PDA

View Full Version : WTF is a DNS- server - failure ?

olevetonahill
7/2/2007, 06:20 PM
Ever since I got this blue shat I get that message alot . :mad:

Mjcpr
7/2/2007, 06:49 PM
I think that's when you don't want heroic measure to save your life.

Do Not Sussitattay or something.

MamaMia
7/2/2007, 07:14 PM
Ever since I got this blue shat I get that message alot . :mad: That means that the domain name on the server that you are trying to access failed, maybe because it doesn't exist?

olevetonahill
7/2/2007, 07:20 PM
SF. com ? slickdawg.com ?

Vaevictis
7/2/2007, 07:43 PM
DNS is the "domain name system". Computers on the internet are represented by a 32 bit number called an "IP address." The domain name system is a protocol that, behind the scenes, resolves a hostname to an IP address -- say, from www.soonerfans.com to 66.34.250.71. (maybe you knew that, but I ain't assuming anything ;) )

A DNS server failure indicates that for one of many possible reasons, the DNS server you queried failed to resolve the hostname to an IP address. It could be network problems, it could be that the hostname doesn't actually resolve to an IP address, a misconfigured DNS server... lots of possible stuff.

olevetonahill
7/2/2007, 11:44 PM
DNS is the "domain name system". Computers on the internet are represented by a 32 bit number called an "IP address." The domain name system is a protocol that, behind the scenes, resolves a hostname to an IP address -- say, from www.soonerfans.com to 66.34.250.71. (maybe you knew that, but I ain't assuming anything ;) )

A DNS server failure indicates that for one of many possible reasons, the DNS server you queried failed to resolve the hostname to an IP address. It could be network problems, it could be that the hostname doesn't actually resolve to an IP address, a misconfigured DNS server... lots of possible stuff.
Can I have that in Okie ? :confused:
All I know is befor I got this sat. innerweb I never had this prob . Now I do !:confused: :(

yermom
7/3/2007, 12:05 AM
it probably means your connection dropped for the moment.

the first thing you often notice is that your computer can't turn the names into numbers, unless you use IM programs, then you notice them disconnecting first :)

olevetonahill
7/3/2007, 12:11 AM
it probably means your connection dropped for the moment.

the first thing you often notice is that your computer can't turn the names into numbers, unless you use IM programs, then you notice them first :)
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
should I go bsck to dial up ? never had this before !:mad:

yermom
7/3/2007, 12:19 AM
how often does it happen? for how long?

you may want to call them and gripe, they may have some things to try

OzarkSooner
7/3/2007, 01:32 AM
There may be some settings in your TCP/IP that need to be changed or may need to be set manually. Most computers are set to establish those numbers automatically. Your particular provider may need some numbers put in that will help resolve your DNS issues. Call them and tell them the problems you're having...btw...dial-up sux, so, that would be my last resort.

olevetonahill
7/3/2007, 05:36 AM
Thanks . Ill call em today ,