PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dean...does this happen to you?

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2007, 08:25 AM
Ok, so last Friday, I took a trip with Mrs. SoonerStormchaser to go to Florida for the weekend (since I can only get two-day jaunts due to my training schedule). Since I missed her birthday last Wednesday, I decided that we'd go to Disney World (and visit with my dad's side of the family in Daytona).

We ended up flying American...her from OKC-DFW, me from San Antonio-DFW...then meeting up at DFW and flying to Orlando. But due to all this ****ty weather, both our flights ended up leaving an hour late. Then another storm moved within one light year of the airport and they shut it down again. Carolyn ended up doing orbits around the airport for an hour before landing cause they were low on fuel. I ended up sitting on the tarmac in San Antonio for an hour.

Each of us getting into DFW two hours late, we were praying that we'd at least get off the ground and into Orlando at a decent hour...wrong. Another storm moved through the metroplex and we didn't end up leaving til 11:30 last Friday night (flight was supposed to leave at 9:00)...getting us into Orlando at 2:45 a.m. Eastern.

Flying American to BWI as much as you do, does crap like this happen to you? Oh BTW, you know that Southwest is starting n/s from OKC-BWI in another month?

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2007, 01:31 PM
Bump

sooner_born_1960
7/3/2007, 01:34 PM
He would respond, but he's waiting on a flight somewhere.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2007, 01:47 PM
That's what I figured...

NormanPride
7/3/2007, 01:49 PM
One of my best friend's dad is a pilot for AA. I still hate them.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2007, 01:56 PM
We weren't impressed either...we both thought the FA's were snobbish as hell...so Dean'll be glad to know that we're not planning on flying them again anytime soon.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/3/2007, 02:58 PM
:les: AA IS THE DEBBIL, BOBBY BOUCHET!!!

trwxxa
7/3/2007, 06:59 PM
AA is not alone. Any weather at an airline hub creates total havoc. Once the s**t its the fan, the shorter flights are held on the ground until the flights that are in the air and holding get moving again.

We deal with the same issues in Houston with CO. SW has a large operation in Houston but is less affected because it does not rely on the traditional hub and spoke. With that said, I do not plan on flying AA again in my lifetime.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing you did not have much better luck coming back on Sunday.

soonersponge
7/3/2007, 07:06 PM
Ok, so last Friday, I took a trip with Mrs. SoonerStormchaser to go to Florida for the weekend (since I can only get two-day jaunts due to my training schedule). Since I missed her birthday last Wednesday, I decided that we'd go to Disney World (and visit with my dad's side of the family in Daytona).

We ended up flying American...her from OKC-DFW, me from San Antonio-DFW...then meeting up at DFW and flying to Orlando. But due to all this ****ty weather, both our flights ended up leaving an hour late. Then another storm moved within one light year of the airport and they shut it down again. Carolyn ended up doing orbits around the airport for an hour before landing cause they were low on fuel. I ended up sitting on the tarmac in San Antonio for an hour.

Each of us getting into DFW two hours late, we were praying that we'd at least get off the ground and into Orlando at a decent hour...wrong. Another storm moved through the metroplex and we didn't end up leaving til 11:30 last Friday night (flight was supposed to leave at 9:00)...getting us into Orlando at 2:45 a.m. Eastern.

Flying American to BWI as much as you do, does crap like this happen to you? Oh BTW, you know that Southwest is starting n/s from OKC-BWI in another month?

2 and 1/2 hours when weather is involved is nothing. I mean, can American change where storms go? I like them alot better than Southwest. I have been delayed for hours at a time with Southwest and no weather was involved at all. Sounds like you are beetching about something that is no ones fault. All airlines get delayed. You just live with it on move on. Life is more important than to have fits over a 2 and 1/2 hour delayed flight that is caused from weather.

It is not like 12:15 am is a reasonable time to get in anyway. 2:45 and 12:15 are both late.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/3/2007, 08:21 PM
About 4 years ago, I had to go to Hotlanta on business. Before my flight back to Oklahoma took off, we sat on the runway for 2 hours because of heavy rain at DFW. Ironically, the guy I was seeing at the time was sitting on the tarmac at DFW waiting for his flight to Hotlanta to take off.

The next day the May 8, 2003 tornado blew part of my roof off.

soonerboomer93
7/3/2007, 09:19 PM
so flying from hotlanta while you so if flying to hotlanta causes tornado's?

TUSooner
7/3/2007, 09:35 PM
He would respond, but he's waiting on a flight somewhere.
Dean doesn't wait for flights; flights wait for Dean.
There.

StoopTroup
7/4/2007, 04:07 AM
They have been pretty careful about the weather at DFW since this crash of a Delta L1011 due to windshear.

Better safe than sorry IMO.

Delta Crash (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6mjyKuXdg)

Turd_Ferguson
7/4/2007, 04:44 AM
Must'v been a long time ago. I don't think any L1011's have flown for a while. (linky didnt work)

StoopTroup
7/4/2007, 04:50 AM
The planes have changed but the windshear is still the same.

Turd_Ferguson
7/4/2007, 05:03 AM
Plus, equipment to detect windshears/microburst.

SoonerStormchaser
7/4/2007, 09:03 AM
Bingo Turd!

DFW is the only airport I've ever seen that will shut down without the storm being right over them...anytime there's a storm within one light year of their vicinity, they pull the plug.

JohnnyMack
7/4/2007, 09:06 AM
I flew to BWI last week from Tulsa. On time up there. Got us in 15 minutes early comin' home. That was on SWA.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/4/2007, 09:15 AM
so flying from hotlanta while you so if flying to hotlanta causes tornado's?I guess so evidently.

JohnnyMack
7/4/2007, 09:32 AM
I guess so evidently.

Nice to know :dolemite:'s password isn't safe.

jk the sooner fan
7/4/2007, 09:36 AM
Bingo Turd!

DFW is the only airport I've ever seen that will shut down without the storm being right over them...anytime there's a storm within one light year of their vicinity, they pull the plug.

BS

when the flights are landing from the north, they fly right over my house on approach (way up there)

i've seen plenty of storms around the area when those flights are still going

when the storm cell is right over the airport, they shut it down

and somehow i'm not buying it that DFW is the ONLY airport that shuts down when major t-storms are in the area

Scott D
7/4/2007, 10:20 AM
heh, god forbid you have to be in Nevada or Arizona when a dust storm rolls through.