PDA

View Full Version : I'll be giving away a ton of my CDs soon...

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2007, 10:16 AM
Look...

I've got a 16 month old boy and a little girl due in December. Lately, the now walking boy has been pulling out my old CDs while I sit at the computer. Many hearken back to my younger years and have scary covers - Iron Maiden, Dio, Ted Nugent in loincloth, etc.

So, for the good of my growing family, it's time for me to be an old, farty codger and give up the loud and scary stuff. For some reason, Maiden's Eddie doesn't hold any appeal to me anymore and I don't want my kids being scared by it.

Plus, I never really listen to the stuff much anymore anyway.

So, I'm taking time this month to copy the songs I like from each disk, then I'm giving them all away. Giving. Not selling.

I'll post a complete list later, but it includes at minimum Dio's Holy Diver, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast, Nugent's Two-Disk Box Set from a few years back, a few Ozzy, a bunch of Van Halen...you get the picture.

If anyone is interested in any of it, let me know. It'll be a few weeks before I can get it all listened to and copied, so...patience, grasshoppers.

SoonerStormchaser
7/6/2007, 10:22 AM
Screw that...show your manhood and start playing "Holy Diver", "Cat Scratch Fever" and other hard rock songs while your son is trashing your CD's.

He'll go away and you'll be left to your awesome rock'n roll solitude!

OUHOMER
7/6/2007, 10:25 AM
dude dont do it. just box them and hang on to them. I gave away all of mine now i regret it. I wish nugent i still had my old stuff

Mjcpr
7/6/2007, 10:26 AM
Don't let them go outside either, there is some scary stuff out there.

Also, no TV.

RacerX
7/6/2007, 11:37 AM
I'd understand if you were talking about Controlled Dangerous Substances, but this is music.

You listened to it and look how you turned out.

On second thought, burn 'em all.

Seriously, if you don't want the kids to hear it for a while, box 'em and store them in a closet. You'll regret getting rid of them.

Oh, and in the world of kid music, Laurie Berkner is awesome. I also give a thumbs up to Jack's Big Music show Vol 1 and the Backyardigans cd.

Also, For the Kids and For the Kids too. Really good cds.

SoonerGirl06
7/6/2007, 11:49 AM
KEEP THEM!!!!

You'll regret it later if you don't....

but if you feel you must go ahead and give 'em away... I'll be glad to help take them off of your hands... :D

SoonerJack
7/6/2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, hang on to your CDs. I still have my vinyl and wish I knew what happened to all of my 8-tracks...especially my Kansas - Leftoverture, Eagles - Hotel California, Boston - Boston, and several KISS carts.

Octavian
7/6/2007, 12:15 PM
Import all the music on your CDs into iTunes and then throw them away.

YWIA.

BajaOklahoma
7/6/2007, 12:28 PM
Copy over what you want, then box them up and store them away from heat.
When the kids are teenagers, pull them out and let them laugh over the stuff that you listened to - if you stil have something to play them on.

I still have a bunch of LPs and a good player (if only it had a good needle). I've heard they are coming back.

StoopTroup
7/6/2007, 12:33 PM
Will CDs become the next 8 track?

King Crimson
7/6/2007, 12:34 PM
Import all the music on your CDs into iTunes and then throw them away.

YWIA.

at least. don't get rid of them. i sold about 3/4 of a huge vinyl collection which i deeply regret.

King Crimson
7/6/2007, 12:36 PM
I still have a bunch of LPs and a good player (if only it had a good needle). I've heard they are coming back.

this is the problem, no one makes the stylus anymore. my mom has a killer turntable but we can't find a stylus for it. i have an old Yamaha but it's in a box for the same reason.

SoonerGirl06
7/6/2007, 01:07 PM
Turntables definitely need to make a comeback.

Vinyls are worth some money depending on their condition, etc. Worth holding on to them for sure.

crawfish
7/6/2007, 01:10 PM
I'll hold onto all of them until you come to your senses someday and want 'em back.

I promise. ;)

phead903
7/6/2007, 01:19 PM
2 years ago for Christmas, my daughter wanted a turntable so she could listen to all of my old albums - I got the last one that Radio Shack had - and bought an extra stylus!!

For a science fair project, she compared the sound reproduction of a cd and an album (she picked Dark Side of the Moon) and showed that you get richer, fuller sound from albums than cds!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/6/2007, 01:19 PM
Put me on your "wanna see the titles" list.

Boarder
7/6/2007, 01:38 PM
Also, let the kids listen to The Sippy Cups.

King Crimson
7/6/2007, 02:32 PM
my uncle gave me dark side of the moon, moving pictures, and the best of cream when i was in 4th grade. those and some headphones....hell yeah.

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2007, 04:20 PM
My wife, who hates all of the music I listened to as a teenager, for some reason wants me to keep them. She also thinks they'll be worth money someday. The thing is...I have a job. That's better than waiting for an old Iron Miaden CD to because worth big wads of cash.

Besides, I've already got five or six huge-gantic boxes of baseball cards from when I was a kid and started collecting back in 1976. That's more my "maybe it'll be worth something someday" stash. Plus, there nothing in the baseball cards that could scare the kids...except maybe Bake McBride's afro....

By the way, my wife (from Mexico, remember) doesn't get the baseball card thing. A couple of weeks ago, I dragged a box down and was going through them. I made the mistake of leaving the box out when I went to work the next day.

Well, the boy wandered over, stuck his hand up on the table to feel around, like 16-month olds will do, and randomly grabbed a 1990 Mark McGwire and spent the rest of the day carrying it around the house and wadding it up.

I got home and saw it in the floor. I said to my wife, "Uh...." She just said, "Don't leave your cards out and he won't get them." Good point...I suppose. :( She doesn't even know who Mark McGwire is.

King Crimson
7/6/2007, 04:33 PM
bake mcbride, yeah.