Salvation Army, etc. I believe that a few panhandlers need the $$, but I can't believe it's for food.

I honestly think this is a "write-off" situation. A collections agency might take it up, but I wouldn't expect to get anything from it.

TUSooner
7/8/2007, 03:21 PM

STFU, AZZhole!!!

TUSooner, Esq.

It's mostly true, though.