PDA

View Full Version : Let 'Er Rip!

Shaz-Bot
7/3/2007, 10:25 PM
Lester on the superiority of SEC, the weakness that is the Pac-10 and a dig at the Big XII to boot.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007/07/les-miles-talking-all-kinds-of-smack.html

stoops the eternal pimp
7/3/2007, 11:04 PM
Whats funny is that ESPN rated USCs schedule one of the toughest...muhhahhaaa

XingTheRubicon
7/3/2007, 11:54 PM
He's just getting his ducks in a row before he fails to win the SEC for the 4th year in a row.

Lester and Mack should open a conference championship strip club together and call it One and None.

Big Red Ron
7/4/2007, 01:13 AM
Farkabilities?

http://bp0.blogger.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/Roi0Gi-E7hI/AAAAAAAABNY/xY-tV5i1ZZc/s400/Miles2.jpg (http://bp0.blogger.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/Roi0Gi-E7hI/AAAAAAAABNY/xY-tV5i1ZZc/s1600-h/Miles2.jpg)

Big Red Ron
7/4/2007, 01:22 AM
His last statement has an ominous and I think revealing tone...

"Should something be done about SC?" Yeah. It might just have to be the system, first, though."

Think he knows, by virtue of being a HC, something we don't about USC's legal issues?

KC//CRIMSON
7/4/2007, 01:34 AM
Thank goodness the SEC is stacked 1-12 with great teams like Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Vanderbilt, otherwise Les would really sound stupid. And I totally sympathize with LSU going through that meat grinder of a non-conference schedule against the likes of Middle Tennessee, Tulane and LA Tech.

That pretty much says it all right there. I hope Saban rips him a new ***hole this year.

rainiersooner
7/4/2007, 02:16 AM
I find him offensive and pathetic on so many levels.

goingoneight
7/4/2007, 02:21 AM
What was Les Miles record in the BIG 12, and what's his record in the SEC again?

Today I heard Traber get on his high-and-mighty and called OU fans out for disliking Leslie. Sorry, Trabe... you can like him all you want... we don't. And if that were Bob Stoops, you'd cry about him being "mean" just like you did at media days last season.

insuranceman_22
7/4/2007, 02:47 AM
I don't want either of those teams in a BCS game this year....but it could happen. If does (and I despise suc) I hope leslie get his nuts cut off and handed to him, as Bob would say "in a good way!"

King Crimson
7/4/2007, 03:13 AM
i'm not sure ripping Cal and UCLA is warranted to make Lester's point really works. Dorrell is kind of a slow pitch IMO but both those teams are as good as Arkansas or S. Carolina and better than the Ole Miss, MSU, Vandy, or Kentucky.

that's almost half the league.

SteelClip49
7/4/2007, 03:51 AM
Less Smiles still has a losing record against Oklahoma*

Bruiser53
7/4/2007, 09:25 AM
Leslie is finally getting a chance to play any sucker the country, isn't this what he wanted

Crimsontothecore
7/4/2007, 09:28 AM
As much as I don't like ol' Lester, I have to say he's probably right. I think saying the Big12 has maybe 4 teams that are very good is pretty liberal. Beyond OU and texas, who else is that good on a national level.
The Pac10 drops off drastically after usc.
Whether we like it or not, The SEC is tougher top to bottom.

possumfat
7/4/2007, 10:49 AM
Ol' Les is mostly accurate in the statements he made, but as always in the past...............the man has no class and his sef-made arrogance shines through.

zeke
7/4/2007, 01:21 PM
Ol' Les is mostly accurate in the statements he made, but as always in the past...............the man has no class and his sef-made arrogance shines through.

+1

King Crimson
7/4/2007, 01:38 PM
As much as I don't like ol' Lester, I have to say he's probably right. I think saying the Big12 has maybe 4 teams that are very good is pretty liberal. Beyond OU and texas, who else is that good on a national level.
The Pac10 drops off drastically after usc.
Whether we like it or not, The SEC is tougher top to bottom.

sure, but it's not the automatic world-beater SEC people would have you to believe. how did Arkansas and Auburn do against USC? as i say, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, and Kentucky....South Carolina and Arkansas are half the league. Bama has been down.

and the OOC schedule most SEC teams play is laughable. if they are so great, why not line up and prove it against good teams and not Troy or Louisiana-Lafayette.

snp
7/4/2007, 03:36 PM
Awesome, more SEC circle jerking. The most annoying thing in all of college football.

Beef
7/4/2007, 03:42 PM
Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. It's not nice to make fun of people who are bat-**** crazy.

85sooners
7/4/2007, 07:26 PM
:hot:

SapulpaSooner
7/4/2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/mile03rip.mp3

Oklahoma 52, Oklahoma State 9

November 1, 2003
at Norman
Attendance: 84,027

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Bob Stoops silently stewed as he listened to the chatter coming from Oklahoma State all week.

Oklahoma's coach had the final say after the rout was over.

"Sometimes it's good to be doubted," Stoops said after his top-ranked Sooners beat No. 14 Oklahoma State 52-9 on Saturday.

"There's enough good things said about us. Sometimes it's good to have that sarcasm said about you."

Jason White threw for two touchdowns and ran for another and Oklahoma's defense was dominant once again in ending a two-game losing streak against the Cowboys.

Oklahoma (9-0, 5-0 Big 12) remains on track for the Big 12 title and a spot in the BCS' national title game -- the Sugar Bowl -- while Oklahoma State (7-2, 3-2) dropped a game behind Texas and into third place in the Big 12 South.

The loss all but ends the Cowboys' hopes of a BCS game.

It was the first time both teams came into the game ranked since 1988.

During the week, Oklahoma State coach Les Miles said the Sooners were the nation's best team "so we are told."

There's no more doubt which team is better.

The momentum of the game shifted late in the first quarter on Darrent Williams' fumble of a punt return. Williams fielded the ball, dropped it, then tried to pick it up. The ball squirted away and Oklahoma recovered at the 50.

Eight plays later, Kejuan Jones scored the first of his two touchdowns to give the Sooners a 17-0 lead early in the second quarter.

"They are an awfully good football team, we knew that coming in," a more contrite Miles said. "We didn't get exactly what we wanted from our football team, but they certainly did."

In a game that featured two of the nation's top offenses, it was Oklahoma's heralded defense that stole the show.

Oklahoma State's celebrated trio of quarterback Josh Fields, running back Tatum Bell and receiver Rashaun Woods couldn't do much against the Sooners when the game was still competitive.

"All week the whole talk was about their offense," Stoops said. "You would have never thought we played any defense around here."

The Cowboys had more punts (5) than first downs (3) in the first half, and had more penalty yards (58) than offensive yards (47) late into the third quarter.

In the Sooners' final show of superiority, Oklahoma State failed to punch the ball into the end zone on three tries from the 1 early in the fourth quarter.

After Oklahoma stuffed fullback Shawn Willis on fourth down, the school-record crowd of 84,027 exploded into cheers, Stoops vigorously pumped his fist on the sideline and players were celebrating on the field.

Oklahoma State's only touchdown came on Williams' 11-yard return of an interception 26 seconds into the third quarter.

"We showed a lot of pride and toughness on defense," Stoops said. "Our defense not giving up a touchdown all day, that's the finest defense I've seen them play."

The Cowboys, who came into the game averaging 445 yards, were held to a season-low 161 yards.

Woods, who had 20 catches for 355 yards and four TDs in the previous two wins over OU, was held to four receptions for 25 yards. Fields was 9-of-24 for 62 yards with an interception and was sacked four times, three by Dan Cody.

Bell rushed for 122 yards, but most came long after the contest had been decided.

"They pretty much dominated us," Oklahoma State guard Ben Buie said. "We had to get away from our game plan. They really didn't surprise us. We knew what they were going to do, but we just couldn't stop them."

Meanwhile, White had an off-game but connected when he needed to. He went 11-of-27 for 194 yards with two interceptions and two touchdowns and scored again on a 1-yard sneak.

Renaldo Works led the Sooners with 103 yards rushing on 19 carries and Jones added 86 yards on 22 carries. Mark Clayton finished with six catches for 96 yards and a touchdown, the school-record 17th of his career.

"This was one of those hurdles we knew we had to get over," Jones said. "We came out fired up and knew we had to take care of business today."

The Sooners, who saw their 2001 national title hopes derailed by the Cowboys and then lost to them 38-28 last year, were eager to make amends.

Stoops, a former assistant at Florida under Steve Spurrier, even appeared to rub it in like his old boss used to.

The Sooners added two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter, including one off a reverse to receiver Mark Bradley, who then threw the ball to reserve quarterback Paul Thompson in the end zone.

The Sooners are now the owners of the nation's longest winning streak at 11 games. Oklahoma has won all seven games against Oklahoma State when ranked No. 1.

MiccoMacey
7/4/2007, 10:19 PM
It's called a pre-emptive strike.

Miles knows he's going to lose three games this year, minimum. Now he can say he told everyone and it's all because of the quality of the SEC.

I can almost hear it now. "I told ya'll before the season started that if we were playing in the Pac-10, we'd be playing for the NC. But because we played in the SEC, we have to go to the Alamo Bowl".

Actually not a bad move to keep some fans on your side as you slowly drop in the pecking order of the SEC.

Salt City Sooner
7/4/2007, 10:29 PM
sure, but it's not the automatic world-beater SEC people would have you to believe. how did Arkansas and Auburn do against USC? as i say, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, and Kentucky....South Carolina and Arkansas are half the league. Bama has been down.

and the OOC schedule most SEC teams play is laughable. if they are so great, why not line up and prove it against good teams and not Troy or Louisiana-Lafayette.
True. I have no problem saying that the SEC was the best league last year, as they had a good arguement, but I wonder what 'ol Lester would say to the fact that from 1998 (Tennessee's NC year) through 2005, the SEC had a losing record vs. teams from other BCS conferences + Notre Dame.

illinisooner
7/4/2007, 10:55 PM
So we're told, the SEC is the best conference in college football because teams just beat up on each other, it's so brutal, especially on the road, blah blah blah. Right? Well by that same logic, then the Big 10 is the best conference in college basketball. If someone said that the Big 10, year in and year out, was the toughest conference in college basketball, everyone would laugh. But the same thing is said about SEC football, and everyone agrees. I don't get it.

goingoneight
7/5/2007, 12:22 AM
Less Smiles still has a losing record against Oklahoma*
2-2 is not a "losing" record... but the scoreboard is great! :D

Bourbon St Sooner
7/5/2007, 09:40 AM
Less is still a borish piece of **** and LSU still has no running game. Good luck getting through the SEC with that.

OSUAggie
7/5/2007, 09:49 AM
They had the #2 rushing offense in the SEC last year...

Bourbon St Sooner
7/5/2007, 10:06 AM
Not in any big games when they needed it. Maybe the exception was the Arkie game.

MikeInNorman
7/5/2007, 10:19 AM
Honestly, what's not to like about Leslie Miles? The former coach of a bunch of thin-skinned, dimwitted, orange bumpkins, now transplanted to coach half-wit, swamp-dwelling Bobby Bouchets? That can't keep his mouth shut? That blurts out classics like "Let er Rip!" and "I'll Play Any Sucker", and "That's Not What We Planned" and "So We're Told"? That is answering phone calls from his prospective employer during half-time of a bowl game because he can't leave Stoolwater fast enough? That is the easy, entertaining butt of ridicule and mockery from, well, us?

Again, I say: What's not to like?

BASSooner
7/5/2007, 01:58 PM
They had the #2 rushing offense in the SEC last year...
Fisher is gone though...

snp
7/5/2007, 02:21 PM
Less is still a borish piece of **** and LSU still has no running game. Good luck getting through the SEC with that.

Keiland Williams sure looked good in limited PT last year. I think he'll be a really good RB with their passing game and offensive line.

OSUAggie
7/5/2007, 03:35 PM
Fisher is gone though...

People will soon realize that Fisher wasn't as integral to that offense as previously thought.

Newbomb Turk
7/5/2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/mile03rip.mp3

November 1, 2003
at Norman

one of my most favoritest games eva.

springs sooner
7/5/2007, 03:59 PM

November 1, 2003
at Norman

my first home game i ever attended. Man that was great.

snp
7/5/2007, 04:11 PM
People will soon realize that Fisher wasn't as integral to that offense as previously thought.

How do you figure?

BASSooner
7/5/2007, 04:25 PM
Then please tell me why FSU hired him?

OSUAggie
7/5/2007, 04:52 PM
The LSU offense that has existed the last two years attacked a defense in the same manner as Miles' Oklahoma State offenses (even his late 90s OSU offense). Les is masterful with blocking schemes which allows his offenses to be productive in the running game even when the opposing defense is stacking the box. His offensive philosophy lays boundaries to his coordinator's playcalling (which he constantly overrides).

I'm not trying to say that Fisher was just a figure, but that Les was a lot more involved in the offense than most people suggest. Bowden hired Fisher for a couple of reasons. 1, he had to get rid of Jeff, and 2, Jimbo was the best option that was willing to come to Tallahassee.

I don't think you'll see FSU running the same offense that LSU ran the previous two years.

DalHorn
7/6/2007, 12:52 PM
Their schedule is so easy even the NC game will be @home. sickening. But the one thing Les will do is lay an egg. Expect them to get upset this year by MS state or the like, and winner of Texas - OU to play trojans in NOLA.

illinisooner
7/6/2007, 01:48 PM
Les looks like Mr. Svenning from Mallrats.

colleyvillesooner
7/6/2007, 02:08 PM
I'd love to Stinkpalm Les.

snp
7/6/2007, 02:30 PM
Their schedule is so easy even the NC game will be @home. sickening. But the one thing Les will do is lay an egg. Expect them to get upset this year by MS state or the like, and winner of Texas - OU to play trojans in NOLA.

Virgina Tech, Florida, Auburn, at Alabama, and Arkansas isn't tough? South Carolina and Kentucky aren't pushovers either.

Lucky4
7/6/2007, 02:32 PM

November 1, 2003
at Norman

In the Sooners' final show of superiority, Oklahoma State failed to punch the ball into the end zone on three tries from the 1 early in the fourth quarter.

*The Stuff* (http://www.jimsoklahomasportspage.com/classicmemories3.html)

:)

StanberryWasIn
7/6/2007, 08:09 PM
Man, should have known the phrase would have already been used. Came in just to point out that Mandel overlooked an obvious explanation that any non-aggie Oklahoman could have told him--Lester is batsh-t crazy.

LSUdeek
7/6/2007, 09:49 PM
I don't like bulletin board material in preseason, but that's ol' Les in a nutshell, or so I've heard. :O

Interesting to see that the blog author leaves out Virginia Tech when he lists our offseason opponents. I figure Tulane and MTSU could give Stanford and Washington a game.

Regardless, all of our most challenging games are at home save Tuskielooser. I can't wait for the rhetoric that weekend. There might be a fistfight at midfield after the game.

Ash
7/6/2007, 10:29 PM
Virgina Tech, Florida, Auburn, at Alabama, and Arkansas isn't tough? South Carolina and Kentucky aren't pushovers either.

This was a great point until you included Kentucky in the list.

BASSooner
7/6/2007, 10:32 PM
That one is arguable to many. A lot of people now consider them to be decent because they do have probably, arguably the best QB in the SEC. However, my opinion says that a great QB alone will get you far, but not to prosperity.

Ash
7/6/2007, 10:38 PM
That one is arguable to many. A lot of people now consider them to be decent because they do have probably, arguably the best QB in the SEC. However, my opinion says that a great QB alone will get you far, but not to prosperity.

Kentucky has been good on the offensive side of the ball for years now. But that doesn't make them tough compared to the rest of the SEC. Last year was kind of a turn-around year for them, but there aren't many quality wins from last year and LSU shut them out.

LSUdeek
7/6/2007, 10:58 PM
There are now four coaches in the SEC who've won national championships (Meyer, Spurrier, Fulmer, Saban) and six who've won league championships (add Richt and Tubs to that list). Nutt and Miles have brought teams to the league championship game. Mississippi State has been to the championship game. Only Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt have not.

No other league can say that 8 of the 12 teams have been to the conference championship game of their league much less having 4 national championship coaches.

King Crimson
7/7/2007, 12:17 AM
There are now four coaches in the SEC who've won national championships (Meyer, Spurrier, Fulmer, Saban) and six who've won league championships (add Richt and Tubs to that list). Nutt and Miles have brought teams to the league championship game. Mississippi State has been to the championship game. Only Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt have not.

No other league can say that 8 of the 12 teams have been to the conference championship game of their league much less having 4 national championship coaches.

2 of those NC's were won at the same school--and if you go back that far (Spurrier) the BIg XII/8 has 3 or even more NC's if you want to play selective, strategic histories. there's no de facto reason that 8 teams being to the conference championship game means that the conference is great. it could mean the conference isn't "all that" just as well.

MSU, Ole Miss, USC, Vandy and Kentucky are all pretty much bad to average teams. Arkansas underachieves. that's half the league.

birddog
7/7/2007, 01:02 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g9mKMJVxrk0

:les: I AM LES THE RIPPER!!!!

Flagstaffsooner
7/7/2007, 06:44 AM
EDSBS (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=3584)

LSUdeek
7/7/2007, 09:20 AM
2 of those NC's were won at the same school--and if you go back that far (Spurrier) the BIg XII/8 has 3 or even more NC's if you want to play selective, strategic histories.

The Big XII and ACC (Davis, Bowden) has 2 current coaches with MNC's. The SEC has 4. That's objective fact. Tom Osborne is no longer at Nebraska. :)

I guess you could give the Big Ten Paterno if you count all the way back to 1982. I'd say Florida's 1996 NC is fairly recent enough to be counted considering Spurrier is still coaching in the league.

If Osborne and McCartney were at some other school in your conference you'd get that credit.

there's no de facto reason that 8 teams being to the conference championship game means that the conference is great. it could mean the conference isn't "all that" just as well.

It could, but I'd like to think that over the past 10 years (Miss St. made it in 1998, I dont need to count all the way back to 92) it indicates the relative strength of the conference.

MSU, Ole Miss, USC, Vandy and Kentucky are all pretty much bad to average teams. Arkansas underachieves. that's half the league.

Yet Vandy and Kentucky managed to beat UGA last year, and UK has what some people are saying is the best skill position combo in the conference. Florida needed 2 blocked field goals by their 6'7" Moss to escape by one point against USC AT HOME.

King Crimson
7/7/2007, 10:15 AM
2-10 Colorado played UGA to one point in Athens two weeks after losing to D-2AA Montana State in Boulder. and, should have won the game (UGA) but Mister Football Dan Hawkins never heard of taking a safety.

Spurrier doesn't "still" coach in the league, he coaches in the league "again".

Big Red Ron
7/8/2007, 08:06 PM
2-10 Colorado played UGA to one point in Athens two weeks after losing to D-2AA Montana State in Boulder. and, should have won the game (UGA) but Mister Football Dan Hawkins never heard of taking a safety.

Spurrier doesn't "still" coach in the league, he coaches in the league "again".And Bob Stoops is nationally recognized as the reason "Air Gators" learned to play defense and get over the hump.

picasso
7/9/2007, 10:38 AM
tremendous effort.

great resolve.

I wanna eat a microphone.

SteelClip49
7/9/2007, 11:23 AM
The Big XII and ACC (Davis, Bowden) has 2 current coaches with MNC's. The SEC has 4. That's objective fact. Tom Osborne is no longer at Nebraska. :)

Paterno also won in 1986.

ACC has 1 coach who has won a national title; 2 by Bobby Bowden. Davis has never won a national title; Coker did it for him in 2001.

sooner94
7/9/2007, 03:33 PM
If Les lost his ability to speak, the world would immediatley become a better place.

47straight
7/9/2007, 11:10 PM
As much as Leslie Smirkles is a giant ******, nothing compares to the hack-job PAC-10 homerism on display today on the Jim Rome show with whoever the substitute is. He must have mentioned USC beating Arkansas 8 times. That and LSU playing ULL, Kentucky, and South Carolina this year. Hello? South Carolina is coached by someone pretty good! And you failed to mention either the rest of LSU's schedule or USC's.

Geekboy
7/11/2007, 07:08 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Colin-Cowherd-on-SEC-vs-PAC10-July-5th-Broadcast

I just throw this out for discussion. You guys know me. I'm an LSU/SEC homer no question. Alot of you also know I a HUGE OU fan. I'm not trying to stir things up but this clip brings up good points.

Again......just putting this out to keep the discussion going. Besides, it's fun.
There is literally nothing better than college football and all the arguement attached to it!!!

Thank God this is the last month (July) of no college football!!

Big Red Ron
7/16/2007, 06:13 PM
S-uper
E-rect
C-condoms

The SEC can suck it! They've said "we're the best conference" long enough that people actually believe it.

I'd rather play in the SEC than the Big XII South, any day. Just ask ol' Lester.

Soonermagik
7/16/2007, 07:46 PM

I agree the SEC is tougher than the PAC-10, but Les is being an arrogant prick. I thought he would have learned his lesson from that 52-9 thumping he took.

snp
7/16/2007, 07:59 PM

They beat Clemson, Georgia, and gave Tennesse a tough game. I'm not saying they are great, but an 8-5 record shows that they have made progress.

Ash
7/16/2007, 11:49 PM
They beat Clemson, Georgia, and gave Tennesse a tough game. I'm not saying they are great, but an 8-5 record shows that they have made progress.

Kentucky's potentially dangerous because they have a talented core of players, but it's primarily on one side of the ball. I don't think they pose that serious of a threat to LSU, which was the context of my post, who blanked them last season.

The Georgia win would look much more impressive if Colorado hadn't played Georgia to a near standstill last year.

I'm just not sure you can predict Kentucky will be a tough game or even much of a challenge for LSU until they provide evidence for it.

goingoneight
7/17/2007, 12:19 AM
Just know this... so soon as you pump your chest about strength of schedule... you can get pwn3d. FSU got it in January 2001, Nebraska got it in January 2002, we got it in 2003, 2005 and in 2007. It's very real that a great team is a great team. I seem to hear everyone comparing bowl records to measure conference strength. Do the SEC homers remember that their dynasty was but one season? The BIG 12 owned the bowl crown in 2005... and the MNC.

snp
7/17/2007, 01:14 AM
Kentucky's potentially dangerous because they have a talented core of players, but it's primarily on one side of the ball. I don't think they pose that serious of a threat to LSU, which was the context of my post, who blanked them last season.

They shouldn't be a problem at all for LSU, I agree. But they're not the old 4-8 Kentucky. LSU is a very, very talented football team right now. I'm not crazy enough to place a wager on Kentucky covering the spread, but that they are a pretty decent squad relative to the rest of the NCAA.

The Georgia win would look much more impressive if Colorado hadn't played Georgia to a near standstill last year.

This kills me. Their true freshman QB had a bad game and they had to take him out and still won it.

UGA 34 UAB 0
OU 24 UAB 17

Should we be knocked for one game during a whole year? No, it's silly to indict a team's success because of one game, when they still won. Georgia also beat Auburn, Georgia Tech, and Auburn.

I'm just not sure you can predict Kentucky will be a tough game or even much of a challenge for LSU until they provide evidence for it.

I'm not saying they will either. But the team returns a bunch of starters from a decent team from last year. But I just looked at their schedule, and they may not be backing up my argument for this year :( Maybe they are the same 4-8 team.

Eastern Kentucky
Kent State
Louisville
at Arkansas
Florida Atlantic
at South Carolina
LSU
Florida
Mississippi State
at Vanderbilt
at Georgia
Tennessee

Can't believe the off season has reduced me to defending Kentucky football.

snp
7/20/2007, 02:25 AM
Snoop Dogg's retort in rap format (http://gump4heisman.typepad.com//my_weblog/files/snoop_disses_les_miles.mp3) NWS

When Snoop is right, he's right.

goingoneight
7/20/2007, 03:20 AM
Snoop just owned :les: about as bad as we do. :D