PDA

View Full Version : STOP EATING! You greedy Humans!

Okieflyer
7/4/2007, 09:23 AM
WARNING! More wacko's just came out of the closet.:eek:

Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy (http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/human-greed-takes-lions-share-of-solar-energy/2007/07/02/1183351126304.html)

HUMANS are just one of the millions of species on Earth, but we use up almost a quarter of the sun's energy captured by plants - the most of any species.

The human dominance of this natural resource is affecting other species, reducing the amount of energy available to them by almost 10 per cent, scientists report.

Researchers said the findings showed humans were using "a remarkable share" of the earth's plant productivity "to meet the needs and wants of one species".

They also warned that the increased use of biofuels - such as ethanol and canola - should be viewed cautiously, given the potential for further pressure on ecosystems.

The scientists, from Austria and Germany, who publish their results today in the journal of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, analysed data on land use, agriculture and forestry from 161 countries, representing 97 per cent of the world's land mass.

This showed humans used 24 per cent of the energy that was captured by plants. More than half of this was due to the harvesting of crops or other plants.

The human use of the natural resource varied across the globe, ranging from 11 per cent in Oceania and Australia, to 63 per cent in southern Asia.

An agriculture professor at the University of Melbourne, Snow Barlow, said the paper showed humans were taking up too much of an important natural resource.

"Here we are, just one species on the earth, and we're grabbing a quarter of the renewable resources … we're probably being a bit greedy."

Chee Chee Leung

OUHOMER
7/4/2007, 09:43 AM
WOW, you mean because the sun only shines on the stuff we plant.

WAIT, I have an ideal, if we plant more, we will take the sun from the ice caps, thus saving the world from global warming.

SoonerInKCMO
7/4/2007, 10:15 AM
[looks at belly]I probably could cut back a little. Give some more grub to a marmoset or something.[/looks at belly]

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/4/2007, 11:28 AM
If you eat more meat, and less plant products, you can fool the researchers, and get them off our species' a*s....ie. WTF do they expect us to eat, already?

Okieflyer
7/4/2007, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking these scientists probably feel Darfur was a good thing.

King Crimson
7/4/2007, 12:48 PM
If you eat more meat, and less plant products, you can fool the researchers, and get them off our species' a*s....ie. WTF do they expect us to eat, already?

what do you think cows eat? i love how you take it personally and speak for species (minus the libz who are sub-human and deserve to be dead, needless to say).

:texan: :D

Hatfield
7/4/2007, 01:08 PM
the announcer on the hot dog eating championship just said chestnut beating kobiyashi was the best event in american sports history

7/4/2007, 02:05 PM
what do you think cows eat? i love how you take it personally and speak for species (minus the libz who are sub-human and deserve to be dead, needless to say).

:texan: :DDude, you need to be able to recognize sarcasm when you read it. Take a nap, or have a Red Bull or something.

GrapevineSooner
7/4/2007, 02:11 PM
the announcer on the hot dog eating championship just said chestnut beating kobiyashi was the best event in american sports history

Was it televised on ESPN?

King Crimson
7/4/2007, 02:26 PM
Dude, you need to be able to recognize sarcasm when you read it. Take a nap, or have a Red Bull or something.

right back at ya. though, it's hard to differentiate your real posts and sarcasm...since they both are nonsense, AM radio puppetry, or browbeating holier than thou illogic.

7/4/2007, 02:33 PM
right back at ya. though, it's hard to differentiate your real posts and sarcasm...since they both are nonsense, AM radio puppetry, or browbeating holier than thou illogic.Kudos for YOUR consistency. Glad you know what youre talking about.

7/4/2007, 02:35 PM
OK, let's all sign a pact to reduce our consumption of food, for the benefit of the planet, of course.

Hatfield
7/4/2007, 02:42 PM
Was it televised on ESPN?

sadly

King Crimson
7/4/2007, 02:45 PM
Kudos for YOUR consistency. Glad you know what youre talking about.

i accept your concession.

7/4/2007, 02:58 PM
i accept your concession.I can almost promise, I'll let you have the last word on this subject.

Harry Beanbag
7/4/2007, 04:48 PM
That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. How much fuel, money, solar energy, and trees did these fools expend while completing this retarded study?

7/4/2007, 04:52 PM
OK King Crimson, here's your compassionate, mature, fellow libs at their best:

STOP EATING! You greedy ... 7/4/2007 03:03 PM celebrating my God-given right to neg the holy hell out of you
STOP EATING! You greedy ... 7/4/2007 03:02 PM celebrating my God-given right to neg the holy hell out of you
STOP EATING! You greedy ... 7/4/2007 03:02 PM ce
STOP EATING! You greedy ... 7/4/2007 03:02 PM celebrating my God-given right to neg the holy hell out of you

King Crimson
7/4/2007, 06:37 PM
OK King Crimson, here's your compassionate, mature, fellow libs at their best:

STOP EATING! You greedy ... 7/4/2007 03:03 PM celebrating my God-given right to neg the holy hell out of you
STOP EATING! You greedy ... 7/4/2007 03:02 PM ce

i got nothing to do with it, and you know it. if you are not popular with the other plebs it ain't on me. and this "compassion" thing is your word. or maybe Dubya's. plus, i''m a Marxist, not a lib.

Jerk
7/4/2007, 08:40 PM
They can do the world a favor and hang themselves on a short rope, thereby reducing their energy consumption (especially when it comes from the sun; it's a precious commodity you know:rolleyes:)

It's like the people who claim that cars are destroying the Earth.

Well...

Then scrap the motherf*cker and start riding a bicycle everywhere.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2007, 10:50 PM
They're not just talking eating. Total plant consumption involves eating, manufacturing (clothes = plants), paper usage, etc. etc.