PDA

View Full Version : Pokeys tout fact their faculty is 10% non-English speaking

Okla-homey
7/6/2007, 08:04 AM
Those bastages may be smart, but if you're paying for a college education for yourself or your kid, you have a right to expect to be able to understand the prof.:mad:

Nothing more frustrating than listening to a chemistry lecture from Asst. Professor Jugdish:"....blah, blah....valence bond...blah, blah...positeeve...blah, blah,...very important...blah, blah...etc."

H1-B visas, "Best and brightest minds": OSU a haven for highly skilled foreign faculty

By LEIGH BELL World Staff Writer
7/6/2007

About 10 percent of Oklahoma State's 2,100 faculty members are in the United States from other countries on H-1B visas.

Oklahoma State University is one of the top employers for foreigners who use visas to work and live in the United States.

OSU is in the middle of a top-200 list by the financial publication BusinessWeek that ranks employers across the country by their number of employees with H-1B visas. The H-1B is a temporary work visa for highly skilled professionals.

About 10 percent of OSU's 2,100 faculty members have H-1B visas.

The school is the only entity listed that is clearly Oklahoma-based. It joins about 20 other schools, including Yale, Columbia and Harvard universities, near the top 100.

OSU is No. 103, with 223 faculty and staff members who have H-1B visas, the data show.

The University of Oklahoma has roughly 125 faculty and staff members with the visas, according to the school's Human Resources Department.

Employers file an H-1B visa petition to the federal government on behalf of a potential employee from another country. The visa, which is good for six years, is available for specialty jobs and those requiring a university degree or the equivalent.

Research: More than 200 of the 223 visas at OSU are for faculty members who conduct "cutting-edge research," said Tim Huff, the manager of OSU's International Students and Scholars Office.

"If we are going to do the best research and development, we need to have the best and brightest minds," Huff said.

"About 95 percent of the world's population comes outside of the United States, which means the majority of the best minds are outside of the United States, just by sheer numbers."

Bin Liang started working four years ago as an assistant professor in the OSU-Tulsa Sociology Department after earning doctoral and law degrees from Arizona State University. He has an H-1B visa.

Liang, 35, left Beijing about a dozen years ago on a student visa for the United States, where he says the graduate schools are unrivaled.

Now Liang thinks he'll stay. He applied for permanent resident status in 2004.

"This is my home," said Liang, who wore an OSU golf shirt in his campus office. "I'm not going anywhere. This is where I live. I have friends. I love the U.S."

Congressional debate: Arguments over H-1B visas added fury to the contentious immigration-reform proposal in the Senate.

Companies that depend on the technical skills of foreign professionals complain that the government's cap of 65,000 H-1B visas per year isn't enough to meet their needs.

Exempt from that cap is employment at universities or affiliated nonprofit entities, as well as nonprofit or governmental research organizations.

Also exempt are the first 20,000 petitions filed for H-1B visas on behalf of foreigners who earned a master's degree or higher graduate degree in the United States.

These choice groups bypass the annual rush for the H-1Bs that culminated last April with roughly 133,000 petitions filed in just two days.

The Senate proposal would have increased the H-1B limit from 65,000 to about 115,000.

Leaders from high-tech companies such as Microsoft and Google -- respectively No. 3 and No. 53 on BusinessWeek's list -- have asked that lawmakers loosen the cap even more.

The rules: Although H-1B visas don't allow a foreigner to stay in this country more than six years, they remain a punch in the fight over immigration.

Critics say the H-1B process fills and outsources American jobs.

"We are not able to find Americans to do the research," said Regina Henry, the coordinator of immigration in OSU's Office of International Students and Scholars. "We open the application process appropriately, but we find those that apply are foreign nationals.

"We need researchers, and we get them wherever we can find them, basically."

The U.S. government approved 267,131 petitions for H-1B visas in 2005, according to the most recent data available from Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Nearly 117,000 of those petitions were new, and the rest were for foreigners who were already in the United States. But the government doesn't know how many people with H-1Bs remain in the country.

Some leave the country before a visa expires.

Many, such as Liang, apply for permanent resident status.

The wait for permanent residency can take a decade, and applicants typically can stay in the country even when their H-1Bs expire, said Chris Bentley, a spokesman for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Kaan Kalkan, a native of Turkey, joined Oklahoma State University last August as an assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering.

Kalkan, 38,.followed his wife to OSU several years after he received a doctorate at Pennsylvania State University.

The H-1B recipient said scientific research brought him to the United States.

"In a way, the U.S. is a heaven for scientists," Kalkan said. He just began the application process for a green card -- or permanent residency.

"I wasn't actually planning to stay here, but things change," he said. "After 15 years, it becomes like an addiction. You get used to the life here."

Mongo
7/6/2007, 08:06 AM
Gundy is english speaking and I still cant understand him cause of the braces

Mjcpr
7/6/2007, 08:12 AM
Gundy is english speaking and I still cant understand him cause of the braces

Um, you ever heard Sean Sutton speak?

He's got a face made for radio and a voice for the deaf. Man what a great hire that was. :D

TopDaugIn2000
7/6/2007, 08:15 AM
my first English prof was from Romania and I couldn't understand a word out of her mouth. ENGLISH!!!!!! I lasted about 3 weeks and then changed sections. About 3/4 of the class did the same.

Now, I understand that subjects like math, physics, etc are often taught by a foreigner....but ENGLISH?!?!?!?!?!

Okla-homey
7/6/2007, 08:20 AM
my first English prof was from Romania and I couldn't understand a word out of her mouth. ENGLISH!!!!!! I lasted about 3 weeks and then changed sections. About 3/4 of the class did the same.

Now, I understand that subjects like math, physics, etc are often taught by a foreigner....but ENGLISH?!?!?!?!?!

You mean "ENGRISH."

yermom
7/6/2007, 08:25 AM
saying 10% is non-English speaking is hardly fair

Jugdish likely speaks better English than some of you hillbillies ;)

i've worked with a lot of Indian kids and they learned English from a YOUNG age.

now Bin Liang is likely another story...

at TCC i had a Calculus instructor with a bit of a Southern drawl, it was a nice change of pace :)

TopDaugIn2000
7/6/2007, 08:45 AM
no, what that woman spoke wasn't even ENGRISH. I don't know what it was.

TopDaugIn2000
7/6/2007, 08:46 AM
my calc instructor at OU was a North Dakota boy, easy to understand.

now my calc "T & A" was from Russia, incredibly hard to understand, but she could just write it on the board and we'd get it.

BajaOklahoma
7/6/2007, 10:00 AM
One of our parents at school was complaining about the substitute teacher in her daughters AP Chem class. She spoke only Chinese in the class, which did have a high number of Chinese immigrants.

the funniest part of it is that the sub was a former parent - who was the first to complain about our teachers and subs. She is on the secret blacklist for that school too..

sooner_born_1960
7/6/2007, 10:02 AM
being a former parent would make me sad.

Petro-Sooner
7/6/2007, 10:04 AM
That was a huge problem for me to. Trying to understand the TAs. It was bad enough that I suck at calc and chem. I had hard enough time trying to learn it with a normal english speaker. Add to the fact that the TAs couldnt explain the crap in english made my blood boil.

Ike
7/6/2007, 10:53 AM
A few things. This is faculty and staff. That means that quite likely, a whole mess of the visa folks are post-docs that will hardly ever spend any time in a classroom. They are there for one reason and one reason only. To do research. Secondly, TAs are not faculty or staff. They are graduate students. Petro, the reason you had bad-english speaking calc and chem (and maybe physics too) TAs is because there aren't enough Americans going on to advanced degrees (or even bachelors degrees) in these subjects. At OU, we had a decent sized American student contingent in the physics department (maybe 15 or so students), but a much larger contingent from foreign countries. The Americans that aren't doing research yet generally get the biggest TA load but it's never enough, so the foreign students that have passed an english exam take the rest. They still often don't speak english perfectly, but it's passable enough that if you pay attention, you'll eventually get it. Usually...not always though.

SoonerStormchaser
7/6/2007, 10:57 AM
Pokies shouldn't feel bad...I think around 90% of OU's math department can't speak English either...which made it real fun going and asking for additional help.

Six hours later...I finally had one homework problem solved...and thirty more to go!

Petro-Sooner
7/6/2007, 10:57 AM
Oh I understand. Didnt like it, but I got through it.

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2007, 11:13 AM
I guess I'm just lucky I almost never showed for any of my math classes-just worked the homework, had someone hand it in for me, and showed up for exams.

Boarder
7/6/2007, 11:19 AM
"the majority of the best minds are outside of the United States"

Hey America, yer stupid. sincerely, osu