PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 greatest finishes in the history of CFB:

goingoneight
7/5/2007, 10:31 PM
Oregon's *victory* in 2006 is in at #75. Per www.collegefootballnews.com

At the time: Oklahoma was 2-0, but had hardly been impressive. Still trying to jell without starting quarterback Rhett Bomar, who was suspended in the off-season, and with an offensive line and secondary that wasn’t nearly as good as it would be at the end of the year, the Sooners were looking for a big road win to generate a little bit of a national buzz before getting Texas in a few weeks. Oregon started off 2-0, but struggled to get past Fresno State the week before.
The setup: Oklahoma apparently had the win in hand thanks to a brilliant day from Adrian Peterson, who finished with 211 rushing yards and a score. Oregon was down 33-20, but managed one of its best drives of the day and got back into the game with just over three minutes to play on a touchdown run from quarterback Dennis Dixon. And then the craziness began.
The ending: Down six, Oregon attempted the onside kick. After it bounced around a bit, the Sooners came up with the ball. However, the ball appeared to hit an Oregon player before going ten yards and the officials ruled the ball was going to Oregon, and the Sooner coaching staff had the play reviewed. The booth officials botched the replay and failed to reverse the call, causing Bob Stoops and the Sooner coaching staff to go berserk. Even so, OU still had a shot to come up with a stop and get the win, but failed to do it as Dixon connected with Brian Paysinger for a 23-yard touchdown with 46 seconds to play. The extra point gave the Ducks a 34-33 lead, but OU still had time. Reggie Smith took the ensuing kickoff 55 yards to get into field goal range, but Garrett Hartley, who had hit four field goals on the day, got his 44-yard attempt blocked to seal the win for the Ducks.
How they ended up: Oklahoma went nuts. Forgetting that the defense failed to come up with a final stop and the field goal was blocked, Stoops, the OU president, and the entire fan base went ballistic over the missed replay on the onside kick, blaming that for the loss. The national title hopes were crushed anyway with a loss to Texas, but the Sooners rebounded to win seven straight games, including the Big 12 title, before losing to Boise State in an epic Fiesta Bowl. Oregon blew away Arizona State the following week, but only won three of its final nine games to finish a disappointing 7-6.

Ummm... howsabout... if the call is made... OU takes a knee and wins. Loses only one game to ranked Texass and is in the thick of the National Title debate??? Or how about letting Boise in on the National Title game, eh? I mean... it's all about wins, right? Oh, wait... we went "nuts," we're big, bad mean old classless Oklahoma who just wants to win and cares nothing about those 18-22 year old kids who worked their asses off and got screwed. Granted, if the question comes into play, Texas or Auburn... which is the more understandable loss... Florida gets in anyway.

And the reason I posted this... it is not a "great finish." Unless you call the season at 3-0... which is pretty much what their pathetic season did.

PrideTrombone
7/5/2007, 10:40 PM
And "The Kick" clocks in at #77. No spek from the media, as usual.

goingoneight
7/5/2007, 10:42 PM
Great game versus tOSU, but a game-winning FG is just like a game-winning RBI or homerun, there are hundreds of them. I think that kick is great in Sooner history, and is about right at 77. But Oregon was nothing "great" at all. And that was a dirty finish that even Oregon homers know wasn't great.

PrideTrombone
7/5/2007, 10:44 PM
Great game versus tOSU, but a game-winning FG is just like a game-winning RBI or homerun, there are hundreds of them. I think that kick is great in Sooner history, and is about right at 77. But Oregon was nothing "great" at all. And that was a dirty finish that even Oregon homers know wasn't great.

You have to give von Schaman some style points for egging on the crowd, though. :)

goingoneight
7/5/2007, 10:54 PM
Yeah... got a point there.

josh09
7/5/2007, 11:22 PM
Who wants to bet that the rose bowl and our fiesta bowl are in the top 10.

Wow, i CANT wait. :rolleyes:

HTown77095
7/5/2007, 11:32 PM
What loss to Oregon? ;)

AimForCenterMass
7/6/2007, 04:42 AM
Who wants to bet that the rose bowl and our fiesta bowl are in the top 10.

Wow, i CANT wait. :rolleyes:

Rose Bowl is #11.

SoonerStormchaser
7/7/2007, 11:23 AM
What was the BSU game?

MiccoMacey
7/7/2007, 01:30 PM

Gotta disagree.

What's the difference between OU-UO and OU-tOSU '77? If it weren't for the botched on-side kick call, the OU-UO game wouldn't have made this list. It was the officiating that made this game what it is. If the Oregon receiver had actually recovered the ball and the rest happened as it did, it would nevr have gotten the pub it did.

The OU-tOSU game was a classic. OU up 20-0, tOSU comes back and goes ahead 28-20, OU scores a TD and fails a 2-point conversion, actually executes a perfect on-side kickoff, which sets the stage for the kick.

Not trying to be an OU homer, but that was one of the better games I've ever seen in college football.

goingoneight
7/8/2007, 01:28 AM
I wasn't defending the OU/UO game at all. Re-read the post. I think a game-winning FG is like a game-winning RBI or homer. It's a great moment. But it's nothing Texass fans won't argue about their game winning FG at NU last year being better. Or anyone else for that matter. 77 is great.. that it even made the list is something to be proud of as a Sooner. Not riupping you, MM... just saying... we're kinda on the same page.