PDA

View Full Version : Nice story from a comrade of mine posted on another board...

Okla-homey
7/4/2007, 02:25 PM
I thanked him on behalf of my peeps...

On 3 JUL, my oldest son, daughter-in-law and 4 kids were returning home to Texas from a visit to Omaha and Kansas City to see my other son and my daughter. As were entering Oklahoma City, this accident happened right in front of them in the other lane. The guy was going the wrong way on I-44 and took a semi almost head on. Police showed up pretty quickly, but the ambulance wasn't there yet.

John happens to be an ER MD, so he hotfooted across the median, took a quick look at the guy and diagnosed him is a diabetic. His daughter Amanda (9 years old) also is diabetic, so he sent one of the troopers to his car for her test kit. The guy's blood sugar was 35, which explained the accident. (Those of you who are diabetic or know a diabetic will know what super low blood sugar does to you.) He either gave him some of Amanda's @#%$ or turned up his insulin pump and the guy started coming back out of his stupor.

He stuck around after the EMTs arrived in order to make his report, and stayed until the ambulance carried him off. The highway patrol was really glad to see him, and thanked him several times. The EMT's didn't say thank you . . . go figger, but no biggie. They needed to tend to the driver. Amazingly, the guy survived. Looking at the car, I don't see how - other than he had his seat belt on and the air bag deployed.

After the ambulance left, the highway patrol stopped traffic so he could cross back to his vehicle - whereupon the cop asked John if he realized he didn't have any shoes on. I don't think he realized it.

I guess it just goes to show you that if you're going to take on a semi, it's a good idea to have an ER MD in the other lane, that the MD has a diabetic child and a blood sugar test kit, and that he actually stops.

I was going to say that sometimes your kids surprise you . . . but that's wrong. He did exactly what I assumed he would do.

John is just behind the gurney - dark shirt and sunglasses. Note the lack of shoes.

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/22356/2006272543819972414_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2006272543819972414)

TUSooner
7/4/2007, 02:31 PM
Try and tell me there ain't no angels!

SoonerStormchaser
7/4/2007, 02:35 PM
Holy ****! That looks like the Sienna I wrecked inadvertently moose hunting in Wyoming.

Rogue
7/4/2007, 03:03 PM
Holy ****! That looks like the Sienna I wrecked inadvertently moose hunting in Wyoming.

How do you inadvertently hunt a moose? :D :D

Great story Homey!

yermom
7/4/2007, 03:11 PM
well, i hope he didn't really give insulin to the guy with low blood sugar ;)

and that looks like Prius, maybe all the batteries give it some rigidity, it looks better than i would think after a tango with a semi

TUSooner
7/5/2007, 08:33 AM
Was jerk injured?