PDA

View Full Version : CFN Best games of the year

BermudaSooner
7/6/2007, 01:09 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/655901.html

3. Oklahoma vs. Texas, Oct. 6
The rivalry is back on in a big way. From 2000 to 2004, the question was whether or not Texas, and more specifically, Mack Brown, could beat an OU program that returned to national prominence under Bob Stoops. After a dominant 45-12 spanking in 2005, Texas finally broke the hex, but there was a little bit of a "yeah, but" about it. Yeah, Texas won, but Adrian Peterson was banged up and Brown had Vince Young to carry the team. All Longhorn concerns stopped last year with a 28-10 win, but while Texas won the battle, OU won the war, reeling off six straight wins for the Big 12 title. This year, both teams are loaded with each good enough to win the national title. The Sooners will get Miami in Norman early on, but shouldn't be tested in the other four games and should come in 5-0. Texas will have a nasty landmine in TCU to sidestep, and a revenge date with Kansas State to deal with, but it should also be 5-0. Texas has the quarterback edge and will be stronger in the defensive front seven, but OU will have the far better offensive line and far, far better secondary. The Sooner front five will control the tempo and get the running game going, while the secondary will do a better job on the insanely good Texas receiving corps than the Texas secondary will do on the insanely good OU receiving corps. This will be when OU makes a statement that it'll be in the hunt for the national championship all season long.
Predicted score in July: Oklahoma 23 ... Texas 17

Also on Oct 6th, I hope that doesn't mean we get the 11:00 am kick-off.

1. Florida at LSU, Oct. 6
The big debate at the end of last year was whether or not Ohio State and Michigan should face each other in a rematch for the national championship. As the bowl games showed, the debate should've been about how the powers-that-be could've come up with a rematch of the Gators and Tigers after the bowls had been played. Florida won an early October showdown 23-10, but that was in The Swamp. Now LSU gets the national champions in Death Valley, where it won 21-17 in 2005. Considering the superstar status of both programs, they've never faced each other for the SEC title, and they might finally do it this year. But first, LSU will take care of business despite getting tagged for at least two big plays from the Florida receiving corps. The Tiger defensive front will keep Tim Tebow from running, and should come up with several sacks. Florida will be a little more battle tested, having already played Tennessee and Auburn, but it'll run into a defensive buzzsaw. If Urban Meyer had more than a week to prepare, the Gators would pull off the upset. He doesn't, and they won't.
Predicted score in July: LSU 26 ... Florida 13

colinreturn
7/6/2007, 05:14 PM
florida lsu should be the night game on cbs.
while ou tex will be on abc, probably the 3 pm start

oupride
7/6/2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Bermuda!

King Crimson
7/6/2007, 06:18 PM
i'd really like to not see us give up head-shaking, game breaking 3rd and longs against UT before i pick us to win.

goingoneight
7/6/2007, 07:30 PM
I'd like for OUr defense to prove they can stop real programs, first. Their defense has come up with consistent answers to OUr attack the last three years, holding us to a combined total of 34 points. If OUr QB doesn't jel quickly, we are in danger of a shut out. If OUr defense stinks again, we're in danger of a blowout. I think it all comes down to focus. If OUr team can really zone-in and play like they did after the Texass game last year, we'll do alright. And we'll get an 11:00 AM kickoff like we always do. I have no problem with this. It's part of the tradition that simply shouldn't be messed with.

illinisooner
7/6/2007, 07:41 PM
It was 2:30 last year and extremely hot. The Cotton Bowl folks also decided to run out of water by halftime. The 11 AM start inadvertantly causes some people to miss the start of the game due to traffic/poor planning. Night game is out of the question; ABC wanted it to be the Sat night game of the week last year, but both schools immediately nixed the idea. 2:30 would be nice as long as it's not so hot...like last year.

IronHorseSooner
7/6/2007, 08:56 PM
Looking at the list, LSU and SUC have some tough, tough games. I really don't think that BOTH will go undefeated this year, in particular LSU in the SEC, especially with :les: at the helm. SUC will have a "Doh!" loss, like they did with Oregon State and UCLA last year. The PAC-10 is getting closer to SUC because the other schools are now getting some of that West Coast talent. SUC will have two losses by the end of the year, LSU will have one.

goingoneight
7/6/2007, 08:59 PM
:stunned: wut bcs bole r we gona be in?

oumartin
7/6/2007, 11:12 PM
I so wanna win that game more than the Miami game!

insuranceman_22
7/7/2007, 01:14 AM
I'd like for OUr defense to prove they can stop real programs, first. Their defense has come up with consistent answers to OUr attack the last three years, holding us to a combined total of 34 points. If OUr QB doesn't jel quickly, we are in danger of a shut out. If OUr defense stinks again, we're in danger of a blowout. I think it all comes down to focus. If OUr team can really zone-in and play like they did after the Texass game last year, we'll do alright. And we'll get an 11:00 AM kickoff like we always do. I have no problem with this. It's part of the tradition that simply shouldn't be messed with.

Actually last year OUr defense played pretty well in this game. OUr offense got us beat with numerous turnover's and the the phantom touchdown on the swing pass to AD. I think even if the QB position isn't gelled perfectly, no shutout will occur, but it may not be good for the Sooners. If we don't have turnovers, we should be fine. As much as I admire PT for what he did last year, he wan't a good throwing QB. BradHalzNichol (whichever) is going to be a better passer than PT was. Now he won't have the leadership and may not make reads as well (or maybe he'll be better), but he will be a more accurate passer. With OUr talent at WR and TE and their possible weak secondary, something good is going to happen (fingers crossed)

SoonerStormchaser
7/7/2007, 11:21 AM
We'll be fine guys. Texass will be the bookies' favorite this year...and we know what usually happens when they're the favorite.