PDA

View Full Version : And it will still be easier to understand than Bob Barry

Paperclip
7/6/2007, 03:07 PM
By Mel Bracht
The Oklahoman

As a service to Oklahoma City's fast-growing Hispanic population, KTUZ-FM 106.7 ("La Zeta”) will present the first-ever Spanish-language broadcast of an OU athletic event on Sept. 8 when it airs the Miami-OU football game."This is a historic undertaking for our station,” said Tyler Media market manager Skip Stow.

If the broadcast is successful, Stow said the station plans to discuss a long-term broadcast agreement with OU.

"We see this as an avenue to expand a very large fan base and we are pleased that we can partner with Skip Stow,” OU athletic director Joe Castiglione said.

"We want Spanish-speaking citizens to know that we embrace them for our events and we will seek other ways to encourage their interaction with our programs.”

Stow said Arbitron ranks the Oklahoma City radio market with 77,000 Hispanics 12 years of age and older and said other estimates place the metro's Hispanic population at more than 200,000. He noted that 37 percent of the students in the Oklahoma City Public Schools come from Spanish-dominant households.

One of Oklahoma City's fastest growing radio stations, KTUZ ranked 13th in the market in the winter Arbitron ratings.

Tyler Media also owns TV station KTUZ-30 "Telemundo,” which is carried on Cox channel 5. The TV station's sports director, Rene Nava, will broadcast the game with analyst James Kopelman and statistician Gabriel Ocegueda.

KTUZ's broadcast team did a practice run by covering the OU spring game. Stow then gave the go ahead for the OU-Miami broadcast, just eight days before the Mexican independence holiday Sept. 16.

Miami also will cover the game with its Spanish-speaking network, and Stow said his radio station plans to interact with the Miami network. The University of Texas is the only Big 12 school with a Spanish-language broadcast.

OSUAggie
7/6/2007, 03:18 PM
heh, I feel sorry for the hispanics that have to listen to James Kopelman analyze the game.

This is a pretty solid idea, I think.

fwsooner22
7/6/2007, 03:25 PM
I just went to Borders and bought all their "spanish made easy" literature and "speak spanish in a week DVD's". I am so happy that I am finally going to understand an OU play by play announcer.

My day, my year and my season have been made.

Seamus
7/6/2007, 04:35 PM
I wonder if we'll hear "pinche joto aggies" when we play osEwe ... :cool:

Landthief 1972
7/6/2007, 05:09 PM
Will the announcer get confused after a touchdown and yell,

"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL LLLL!!!"

sooneron
7/6/2007, 06:10 PM
Hey, at least they will pronounce Iglesias correctly!

King Crimson
7/6/2007, 06:15 PM
what are the chances Eddie Najera isn't a part of being promotional on-air for this? it's a great business move.

goingoneight
7/6/2007, 11:33 PM
first and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL el Oklahoma Sooneros!!!

birddog
7/7/2007, 01:07 AM
i don't have a problem with bob barry. sure he makes mistakes but hearing his voice on saturdays brings back some good memories.

any idea on who may replace him?

ELP Sooner
7/7/2007, 02:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EpjJ-XLwt0

Andres "GOOOOOOOOOL" Cantor

birddog
7/7/2007, 08:55 AM
that's much better than the monotonous GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL, GOLASSO!

Flagstaffsooner
7/7/2007, 09:46 AM
"Senor Mervo, Mi just lost mi taco."

budbarrybob
7/7/2007, 06:18 PM
Barry is an icon at OU. Yes he makes mistakes and yes it is hard to understand him. The people in chicago griped about Harry Carey's performance at the Cub's games, but they really missed the ol' "baffoon" when he died suddenly. I say keep BB1 around. Really, who listens to the games anyway without the TV on? And for the 2 games vs Baylor and NW nowhere state does 100% accuracy really matter when we can "listen/understand" a radio icon?

dog-knee
7/7/2007, 09:25 PM
Bob Barry is a Sooner icon? Are you kidding me? He is absolutely the worst play by play guy it has ever been my misfortune to hear. He never gets the names of the players right the first time, he never gives the listener a feel for what is happening on the field, and he's constantly wrong about penalty calls, in-bounds/out-of-bounds, and who got/took/retained possession of the football. His only positive attribute is that he (accidently) sets up worthwhile analysis from Merv.

Back during the blackout NCAA sanction years of 73-74, listening to Mike Treps was a pleasure. When I finally saw Little Joe's punt return against USC on YouTube, it felt like deja vu because I can still remember Treps going crazy trying to describe Joe's moves, spins, and reversing field. Bob Barry still thnks Heupel is throwing the football for the Big Red. Sheesh.

Who among the Sooner faithful wouldn't rather turn off Musberger's voice, and turn on a decent play by play from a knowledgable, articulate Sooner broadcaster?

Local FM stations could sell some serious commercial time if Bob Barry was replaced -- by just about anybody.

Anyway, that's what I think.

I could be wrong.

goingoneight
7/8/2007, 01:21 AM
Bob Barry is a Sooner icon? Are you kidding me? He is absolutely the worst play by play guy it has ever been my misfortune to hear. He never gets the names of the players right the first time, he never gives the listener a feel for what is happening on the field, and he's constantly wrong about penalty calls, in-bounds/out-of-bounds, and who got/took/retained possession of the football. His only positive attribute is that he (accidently) sets up worthwhile analysis from Merv.

Back during the blackout NCAA sanction years of 73-74, listening to Mike Treps was a pleasure. When I finally saw Little Joe's punt return against USC on YouTube, it felt like deja vu because I can still remember Treps going crazy trying to describe Joe's moves, spins, and reversing field. Bob Barry still thnks Heupel is throwing the football for the Big Red. Sheesh.

Who among the Sooner faithful wouldn't rather turn off Musberger's voice, and turn on a decent play by play from a knowledgable, articulate Sooner broadcaster?

Local FM stations could sell some serious commercial time if Bob Barry was replaced -- by just about anybody.

Anyway, that's what I think.

I could be wrong.

BBS will retire someday. And all of you retarded folks ripping him will fuind something new to bitch about. And call me crazy, but I would rather have Musburger than someone on an AM radio screeching...

:les: PISTOLS FIRING!!!

OklahomaTuba
7/8/2007, 01:47 AM
I wonder if LSU broadcasts their games in cajun?

aurorasooner
7/8/2007, 08:08 AM
I wonder if we'll hear "pinche joto aggies" when we play osEweLa Zeta is already on top of the advertising, since nobody and certainly most Hispanics have ever heard of OSwho or Pistol Pete. The new tickets will have a pic of "Slow-Poke Rodriguez" to represent the aggies. http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7830/screenshot042kn4.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
7/8/2007, 09:33 AM
La Zeta is already on top of the advertising, since nobody and certainly most Hispanics have ever heard of OSwho or Pistol Pete. The new tickets will have a pic of "Slow-Poke Rodriguez" to represent the aggies. http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7830/screenshot042kn4.jpg

That's just damn funny.

fwsooner22
7/8/2007, 01:43 PM
It's up to Bob to know when to retire. It's clear that he has failed at that as well.

Landthief 1972
7/9/2007, 09:22 AM
BBS will retire someday. And all of you retarded folks ripping him will fuind something new to bitch about.

Yep, it's retarded to want your play-by-play announcer to actually give you... accurate play-by-play. Much better to listen to him ramble and bumble through a broadcast and reminisce about the good old days when he was at the top of his game. :rolleyes: For nostalgia's sake, let's also make the players wear leather helmets and ban the forward pass!

This isn't about ageism, either. It's about knowing when to let go and move on, and apparently BBS hasn't figured that one out.

BBS couldn't hold Mike Trep's jockstrap.

ADs_Agent
7/9/2007, 10:17 AM
is there anything out there you ladies don't complain about?

Petro-Sooner
7/11/2007, 09:16 AM
I cant believe this. Of course with JoeC its not a surprise I guess. Very sad deal. I hope it fails.

SwitzerFan
7/11/2007, 10:10 AM
You can tell by the excitement when doing his job that he is a true Sooner fan. He loves it. He may not remember names etc. but he loves being a Sooner. I would rather have a person that has crimson flowing thru him than a good announcer. He truly understands what it is to be a Sooner.

Petro-Sooner
7/11/2007, 10:15 AM
You can tell by the excitement when doing his job that he is a true Sooner fan. He loves it. He may not remember names etc. but he loves being a Sooner. I would rather have a person that has crimson flowing thru him than a good announcer. He truly understands what it is to be a Sooner.

I feel the exact opposite. I would rather listen to someone that is good at what they do than wonder the whole time what in the world is going on.

He'll step down soon enough. Just be patient.