PDA

View Full Version : Nice story about J-Dub's life after football

Okla-homey
7/6/2007, 08:10 AM
:)

Life after football: White's new life

KELLY KERR / Tulsa World

http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/20159/2002263075741544230_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002263075741544230)
Former OU quarterback Jason White, shown during a 2006 charity golf tournament at Cedar Ridge Country Club, is a busy man these days. In addition to traveling the state hosting golf tournaments and raising money for charities, White is co-owner of two stores and is a marketing representative for a Norman-based firm that finances insurance premiums.

GO INTO THE Athlete's Foot on 104th and South Western in Oklahoma City some weekend and you might get a rare treat: a personal shoe fitting from a Heisman Trophy winner.

"It's pretty neat," said Jason White, the one-time Oklahoma quarterback who shattered passing records and flew to New York City to pick up the 2003 Heisman.

"You get a kick out of when kids come in and they want shoes and you're helping them. They're just staring at you the whole time, like, 'I can't believe you put my shoes on.' It's been good for me."

These days, White is co-owner of the shoe and apparel store, as well as co-owner of A Store Divided, another Oklahoma City retail sportswear shop specializing in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State gear. He's also a marketing representative for a Norman-based firm -- owned and operated by 1969 OU Heisman winner Steve Owens -- that finances insurance premiums. He's also busy traveling the state and hosting golf tournaments, raising money for various charities, including his own, the Oklahoma Brain Tumor Foundation.

"He's got a tremendous work ethic. He's so responsible," Owens said. "I've been impressed with everything about him. I think truly he approaches business and his life outside football the same way he approached football. That's why he was successful."

Come September, a bronze statue of White will be unveiled alongside a bronze statue of Owens at OU's Heisman Park, a courtyard just west of Memorial Stadium that commemorates the program's four Heisman winners.

Once shy and sometimes even sullen with media and fans, White now stops to shake every hand, pose for every picture and sign every autograph -- and does so with an appreciative smile. The kid from Tuttle, the son of a cement mason, the skinny quarterback who once hated the spotlight now seems comfortable with his own celebrity.

"I think I'm getting used to the fact that pretty much wherever I go, I'm going to run into people that may want an autograph or take a picture or just say hi," White said. "I've kind of accepted that and gotten better with it."

White, who turned 27 on June 19, got married last July. His wife, Tammy, gave birth to his second child, son Tandon, on Jan. 2 (he was heading back to Oklahoma from the Fiesta Bowl when she went into labor, but he arrived on time); his first child, daughter Tinley -- immortalized during White's Heisman acceptance speech -- is now 4.

Catch Jason White at an Oklahoma Blood Institute blood drive or at the Tulsa Raceway Park for Josh Heupel's 14 Foundation, and he's dressed casually in jeans or shorts, an oversized T-shirt and athletic shoes. Don't bother checking for bling.

"Nope. I wear a ring, that's it," he said. "That's because I have to."

Meanwhile, many of those whom with he played -- Jammal Brown, Mark Bradley, Mark Clayton, Davin Joseph, Adrian Peterson, etc. -- are living the dream, making it big in the National Football League. White's own NFL dream died three years ago. After going undrafted, his career ended because the unending pain in his surgically rebuilt knees kept him from practicing.

Nobody in college football worked harder than White to overcome strife and reach such heights. Yet, his feelings about the professional success and riches enjoyed by his ex-teammates are clear.

"I'm happy for them," he said. "It does give me great pride, especially guys like Jammal and Mark. . . . Hopefully I had a positive influence on them down the line in college. Maybe they took something from me, the work ethic or something, and converted it to what they're doing now. You play with those guys four years, you're so close to each other, it's kind of like family. You're happy to see them do good in the NFL and move on."

http://aycu15.webshots.com/image/18934/2002282008622287019_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002282008622287019)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

yermom
7/6/2007, 08:18 AM
i know where i'm shopping for shoes now :D

OUDoc
7/6/2007, 08:31 AM
He threw for 81 TD's. :eek:

jk the sooner fan
7/6/2007, 08:39 AM
he was alot of fun to watch

OU4LIFE
7/6/2007, 08:52 AM
no one realized how good he was at the deep ball until he was gone. His deep touch was unreal

Mjcpr
7/6/2007, 08:53 AM
His deep touch was unreal

Two hearts......

jk the sooner fan
7/6/2007, 08:54 AM
no one realized how good he was at the deep ball until he was gone. His deep touch was unreal

i realized it the first play against TCU...who was it that was wide open down the middle of the field and Thompson couldnt hit him?

OU4LIFE
7/6/2007, 08:55 AM
Two hearts......

ask not for whom the bell tolls, Pat...

yermom
7/6/2007, 09:00 AM
i realized it the first play against TCU...who was it that was wide open down the middle of the field and Thompson couldnt hit him?

i think that was T-Money

Newbomb Turk
7/6/2007, 09:05 AM
i think that was T-Money

If that is Travis Wilson then yes, I agree.

yermom
7/6/2007, 09:10 AM
yeah...

after 2004 it looked like he was going to just tear it up, kinda like BJ the year before

OKC-SLC
7/6/2007, 09:58 AM
I will always remember fondly laughing at the opposing teams when we'd be faced with 3rd and 8 for the 5th time that game--and for the 5th straight time, JW found Clayton on some improvised connection.

JW is one of the greats, that's for sure. Good kid, as well.

StoopTroup
7/6/2007, 10:01 AM
I think he has gracefully become the Hillbilly we all knew he'd become. :D

I welcome him into the fold.

I knew he'd be a Great Oklahoman after he was finished with playing Football.

Good Read.

Thx Homey.

SoonerJack
7/6/2007, 11:46 AM
I think I have a man-crush on JW.

It is so cool to see what a great citizen he has become. Props to Tuttle for helping raise a good one!

47straight
7/6/2007, 02:06 PM
"He's got a tremendous work ethic. He's so responsible"

Your dad kicking your *** at pouring concrete will do that.

oumartin
7/6/2007, 07:24 PM
Noth Texas in the throwback game! I knew we were in for a treat after watching him hit B. Jones on a bomb into the north endzone.

KC//CRIMSON
7/6/2007, 07:53 PM
Throw out the 2003 BIG12 Championship, 2003 Sugar Bowl and the 2004 Orange Bowl, and yep he was pretty awesome.;)