PDA

View Full Version : Does Oklahoma ask about a history of seizures when...

OUDoc
7/6/2007, 12:50 PM
...getting your driving permit? It's been a few years since I applied for a permit.;)

sooner_born_1960
7/6/2007, 01:01 PM
They didn't when I got my permit.

Petro-Sooner
7/6/2007, 01:29 PM
I dont remember.

OUDoc
7/6/2007, 01:31 PM
Where's Sic 'Em when I need him? :)

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/6/2007, 01:53 PM
I'm sure one of him is running around here somewhere...

OUTromBoNado
7/7/2007, 02:02 AM
...getting your driving permit? It's been a few years since I applied for a permit.;)

Yes, you have to inform the Dept. of Public Safety if the applicant has a history of epilepsy...even for just a learner's permit. I have epilepsy, but it's controlled by medication. I had my first one when I was 10 years old...was on medicine for 10 years. Then, I was taken off medication for 18 months when I had my second seizure...told by the doc 3 months prior never to come back....I was a freshman in high school then.

I can't remember what the length of time between seizures must be for driving to be allowed. I've been on medicine ever since that second one, and DPS requires me to get an evaluation form filled out by the doc every-other year (was initially every year) stating that my condition is just fine. If it's not filled out, my license gets revoked.

If you have a seizure, you're required by law to report it to DPS and surrender your license until it's proven that you're condition has stabilized. I've thought about trying to go off medication (or changing it), but I do too much driving now, and I'm scared to death of doing it. As long as the side effects of the medicine are not causing me any harm, I'll take it for the rest of my life if I have to.

I have relatives that have seizures far worse than me. I count myself very lucky among those with epilepsy.

OUDoc
7/7/2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks, I thought self-reporting was required.

SoonerStormchaser
7/7/2007, 03:51 PM
In nearly every state, it is. I know Ohio required full disclosure when I got my license there.

Okla-homey
7/7/2007, 04:13 PM
I've seen some case law in which people who knowingly drove despite a history of siezures were charged with a crime when they plowed into somebody after losing control of themselves.

MamaMia
7/7/2007, 04:43 PM
Re: Does Oklahoma ask about a history of seizures when...
getting your driving permit? It's been a few years since I applied for a permit.;)
If they do, just tell them that...Yes, you seize the day every chance you get? :D

OUTromBoNado
7/8/2007, 04:47 AM
I've seen some case law in which people who knowingly drove despite a history of siezures were charged with a crime when they plowed into somebody after losing control of themselves.

Yup. I believe some cases the driver was actually charged with murder or manslaughter. I think most states put the responsibility of reporting on the patient (in an effort to maintain confidentiality). However, I read that in the UK a doctor is required by law to break confidentiality if the patient fails to report a seizure.

Okla-homey
7/8/2007, 07:07 AM
I would imagine car insurance could be a real b---h to get if the company knows a potential insured has a tendency to spaz-out occasionally.