PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Advice

OU Adonis
7/3/2007, 06:13 PM
I am looking for some advice on what sort of grille to get. I have always cooked on charcoal grilles in the past but I have thought about going gas.

I will preface this by saying I haven't grilled a lot but plan on doing it a bit more. For those with more experience than me, which is the way to go? Gas or charcoal?

Okla-homey
7/3/2007, 06:27 PM
You cannot do better than the "Big Green Egg."

85Sooner
7/3/2007, 06:48 PM
You cannot do better than the "Big Green Egg."

Ditto times 10

Especially for a beginner/novice (some one just getting up on the grilling art)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

soonersponge
7/3/2007, 06:49 PM
Charcoal tastes better, only problem is the length of time it takes to cook. If you want to grill alot, I would go gas. I have a charcoal grill for special occasions like the 4th. For everynight or weekend grilling, I use a natural gas grill. It hooks directly to my house so I never have to get a tank or fill it. I have a 60,000 BTU Jenn Air grill and love it. Propane grills work great too. I just am lazy and don't want to fill the tank. Hope that helps.

Oh, if you want a smoker, there are some great ones out there too. I like larger ones than the egg. I put more in it than it can hold.

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2007, 07:40 PM
Gas. No muss no fuss. And paying $800 for a grill is insane.

soonersponge
7/3/2007, 07:45 PM
When it is given to you, it is not too insane. Plus, I would actually buy another one years down the road if it breaks. The warming drawer and all the extra stuff is awesome. Plus, that many BTU's actually helps a ton when cooking thick meat.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/3/2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.squizzle.com/_sed43/14534.jpg

VeeJay
7/3/2007, 07:55 PM
Get one without an "e" on the end of it.

OU Adonis
7/3/2007, 08:13 PM
Well I am somewhat of a Novice. I have grilled some but I need to hone my skills.

So gas easier to handle?

And yeah, I had a typo.

soonersponge
7/3/2007, 08:19 PM
Gas is alot easier to cook on because the heat will remain constant due to the burners.

Mjcpr
7/3/2007, 08:43 PM
I can't cook **** but I can cook on a charcoal grill. Get a charcoal grill...gas is not the same no matter what anybody tells you and charcoal grills are MUCH cheaper.

MamaMia
7/3/2007, 08:44 PM
My husband says that if you know what you're doing, a Weber charcoal grill will do just fine. :)

bluedogok
7/3/2007, 08:51 PM
If you have the room, get one of each (plus a smoker). Right now I have an old gas grill and planning on getting a new one, they are too handy to have for quick grilling. I have a vertical smoker but looking to upgrade to a new one with an offset box. I still want to get a good charcoal style grill, maybe get a tube style smoker that can do double duty.

When I build a new house, I WILL have an outdoor kitchen with a combination charcoal grill/smoker out of brick/firebrick and a gas grill. I have it basically figured out and just for laziness I plan on having a gas-fed lighter like a fireplace.

Mjcpr
7/3/2007, 08:53 PM
I still want to get a good tube style smoker that can do double duty.

Sometimes 1TC is available on Wednesdays and Fridays.

soonersponge
7/3/2007, 08:54 PM
If you have the room, get one of each (plus a smoker). Right now I have an old gas grill and planning on getting a new one, they are too handy to have for quick grilling. I have a vertical smoker but looking to upgrade to a new one with an offset box. I still want to get a good charcoal style grill, maybe get a tube style smoker that can do double duty.

When I build a new house, I WILL have an outdoor kitchen with a combination charcoal grill/smoker out of brick/firebrick and a gas grill. I have it basically figured out and just for laziness I plan on having a gas-fed lighter like a fireplace.

Exactly. I have all 3 and depending on the occasion and time I have to cook, I will select the one that works. Charcoal does taste the best, just is a hassel for everyday cooking.

King Crimson
7/3/2007, 09:05 PM
Sometimes 1TC is available on Wednesdays and Fridays.

oh no! ouch. lol.

85Sooner
7/4/2007, 08:33 AM
Some here say gas is easier because they can control the temp better because of the burners.

That is exactly why I went with the green egg. It is easier and remains at the desired temp with no work at all. With twn min of practice you can get the temp from 180-750 within a degree or two and it will remain there for hours unless you stop it ir change it. Really

Okla-homey
7/4/2007, 09:16 AM
Some here say gas is easier because they can control the temp better because of the burners.

That is exactly why I went with the green egg. It is easier and remains at the desired temp with no work at all. With twn min of practice you can get the temp from 180-750 within a degree or two and it will remain there for hours unless you stop it ir change it. Really

Everything he said is correct.

Additionally, with an Egg, you can be at cooking temp 10 minutes after lighting.

Also, use of the lump charcoal in the Egg is less wastful than using that compressed briquet stuff made from floor sweepings, sawdust and scraps of particle board. Probably healthier too. And, it reduces our dependency on foriegn petroleum.

Finally, a BGE will last a lifetime. No other grill (gas or charcoal) will last like that.

Therefore, if you love America, buy a BGE. Made with pride in the USA (Georgia).

VeeJay
7/4/2007, 09:30 AM
The only problem with a charcoal grill is that it takes a while longer for the coals to be the right temp. to properly torch a marinated ribeye.

I remember at least once when I had had one too many cocktails and by the time I was ready to eat, I had zonked out and when I awoke from my slumber in the early morning hours, the charcoals were a smoldering heap of ashes.

85Sooner
7/4/2007, 10:08 AM
The only problem with a charcoal grill is that it takes a while longer for the coals to be the right temp. to properly torch a marinated ribeye.

I remember at least once when I had had one too many cocktails and by the time I was ready to eat, I had zonked out and when I awoke from my slumber in the early morning hours, the charcoals were a smoldering heap of ashes.

Having a BGE and a Weber Gold C I found it takes about the same amount of time heat up except if I want extreme temps. The Weber will not hold anything over 600 degrees very well. I agree the flavors are much better . More of the food, less of the gas/fuel.

Flagstaffsooner
7/4/2007, 11:56 AM
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_apr2003/GasGrill.jpg