PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you play in the Norman men's softball league?

TopDawg
7/2/2007, 08:59 PM
Just curious.

LilSooner
7/2/2007, 09:44 PM
heh.

Soonerus
7/2/2007, 09:45 PM
I did for about 10-12 years but quit many years ago...after we won the "A" league championship...

Sooner98
7/2/2007, 11:08 PM
I play in the men's church league on Mondays (tonight). The infield tonight was muddy as heck, and the outfield was about like the Everglades. Tonight was probably the dirtiest/muddiest I've ever gotten, playing softball.

BajaOklahoma
7/2/2007, 11:37 PM
Mr Baja did until he dislocated his shoulder sliding into third.

Oh, yeah, He was safe.

King Crimson
7/2/2007, 11:40 PM
i was a ringer for a McFarland team once. i threw my bat in the last game after a pop-up once and they didn't ask me back the next year. sissies.

def_lazer_fc
7/3/2007, 12:04 AM
men + softball = me giggling.

*ducks*

TopDawg
7/3/2007, 12:20 AM
men + softball = me giggling.

*ducks*

Giggling?

def_lazer_fc
7/3/2007, 12:21 AM
Giggling?
laughing heartily over a big mug of lager.

TopDawg
7/3/2007, 12:23 AM
That's more like it.

TopDawg
7/3/2007, 12:25 AM
Mr Baja did until he dislocated his shoulder sliding into third.

Oh, yeah, He was safe.

I know how that goes.

The second part, not the first.

98, the field we played on wasn't bad. It had a couple of sloppy spots in the outfield, but nothing too soggy. What fields were you on?

Sooner98
7/3/2007, 12:09 PM
I know how that goes.

The second part, not the first.

98, the field we played on wasn't bad. It had a couple of sloppy spots in the outfield, but nothing too soggy. What fields were you on?

We were on the east fields last night. I guess the good thing is, that when you slide into a base, given how nice and soft the dirt is, you're not left with half of the skin removed from your lower leg.

Taxman71
7/3/2007, 02:22 PM
Used to play, but quit because the games got too late at night and every other game ended with one guy cussing and threatening to beat up a member of the opposing team during the postgame prayer....and this was church league.

I just assume these are the guys who didn't play (or make the team) in high school and want to make up for being a teenage wuss. I mean, no serious athlete would ever slide in a softball game. That's like taking a charge in a pickup basketball game. Congratulations, you win bragging rights and here is your $10,000 ER bill and walking cast.

SoonerStormchaser
7/3/2007, 02:30 PM
My wife's two sons play for the Harrison Gypsum team.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/3/2007, 02:39 PM
I mean, no serious athlete would ever slide in a softball game.

Why not?

It's one thing to slide, hustle, and have a good time doing it.

It's another to go spikes up and be a cack.

Taxman71
7/3/2007, 03:24 PM
The last time I slid in a softball game was 1992 (in college and fearless) and still have a nasty discoloration on my shin to this day to show it. Since then, I have seen many a broken bone, including compound fractures and shots to the back of a guy's head, from guys trying to hit the dirt like they did at age 14.....even though they are 80 pounds heavier and not even close to being in shape. Besides, sliding doesn't get you to the bag any faster, it just lets you stop quicker and get under a tag.....all of which is just not needed in a recreational activity.....which is all softball is until someone invents the National Men's Professional Softball League circuit.

TopDawg
7/3/2007, 03:36 PM
The last time I slid in a softball game was 1992 (in college and fearless) and still have a nasty discoloration on my shin to this day to show it.

Who taught you how to slide? I'd argue that "no serious athlete" would hurt himself sliding into a base. It's the ones who only think they're a serious athlete who hurt themselves sliding into a base. ;)

Taxman71
7/3/2007, 04:17 PM
The problem is that 99% of the softball infields look like dirt, but are really nothing but gravel and other crushed rock substances only slightly softer than concrete. Plus, I was wearing shorts so it was flesh against gravel. I refuse to wear full-length baseball pants in my mid-30's.

TopDawg
7/3/2007, 04:38 PM
The problem is that 99% of the softball infields look like dirt, but are really nothing but gravel and other crushed rock substances only slightly softer than concrete.

You do have a point there.

I refuse to wear full-length baseball pants in my mid-30's.

And there.

But still...don't slide on your shin. Ouch!

I'm kinda like you, anyway. I try to live by a "don't slide until the tournament" rule. And I'm not even sure if this league has a tournament.

Taxman71
7/3/2007, 04:44 PM
I always give my teammates the courtesy at the beginning of the year and let them know I will not be sliding just to let them get their groaning out of the way early. Besides, the only time a slide should be necessary is at 2nd or 3rd base on a tagup since I will run over a catcher Pete Rose style rather than slide into homeplate.

TopDawg
7/3/2007, 05:14 PM
I always give my teammates the courtesy at the beginning of the year and let them know I will not be sliding just to let them get their groaning out of the way early. Besides, the only time a slide should be necessary is at 2nd or 3rd base on a tagup since I will run over a catcher Pete Rose style rather than slide into homeplate.

Heh.

Luckily I'm on a team with a bunch of guys just having fun. There are probably only two guys on our team who have slid more than once.

bluedogok
7/3/2007, 09:37 PM
I tore my right shin up the same way on the fields at 122nd between Western and Santa Fe, those infields were painful. I usually went into the season with a "no slide" rule but the old mentality took over until mid-slide when I remembered the rule. I tried not to do it very often. I broke my collarbone up at the fields in Edmond, tripped in the dirt on the third base line running in from first. I got up and slid in and beat the throw home and then laid back and thought WTF did I just do. I hadn't broken a bone since I was seven, even after riding motorcycles since I was nine.

I mainly played with a work team (A/E firm), we used to joke that our team should have been called "We're only here for the beer" because we weren't there for any trophies. The church co-ed team was a different story....